• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Lithion's Awakening SPRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
@MoCo
You are pretty close, but there's more to it. There's a secret race that has long been extinct that is at the center of the strange power. I want to keep some things a secret for now. They will be revealed as you progress through the game. I enjoy a little mystery with some cliff hangers that keep the players engaged and playing.

As far as the antagonist goes it's somewhat two sided. I have an antagonist that is very Sauron-like (I agree with you on his lack of depth) without much for motives besides destruction and power, but he is not the true arch-enemy as we will find out. There is a lot of corruption that will be revealed and a true enemy will show his ugly head and throw everything for a spin.

Consider yourself officially a beta tester when the time comes. Thanks for the great input, I've been working on adding complexity to the story so your comments really help.

Level 14
I've added some information on another boss fight with a Corpse monstrosity named Gruhmmar. I've also been working on some quests (which can be tedious work) There is one secret quest that I have enjoyed working on, however, it deals with a secret room with a bed. Once slept in it will transport one of our heroes to a dream-like realm where he will find a mysterious man missing for over 50 years!

Attachments

• Oakheart Dream Ingame 05.png
    Oakheart Dream Ingame 05.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • Oakheart Dream Ingame 04.png
    Oakheart Dream Ingame 04.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • Oakheart Dream Ingame 03.png
    Oakheart Dream Ingame 03.png
    982.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Oakheart Dream Ingame 02.png
    Oakheart Dream Ingame 02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • Oakheart Dream 02.png
    Oakheart Dream 02.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 170
  • Oakheart Dream Ingame 01.png
    Oakheart Dream Ingame 01.png
    939.7 KB · Views: 96
  • William Oakheart's Chambers.png
    William Oakheart's Chambers.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
Level 14
edit: for the record, Sauron did have motives, and backstory. Its in the Silmarillion.

I agree, but I was just saying that in the Lord of the Rings he didn't have much depth as he had no lines of dialog or really had much of a physical presence. But you are definitely right about the Silmarillion.

Anyways, back on topic. I need to make a lot more of the quests before I can try any kind of Beta testing, but I'll add you to the list if you would be interested.

Level 14
Awsome terrain!I realy like RPG-like campaigns such as yours,will there be a demo?

Thanks! Eventually there will be a demo, but I'm taking my time developing some things so it won't be for a little while. I'm still working on quests and skills and the overall flow of the storyline. I'll be sure to post it here when I'm ready though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to get some more screenshots and updates posted soon.

Level 14
I've been working a little on the Opening Cinematic for the campaign. It will follow the main character's father and what happens to him before our story begins. It also shows some back story of the first coming of the Gareth Demons. I'm planning on having a really great looking fight scene. This is my first real attempt at a cinematic so it's a learning process. Here's a few screenshots of what I have so far. It's far from finished so consider these works in progress. I'm a stickler for the details so I'll be tweaking these quite a bit before they are done.

BTW in the third picture, I am trying to get the sky to disappear behind the fog like it does in the editor, but I can't figure out why it's not working. I think it looks silly with the orange fog and then suddenly blue sky. I'll try messing with the Far Z a little, but any other suggestions would be great.

Attachments

• Campsite.png
    Campsite.png
    875.2 KB · Views: 271
  • DemonsComingSea.png
    DemonsComingSea.png
    998.6 KB · Views: 203
  • DemonsFalling.png
    DemonsFalling.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
  • FallenDemons.png
    FallenDemons.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
  • BurningValley.png
    BurningValley.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Level 14
Here are some screenshots of a new area in the Callienth Mountains' capital city of Stonehaven. Deep beneath Stonehaven lie the catacombs. There are many secrets buried deep beneath this mountain city.

