• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Lithion's Awakening SPRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Nice interior screenshots. Some criticism for those screenshot.

First: Looks good and clean but it could use some more details in the sides and in the middle. Place some more doodads in the sides such as barrels, crates and etc. For the middle, try placing something that catches attention like a statue, an unusual but pleasant to look at structure. It could also use some doodads hanged in the wall such as what you did in the second screenshot.

Second: Looks great and definitely better than the first one. Nothing much to suggest but you could place some doors between each sections.

Others: Looks really great and quite detailed and I liked those cracks in your 7th screenshot. I have a feeling that some parts of your map leads you to this houses through the cracks which an increase discovery in your map by a number. The last screenshot looks epic and I like that statue, where did you got that anyway? Link please?

For the Calienth, all of them looks great but for the 3rd screenshot, you could smoothen that edge near the house so it would look smoother and better.

Overall, good luck!

Thanks for the feedback Hell Master

I agree that the first one seems a little empty, I'm not quite done with it yet, I'll definitely add some stuff to the walls.

That statue was actually made out of 4 different doodads. I removed the head, shield, and sword from the statue model with Magos. Then I added a shield hammer and helmet. I really like how it turned out because it looks like a completely new model and the doodads make it look like a higher quality than it actually is.

@Heinvers: Thanks for the support!

EDIT: I added a new poll for a question I am having please let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Level 14
Here is a screenshot of something I have been working on. When inspiration hits, I just have to roll with it and this is what I came up with. It is for a cinematic area most likely. I would like to make it playable but I don't know how plausible that is due to the extreme nature of the cliffs. I will add a bridge on the left side eventually. I also added a unit to show the basic scale of the area.

Let me know what you think (keep in mind it looks much better when you can see the water moving)

199238-albums5859-picture81583.png

Level 14
I appreciate the voting in the poll. I think I will just automatically combine items into a set if they are all in one inventory. I think it fits better with the 'simplicity' in the gameplay. That was the one I was leaning towards anyway. I know sometimes other things can be somewhat new and interesting, like paying an NPC to combine items for you, but overall I think it would get pretty old. Being able to combine sets automatically will contribute to the simple yet fun gameplay I am going for.

Level 14
Here are some screenshots of a boss fight. This boss in an Ancient Callienth Warrior. He has been dead for centuries, but if you wish to wield the power of his legendary hammer then you must prove you are worthy. The entrance to his tomb has been a mystery for years. Some say it is only a myth, but it is just very well hidden.

There is a rock wall covering the entrance but once it is discovered the rock slowly disappears showing the ancient tomb behind it.

Here are some screenshots of the entrance, as well as the summoning of the Ancient Warrior.

Attachments

• Edward Entrance.png
    Edward Entrance.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 124
  • Edward Awaken 01.png
    Edward Awaken 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • Edward Awaken 02.png
    Edward Awaken 02.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • Edward Awaken 03.png
    Edward Awaken 03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • Edward Awaken 04.png
    Edward Awaken 04.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • Edward Awaken 05.png
    Edward Awaken 05.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • Edward Awaken 06.png
    Edward Awaken 06.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • Edward Talk.png
    Edward Talk.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
Level 30
That boss fight screenshot and eveyrthing makes you game much more intense and there sure are lots of mysteries to discover in this game (lots of replayability value I must say).

Nice dialogue from Edward anyway, it does fit a great enemy boss (worthy to be called an ancient boss).

Though maybe you should add a hero glow to the main hero. I am referring to the Captain of the Mountain Guard.

Good luck, you are doing great, I am really proud of this campaign, I'll be sure to play the heck out of this once it is released.

Level 14
@ Heinvers and Hell Master:

I appreciate the replies, I'll try to get a video of the boss fight sometime if I can. I really like some of the mechanics I put into it. It involves a little environmental interaction to defeat him.

As far as the hero glow for Glainor, I agree it's another one of those things that I have to do, but at the moment it is rather low on my list. I also want to change his portrait and a couple of other things.

Right now I'm working on triggers for boss fights, items, and abilities. I've learned a lot about triggering over the time I've been working on this so I've had to go back and change some things and remove some old leaks. Hopefully I'll have something really great to show you soon!

