• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Lithion's Awakening SPRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Thanks! I've been working on trying to get the first two maps done enough for an alpha, but it is an enormous amount of work. I'll be sure to post it as soon as it's ready to be played though. Thanks for the support!

Level 11
Now this is something! A nice mix of story, terrain and gameplay, a perfect combination!
I guess we are in the same league as my project is also similar to yours in gameplay.
But you are ahead of me in development and I am glad cause I will get to play yours first hehe!
Anyways good luck and kudos for all the hard work!
+rep

Level 14
Now this is something! A nice mix of story, terrain and gameplay, a perfect combination!
I guess we are in the same league as my project is also similar to yours in gameplay.
But you are ahead of me in development and I am glad cause I will get to play yours first hehe!
Anyways good luck and kudos for all the hard work!
+rep

Thank you for the support! I have seen your project as well. I like it a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is out before mine is haha. I've basically been working by myself for a long time and the amount still to do sometimes feels overwhelming. I really enjoy working on it though and since it is a hobby of mine it keeps me working hard when I have the free time.

Anyway, good luck with your project too I'm looking forward to it for sure.

P.S. I am also looking forward to some more screenshots from yours, I'd like to see what more you have done with the terrain.

Level 14
I've added some more screenshots here. Someday I'll actually update the first post to have all of these screenshots, just haven't gotten around to it.
---The entrance I've been working on to a murderous gang. They want to keep people out by displaying some of their victims.
---A small shack by the river that sells cuts of meat and fish. I'm not sure yet how I want to integrate food into the campaign. I never really liked any of the 'hunger' systems where you had to eat or you would lose life. (More annoying than anything)
---A mine in the border mountains between Dillianhor and Callienth. There will be some important quest things happening here. It is actually where you find the third hero for your group.
---A path into the Callienth mountains. Anywhere away from roads and villages in Callienth is extremely dangerous and you will have to be on your guard. This particular path leads to the Bloodtooth Gang's cave as well as leading up the mountain towards the Korabrin Summit for a boss fight.
---The last one is a mystery you come across. I have been trying to decide about a game mechanic called investigation. I am thinking about having a separate spell book that had things like investigating a targeted unit, investigating an area, or investigating an item. This would cause new things to appear as you solve the mystery. (Still in the idea phase, haven't done any coding yet)

Attachments

• Bloodtooth Gang Lair.png
    Bloodtooth Gang Lair.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 186
  • Butcher's Shack.png
    Butcher's Shack.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
  • Mine Inside.png
    Mine Inside.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 166
  • Mountain Path.png
    Mountain Path.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 184
  • Mysterious Murder NEW.png
    Mysterious Murder NEW.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 200
Level 30
Nice work, Veritas for the screenshot. They look damn realistic though it still needs some work.

For the Bloodtooth Gang Lair, it could use some Archways on the paths and also some more rock doodads and maybe some treasure doodads to show their riches and such (I can see them as some sort of Bandit, are they bandits?)

For the Butcher's Shack, it looks great though you should still work on the outsides.

The mine needs some work. Try placing some gold carts ((also empty ones), gold scattered around the mine, and some environmental doodads that fits the environment such as rocks for the basics.

The Mountain Path looks good though empty at most points. It needs some details in it. Some environmental doodads and props will do for the terrain just make sure it fits.

Overall, good progress and hoping to see more from you!

Level 14
@ Heinvers - Thanks, I can always count on you for some nice words.

@ Hell Master - I agree that they still need some work. By no means are these areas finished. I just like to show some early shots of newer areas I've been working on lately. I'll try to post more screenshots later of more of the progress. I'm planning on making that area of the mine into the main staging area for the mine. The mine itself will be full of tunnels, mine carts, gold, pick axes, etc. Also for the Bloodtooth Gang (not a solid name yet, open to changing it) What you can't see is that there is a cave opening just to the left. The man stuck to the wall is on the right side of the entrance.

As always, thanks for the feedback!!

Last edited:
Level 14
I wanted to show a better angle of the Bloodtooth Gang's Lair. They are a group of murderous bandits and obviously don't care for visitors. This entrance isn't quite finished yet and I am planning on changing the chain that the corpses are hanging from into a rope. I also wanted to show a little blood dripping effect I made. Its pretty simple, but I like the feel it gives in this area.

199238-albums5859-picture78791.png

Attachments

• Bloodtooth Gang Lair NEW.png
    Bloodtooth Gang Lair NEW.png
    2 MB · Views: 150
Level 30
It looks good but you could also add some corpses and skeletons lying on a pool of blood. Try to place two torches also there and there could me more destroyed objects in the ground like broken rocks, crates, barrels and such...

But overall, it looks good as I've said.

