• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
That's fantastic! We're up to 9 playable classes! If you could, please make a trigger in the utility triggers area for both a Hub and Rest Area start so editors can quickly test your map!

There is also the Boss 1 and Boss 2 who drop loot based on class ID, so make sure you put those in (they drop boosts for each class's key stat), or at least say if you don't do it so I can make the quick changes when I have a chance!

I look forward to seeing your work Silva!

Level 6
Done.

Change log :
1- added a new class. The Lord Paladin. This hero provides support to his allies, from healing, protecting and resurrecting. He grows stronger as the game persists. And his ultimate is his most powerful weapon.

2- added a new utility cheat ( -ClassChange ) which teleports the Jack to the, you guesses it, the class change area.

3- Bugs found : a. Mind Leech's Influence will bug the snowy mountains scenario and it will not finish.

b. randomly teleport the player to old cinematics or areas while playing. (from grand arena's final boss to the class change area. Or from Warden Halls to exit of the Force Field). I don't know why this is happening.

Attachments

• Jack's Adventure (for editing).w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
Level 6
Done.

Change log :
1- added a new class. The Lord Paladin. This hero provides support to his allies, from healing, protecting and resurrecting. He grows stronger as the game persists. And his ultimate is his most powerful weapon.

2- added a new utility cheat ( -ClassChange ) which teleports the Jack to the, you guesses it, the class change area.

3- Bugs found : a. Mind Leech's Influence will bug the snowy mountains scenario and it will not finish.

b. randomly teleport the player to old cinematics or areas while playing. (from grand arena's final boss to the class change area. Or from Warden Halls to exit of the Force Field). I don't know why this is happening.

!!!Editing Done!!!

First of all: Silva, due to some compiling errors in the Global Jass, the paladin's abilities were disabled when I tried to test the map. I was unable to fully test the Lord Paladin class. There were numerous compiling errors I encountered.
I'd also suggest you either give the Lord Paladin an ability to summon companions (possibly just as a normal, non-hero power, perhaps summoning 1 unit for every 4 levels he has), or change resurrect to another power, since reviving allies will nearly never be useful. I also made a slight change to the scene 2 finished trigger in your starting area so Jack gets skills back, otherwise it's easy to miss that your skills were removed.
I really like the class idea!

Change Log:

The description of the Final Boss encounter in the triggers is now accurate for phase 3.

The Frost Nova that opens the AoE portion of phase 2 of the Final Boss now inflicts a cold that lasts 20 seconds instead of 5, making it harder to avoid the blizzards. This has been balanced by a reduced damage of the Nova itself.

The Feedback ability of the Meltdowns that close the AoE portion of the Final Boss is now more powerful. This change was made to accommodate for the spell resistance that a hero holding the Frozen Flame gets.

The power of the potions Jack can purchase in the Rest Area or that drop from enemies have been increased. So has the power of the Scroll of Restoration.

Adjusted the -ClassChange utility trigger for better functionality.

The Shadowstalker's Ambush has had its power substantially increased. It's mana cost has been increased as well. Cooldown remains at 30 seconds.

I am confident I have resolved the bug which caused the Mind Leech's Influence to glitch the Snowy Mountain scenario.

The class change area now functions differently. Instead of typing a chat command, you now "purchase" your chosen hero from the Lich. All tooltips, triggers, and text have been updated to reflect this change. It functions seamlessly, with dialogue on or off. Furthermore, all of the class change triggers have been standardized, simplified and condensed to maximize efficiency, and make it MUCH easier to copy them for people adding future classes. The trigger description "HOW TO ADD A NEW CLASS" has been updated to reflect the new methods, which are much simpler.

We now have 9 heroes. 3 strength, 3 intelligence, and 3 agility. We still have space for up to 3 more!

Attachments

2.6 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Level 6
That's weird. I'll take a closer look at the errors once I get the chance. And as for the resurrect ability, I honestly put it just to make the class have 4 skills. Since the other 3 seem to be enough for it. Thanks for testing tho. =)

By the way, the map wasn't uploaded.

