• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Lightning effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Here are the importing instructions that I posted on another thread:

1. Export LightningData.slk from War3x.mpq with mpq viewer.
2. Copy-paste one line in that file. Important fields:
  • Change 'name' to a 4-letter string that you can remember, I used BLUE.
  • 'Dir' is the path where you will import the texture, it can be anything, but I used ReplaceableTextures\Weather.
  • 'File' is the filename of the skin (LaserBlue.blp).
  • The rest of the fields are for configuration, to change the shape and colour of the lightning. Those aren't so important for the lightning to work, you can just experiment with them to get the best effect.
3. Import the LightningData.slk and the skin to your map. LightningData.slk must be imported to Splats\LightningData.slk and the skin to the path you defined in LightningData.slk. (in my example, ReplaceableTextures\Weather\LaserBlue.blp)
4. To use the lightning in a spell, hold shift and double-click on the lightning effect -field of a spell, and change it to the name that you set in LightningData.slk (BLUE in my example).

I sometimes get an error when opening LightningData.slk with excel, but usually it opens fine when I try again. If it still gives an error, your LightningData.slk file may be corrupted, in which case you should try to extract it from the MPQ file again.

Level 11
Level 10
You import the slk file in the map, so other players have it too, if they download the map. You have to import both, the slk file and the new skin (unless you're using original skins). If you edit the slk file after importing it, you have to import it again. So yes, other players will see the lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.