Level 14
It looks good but you could also add some corpses and skeletons lying on a pool of blood. Try to place two torches also there and there could me more destroyed objects in the ground like broken rocks, crates, barrels and such...

But overall, it looks good as I've said.

Those are some excellent suggestions. I'll be sure to do that. Thanks Hell Master.

Level 10
There's a lot to read and see and it took me some time to tell you my suggestions since I didn't want to miss a part of your (really beautiful designed and well readable) descprition.

I'm kinda impressed from your screenshots to be frank. Watching Gruhmmar for example shows your love for details just as the lone chest overlooking the gorge.
And look at The Western gate of the Forest. You've got a hand for terraining!

Oh and " ...small things like re-selecting your heroes after you interact with something so you don't have to reselect them yourself and slow down gameplay."
< This sounds really neat! I don't know if all people care for such things while playing a map but I really enjoy such details.

I'll definitly will play this map since it really looks like a lot fun!

Level 14
There's a lot to read and see and it took me some time to tell you my suggestions since I didn't want to miss a part of your (really beautiful designed and well readable) descprition.

I'm kinda impressed from your screenshots to be frank. Watching Gruhmmar for example shows your love for details just as the lone chest overlooking the gorge.
And look at The Western gate of the Forest. You've got a hand for terraining!

Oh and " ...small things like re-selecting your heroes after you interact with something so you don't have to reselect them yourself and slow down gameplay."
< This sounds really neat! I don't know if all people care for such things while playing a map but I really enjoy such details.

I'll definitly will play this map since it really looks like a lot fun!

Thanks for the feedback. I know there is a lot of information to read so it is rare to have someone look through it all. I appreciate you pointing out the things you like specifically. It helps me to see what players would like or dislike. I have more screenshots in my albums on my page as well if you want to browse through them. Terraining is definitely the thing that I enjoy most while working on this project.

I have enjoyed playing through your map as well, it seems you have an eye for terraining as well. The sunken ruin and the cave were especially nice. I'm sure some of those terrains would have been difficult without having the camera locked on your hero, but your implementation was wonderful.

Level 14
Well lets see if I can figure this up somewhat close.

The first map (Dillianhor Forest)
terrain - 75%
quests - 20%
bosses - 15%
overall - 60% maybe
The next map (Callienth Mountains)
terrain - 50%
quests - 5%
bosses - 20%
overall - 30%
The rest of the maps are all between 0 and 10% done. Lots and lots and lots to do. I am working on the first two maps to eventually at least have a beta of them. But like I have said before this is a hobby, so I'll just keep working on it for my own enjoyment and hopefully sooner rather than later others can enjoy it too.

Level 10
I just watched your boss fight video and I've really got to say this: Dude. Wow.
Even in youtube I felt the atmosphere. I love what I've seen there. Everything.

The Light/Shadow, the decor, the sudden depth of the area and the cut scene, too!
The way you set your boss in scene was really good.

I know there's still a lot thing left to do but I want to encourage you to keep up this work.
You do great so far in my opinion!

Level 14
Wow thanks!

@Lockheart and Heinvers

I had worked on that fight for quite awhile trying to get things just the way I wanted them. I have changed a few things as well (Nothing major just some extra special effects and things) I added a special effect on each of the skeletons when they are summoned, I have also added a progress bar so you know when to avoid Gruhmmar's Chomp attack. I also want to add another ability, but haven't decided on what to do yet.

Eventually I want to add some more videos, I have been working on another boss fight with an Ancient Warrior that is somewhat ghost-like he has some great effects and his fight involves you having to interact with the environment to beat to him. If you can't figure it out the fight could last a long long time.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, it always gets me motivated to work on my campaign!

P.S. please excuse the crappy music in the video haha, I'm not much of a video editor so I just stuck in whatever Youtube suggested.

Level 14
I have a few screenshots that I need your help with. I have a couple of villages that I need names for so any suggestions would be appreciated. The first two I especially need help with. The last one is more of a sneak peek of a village you find later in the main quest progression that has been completely destroyed.

This village is a small village near the river that has a strong military presence due to its close proximity to the dangerous Rook Canyon to the south. There are also a few houses and merchants. (Excuse the low quality rocks I will change them eventually)
199238-albums5859-picture80619.png

This village is directly south of the path that runs from the campaign starting map (Dillianhor Forest). The people here make their living from selling to passing travelers. There is also a small military presence that the villagers don't necessarily care for.
199238-albums5859-picture80620.png

This last village doesn't have much to show yet and I haven't decided on the specifics of it yet. All I can tell you is that is has been completely destroyed, although that would have nothing to do with the name of it.
199238-albums5858-picture80616.png

The villages are all in the region called the Callienth Mountains. It is a rocky region with harsh wilderness. The capital city is called Stonehaven to give you an idea.