Level 6
Right you are. There it is, uploaded.

Since this class already has powers boosted by Str and Agi, maybe you could have some kind of activated ability that is boosted by Int?

Just an idea.

You should test your guy through the HUB, and against the 2nd and final boss, see if he's able to make it through those alright. Maybe you'll find he could use more survivability, or aoe, or single target damage, or something.

IDK. Since the abilities weren't fully functional, I didn't test it myself, but most of my class adjustments were made to adapt things to the final boss encounter, since that encounter has lots of stuff in it.

Level 6
That's a good idea. I just got tired from making the first two. So I didn't bother with that.
I might add a passive to ressurect that's attached to intellegance.

As for the bosses, I have already finished the map with it. And I'd say he's balanced. Neither op nor weak.

Level 6
That's a good idea. I just got tired from making the first two. So I didn't bother with that.
I might add a passive to ressurect that's attached to intellegance.

As for the bosses, I have already finished the map with it. And I'd say he's balanced. Neither op nor weak.

Fantastic! Great job to you!

I'd like to know your thoughts on my final boss fight. I've never designed a single encounter that complex before.

Hell, this entire map has basically turned into my playground for teaching myself and experimenting with new editor functions every few days.

Level 6
It was well-made, honestly. Great job. I don't know about other classes but I finished it with difficulty. One note though.. Maybe change the attack type of the "despairs" to magic or something. Because Hero armor takes reduced damage from pierce attacks. So as to increase the difficulty.

And the warden halls.. Man, that was a difficult challenge. :p had to cheat to get through it. Maybe you could add hints to help whoever gets this far.

Level 6
It was well-made, honestly. Great job. I don't know about other classes but I finished it with difficulty. One note though.. Maybe change the attack type of the "despairs" to magic or something. Because Hero armor takes reduced damage from pierce attacks. So as to increase the difficulty.

And the warden halls.. Man, that was a difficult challenge. :p had to cheat to get through it. Maybe you could add hints to help whoever gets this far.

God I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I'll probably change some attack types... and yeah... the Warden Halls are meant to be a straight up end game gauntlet. Still, what kept you stuck? Was it the teleporting maze, or the Wardens themselves? Cause I did recently increase the Warden HP, and I didn't test it as thoroughly as I did other things.

I'm just so happy to know that you liked the Final Boss. God that took forever to get working properly.

Level 6
The maze is the most difficult part in my opinion. You can get lost easily.

EDITING for now. Done.

Just checked Lord Paladin's skills.

So, the class's abilities were made with JNGP, which uses vJASS. So when someone opens the map with a normal World Editor he'll have errors.

It's similar to Grim Jester's abilities, with the exception of using Globals.

I might replace the skills with regular ones from the Object Editor later. But for now the class is not functional.

Change log : changed the LP Scene 2 Finished trigger to show a warning message for the player notifying him that the skills have been reset. To give the player more chances of skills. (2,2,0 or 1,2,1 or.. etc)

Attachments

2.6 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 6
The maze is the most difficult part in my opinion. You can get lost easily.

EDITING for now. Done.

Just checked Lord Paladin's skills.

So, the class's abilities were made with JNGP, which uses vJASS. So when someone opens the map with a normal World Editor he'll have errors.

It's similar to Grim Jester's abilities, with the exception of using Globals.

I might replace the skills with regular ones from the Object Editor later. But for now the class is not functional.

Change log : changed the LP Scene 2 Finished trigger to show a warning message for the player notifying him that the skills have been reset. To give the player more chances of skills. (2,2,0 or 1,2,1 or.. etc)

The maze, huh? Alright then. I'll leave it as-is. I'm ok with people getting lost in the maze. It gives them a lot of loot and experience. If all else fails, people can use notes to keep track or save and load their way to progress.

I wanted it to be very disorienting, so if it feels disorienting, then I've done my job.

Fixes Up

Did a few little fixes to the map.

