• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legendary Terrains

Level 18
o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o
The Hive Workshop Legendary Terrains

Welcome to THW's Legendary Terrain thread. Any terrain piece that we decide is worthy will be uploaded to this thread for all the little newbies to gaze in awe at. A legendary terrain is both perfectly-executed, original and usually sparks some influence in future pieces by newer terrainers. Contest-winning terrains have a much higher chance of being added to this thread, although it is not guaranteed.

If you've found a piece that you think should be here, post a link in this thread, and I'll consider it.

New Release Credits:

• Corexx - Hi-res Castle (TMC4 Winner)
  • Void - Arthas
  • Frostwhisper & FamousPker49 - The Burning Sky
  • Void - Tower of Babel
  • FamousPker49 - Portals
  • MadseN - Frost City
  • 2-P - Dragonflight
Newer Entries

Castle_Outdoor01.pngarthas1.pngFamouswhisperCoterrain.pngTower of Babel.pngportalrh7.jpgCrazywinterworld 1.jpg
dragonflightrn1.jpg

Hall of Fame Credits:

• 13LUR - Sepia Forest
  • Corexx - King
  • Corexx - Guardian
  • Void - Dawn
  • [Death] - Waterfall
  • [Death] - Barrens
  • Frostwhisper - Shipwreck
  • MadseN - Azjol Nerub
  • MadseN - Atlantis
  • MadseN - Lordaeron Summer
  • Tassadoom - Moss Monster
  • frostwhisper - Four Seasons Hand (summer)

Hall of Fame

13luruz0.jpgcorexx1ro1.jpgcorexxkk3.jpgdawnqi3.jpgdeath1xq3.jpgdeathmx4.jpgfrostwhispernc4.jpg
madsen1cw4.jpgmadsen2kp8.jpgmadsenbt3.jpgtassadoomwy3.jpg

Attachments

• hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 5,308
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Well, MadseN's terrains are quite legendary... but I doubt that newcommers would have any help from them:p.

I'll look up some pics of legendary terrains now.

And for the arrangement, let's first post a crapload of good terrains here, and then one of us ordens them in a thread and we request a sticky;)

Last edited:
Level 18
Alright, I agree, lets just look at all terrain showcases, and other terrain pics that come to mind, and try to find the best of the best like, some for great lighting, (why I picked yours off the bat void), good environment, contruction with doodads, creativity, and any other categories you can think of...

So lets see some pics!

Level 34
I'd say anyone of MadseN's could fit in here. I don't think you can find enough flaws to degrade them.

One or two should be picked only though. Maybe a couple of Voids, and I know Belgarath has a couple pretty l33t ones. Tassadoom for sure. [Death]. Gehjis (spelling?) has a bunch. 2-P, Correx, and Bur. There are some older terrainers that could be added, can't remember names.

Level 21
Level 36
Nah. Terrains aren't "terrains" as much as "terrain editor art". Of course some of them actually do have terrain, it's really anything made in the editor with doodads/tiles.

Anyways some suggestions are bur's northrend outpost, just for pure originality of using the rock doodad to make a brick (common now but not then) and definitely tassadoom's moss monster for originality too, the rest of his are great but again, nothing that hasn't really been done before. Corexx's robot of course and 2-P's planet.

Level 28
I thought it would be a sticky thread with links to the terrains at the first post, not this mess.

It would be much easier to someone new to find the cool terrains in a neat thread, with all of them linked at the first post. And it would be good to do not be closed, to allow the people to suggest new terrains to the post.

_

Level 28
With your skills, you can easily make a terrain that I would accept to join the thread.

Maybe, if you are having time, you can make a terrain and post it, and I'll specially tip you in the things I think that could be improved, and you'll also recieve critcism from the other users, to make a terrain a bit better then the ones at your showcase and then I'll suggest it to be at the thread.

Yes, you can easily do it in my opinion.

_

Level 7
Gehjis (spelling?) has a bunch.
I'm not sure if you mean me. If so, it's greatly appreciated. XD

As DungeonM said, definitely Beam, and Gitlich as far as old school terrainers go.

http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=78869 - Gitlich

http://wc3campaigns.net/resources.php?f=625&u=12828 - Beam

Also, as far as terrainers not mentioned, I think HernanG and Killer_Mushroom also deserve a place in this thread.

http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=86246 - HernanG

http://wc3campaigns.net/showpost.php?p=828936&postcount=15 - Killer_Mushroom

Others that I think would make a great addition: Zurg, Vagabond, Blitzkreige, Evading_Self, Taplonaplo, AgentSmith, Plasticangel, Born²Modificate, infrane, Reinless, Wazza, and MC ! (Most of which from WC3C)

Level 34
I would sticky only single images. And only the best of the best. Stuff that really stands out form all other terrain.

We already have a thread that links to amazing galleries.

Level 7
Why limit screenshots per user? Since this thread is titled "Legendary Terrains", legendary terrains should be shown independent of who made them. Seems kind of silly to refuse to put up a great terrain because "oh, he already has two screenshots up!" Just be picky about the terrains you pick - these are supposed to be legendary terrains.

My opinions:

I actually think Void's current link isn't that good at all. His Radiant is much better.

MadseN:
I think we all agree on this.
Whatever this is.
Good background.

Zurg:
Retribution
I wish I had more of Zurg.

In my humble opinion, these are the best of mine (not that anyone cares!):
Waterfall
World Tree
Remains
The Garden has a crappy front (a fact I only realized months later).

Level 36
Death I don't agree with the first one. I think his frozen throne one should be there instead, that one's so epic!!

As for my links, of course not wishing to be a snob or anything, but I would suggest any two or three of these:

Radiant
Dawn (for the sun)
Don't Go Here Alone
Jungle Temple
City of Order

Level 7
Death I don't agree with the first one. I think his frozen throne one should be there instead, that one's so epic!!

Oh, haha, I thought the one I posted was the Frozen Throne. (This is the one you mean, right?) I actually really don't like that one, though. It seems a little... messy.