• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JASS Newgen is a TROJAN!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So I had Wc3 installed on my computer, but I lost internet service to it. So I transfered my Wc3 folder and all its files onto my external hard drive so I could put it on my moms computer to play while mine gets fixed. However, when I was transferring the files, I got an error window from Norton saying a file from Newgen had a Backdoor Trojan...I don't trust Newgen anymore and I have uninstalled it and removed all newgen features from my map, which was dissapointing, but had to be done. Anyone care to clarify what might have happened?

Attachments

• NewGenVirus.JPG
    NewGenVirus.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 279
Level 12
Tell your moms computer to F*ck itself. Newgen only hacks WE to add the extra fetures into it, nothing more, nothing less. Thats why it says that, just install it, ignore it, and make an exeption in your firewall.(be sure to get it off WC3C just incase)

Have you ever bothered looking at the Troubleshooting part of the JNGP thread?

MindWorX said:
My antivirus software reports viruses, is this package infected?
No, some antivirus tools just think it is due to the nature of this tool, that works by injecting its own code into the process of the WE. Most tools allow to setup an exception for such cases, some have to be turned off though (like Kaspersky, see below). Here's a list of tools that have been reported to cause trouble with NewGen:
* Avira Antivir detects several of the files as trojans, you can choose ignore for the reports and whitelist those files later to fix the problem. (Extras\Configuration, activate export mode, under both Scanner\Scan\Exceptions and Guard\Scan\Exceptions add the offending files to the list)
* Kaspersky Antivirus also gives false alarm and it's not possible to effectively whitelist NewGen. You need to turn Kaspersky off to use NewGen (see several questions below).
* EZ Antivirus silently quarantines some files breaking the editor completely. You need to turn it off before even downloading the pack, but then you should be able to whitelist NewGen, once it's installed.
* Avast Antivirus reports false viruses. It is possible to whitelist NewGen in its configuration though.
* AVG reports false viruses and may silently delete required files. I don't know if you can set an exception in AVG.
* F-secure reports several false viruses but you can make it ignore the NewGen files.
* McAfee VirusScan Enterprise also detects some files as viruses but allows to set an exception for those.
Check the forums if you have trouble with your antivirus software and NewGen.

Source: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=90999

Level 4
@Ghost: I Don't care what you think about my avatar.

@Dan: Huh...I never read that before...but anyways, even after doing what the news said on homepage about fixing JNGP, I still can't get it running, so I can't use it anyways.

Level 22
It's a totally harmless tool.

PS: What kind of Norton do you use? Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Internet Security etc.? I have Norton Anti-Virus and it never reacted to NewGen

Status
Not open for further replies.