Attachments

• Jack's Adventure (version 42.2).w3x
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 6
Done and DONE

I spent all of today doing testing and bug fixing in the map. It was hard work, but I am now confident enough to consider this build of the map to be truly complete. As such, I'll be releasing two versions of the map today. The first will be called Jack's Adventure for Editing Version 43. This is the version of the map you should take if you want to do more work or edits on this map.
The second version of the map is Jack's Adventure Final Version 1.0. This is a version of the map specifically formatted to be a final release, lacking the cheats and utility triggers of the version for editing.
I have a main change log detailing overall changes, and an additional log detailing additional changes to the Final version.

I hope you all enjoy.

Change Log:

Moved Lord Paladin so his life regen aura wouldn't affect units in certain rooms.

Added a bit of dialogue to the game's opening in the room with the Lich.

Adjusted dialogue at the end of the Force Labyrinth to better reflect the map's story.

Added a final bit of floating text to the final red spike in the Spike Maze.

All floating text in the Spike Maze is now destroyed when the scenario is cleared.

Adjusted dialogue in the Library cutscene to better reflect the map's story.

Adjusted timings on various conversational parts in the map to make them much shorter.

Removed the room number part of the name of several custome units (example: the cultists is the ritual chamber are now just called "Cultist" instead of "Room 5 Cultist."

Shadow Strike and Immolation no longer appear in the command boxes for the Warden and Demon Hunter respectively.

Jack's Rage no longer requires targeting himself.

Jack's Think About Your Life has been moved into what is usually the spot for Ultimate abilities.

A lever bug in the Catacombs has been fixed.

The dialogue from clearing the Hub gates has been adjusted to better reflect the map's story.

Adjusted various bits of camera and cinema so you wouldn't see the camera jump as bounds are changed.

The quest log will now update from time to time as Jack progresses through the dungeon.

A few little terrain tweeks.

The Desperation enemies that spawn in the final segment of the Atonement battle now have Chaos-type attacks.

When Jack dies, the screen now fades out until he respawns.

The Atonement fight now correctly resets if Jack dies during it.

Adjusted a few special effects in the final boss fight.

New Scenario: The Disaster. This area, accessed from the area before reaching the final boss, serves as a last spot to stock up on items, gold, and experience. It is a combat-focused open area set in a ruined town. Jack can also find a spot here that allows him to drop the Sigil of Respite, effectively freeing up a 6th item slot for another powerful boosting item

Additional Change Log for the Final Version 1.0:

The unfinished Lord Paladin has been removed from the class change hall due to being unfinished.

The utility triggers for testing have been removed.

Deleted disabled or non-working triggers.

Attachments

• Jack's Adventure for Editing (version 43).w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
  • Jack's Adventure Final (Version 1.0).w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 6
This was a fantastic project. It was fun participating with you all. My editing skills were almost zero when I first joined, and through checking out other people's edits I learned a lot.

I'd join a project like this again anytime.

This is awesome. Wonderful work. I had fun helping with this.

EDIT: I saw a bug. After you finish the Torture Room, when you acquire the Ring of Protection, it transfers you directly to the Labyrinth. The trigger wasn't turned off, and so, every time you drop and pick up the item, it transfers you back to the Labyrinth.

Last edited:
This is awesome. Wonderful work. I had fun helping with this.

EDIT: I saw a bug. After you finish the Torture Room, when you acquire the Ring of Protection, it transfers you directly to the Labyrinth. The trigger wasn't turned off, and so, every time you drop and pick up the item, it transfers you back to the Labyrinth.

Yeah I noticed it too, but I was in a rush and forgot about that bug.

Level 6
SO THAT'S WHERE THE FREAKING BUG LIES!!!
God, thank you. I've been trying to track down the Labyrinth warp bug for... like... a few months.

UPDATE

Fixed the bug Knight identified. Praise the gods.

Another update:
Fixed the "For Editing" version of the map which still has the Lord Paladin active. I've attached that version as well.

Attachments

• Jack's Adventure Final (Version 1.1).w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
  • Jack's Adventure for Editing (version 43).w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
Level 6
I decided to do some testing and bug fixing on the map.

