• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Line Tower Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Project: Produce a balanced and efficient Line Tower Wars map with additional functionality.

Prologue
I'm a sucker for some of the simpler maps. There's a certain knack to them and most B.netters can bare to wait the few seconds it takes to get a game up and running.

However, there seems to be some major deficiencies in this map type. As far as I've seen there is no major developer producing a stable, balanced map. There's just loads of noob-edit versions with bugs, cheats and terrible flaws.

I'm seriously considering starting up my own take on this map type and maintaining a stable version with some new features and concepts.

I decided to make this thread to gauge how much interest people have in playing this map type. Also, anyone is welcome to share their experiences on such maps, any suggestions or whether you'd be interested in me taking on this project!
What is a LTW map?
Players should perform two main activities during a game: produce a defence to prevent enemy units reaching their end point within a lane and summoning their own forces to travel enemy lanes. A player loses lives when enemy summons are not stopped and gains lives when their summons reach the end of an enemy lane.

Each unit summoned adds a varying increment to a player's periodic income and each enemy unit killed gives a one-time bounty of gold. To maintain a strong income and defence, a player must balance spending gold on summons and towers.
The immediate improvements to be included

Improved triggers. Existing map triggering is horribly inefficient and leaky. Though I'm making the map from scratch, this should prevent a lot of the lag problems other maps have.

Game types. Team play is fun! All maps I've seen are either single or team, no choice within a single map.

Accomodation for problems. If a player's ally leaves or drops, they will be compensated sufficiently to maintain a fair chance of winning.

Summoning limits. To prevent spamming of summons (such as mass low level units once a player has a higher income), every summon will have a food cost.
New additions include

Items and inventories
A new functionality for all towers is an inventry for items to be added for improved tower effects. Some players prefer quality over quantity. Items will allow customisation and advanced ability for individual towers.
Invading units
Not all summons will be harmless pincushions. Players will be able to summon special units on occasion, such as attacking heroes. Since players can control their own summons within an enemy lane, managing the abilities of an invader can increase the efficiency of offensive ventures.
Dungeon theme
Human towers vs sheep gets old real fast. This map will use a dungeon theme by default, with rarer unit models and effects. Players of Dungeon Keeper will appreciate some of the units, sounds and concepts involved!
Multiple spawn systems

Players can employ several different means of summoning armies into enemy lanes. Manual summons generate income per cast, but detract attention from your defences or offensive lane management. A mass summon option is available, allowing a player to purchase bulk summons with one click, funds permitting.

A series of automated spawns are availble for players. They are spawned every turn but do not generate income - because they are free. Automatic spawns can be up upgraded and evolved through research.
Tower types
Single target (spear)
Splash (fire)
Slow (frost)
Damage-over-time (poison)
Chain attack (lightning)

Item bonuses
Damage
Stun
Aura
Merchant

Last edited:
Level 15
Positive response :)

The immediate improvements to be included:
Improved triggers. Existing map triggering is horribly inefficient and leaky. Though I'm making the map from scratch, this should prevent a lot of the lag problems other maps have.
Game types. Team play is fun! All maps I've seen are either single or team, no choice within a single map.
Accomodation for problems. If a player's ally leaves or drops, they will be compensated sufficiently to maintain a fair chance of winning.

New additions include:
Items and inventries. A new functionality for all towers is an inventry for items to be added for improved tower effects. Some players prefer quality over quantity. Items will allow customisation and advanced ability for individual towers.

Last edited:
Level 15
Maybe if you'd read the first post you would have gauged there is no map to attach. As per the forum description, I am talking about my project in development and asking questions.

So, if the moderators really want to waste their time moving this thread elsewhere for a few hours until this project progresses, go ahead.

Last edited:
Level 3
Tower wars maps lack that thing called... hmm what's the name again?... ah yeah, they lack fun. I mean, it's crazy non-stop action but it really isn't fun. It's all about winning. And you only play it again because you wanna win some more. This applies to all LTW maps out there I've seen.

If your map, after finished, is FUN (and I mean something like dota or even normal warcraft 3 games through bnet), it will definitely be a success.

Here's a tip: the only TD map I've played that made me play it more than once was Wintermaul, since it's the one that requires the most player cooperation in order to win and it's not single player.

Another tip: multiplayer games are not about being a god among noobs. Single player sucks. Cooperation is the road to an enjoyable map.

Hope my brainstormed post helped ya.

Level 15
You didn't really say anything. Everyone wants a game to be fun, since there's no lasting prize for winning.

Also, you didn't define what you think is fun other than a hint of co-operation - I've stated there will be a team version.

I don't think Dota or melee is fun. DOTA is incredibly repetitive and dull, Melee is horribly broken with heroes.

Level 14
I'd like to see a mode where each player's spawns go up against EVERY other player. Probably be difficult to achieve, but it would remove the issue of some players having an easy victory because the player behind them was crap, while another better player has to focus more on defence and so loses.

Level 15
Good point Griffen.

When a player does not send summons, his neighbour does not receive bounty from their kills, so falls behind.

In some maps you could make summons that can kill your own - made to help remove conjestion assumably, but these could be abused to kill ALL your summons so that your neighbour got no bounty, while you still got summon income. A few players employ this purposely, but you have to bear in mind you can't steal lives if you're killing your own spawns.

I hope to address this since it can seriously affect some games when newbies are involved. I also plan to include some automated spawn systems.

Level 7
How are you going to handle summons that get past players? Where are they relocated to next? Maybe distributed randomly, but players with less income have more priority.

