• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kudos to Blizzard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
For making SC2 unplayable with insane lag.

Seriously, what the hell? I can't even test out maps by myself because I lag out and get dropped from my own game (with no one else in it).

As a side note, they also managed to make Ultralisks even worse than they already were.

Level 13
The lagging out is a symptom of an even greater problem: Blizzard hosts everything.

I know why Blizzard hosts all of the melee games. I can understand why Blizzard would like to make sure nobody is playing premium maps locally or using custom servers. But they pulled it off miserably. The battle.net service should be a client to the host of each custom game that monitors the proceeds. They could even make the client be a requirement for the game to continue, but that would only require a periodic encrypted message to and fro, which doesn't really add any lag.

But they chose to host every damned game on the network. Obviously, this is going to cause a lot of problems for some people, since the reliability of the online play will be completely out of the players' control. In fact, almost every part of it will be out of the players'/host's control.

Combine this with the absolutely terrible custom game UI, and you've got yourself a nightmare.

Level 11
But you're getting the game at the same price as everyone else, so yes, the Beta is more or less free.

Also, you knowingly came into it as a beta.
Here, I'll try and help you understand my point.

Let's say you were sitting at a table somewhere, and were hungry. Suddenly, someone gives you a cake and lets you eat it! This is all fine and good, until ten seconds later they pick up the cake and smash it on the floor. Upon you expressing disapproval that your cake is on the floor, they reply that it wasn't your cake and that you didn't pay for it so they reserve the right to do whatever the hell they want to the cake. Yeah, they might be right, but it still would be annoying and you would still seem reasonable complaining about it.

Level 40
Here, I'll try and help you understand my point.

Let's say you were sitting at a table somewhere, and were hungry. Suddenly, someone gives you a cake and lets you eat it! This is all fine and good, until ten seconds later they pick up the cake and smash it on the floor. Upon you expressing disapproval that your cake is on the floor, they reply that it wasn't your cake and that you didn't pay for it so they reserve the right to do whatever the hell they want to the cake. Yeah, they might be right, but it still would be annoying and you would still seem reasonable complaining about it.
An actually accurate analogy:

You are invited to taste-test cakes. You accept, and enjoy plenty of good cakes. Eventually, a few are off, and you freak out at them for not having made perfect cakes, bitching on and on and on even after they know that their cake was not in fact perfect. Other taste testers get tired of you and your like-minded testers going on about it, and ask you to please be quiet.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The sad truth is blizzard is doing this for these reasons.
* No custom kick.
* No advertisment host bots.
* No illegal hosting of premium maps.
* No tampering with host behaviour like slot swapping into invalid slots.
* Everyone can host.

However this leads to these problems...
* Players can be kicked from their own games when playing alone (eg if everyone has left to see how a map ends).
* No such feature as LAN play, meaning huge network traffic even if your friend next to you have hosted.
* Server instability and unreliability might mean spontanious game disolves every once in a while without warning.
* Huge number of servers required to run games.

The red problem is the largest downside. Servers are not free and as you can guess there will be need for a great number of them. The good news is that im pretty sure all the servers do is act as a packet router, aka they basically send confirmations and keep game in sync so there should be extreemly little processing load per game. The bad news is 300000 players sending and receiving data for games will eat quite a substantial quantity of bandwidth, which aint free.

Fortunatly WoW might actually save the day for this, as they can probably use idle resources from WoW servers and pick up more resources cheaply to help keep costs low. Thus the cost for this could be dwarfed and so be minor.

I will also point you guys to diablo II which does exatly this. All games are hosted on battlenet servers. Each Diablo II game probably uses far more resources than a SC2 custom map cause I do not think it actually has to calculate anything. It was doable 10 years ago for no extra cost so it probably is doable now.

Level 9
An actually accurate analogy:

You are invited to taste-test cakes. You accept, and enjoy plenty of good cakes. ******Eventually, a few are off, and you freak out at them for not having made perfect cakes, bitching on and on and on even after they know that their cake was not in fact perfect. Other taste testers get tired of you and your like-minded testers going on about it, and ask you to please be quiet.

Correction: Eventually, the cakes they give you are not in fact cake, but cyanide bricks covered in sugar. You complain that they couldn't possibly call these cakes and wonder why they would switch to such a thing when they had perfectly good cakes for a month or so, and then people start using analogies about some thing involving making stars and greek letters.