I am happy to present Jack's Adventure version 1.3.

Updates:

Fixed an area of the Spider Caverns which was previously inaccessible due to terrain.

Fixed an issue regarding the dropping of the Icon of Respite in the final area.

Fixed a bug that could occur upon beginning the Library cinematic.

A graphic effect now appears when the Totemic gains and loses the Vengeance Aura from the Vengeance Totem.

The damage of the Totemic's Flamehunt Totems has been increased. Tooltips have been updated.

The area damage of the Totemic's Vengeance Totem has been increased. Tooltips have been updated.

Truth is no longer damaged by her own Flamestrikes.

The Truth fight no longer glitches if the player dies to tree mobs in between phases.

Fixed an issue where the Final Boss did not reset properly if the player died in the last phase.

To not break up player momentum, Jack is now automatically selected for the player after any teleport in the Warden Halls.

To not break up player momentum, Jack is now automatically selected for the player after the class change.

All classes now correctly begin with 1 point in each of their 3 main skills.

The Rage, Sprint, and Think About Your Life powers of Jack before the class change are now hotkeyed to Q, W, and R respectively. Tooltips have been updated to reflect this change.

Fixed a bug that could cause Jack to attack the Troll/Tuskarr when entering the Snowy Mountain.

The Yellow and Red Spikes in the Spike Maze can no longer be attacked.

Fixed a bug that could cause the introduction room to glitch.

The loot tables have been tweaked somewhat.

The location in the final area that allows the player to drop the Icon of Respite has been fixed to prevent a few bugs.

Made a few minor aesthetic changes to enemies and areas.

I'd also like to get another community map project going.
I was thinking something simpler. Like cinematic story telling. Idk. What do others thing?

Attachments

• Jack's Adventure V1.3.w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 86
Level 13
Nice one quill!

Although i dropped off WC3 anyway, i also ended up disengaging from this one because too many people added too many different things and it ended up feeling a bit muddled/confusing to me.

I think if there was a new project, it should be able to be played with others (that way we could test it with each other etc.). I did find that with this one, people loved making heroes/abilities so maybe a map that has heroes would be a good idea? I'm not convinced creating a story with multiple people contributing works very well...

A simple hero defense, hero survival? Maybe something like Warchasers? Or hero defenses because their trigger infrastructure is simple?

Could have people who make heroes, make loot, make waves, do the terrain, make various levels etc...

I reckon a map with a small size would be key to making this work

Could also do a mini-game based map

Just ideas :)

If I remembered it right, someone here attempted to make a "Hive Workshop"-themed hero defense/AoS/whatever maps involving heroes. Everyone can contribute their heroes (most often idealized (and empowered) self-images, but not too OP) into the map, but they will be balanced.

Perhaps we could restart this idea to our new community map as well

Level 6
Tower Defense or Reverse Tower Defense are also ok. They are relatively easy to make, and many people could contribute unit ideas.

As complexity increases, the number of people who will be willing and able to contribute decreases. The more small, little things people can contribute, the more contributors there will be.

Level 13
Tower defenses could work, but balancing them is very tricky, especially if there's multiple editors.

I would therefore suggest that if we want to make something wave-based, we should make wave order randomised and have balancing done dynamically via triggers (e.g. After every wave increase tech level of a research that increases hit points and damage of all creeps). I like it when the map is more random and less predictable... I could easily make a system that calls a random wave each time.

Due to Wc3's dying activity, the new map should scale with number of players too (e.g. Wave 1 spawns 3 creeps per player).

Could always combine a hero defence and a tower defence? (Like the old castle defenses). Give players a couple of pre-existing towers that can be upgraded via a tech tree or some shenanigans?? *shrug* just spewing ideas :p

You could try something like a PvE AoS. It'll be mostly like a hero defense, but some heroes will be 'commander' types and will take care of the base instead. The randomised waves sounds cool, but you could complement those with computer-controlled heroes that will use abilities and such. They don't get penalised on death since they're expected to be suicidal. This will remove the necessity for making complex AIs, unless someone is up to it.