Level 14
Ok here's the deal,

I need some help finding a model that will work with what I am doing. I have an area in the Catacombs where our heroes come across a well. A giant bloody arm shoots out of the well and attacks the heroes. I have the arm model and the miniboss fight is looking pretty darn good if I do say so myself. (It throws corpses and after awhile retreats into the well and uses an impale ability that needs to be dodged. Pretty fun fight)

199238-albums6032-picture81985.png

Now what I want is a model that can represent the rest of the creature. I want the heroes to find a way down into the depths under the catacombs where they find a creature in a pile of corpses with many of these arms and tentacles. I have the arms and tentacles models (Models) but I need something to be the body of the beast. Something similar to the Forgotten One model that can just sit there. In order to defeat it the heroes will have to kill it so it will need a death animation, but it doesn't have to actually attack. If anyone can provide any links to a good model please let me know. So far I haven't been able to find anything.

199238-albums6032-picture81987.png

199238-albums6032-picture81986.png

Well, -Grendel's models always look good when they're used wisely as you do^^
It looks like a worthy boss fight to me:)
For a WIP it's pretty nicely layout-ed
--------------
However I'd suggest to tint those skulls a bit darker/
--------------
Also, it's been a long time since we heard from you Veritas. It's good to see you back in action :>

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Your map is looking so good but their are are a few complaints with the variation of the rock path tile, there's to much of it or that's what I think(first picture), well good work and keep it up, could you maybe help me to the link where you got that rock models looks very useful.

Level 14
The rock model is just from B2M's high res doodad pack. I just made it darker in the object editor. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make a few adjustments. Also keep in mind ingame it is a lot darker in there since I set the DNC model to "","" and use omni-lights for the heroes and torch lights.

Level 14
It's no hassle. I haven't edited the models themselves in any way. All I have done is change their color. The rocks I use in the Callienth Mountains are tinted a couple of different browns. The dark rocks are simply darkened in the object editor. I find that a good way to make a model's texture look like it is a higher quality is to make it a little darker. Experiment with the object editor and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of neat little tricks.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
@Heinvers, Theirs nothing wrong with them it is just I thinkk there is to many of them in one place, but this is just my opinion.

Level 31
I looked through all these images and videos devouringly and I must say it is truly astonishing work. Tremendous amount of effort is put into this, especially terrain, all these details are just great and landscapes looks really naturalistic. It gives a pure medieval feeling to it.

Yet hero model pick sharply differs from the rest of environment. Since you should not care about map's size, for example some WoW models would fit in perfectly.

Overally a great job. :)

Level 14
I looked through all these images and videos devouringly and I must say it is truly astonishing work. Tremendous amount of effort is put into this, especially terrain, all these details are just great and landscapes looks really naturalistic. It gives a pure medieval feeling to it.

Yet hero model pick sharply differs from the rest of environment. Since you should not care about map's size, for example some WoW models would fit in perfectly.

Overally a great job. :)

Thanks APproject. I have been thinking about new models for the heroes. I want to keep them relatively the same. I also want them to be unarmed so I can give them custom weapons. Lithion, for instance, is blind and it is important to the story that he remains that way. I would very much like a new model for Glainor (the human) but I want them to be able to use the available attachments. Most attachments work best for the villager model (especially armor). If you have any models you think would be good please let me know. I think I have a good one for Lithion, I just have to remove the weapons.

Level 31
As for model choice, I can not pick or say something is better. You know much better what fits the atmosphere, storyline and gameplay. You could simply check websites such as WcUnderground or Wc3Maps for quality models, I count on those recently. Of course it might take a lot of time surfing those, but it is worth it.

Removing weapons is really easy even with basic modeling knowledge. I can do that for you. As for blindness, it is also very easy to do with only basic knowledge of texturing and so I can also make ANY model you wish blind by adjusting its texture. I can do that for you as well, just hand me the models via PM. :)

I can also adjust size / position of the attachment so that it would fit the unit more smoothly, easily done. I had these problems before I started exploring modeling / texturing. It became extremely handy knowledge for the Iceborn project.

