• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 3?

Would you like them to make Starcraft 3?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, but only if it's quality content, and without many bags and laggs.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes, if nothing else it's a game from an awesome franchise by Blizzard.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really, I'll see.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • After seeing what they've done with Reforged, no way!

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
The question says it all. After seeing many people talking about Warcraft 4, I thought to myself why not ask this question.

Warcraft 4 is out of the question. Besides the fact that they promised almost a remake of Warcraft 3, and they weren't able to deliver even a proper Remaster, Blizzard already continues Warcraft franchise with WoW. Some people will say that the true Warcraft franchise ended with Illidan dying in front of the Frozen Throne, but Blizzard doesn't think so, it's a fact.

Starcraft 3 is however a billion times more likely, even if being let's say.....hundreds of thousands of light years away. Besides that it has a not so ancient direct RTS predecessor, which also has an e-sports scene in the far east, the franchise hasn't been continued in any way.

The question is, with RTS being a pretty much dead genre, Blizzard won't be willing to invest too much money or other resources to the game, so the game might end up being buggy and laggy and reusing many of Starcraft 2 assets.

Also is Blizzard even able to make a good RTS game anymore?

Level 10
Would you like them to make Starcraft 3?
Not really. At least, storywise.
The story of SC2 was such a piece of shit, I hated it back then, and I hate it now. SC1 story is excellent, it was pure sci-fi, no magic, no bullshit. In SC2 there are now prophecies all of a sudden, retarded "love story" (non-existent in SC1), "good vs evil", seriously, fuck those writers. SC1 Remastered was great, by the way.

Level 13
Not really. At least, storywise.
The story of SC2 was such a piece of shit, I hated it back then, and I hate it now. SC1 story is excellent, it was pure sci-fi, no magic, no bullshit. In SC2 there are now prophecies all of a sudden, retarded "love story" (non-existent in SC1), "good vs evil", seriously, fuck those writers. SC1 Remastered was great, by the way.
I agree about magic and Xel'Naga gods stuff. However I disagree about the love, if anything to me it was a welcome change. Every story imo needs to be spiced up with a little love, and Raynor and Kerrigan (although not explicitly featured in SC1, they were heavily hinted) did a decent job. It's kinda like Arthas and Jaina. They're romance (although confirmed in the manual) was only hinted in game and confirmed like a million times afterwords. That's one of the biggest changes that the Campaign story needed, some Arthas-Jaina romance time. That plus a mention of BfA retcon of Jaina being a de facto princess(and thus able to be a women of Arthas's life) would of made Arthas's story far more tragic, Arthas looking far more "stupid" and Jaina far more heroic.

Level 16
The question is, with RTS being a pretty much dead genre, Blizzard won't be willing to invest too much money or other resources to the game, so the game might end up being buggy and laggy and reusing many of Starcraft 2 assets.
there isnt a question here, just FYI.
Also is Blizzard even able to make a good RTS game anymore?
Warcraft I & Warcraft II is still loved by many fans today. While the game Warcraft 1 may not be played due to its age, its legacy still remain and are loved in its predecessors. We are on a Warcraft 3 fan based website. meaning we still love the game.
Many fans (especially a big russian fan base) have their own war2 website where they still play the classic war2. I myself have both of the games re-released on the GoG Galaxy and play when i want to relive the nostalgia.
Moving on to Starcraft, something Blizzard wanted to be different from all the rest of the RTS games of the time. a third faction? a factions unlike the rest of the current RTS of that time, being same stats, but different names of the units. a Paper/rock/scissors. They wanted it to NOT be "Warcraft in space", and boy did they deliver. The game took off, many expansions (most unofficial of course) and an entire country devoted to the game, so much so an eSport was created out of it. it was on daily television! It made game history for sure.
The Remastered version is awesome and I myself am considering returning to my old unfinished sc1 projects, so my kids can continue to enjoy the classic legacy games with me.

Then Warcraft 3 came out. alpha stages wanted to twist the RTS genre into a RPS (Role-Play Strategy) but came back to the idea of RTS, but using heroes! Something all of us Starcraft 1 players loved adding to our maps (the heroes). It too became an eSport in the WCG and still is beloved by many many fans including myself. The remasted/ReForged version has many pros, but many cons that I am hopeful Blizzard can sort out. These are not the same Blizzard that created the legacy games, but hopefully they will continue to have me enjoy it. if not, I am fine with the current PTR version of the old War3 TFT, until i can get a working version on my older PC that's cant install Reforged since it's 32bit. if not I will use the 1.26 version of TFT and enjoy it.

then the long awaited Starcraft II came out, "Hell its about time!" Delivering in 3 separate expansions as chapter for each race, delivering stunning graphics and awesome gameplay that added the fun of SC and later in the map editor, the new models of war3 units (not to be confused with ReForge models of war3). the map editor is far superior to any map editor created before in Blizzard games. Some seriously awesome fan made projects came from this (not to delude the fact some awesome sc1 and wc3 fan made projects). I myself want to dabble into this one day (its been 10 years you'd think I'd start soon)

Everything above being said, the question remains if Blizzard can deliver a RTS that fans will enjoy playing since the genre of RTS is "dead". Well eSport for 3 of their RTS games are still active, and far from dead. you'll need to define your word of "dead" to me since to me, RTS is far from dead, but I will agree it has died down. MOBA was created from war3 and has became the genre it is today with many different games created and business created for it.
While games continue to change and improve, something is always left behind that we miss. a good example is the fav Blizzard game, Diablo. While the previous version are still played (some may say they are dead), I'm sure a remaster if Diablo II would revitalize the beloved game, while D3 continue to prosper, yet not as favored as its predecessor.

TL DR; Can Blizzard develop a RTS that fans can enjoy? Absolutely!

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The question says it all. After seeing many people talking about Warcraft 4, I thought to myself why not ask this question. [...]
I would like them to continue developing any of their past, present and future franchises on any hardware they see fit, whatever the gaming genre and artistic direction they choose to follow. And best of all, they do not even need my authorization (nor even my approval/blessing) for them to do so, btw.

Buying/pre-ordering, or approving any of the final product(s), is another, entirely different story, though. But again, they can do *whatever* they want to do with their intellectual property, including but not limited to StarCraft 3: the Musical, live on Broadway. All because what is theirs, is theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.