Just a thought.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You could also look into StarCraft II. It is apparently more friendly to work cooperatively with thanks to tools like change mergers and the ability to save map files as component files rather than an archive.

A hero tower defence hybrid would be pretty good if you can pull it off properly. Byes Fire TD (or however it was spelt) tried but unfortunately failed badly due to flawed game design and balance.

What is important is that one decides how the gameplay should work from the start instead of trying to hack it together from various TD factions and heroes people are constantly making.

I would suggest possibly having players dedicate towards either TD or HD gameplay. That way you can in theory speed up gameplay a lot (a problem with the mentioned example) by having 2 waves active at once, one in the HD part while the next wave is already going through the TD part. Also make sure that progress made killing units in the TD part transfers to the HD part as well as kill income is shared so that TD players focus on dealing damage rather than killing units and everyone progresses instead of whoever lands the kills.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
are these disabled vjass scripts trash?

WpVLzCk.png

Last edited:
Level 13
You could also look into StarCraft II.

Is StarCraft II's editor still really tricky to use? Tried to use it back during the zerg expac and it was difficult as hell. It wasn't impossible for me to use; but things i could do in WE felt like they took 5x as long in GE.

To my mind, a hero defense/tower defense hybrid would essentially replace the "lives" system commonly found in tower defenses with maybe an area with the heroes? E.g. creeps that survive towers will then engage your heroes, and if your heroes dies, it's game over.

I think bluntly combining a hero defense and tower defense might be complicated (e.g. having to make a large variety of towers and heroes, and having to balance things correctly) and maybe a bit too ambitious, but i think if the tower-side of things is relatively simple, things might be OK.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
* fixed a bug where a wandering flying unit could trip the trigger that causes the library cinematic (and its side-effects like locked camera) to run

* fixed a bug where it was possible to start the boss 1 fight and get stuck on the wrong side of the demonic gate

* removed all disabled (trash) trigger code for clarity

Attachments

• Jack's Adventure V1.31.w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 59

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is StarCraft II's editor still really tricky to use? Tried to use it back during the zerg expac and it was difficult as hell. It wasn't impossible for me to use; but things i could do in WE felt like they took 5x as long in GE.
Yes and no... It still takes 5 times longer to do some things but other things still take 1/5th of the time or are even possible as opposed to being impossible in WC3. SC2 GUI triggering still feels like using cheats compared with WC3 GUI and is infinitely more productive.

I think bluntly combining a hero defense and tower defense might be complicated (e.g. having to make a large variety of towers and heroes, and having to balance things correctly) and maybe a bit too ambitious, but i think if the tower-side of things is relatively simple, things might be OK.
Basic idea is to have the creeps very tough in the TD side so the towers are used to soften them up rather than having to kill all of them. The heroes then do most of the killing, or at least cleaning up the leaks. If you fail badly in the TD side then the creeps might be too strong for the hero side and so overwhelm you and you lose. Towers could exist who's sole purpose is to lower damage of enemies in the hero side. Since players play separately they have to focus on their assigned roles. Since kill loot or progress is shared they do not have to worry that they might not actually be doing much damage to the units as long as they are helping the team.

In case no one chooses hero you can add some basic AI defences and progression as well as lower health accordingly.

Level 13
So sort of what i was getting at then. Shared loot/experience would probably be the best option. Though i imagined perhaps a single lane on which all players built towers (rather than a lane per player?), and the creeps would be obviously overpowered (OR towers underpowered) so that no wave can be completely cleared by the towers. The joys of a hero defense after all is to use your hero to smash stuff.

There are probably a few ways that could be secured, e.g.
> Make it so some monsters will always leak
> Monsters become immune when they're pushed below 50% hit points, but become vulnerable again when they reach the heroes
> An independent group of monsters spawn in the hero area

The game could also be enfo or RvS style and have two sides pitted against each other; i'd tend to say that PvP games are more played than games where everyone is on the same team.

This map concept is probably quite basic and can be drafted up quite easily... though part of me doubts if the concept will be any good? (but would be perfect for contributors who only want to add hero designs).