Level 14
Wow that's incredibly generous of you. I can remove the weapons just fine, but that's basically where my modeling experience ends. I may have to ask for your help with some of the other things like textures, and attachment points. Thanks again APproject!

Edit: I have found some new hero models for Lithion and Glainor. Nothing for Hundalor yet, but I like the model I have for him anyway so I'm still not sure if I'll change it.
199238-albums6032-picture83617.png

Last edited:
Level 14
Well it's high time I updated this thread with what I have been working on. I'm still working on the Catacombs since I enjoy the area so much. I have expanded it to include another level. I was trying to decide what sort of obstacles I wanted in it and I came up with some trap ideas and I just ran with it.

A lot of games have traps and honestly they are usually little more than a nuisance. So I went ahead and made these traps incredibly dangerous. They can be avoided and some can be disarmed, but if you aren't paying attention you will pay the price.

The first trap can be hard to spot when it is dark in the catacombs. There are a few trip wires that can send a pile of rocks raining down to crush you. (I will get some In-Game screenshots a little later on)
199238-albums5859-picture83611.png

BEFORE
199238-albums5858-picture83645.png

AFTER
199238-albums5858-picture83646.png

This one is an arrow trap. If a hero walks in front of this wall they will get pierced by a flurry of arrows. This one can be disarmed if you find the lever to close the door.
199238-albums5859-picture83609.png

This blade trap can be especially devastating. It is also impossible to pass until it is disarmed. There are two ropes that need to be cut in order to disarm it and pass through safely
199238-albums5859-picture83610.png

199238-albums5859-picture83616.png

There are some pressure switches on the ground in this next screenshot. They can be very difficult to spot, but if you walk on one it will depress and spikes will shoot up from underneath. Luckily this will only deal about half of the hero's HP in damage so if you don't see the first one you can still survive to look for the others.
199238-albums5859-picture83613.png

This larger trap is inspired by the movie Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark). There is even an Easter Egg nearby if you can find it. There is a safe path through to the other side, but make sure not to step on any of the pressure switched. If one of the switches in hit a flurry of spears will shoot from either side almost certainly meaning death for your hero.
199238-albums5859-picture83612.png

199238-albums5858-picture83644.png

There are some ways to disarm some of these traps. There are also certain ropes that need to be cut in order to open gates and advance through the catacombs. There are ropes that go from one end of the catacombs to the other and if you follow them you will find a rope that needs to be cut. Once you cut it a gate will open and you can enter the lower level.

Before the rope is cut it looks like this
199238-albums5859-picture83614.png

After the rope is cut it looks like this
199238-albums5859-picture83615.png

That is all I have for now. I will try to get some screenshots of the traps In-Game a little later on.

Last edited:
Level 14
Thanks you two. It's always nice to hear that someone likes what I have been working on for so long.

I have to agree that the Hundalor model should be replaced. I like the model I am using a lot, but if it stands out as a much lower quality then I don't want that. I'll keep looking.

Level 14
Nothing noteworthy. I've been busy with my real life at the moment. But a puzzle idea did strike me the other day. I was thinking about using pipes and the flow of water to open doors and whatnot. I'm still working on it in my mind right now.

Level 14
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that I am still working on this project. In fact I just got working again tonight. I recently bought Dark Souls and it took over my free time haha. Also my good computer is down so I have to work on my laptop which makes things agonizingly slow...

But do not fear, I haven't abandoned this project at all. Just got busy with other things. I'll try to get some updates soon.

Level 14
Thanks Heinvers. Every once in a while I need to step away for a bit and find inspiration. Dark Souls is definitely full of inspiration. I love the dark atmosphere and want to try to convey one like that in certain places in my campaign like The Dredmarsh, The Broken Fortress, and Kilkazar's Lair (among others).

I'll probably tweak some of the ideas too. I liked the idea of bonfires, transient curses, estus flasks, etc. I won't copy them of course, but they give me interesting ideas that I might experiment with.

Level 14
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. Finally. Another update.