Level 3
Would also like to add, idle resources most likely extend beyond just wow. Cloud computing ftw.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. This is a very typical reaction to a problem that just occurred, people think the sky is falling all the time, especially in a beta game.

Although this did stop me from making my project the first couple weeks of the editor release... so I am just as bad. Perhaps it is something more that made me stop... most likely.

Level 8
You may not be satisfied with the Beta, true. But never bitch about it.
It's a frigging Beta. Next time wait for game release, you can complain about these issues all day then. But right now, everyone knows about the problems and bitching about it furthermore is retarded.

Level 13
If Blizzard hosts all of the maps themselves and can do it correctly, it's okay.

But we can all agree that they've got to do something about that fucking custom games UI. It's horrible.

PROBLEM: I mean, seriously, the popular maps stay at the top of the list and the new maps don't have much of a chance to even be SEEN by most players.
FIX: Sort games by time of creation rather than by popularity, and get rid of that stupid "SHOW MORE" button. This way, as in the other Blizzard games, every map has a chance to be browsed.
FIX PART 2: Optionally, have a "Play Random Map" button that puts you in a random game, with a checkbox to allow or disallow playing a map that you've played before.
FIX PART 3: Allow a like/dislike/favorite system to augment the popularity gague with the ratings. Either add a second 5-star thing next to the gague, or just multiply the map's standing by the ratings it gets (logarithmic scale -- all popular maps have high ratings, so a 0.4 point difference is like an unpopular map's 1-point difference).

PROBLEM: The list is clunky and offers very little info.
FIX: Pretty obvious; have info on the host, the players or amount of players, the game modes, the ping, etc on the list or at least on the side when you click the map in the list.
FIX PART 2: Allow custom game names in the custom games screen. Seriously, it really makes the thing have more of a psychological connect.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They need to catorgrise custom maps better. With 10000 custom maps it will be impossible to find anything you want.

There should be a recently played list, a favorite list (where you add maps you want to play again), a view by month (lists all custom maps in monthly blocks for you to scrole through) and a previously played list. Additionally there needs to be a map search function which lets you search for maps which you can not find. There should also be a recalled map list for maps which were taken down where you can not play them, but you can find out what happened to a map.

On top of that there needs to be more sorting catorgies as I do not want to view 100s pf wars and AoS maps to find decent friendly play maps.

Level 11
You may not be satisfied with the Beta, true. But never bitch about it.
It's a frigging Beta. Next time wait for game release, you can complain about these issues all day then. But right now, everyone knows about the problems and bitching about it furthermore is retarded.

Obviously, you don't understand what a beta actually is, were testing all the issues that the game may have or might get. And I have read the whole thread, and it does not seem like "Bitching" to me, seems like were having a reasonable discussion on the problems at hand and their possible solutions; as this is a sponsored site, Blizzard may be looking at these threads from time to time. Thus saying again, this is a Beta.

OT: I was not here when the custom games portion came out, and so I tried to get into the game, and it froze at the login screen. Closed out, and gave me the send error message. Wrote a message and sent the error message (This is before I read this thread) and I was wondering if this problem is due to them closing the servers or not? I also have had this kind of problem in the past where it will freeze and I would restart my computer and the game works fine, but now even when I restart my computer the game still freezes.

On the Custom UI, I would like to see a Recently Joined game list option, because many times on Warcraft 3, I would be kicked for ping, or other reasons, and don't remember the name of the game I joined, and never see it on the Custom Game list again.

Level 13
I played a few games of 2v2 and 3v3 today. Well, not so much played, but entered the game and promptly had one of these things happen:

1. The gameplay freezes after a few seconds and the only thing you can do is quit the game or chat with your party members or friends.
2. "You have been dropped."
3. Enormous lag for a while until enough people leave or drop for the game to default to a victory/defeat.
4. The game miraculously works fine. Oh, wait, just kidding.

Level 4
Man, I got a problem to!
I can't join or create a game with user made maps in it.
WTF?!

Level 8
Custom games still are down in the EU. Sigh.

From what I've heard, they're going to be down for the rest of the BETA (This part that is). My guess is that they will re-open them during the last few weeks of the BETA before the release of the game.

And they are still down here as well (NA)

I must say that they did fix up the server lag quite a bit *>.>, I suppose that's a +.

Status
Not open for further replies.