UPDATE: I have added some information about some of the heroes' abilities. They are what I have so far. Feel free to give me any ideas you can think of. For Lithion I would like abilities that deal with the fact that he is the most skilled bladesman in Milian. For Hundalor I need abilities that deal with magic and the elements. For Glainor I need abilities that deal with him being a warrior. So either defensive spells or something along those lines. Thanks (I'll be adding some screenshots of the abilities when I have time)

Edit: Added a couple of screenshots of some of the abilities. You can find them in the Heroes section of the OP

Attachments

• Catacombs 02.png
    Catacombs 02.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 198
  • Catacombs Ingame 03.png
    Catacombs Ingame 03.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • Catacombs Ingame 02.png
    Catacombs Ingame 02.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
  • Catacombs Ingame 01.png
    Catacombs Ingame 01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
  • Catacombs 01.png
    Catacombs 01.png
    2 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Level 14
It's coming along, just fine. It's been a busy summer for me so I don't get as much time to work on it as I'd like. I've been working on some more terrain as well as fitting in other random ideas I come up with. I've been thinking about puzzles and traps a lot, any ideas are greatly appreciated. Actually any ideas are appreciated! (Spells, quests, items, puzzles, bosses, etc)

Level 14
I've added a video of some of the terrain in the World Editor and a small gameplay video. I'll be adding a few more gameplay videos soon as well. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Level 14
Here's a little bump to let you know that this project is not dead. I was on a brief hiatus while I got married last weekend. I haven't had much time to work on anything for the last few weeks, but I'll be back at it now!

Level 14
Yes, still in development. Working on a little of everything.

Specifically I'm working on The Dredmarsh. I made a mini dungeon called Driftwood Manor. I'm making it a puzzle to get from room to room with a boss at the end. So far the puzzles include clicking on the right objects to make things happen, hitting levers in the right order, and finding certain items. I'm always happy to have more ideas if anyone has them though.

This area isn't anywhere near complete terrain-wise, but it's basically a small 8 room manor to get through to fight the boss in the basement

Attachments

• Room 1.png
    Room 1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
  • Fireplace.png
    Fireplace.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
  • Fire Out.png
    Fire Out.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • Sword Lever Hit.png
    Sword Lever Hit.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • Wall turned.png
    Wall turned.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Level 1
how about adding a boss (suggestion time!!) a giant undead dragon ( has no wings suddenly appearing in the catacombs and begin attacking the party but only the archer can hit it whta will the heroees do

Level 21
This looks like a very interesting and well-polished RPG :psmile:

How about some new types of puzzles for areas like the manor? Simple lever puzzles are a bit overused in RPGs, so maybe have some type of pillar that changes colors, and each item you find for it has to be inserted at the right time (according to color-matching). If you fail to insert the items properly or don't succeed in time, the items you're supposed to collect blow up and reset to new locations in the manor. Or maybe difficult enemies are spawned around the pillar when colors aren't matched properly.

Level 14
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to add them in, or at least parts of them. I'll give you credits if I do too. Keep em coming, coming up with unique puzzles is difficult.

Level 14
i gave you some rep too awesome map/campaign hope you finish it

Thanks, if you have any more ideas or suggestions feel free to let me know. I'll be sure to give you credits if I use anything. I'm always looking for more quests, events, puzzles, items, spells, etc.

Level 1
Thanks, if you have any more ideas or suggestions feel free to let me know. I'll be sure to give you credits if I use anything. I'm always looking for more quests, events, puzzles, items, spells, etc.
Here is a model it can be used as a creep or boss but I highly reccomend to make it a bosss (it is not mine i just personally likee it) DarkVal'kyrSvH queen of dragons / gueen of death

Level 14
Level 14
There will be numerous bosses and minibosses in each map. It is in fact an RPG also. Not an open RPG where you choose your hero, but one where you control three heroes and travel from map to map. My favorite part about this campaign is that you can travel between maps and then return to previous maps at will.

Level 14
nice terrain there, I really like the style. I also love the map travel feature.

Best of luck dude. I will make sure to test when the first public version is out(alpha beta w/e).

Thanks! I'd really like to make some sort of Alpha version of the first two maps available soon, but right now they are so sporadic that I would need to do some major organizing to make them somewhat comprehensible. I'm working on it though

Level 14
I've found that I need to switch things up as I'm working to keep from getting bored. I've gone from terraining, to triggering, to items, to triggering items, and back to terraining. There is still a lot to do. I'll see if I can get a more specific update soon with some info and screenshots.