I also wanted to show a new Day Night Cycle model I have put in place. It is a custom DNC that has a more realistic transition between day and night. I like the look of darkness at night. I use omnilights for the units 'torches' as well as adding lights at other places that need it like around firepits, and at building entrances. Let me know what you think.

199238-albums5858-picture80617.png

199238-albums5858-picture80618.png

The torches that the heroes use can be changed by purchasing new ones from a vendor. The torches themselves are just added as attachments so they don't take up inventory space. The different torches increase light radius around the heroes. The best ones can also help find secrets since many secrets are intentionally difficult to find.

Well let's see. Review, mini review!

The Village is kinda nice and pleasant. I'm not sure about those trees that have billboarded leaves, but it can work :D
I like the destroyed night version, also the fires are really intense and realistic in my opinion. :ogre_love:
- - -
The Night System is great, the torch feature is a BIG plus for you.:wink:
- - -
The details are your strong point, you beat me at that:ogre_hurrhurr:
- - -
Nice environment btw Veritas:thumbs_up:

Level 14
Thanks, I can always count on you to give me some feedback. Just wait until that destroyed village is finished, it should be pretty great (I hope). I saw the screenies from the first chapter of Tales of the Scarlet Crusade I like the ones with the destroyed village, the ruined walls you used are really nice, I'll be using it as a little inspiration I think.

Where did you find those ruined walls? If you don't mind me asking.

Level 30
The village looks well-done for a terrain but as what you have described as it is, it is a military-like village. If so, I would suggest some more barricades and crates scattered in the terrain but only a decent amount of it. Too many of it is not good as well, just a tip. It would be better in my own view if the vegetables that are planted could be a little bit bigger and some training dummies and weaponry or armory to complete the town looking like a military village as what you've described it.

For the burning village, to be honest, I really liked those fire effects. I wonder where you got those. It looks pretty realistic and neat for the terrain as a last.

Good job!

Level 14
The village looks well-done for a terrain but as what you have described as it is, it is a military-like village. If so, I would suggest some more barricades and crates scattered in the terrain but only a decent amount of it. Too many of it is not good as well, just a tip. It would be better in my own view if the vegetables that are planted could be a little bit bigger and some training dummies and weaponry or armory to complete the town looking like a military village as what you've described it.

For the burning village, to be honest, I really liked those fire effects. I wonder where you got those. It looks pretty realistic and neat for the terrain as a last.

Good job!

Thanks for the feedback. I can't remember where I found the fire, but if I do I'll link it to you. As far as the village goes, it's not meant to be a military outpost, but rather a small military presence has been assigned to protect the village. The smaller village already has some updates to include some palisade walls, tents, lookout towers, etc in a small corner. I like the idea of training dummies though. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Any ideas for names for these villages?

EDIT: Found it. Right here on the Hive Flames and Smoke
Bonus effect by Peekay that is really nice Volcano Ashes

Level 14
Here's a little sneak peek of what I'm thinking. I'll probably have a couple of piers or docks going out into the river as well. I'll also add some archery targets and of course some units.

199238-albums5859-picture80644.png

Level 14
I really like that burned village scenery, idk why but it somehow remind me with a scene when sephiroth burned down whole Nibelheim. I've checked the 1st page and the whole terrain has been massively improved since the last time I saw it, keep up the awesome work!

anyway, this is going to be like Rexxar campaign, right? how much total size of current whole campaign so far? if you don't mind me to ask.

Level 14
anyway, this is going to be like Rexxar campaign, right? how much total size of current whole campaign so far? if you don't mind me to ask.

It will be like the Rexxar campaign, but it's more complex than having 3 main maps with small maps branching off. This is more like a web of maps. So far only three have been put together, but I have the Game Cache part figured out. So far the campaign is a little under 100 MB. But I've been working on getting rid of some old models I don't use anymore to save size. Thanks for the nice comments!

@Heinvers: Thanks for the tips as always.

@RoaminG: Thanks! glad to see people are interested.

Level 14
Continue this :D ! I like it much < 3.

Thanks, I certainly will continue working on it.

By the way if anyone has any ideas about pretty much anything, I'd be happy to hear them. I will give you credit if I use an idea of yours as well. I'm always looking for abilities, items, quests, bosses, terrain/areas, anything!

Level 11
A lot has happened here since the last time I was here and I am feeling kind of lost. I need to go through the last few pages to get updated, yes.
The terrains on page 8 and 9 are looking fantastic.
If you want some specific ideas, lore master N.Knight is at your disposal, you can PM me or ask here. I will help gladly.

Level 14
I'm afraid I like to put my updates and new screenshots throughout the thread rather than in the OP. I should really update that sometime...

