• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

For Warcraft data, should i use renee's or blizzard's archives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been making a mod for some years with renee's war3 mod,
then realized that like a year ago blizzard updated sc2 editor and added their own war3 data packs,
but then i read on these forums that some things are not working

i will test it myself but since a year has passed, do any of u which of the 2 should i use and why?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Ideally if you are building from scratch you should use the Blizzard one since it is official so included in most StarCraft II installs. However since you already use Renee's data set I would recommend sticking with it. Changing over will most likely require a lot of effort debugging and fixing incompatibilities, time that could be better spent on new features, fixing other bugs, even new maps, e.t.c.

I would not recommend trying to use both data mods at the same time. Even if there are no direct compatibility issues, it is sure to make working on the data much more confusing and error prone due to the additional entries added.

Level 2
thanks. i'm not really seeing the real upside of switching to blizzard's because unless they completed it to 100%, people in the forums stated that stuff were missing, renee's even comes with the UI of war3 and day/night cycle, so i'm guessing its 100% worth whatever extra time people will get downloading the extra data

edit: forget what i said, its better to use official blizzard mod now, as it has some improvements like reforged UI, its prolly overall more complete over renee's since they used that as base

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.