Level 6
Thanks for the work, Code Monkey! I'd never even seen those bugs before. Great catch!

As for another project:

There was that one Starcraft 1 scenario where 2 players would control opposite sides of a base and try to defend a temple in the middle of the map.

What about something like that? A base defense?

Then you could just have it set so that different areas of the base are under different player's control if there is more than 1 human player?

My idea:

I remember I read about a new FPS game. One player of each team take control of their base, while all others of the team fights.

Now, how about an AoS/MOBA map with something like this? A player chooses a "commander" type hero and take control of the base and production (he can upgrade stuffs, rebuild something on originial spots and should also defend their base as well), while all others go for combat? The combatant heroes should be better at offense, while the commander heroes should be great at both (but great defense boost should be restricted to the base area, once he leaves, he'll be like a slightly stronger combatant)

Level 13
Seems there's no interest in a new project? Or no one liked my idea? :p

How about a kodo-tag styled map?

Orrrrrrr a RvS styled map?

Modified run kitty run map?

Escape Weed World version 2?

Another RPG?

A campaign? (each player could make a level)

An escape?

A hero escape?

@Knight of Arsford - it's never truly finished; feel free to take it and do some stuff!

Level 6
The Quill is back and ready to go.

I do like your idea pick-a-chew, but it would involve a substantial undersystem that editors may not be able to tamper with. It sounds like a lot of fun... actually it sounds fun enough that I'm probably going to make my own version of that just to improve my skills a bit.

I really think we need something simple. What if we just tried to make a multiplayer melee-type map, but filled it with interactive elements and features? Then pretty much anybody can add something neat, and it's simple enough to let just about anybody contribute.

We can just plot some starting locations on different corners of the map... and start building crap around them. Moving platforms, teleporters, traps, exploding bridges, weather machines that trigger deadly lightning storms... ufo abductions, zergling rushes... I mean, the more serious and integrated we try to make something, the less people will be able or interested in adding to it. If we just let people add a bunch of disconnected, random, interactive features, then I think we can involve a large community in the project, and end up with a map utterly unlike any ever seen before.

That being said, it is my own bias as a moderate level editor that leads me to wanting something on the simpler side. Whatever project we decide on, I'll happily contribute.

Level 13
The Quill is back and ready to go.

I do like your idea pick-a-chew, but it would involve a substantial undersystem that editors may not be able to tamper with. It sounds like a lot of fun... actually it sounds fun enough that I'm probably going to make my own version of that just to improve my skills a bit.

I really think we need something simple. What if we just tried to make a multiplayer melee-type map, but filled it with interactive elements and features? Then pretty much anybody can add something neat, and it's simple enough to let just about anybody contribute.

We can just plot some starting locations on different corners of the map... and start building crap around them. Moving platforms, teleporters, traps, exploding bridges, weather machines that trigger deadly lightning storms... ufo abductions, zergling rushes... I mean, the more serious and integrated we try to make something, the less people will be able or interested in adding to it. If we just let people add a bunch of disconnected, random, interactive features, then I think we can involve a large community in the project, and end up with a map utterly unlike any ever seen before.

That being said, it is my own bias as a moderate level editor that leads me to wanting something on the simpler side. Whatever project we decide on, I'll happily contribute.

That's fair enough, i probably got carried away :p

The melee-type map sounds like a lot of fun, but probably a bit mental? I could see things getting out of hand quite quickly! It'd have to follow some sort of structure...
Such type of map would probably be better suited for a campaign-style map, though i'd prefer to make something multiplayer

Not familiar with LOAP, i know it's an RP map of sorts, why would it be suitable? Would it basically involve just making a city and creating a load of content in it? Houses, quests, jobs etc.?

Something simple... :con: that has heroes in it... and can be tested with other hivelings... *shrugs*, i'm at a loss!

edit: what about a hero escape? would be similar to jack's adventures in that everyone can make a escape level/puzzle/whatever... could be multiplayer, would be easy to add your own thing to, would use heroes to slay monsters in the way...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.