Thanks for the support NKnight001 I may PM you soon to get your input on some ideas and decisions I'm making. Until then, feel free to post any ideas you might have here on the thread. I've been stuck trying to think of names lately.

@Heinvers, always nice to hear from you. I appreciate it

Level 14
Here are a few more screenies. I have updated the small military camp in the village. There is now an archery range, some docks, and some small environmental updates.

199238-albums5859-picture80977.png

I added a couple screenshots from an ingame view. This shows the difference from nighttime to daytime.

199238-albums5858-picture80975.png

199238-albums5858-picture80974.png

The last screenshot is an example of some of the secrets hidden all over the maps. This one is a golden beetle. Every 10 seconds a small puff of dust appears near a golden beetle accompanied by a tell-tale sound. If you have a shovel you can dig near the dust and a golden beetle will pop up. Once you kill it (very easily, it doesn't fight back) you can collect its shell. Once you've collected enough something good is bound to happen...

199238-albums5858-picture80976.png

Level 14
the Golden Beetle idea is nice(I'm glad to see that we can discover secrets and such:thumbs_up:)

Thanks, I always liked secrets and extra things to find. One of the games I get inspiration from is Zelda and they always seem to have extra things like that. The same goes for Fable. I want to add a lot of secrets that will give players a sense of accomplishment when they are found. Some are easy to find and some are very difficult, but if you look for clues you should have decent success in tracking them down.

There are dig spots, golden beetles, finding weathered pages, books that can be read, footprints to follow, etc. Making secrets is one of my favorite things to do.

Level 30
A really amazing update I must say. The terrain is much better I must say. Good and clean tile variations.

The ideas of secrets and stuffs is really great because seeing and noticing here, most RPGs misses and disregards this now which is disappointing actually and I am happy that there is one here.

You're in the right track of making a great SPRPG, I definitely think so! Keep up the good work.

Level 14
@Hell Master: Thanks for checking this out. I look back at the progress I've made and I like to see the improvement in my terraining and overall idea generation and execution. The thing I am most concerned about is character development. I've been trying to add more depth to the characters and it will show during cinematics and cut-scenes I hope. It is difficult to make up personalities of the heroes and characters they encounter.

@Chenralstrasz: I appreciate your nice words about the terrain, I've been working hard to make things look as nice as possible. I feel like it's all in the details. Even if only one person out of a hundred would notice it, I still feel like it's worth is. Please let me know what you think once you have read some more about the project. (I know there is a lot of info to sift through)

I feel like it's all in the details. Even if only one person out of a hundred would notice it, I still feel like it's worth is.
You're right. Some have different tastes when it comes to terrains but I'd say your work so far really pays off. The story you made sounds good and pretty much interesting. 'will check your thread constantly:wink:

Level 14
I thought I'd add some more screenshots. Here are a few of the interiors in Callienth. Most of the buildings in Lithion's Awakening are enterable so this is an idea of what some of them will look like on the inside. I will add some from my other maps later on.

199238-albums7205-picture81400.png

199238-albums7205-picture81399.png

199238-albums7205-picture81406.png

199238-albums7205-picture81405.png

199238-albums7205-picture81404.png

199238-albums7205-picture81403.png

199238-albums7205-picture81402.png

199238-albums7205-picture81401.png

199238-albums5859-picture81408.png

Additional information about each interior can be found in my albums here

I also have a few more screenshots of Stonehaven and Callienth that are a little more updated. For instance the Stonehaven Gate has been changed and updated. I have been trying to replace any low quality models with higher quality ones.

199238-albums5859-picture81410.png

199238-albums5859-picture81411.png

199238-albums5859-picture81407.png

199238-albums5859-picture81409.png

199238-albums5859-picture81412.png

199238-albums5859-picture81413.png

Additional information and more screenshots can be found in my albums here

Level 30
Nice interior screenshots. Some criticism for those screenshot.

First: Looks good and clean but it could use some more details in the sides and in the middle. Place some more doodads in the sides such as barrels, crates and etc. For the middle, try placing something that catches attention like a statue, an unusual but pleasant to look at structure. It could also use some doodads hanged in the wall such as what you did in the second screenshot.

Second: Looks great and definitely better than the first one. Nothing much to suggest but you could place some doors between each sections.

Others: Looks really great and quite detailed and I liked those cracks in your 7th screenshot. I have a feeling that some parts of your map leads you to this houses through the cracks which an increase discovery in your map by a number. The last screenshot looks epic and I like that statue, where did you got that anyway? Link please?

For the Calienth, all of them looks great but for the 3rd screenshot, you could smoothen that edge near the house so it would look smoother and better.

Overall, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.