So the first on is located deep below the catacombs under Stonehaven. While in the catacombs you are accosted by a vicious creature in the form of a great arm extending up from a well. Once it is defeated you think it is the end. But you are wrong. This screenshot is the entrance to The Hole. The Hole is where a much more sinister being lives. The Hole is how you enter his domain.

I've added a screenshot ingame to show the darkness of the atmosphere.

199238-albums5859-picture86839.png

199238-albums5859-picture86950.png

INGAME

199238-albums5858-picture86840.png

The next screenshot shows a fun little mechanic I like to use. I take normal unanimated doodads and make them units. This allows me to artificially animate them by moving them up and down or side to side. I can also turn them. For this particular one I have a bag suspended from a rope. The rope can be cut from the platform and the bag falls to the ground. With a couple of special effects and good timing it appears that the bag busts open and drops some loot. The effect turned out quite nice I think.

199238-albums7522-picture86838.png

Last edited:
Well, I see where your WIP is going Veritas ^.^ Pretty layout so far.

1. Well, some ideas for the first 2 pics: Add some ruined rubble around the well, maybe some fallen columns and other debris (since lots of adventurers may have thought that arm I suppose - the one coming from that well). Plus some cobwebs and broken wooden furniture or pieces.
2. For the mechanics area in pic 3 you could add some spikes below to give it a more threatening look and make some other false wooden platform below. Dunno, but the WIP is great so far.

Last edited:
Level 14
Well, I see where your WIP is going Veritas ^.^ Pretty layout so far.

1. Well, some ideas for the first 2 pics: Add some ruined rubble around the well, maybe some fallen columns and other debris (since lots of adventurers may have thought that arm I suppose - the one coming from that well). Plus some cobwebs and broken wooden furniture or pieces.
2. For the mecahnics area in pic 3 you could add some spikes below to give it a more threatening look and make some other false wooden platform below. Dunno, but the WIP is great so far.

Thanks! Those are some great suggestions. I'll add another false platform for sure. The fallen columns is also a great idea.

Level 14
Looks nice and I like the idea you have for that bag thingy.

Thanks, I have also had an idea for a skeleton in a cage hanging from a rope that can be cut. The cage will drop and get buried in the ground a little, and the skeleton will break apart and drop some loot. I might also have the skeleton break apart and then reassemble into a skeleton that you have to fight, but I haven't decided yet. (The skeleton model will be a bit tricky)

I also added an updated screenshot of The Hole. I took Heinvers advice and added some details. There is still a lot that needs to be done, but I'm pleased with the way it is looking.

Attachments

• TheHole Updated.png
    TheHole Updated.png
    2 MB · Views: 82
Level 14
Good outcome sir ^_^ .

Have you thought of some abilities for that arm or will it be without?

So far I have it throwing a corpse every once in awhile that stuns the unit it hits. He also drops into the well a couple of times and shoots bone spikes upward. The spikes spiral around the well so you have to move the heroes to avoid them. The first time there are two rows of spikes opposite each other. The next time there are 4 rows of spikes that make an X. I would like another ability but I haven't thought of anything good yet. There are also a few cave creatures that come from a hole to attack the heroes too. They spawn until the arm is dead.

Here is a screenshot of The Creature (Keep in mind it is a much darker area Ingame)

199238-albums5859-picture86953.png

Any other ideas would be great because I am also making a boss (The one in The Hole) that has many of the disembodied arms and some tentacles. The main "body" of the boss is still something I am working on. A giant eye perhaps would be good. I was thinking some of the abilities for this boss would include a tentacle impaling attack, a corpse rain type attack, and others of that nature. I want this boss to instill a bit of fear if at all possible...

So feel free to list any ideas you might have, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:
Level 14
Hmm. I have updated the area I was working on a little bit, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to really work on anything a lot. I'm stuck in a bit of a rut and may have to switch to item making, or quest building, or random idea generating...

But just cause you are nice, I have a couple new screenshots for you.

With the last one I thought to myself "where does all this falling sand go?" I guess the answer would be "down"

Attachments

• newpic001.png
    newpic001.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
  • newpic002.png
    newpic002.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 124
  • newpic003.png
    newpic003.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.