• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kudos to Blizzard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Laggy as shit. Significantly worse than before.

My games I played were absolutly perfect. Highly responsive with keyboard commands responding near instantly and the only lag being cause of other people.

My response is eithor your connection is bad or your location is bad resulting in bad ping. As they have a lower latency timer for better responsiveness, it will cause more lag then.

Level 11
Just checked ping, 57ms.
5+ Mb/s download, don't think its a problem on my end.

Additionally, the two other guys I was playing with were lagging like shit also. Dunno why, going to try again in a sec and see if it doesn't lag.

Level 10
Just checked ping, 57ms.
5+ Mb/s download, don't think its a problem on my end.

Additionally, the two other guys I was playing with were lagging like shit also. Dunno why, going to try again in a sec and see if it doesn't lag.

That doesn't matter.

What matters is that they are using UDP. Do you know what that means? In short, simple terms it means that your comps don't check that the other ones received the packets sent.

BUT, starcraft has to check to make sure that everyone is together, and THAT causes the lag when it has to figure out where people are and put them together.

Your d/l speed doesn't really have to do with that.

Level 8
@tagg1080 I know myself fairly well in computers and what you are saying is correct, but DL speed does have an impact on it. If you have slow DL speed that means first of all, you have slow internet, and secondly, that you won't be able to get the server information as quickly as you should, thus UDP and TDP.

Level 10
@tagg1080 I know myself fairly well in computers and what you are saying is correct, but DL speed does have an impact on it. If you have slow DL speed that means first of all, you have slow internet, and secondly, that you won't be able to get the server information as quickly as you should, thus UDP and TDP.

It does have an effect, yes, but my point was that if you lose a lot of packets, it will lag. Even if you are pulling in huge amounts of them, if you are losing them, star2 WILL lag.

Level 10
I am assuming that is is because we are too spread out.

North America is a big area to let everyone play together from.

So if I am playing with people literally across the country, there are SO many factors that could result in lag.

But my friends that live in the same town, we have 0 lag.

Level 11
Doubt thats the problem.

I have 0% packet loss and 80ms ping for a server on the other side of NA. Wouldn't explain EPIC LAG.

I'm thinking that Blizz just has one player host the game, picked by who is the party leader. Thus, if that person is laggy you lag like hell, if that person is good it seems to work fine.

Level 10
Doubt thats the problem.

I have 0% packet loss and 80ms ping for a server on the other side of NA. Wouldn't explain EPIC LAG.

I'm thinking that Blizz just has one player host the game, picked by who is the party leader. Thus, if that person is laggy you lag like hell, if that person is good it seems to work fine.

lolwut?

You have no idea what server is hosting your game.

Just because THAT server has no loss, doesn't mean that the one that is picked doesn't.

And there is basically no such thing as a 0% loss, there will always be lost packets. The reason that TCP was laggier for some was that it was constantly replacing lost packets, while with UDP star2 just checks every few seconds, so this fixed it for some, but not all.

It is an issue with their server hosting, yes, but it is mostly crappy internet.

But blaming them for packet loss is just ignorant. Blaming them for crappy server displacement is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.