Level 14
I've been working on a new boss fight. There is a lost tomb inside the city of Stonehaven. Once you figure out how to open you can fight the ancient warrior Edward Ironfist III. He only fights those who are worthy and rewards you if you pass his test. I have been experimenting with interacting with the environment during boss fights, and this one touches on that a little.

Other than that here are a few more pictures from some terrain around Callienth. One of a cave that can be entered. One of an orc village (How I imagine the orcs anyway). Another shot of the catacombs. A shot of the boss area (Edward's Tomb) and a random crushed barn that I really like.

Attachments

• Cave Entrance.png
    Cave Entrance.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 156
  • Orc Village WIP.png
    Orc Village WIP.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 168
  • Catacombs Overshot.png
    Catacombs Overshot.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 118
  • Edward's Tomb.png
    Edward's Tomb.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
  • Crushed Barn.png
    Crushed Barn.png
    2 MB · Views: 148
Level 16
Seems Awsome, hope you'll see this thru and not give up. You could however use better rock models and get out of the same boring cycle of models everybody uses. How about coming to my Toby's Maps thread and check out The Shadow Orb or Insomnia State, not to mention I am posting wow conversions as well and I'm giving them all for free! Maybe you can find something useful.

Change those rocks I got better ones:
  1. Go to my resources
  2. My Project OVH - Got lots of models here
  3. Tobys Maps

I'll be following your project if you are serious about it and intend to finish it!

Level 14
Thanks Toby. I'll look at them for sure. I tried to make mine a little different from everyone else by changing the rocks color and such, but that will only do so much. Also I have used your cliff rocks from your island map quite a bit. The texture used for them is one of my favorites since it can be enlarged considerably without losing its detail.

Level 14
Thanks mate. Motivation indeed.

Small update: Working on a boss fight with a rock giant, Kor'Maul Deathstone. I have a couple of abilities in mind, but suggestions are always appreciated. So far...
1) Slams the ground repeatedly sending shockwaves out at random angles in front of him.
2) Throws a giant boulder in the air where it breaks into pieces. Heroes have to avoid the smaller falling boulders. (You will know where to avoid by staying away from 'falling dust'
3) 3 destructible rocks fall from the sky. If they are not broken in time they will break apart and spawn small rock golem adds.

These will all be complete with special effects and such as well as certain strategies involved to keep your heroes alive. Like I said more suggestions are appreciated. (Not only for this boss, but for anything! I love me some idears)

Level 30
How is map going on? Been dead for a while but to start off, so you are asking for suggestions at boss? I see it is a boss that maybe uses rock based powers due to it being called as "Rock" Giant so I think it fits to be placed on Caves or maybe on areas where it involves mountains. Your spell ideas are great so maybe I am quite limited...lol but you should remove that Shockwave and maybe replace it with like: "Slams the ground repeatedly sending path of rock on a random angle, slowing and damaging them and at the end of the path, impales the units on the AOE, dealing more damage and also giving them a buff that reduces their armor by an amount". I do think its good to give unique and lots of side effects on spells.

Level 14
Thanks for the ideas. The side effects like slowing and armor reduction are definitely something I'll be putting in many boss fights. I also want to add ways to reduce the bosses armor or damage by doing certain things at the right times. I've been trying to think of ways to make the fights as dynamic as possible with different strategies offering different results so it's not always just the same fight. I'm also working on making it so you can return to fight the bosses after you have defeated them to get more loot, possibly by making them even tougher the next time around.

Level 14
Quick bump.
Project is on a small hiatus. (Not dead by any means) My computer is causing some fits so I had to resort to my crappy old laptop. It's too slow to do anything on so until I get my comp fixed I won't be able to do much work. I'm still working on idea development and some small model editing (Special Effect recolors mostly).

Status
Not open for further replies.