1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Kudos to Blizzard!

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by mrzwach, May 22, 2010.

1. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For making SC2 unplayable with insane lag.

Seriously, what the hell? I can't even test out maps by myself because I lag out and get dropped from my own game (with no one else in it).

As a side note, they also managed to make Ultralisks even worse than they already were.

2. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I understand your concern, but why take it here?
    Take it to Blizzard mate, they won't really hear you here :p

3. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Already did!

More of just venting because I'm irritated at the fact that I can't play anything at all.

4. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's a beta, not a free game license. Shit is bound to happen, hence beta.

God, you people...

5. thelifelessone

thelifelessone

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Beta or not, they could at least fix the servers... It honestly can't be that hard.

6. bboy-tiger-

bboy-tiger-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes its beta, but anyway, any anomaly that appears, people should report.
    :)

7. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  8. Serbianbeast

Serbianbeast

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am yet to be dropped in a game. Though the lag sucks. :p

10. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I just started enjoying a little game called Hex'd on custom games since i didnt want to start ladder with the drops but also got disced and couldnt play it too.

11. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can't even get into a lobby anymore. :p

Oh, how the tables have turned!

12. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This isn't reporting. It's already been reported far more than necessary, in places that blue actually reads.

This is pointless bitching because people can't play their free game.

13. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually I paid for the game to get this beta key, so not really free.

14. splashy5

splashy5

Resources:
    Resources:
    you paid for the pre-order, but the beta-key came free :)

15. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But you're getting the game at the same price as everyone else, so yes, the Beta is more or less free.

Also, you knowingly came into it as a beta.

16. Dark.Revenant

Dark.Revenant

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The lagging out is a symptom of an even greater problem: Blizzard hosts everything.

I know why Blizzard hosts all of the melee games. I can understand why Blizzard would like to make sure nobody is playing premium maps locally or using custom servers. But they pulled it off miserably. The battle.net service should be a client to the host of each custom game that monitors the proceeds. They could even make the client be a requirement for the game to continue, but that would only require a periodic encrypted message to and fro, which doesn't really add any lag.

But they chose to host every damned game on the network. Obviously, this is going to cause a lot of problems for some people, since the reliability of the online play will be completely out of the players' control. In fact, almost every part of it will be out of the players'/host's control.

Combine this with the absolutely terrible custom game UI, and you've got yourself a nightmare.

17. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Here, I'll try and help you understand my point.

Let's say you were sitting at a table somewhere, and were hungry. Suddenly, someone gives you a cake and lets you eat it! This is all fine and good, until ten seconds later they pick up the cake and smash it on the floor. Upon you expressing disapproval that your cake is on the floor, they reply that it wasn't your cake and that you didn't pay for it so they reserve the right to do whatever the hell they want to the cake. Yeah, they might be right, but it still would be annoying and you would still seem reasonable complaining about it.

18. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    An actually accurate analogy:

You are invited to taste-test cakes. You accept, and enjoy plenty of good cakes. Eventually, a few are off, and you freak out at them for not having made perfect cakes, bitching on and on and on even after they know that their cake was not in fact perfect. Other taste testers get tired of you and your like-minded testers going on about it, and ask you to please be quiet.

19. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My problem isn't that it is just a little off, its that its completely unplayable atm.

Though they fixed the lag issue, but now the servers are down and we can't play anything.

._.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The sad truth is blizzard is doing this for these reasons.
    * No custom kick.
    * No advertisment host bots.
    * No illegal hosting of premium maps.
    * No tampering with host behaviour like slot swapping into invalid slots.
    * Everyone can host.

However this leads to these problems...
    * Players can be kicked from their own games when playing alone (eg if everyone has left to see how a map ends).
    * No such feature as LAN play, meaning huge network traffic even if your friend next to you have hosted.
    * Server instability and unreliability might mean spontanious game disolves every once in a while without warning.
    * Huge number of servers required to run games.

The red problem is the largest downside. Servers are not free and as you can guess there will be need for a great number of them. The good news is that im pretty sure all the servers do is act as a packet router, aka they basically send confirmations and keep game in sync so there should be extreemly little processing load per game. The bad news is 300000 players sending and receiving data for games will eat quite a substantial quantity of bandwidth, which aint free.

Fortunatly WoW might actually save the day for this, as they can probably use idle resources from WoW servers and pick up more resources cheaply to help keep costs low. Thus the cost for this could be dwarfed and so be minor.

I will also point you guys to diablo II which does exatly this. All games are hosted on battlenet servers. Each Diablo II game probably uses far more resources than a SC2 custom map cause I do not think it actually has to calculate anything. It was doable 10 years ago for no extra cost so it probably is doable now.