Level 15
Toying with a few ideas.

Obviously if a player leaves, their lane will become defunct and removed from the location arrays.

I'm thinking about doing a chaos mode, where every few turns all the spawn points switch randomly, so players will be attacking someone else each round. This may be a problem if players have existing units in a lane - multiple player spawns in one lane would clash.

Another idea is a rumble pool. Something along the lines of victorious spawns ending up in a central pit to fight it out. I may let players choose to send spawns to [set lane], [random lane], [rumble pit] or such.

Level 3
You didn't really say anything. Everyone wants a game to be fun, since there's no lasting prize for winning.

Also, you didn't define what you think is fun other than a hint of co-operation - I've stated there will be a team version.

I don't think Dota or melee is fun. DOTA is incredibly repetitive and dull, Melee is horribly broken with heroes.

I just wanted to stress how important fun is on a multiplayer map. And that's kind of a problem with TD maps in general, since they tend to be very single player-like.

But looks like you've got some really nice ideas! I like how this chaos mode sounds and I'm looking forward to playtesting your map! :wink:

Anyway, another problem of LTW maps is the massive amount of units players tend to send. They really lag the game (even if they're properly handled when created/removed) and make people drop/quit. Nobody like to see the entrance of his/her maze crowded with stopped units.

Level 15
Anyway, another problem of LTW maps is the massive amount of units players tend to send. They really lag the game (even if they're properly handled when created/removed) and make people drop/quit. Nobody like to see the entrance of his/her maze crowded with stopped units.

This will be addressed by shorter lanes and food costs for summons.

Level 3
the towers will really be towers, or just units that is always facing 270 degress, launching the projectiles from the center of theyr bodyes?

He's talking about towers based on unit models, and how weird it is that they're always facing the same direction and the projectiles they launch come from the center of them.

Level 15
Do not double post.
There is an edit button for a reason.

L.O.L.

He's talking about towers based on unit models, and how weird it is that they're always facing the same direction and the projectiles they launch come from the center of them.

Well, most building-looking units look the same at any angle. I'm not a fan of using non- buildings for towers, but if it does happen, I'll give them root so that they can rotate.

Last edited:
Level 3
Well, most building-looking units look the same at any angle. I'm not a fan of using non- buildings for towers, but if it does happen, I'll give them root so that they can rotate.

That's a much needed eye candy many TD maps lack, cool. :thumbs_up:

Level 15
In fact, I'm pretty certain I wont use any 'units' as towers. It just looks so stupid.

Here's some 1337 mathematics:

1337mq6.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Here's an idea.
I don't know if you will like it but, if you do, Nice!

The spawn you buys goes to your area, so you can kill them.
Then, if you kill the mobs you spawned, they will spawn for the other players.

Ex: I spawn a chicken.
I kill the chicken.
I recieve bounty award.
The player next to me recieve a chicken for a spawn.

I don't know if this thing is too ''triggering'' but yeah, i had this idea in mind =)

Level 3
Here's an idea.
I don't know if you will like it but, if you do, Nice!

The spawn you buys goes to your area, so you can kill them.
Then, if you kill the mobs you spawned, they will spawn for the other players.

Ex: I spawn a chicken.
I kill the chicken.
I recieve bounty award.
The player next to me recieve a chicken for a spawn.

I don't know if this thing is too ''triggering'' but yeah, i had this idea in mind =)

Not hard at all to code, and could at least be an alternative mode. I'd like to play it :thumbs_up:

Level 15
Brainstorming unit types, items and towers.

Towers

Type
Features

Thorn
Point attack, piercing damage

Fire
Splash attack, siege damage

Frost
Variable attack, normal damage, slows

Lightning
Chain attack, normal damage

Poison
Point attack, normal damage, damage over time

Level
Features

Basic

1 Inventory slot

2 Inventory slots

3 Inventory slots

Items

Item
Bonus

Summons

Type
Attributes

Basic
None

Fast
Increased speed

Tough
Armoured

Immune
Magic protection

Support
Beneficial aura

Type
Attributes

Basic
None

Swift
Increased speed and dodge

Resiliant
Armoured and regeneration

Impervious
Protected from all negative effects

Command
Aura and resurrection

Type
Attributes

Basic
None

Stealth
Increased speed, dodge and stealth

Juggernaut
Armour, regeneration, thorns

Phased
Immune to all negative effects, mana shield

General
Aura, resurrection, raise dead

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Just brainstorming.

Generic Items

Item
Bonus

Damage Boost
+1-10 Damage

Speed Boost
+1-100% Attack Speed

Orb Items

Item
Bonus

Orb of Lightning
Chance of dispelling - No extra Damage.

Orb of Feedback
Burns away mana and deals damage - Only effective against boss/buffer units, since regular units doesn't use mana.

Orb of Poison
Slow movement and small DoT

Ord of Fire
Small splash damage - No extra damage.

Ord of Wintry Burst
Chance of Frost Nova

Ord of the Unstable Flame
Incinerating Arrow(passive)

Special Items

Item
Bonus

Commanders Horn
Decrease attack speed by 50% but increases nearby allies damage by 10%

Burning Oil
Drop Burning Oil on enemies that comes too close.(Phoenix Fire)

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Ahh, that's true, most of the items was ideas from an old TD of mine, where all towers did 0-0 damage, and had 1 sec cooldown, then you built the towers using items. Like adding splash damage, or slow, but if you added large amounts of damage, you'd sacrifice attack speed, and vica versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.