• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lag spikes in newer patches (1.31 , 1.31.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey, I really have to ask...Has this been fixed? I am still on 1.31.1 myself, because I don't want to use Reforged at all.
I'd go back to an older patch, but sadly I got used to DX11, with the fact it has no 64 FPS limit.

I just want to fix this annoying "lag", which is more like a stutter, I keep having it from one of Wa666r's racemaps, like the High Elves and Forsaken.

Level 5
Strange...Thing is, for Wa666r's High Elves, I get "lag" no matter what, team or no team, AI or no AI, it's pretty much a micro-stutter.

The Team function does make it worse though, noticed it on all maps, it has to be a 1.31.1 bug because on the mentioned map I don't have such "lag" in 1.26 or 1.29.
Damn, seems I have to switch between versions just to enjoy some maps.

Level 28
Hey, I really have to ask...Has this been fixed? I am still on 1.31.1 myself, because I don't want to use Reforged at all.
I'd go back to an older patch, but sadly I got used to DX11, with the fact it has no 64 FPS limit.
Strange...Thing is, for Wa666r's High Elves, I get "lag" no matter what, team or no team, AI or no AI, it's pretty much a micro-stutter.
Damn, seems I have to switch between versions just to enjoy some maps.
Dude, please read the following threads if you want to fix the lag:
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files
Some says you'll have to add the "-graphicsapi Direct3D9" parameter, but this is the only way to remove the performance issue.
Also, I strongly NOT recommended to play the maps that use the custom races on 1.31.1, especially the Ultimate Battle map.
There is a chance the game will crash (or not responding) due to the memory leak issue:
7. Freeze / black screen when exiting the score screen:

This is most likely caused by the map containing a lot of leaks. Sadly, there's no known solution to that problem other than opening maps and fixing memory leaks, so I'd generally recommend using another version (e.g. 1.30.4 or 1.29.2 - LINK) if possible.

If you're forced to use 1.31.1, because the map requires it, your options are:

a) Force-exit the game (what worked best for me was quickly clicking inside the game window once it freezes so Windows displays the "the application is not responding pop-up, giving you an option to close the game, but you can also try using the Task Manager [CTRL+ALT+DELETE] to terminate the process, logging out of your Windows account or even restarting the PC). If you're worried about losing campaign progress - it shouldn't happen.

b) Ask the map maker to fix their map / campaign or you can attempt to do this yourself, given you have pretty basic modding knowledge - read this thread to find out more about leaks (LINK) then edit map(s) to remove them, looking especially for triggers with periodic (i.e. every x.x seconds) events.
Your best bet is to make a separate installs of Warcraft 3.
If you decide to stick to 1.26, then be advised some custom campaigns and maps don't work with this patch.

Level 5
Dude, please read the following threads if you want to fix the lag:
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files
Some says you'll have to add the "-graphicsapi Direct3D9" parameter, but this is the only way to remove the performance issue.
Also, I strongly NOT recommended to play the maps that use the custom races on 1.31.1, especially the Ultimate Battle map.
There is a chance the game will crash (or not responding) due to the memory leak issue:

Your best bet is to make a separate installs of Warcraft 3.
If you decide to stick to 1.26, then be advised some custom campaigns and maps don't work with this patch.
This is very good info, thanks a lot :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:

Yes, my idea was to have separate installs of 1.26 and 1.31, might use a 1.30.4 one, but the "Things That Leak" guide might be what I actually want.

Level 28
my idea was to have separate installs of 1.26 and 1.31

I currently have 1.29 and 1.31, but in the future, I will do some custom campaign testing on 1.30.4.

Just to be sure, you'll have to play the custom maps on older version if you don't risk you'll suffer a performance drops due to the memory leak.

Also, playing custom campaign is NOT recommended in 1.31.1: If you load your previous saves, the gameplay is completely broken because all unit triggers were screwed up.

the "Things That Leak" guide might be what I actually want.

While actually force-closing the game is the only solution to fix the black screen issue and the fact "-graphicsapi Direct3D9" trick fixes the lag and spikes problem, those issues are related to the memory leak. You can modify the maps to know which things that could cause a memory leak, but this is very difficult. Your best bet is to use the older versions.

Level 5
Knowing how "cursed" 1.31 is, what's even the point of using it, then?

At this point I should go ahead and use 1.29 as the "main" instead, but...I don't like how the game is locked at 64 FPS, I get these janky frames on my 75hz, is there any way to unlock the framerate in versions older than 1.31, or should I simply force the game to run at 60hz?

Level 28
Knowing how "cursed" 1.31 is, what's even the point of using it, then?

1.31.1 has not only a lot of bugs, especially the save-load thing, which causes all unit triggers to be messed up. The new natives might be another reason older maps aren't compatible with 1.31.1. Also, the melee AI heroes can't learn their abilities once they're levelled up, even when they're trained (at level 1).
You can also use 1.30.4 in case you want to play custom campaigns since most campaigns didn't work on older versions below 1.30.

I don't like how the game is locked at 64 FPS, I get these janky frames on my 75hz, is there any way to unlock the framerate in versions older than 1.31, or should I simply force the game to run at 60hz?

The trick to remove the FPS cap in versions older than 1.31 is different. You should add "-nativefullscr".
This will allow you to play the game in Full Screen Mode, which removes the janky frames.

Warcraft 3 Shortcut Fix.jpg

If you get a stretched screen, you can go to "Options" -> "Video" and disable "Fixed Aspect Ratio" option.
By far, this is the only solution to remove the FPS cap.
You can also modify the "maxfps" registry located in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III" by changing 200 (default value) to 999.

Status
Not open for further replies.