• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is WoW too much to pay or not?

Is WoW too much to pay?

• Nah, $15 a month makes sure there are good updates.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Maybe something like $10 or $5 is more reasonable...

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • It should be free for everything, Blizzard can make enough money off selling CD keys.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • It should be free to play original WoW but you should pay for the expansion.

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
15 is acceptable for a normal game with a normal population. I mean the servers are actually rediculously expensive, since you have massive server clusters for each actual 'realm' so yeah, I think 15 a month is fair.

In the case of WoW however, they make 15 x 10 million people every month. So, that's like 150 million dollars, each month. WoW may have hunerds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) in server equipment, but they've paid for it and maintenance like a thousand times over with what they make.

Level 21
that business my friends. just because we all know blizzard is robbing us doesnt mean that we arent getting robbed everyday. virtually everything is overpriced.....its just people making more money, and to be honest i cant blame them. i know if i were the man at the top of blizzard i wouldnt be even thinking about changing the price.

Level 13
I've played on both, and the normal server was fun because it gives a sence of... how to say this... commitment. And it was worth every penny. But then, after having it be limited, it's fun play with no restrictions.

Point is I was agreeing, I would have paid $20 if they charged it.

Level 12
Free? Why should a game with like 50 realms, each one creating a gigantic world lot of people don't use, with updates on everything, items and so on... Why free? They arn't rich, it costs them money to keep WoW up, if it was free it seriously wouldn't last long... All they get is money off of people buying it, which isnt constant, 15 bucks a month is VERY reasonable and if you can't afford it then stop whining seriously lol. 15 bucks a month really isnt much... It's well worth it. Its a huge game...lol

Last edited:
Level 36
$15 is very reasonable indeed. And its UBER reasonable if you add in how much fun your having...

But I wasn't really having "fun". When I was done for the day, I thought, "shit, I wasted my whole day making a virtual character stronger and I'm still not there". It was just the thought of getting to level 70, joining a raid guild and owning ass. Although I got there eventually, now that I look back at it, it really was a waste of my time and money.

Punwisp said:
They arn't rich
LOL!!!
OMG LOL!!!
ROFL!!! xD
You're kidding?

Level 22
Heh, again, 10 million subscribers paying 15$ a month, they get quite a net gain. However, those servers are NOT cheap, and they're constantly having to set up more and more, maintain them at a high cost, and the development cost of new content and even new games is not cheap, either. They're number of employees grows, too, and their salaries have to be paid.

I find 15$ a month reasonable. But i suppose that depends how much you play. If you are dedicated, it calculates out to only a few pennys an hour, if you are casual (as in you play less then an hour a day), its like 75 cents an hour.
-VGsatomi

Level 2
Smeh, it's reasonable to me, or I wouldn't be paying. Since I'm on the 3 month subscription it's even more reasonable. Even so you could argue that at the end of the day all you've done is waste time and money on something that doesn't mean anything...sure, but.. really you could say that about any game you buy, it's just the time / money that's different

Level 12
Its a game, meant for entertainment, thats it, not a career. Saying Blizzard is rich, is saying that have billions of dollars even after constantly paying, buying and on on due to servers and all these updates. Seriously just because they have all these servers, 15 bucks a month and so on doesn't make them rich.

Monthly subscriptions are annoying. They cost a certain amount of money that sounds reasonable, but when you add all the months you paid, the amount of money you gave is ridiculous.

15$ x 12 months = 180 dollars a year.
180 dollars a year x 10 000 000 players = 1 BILLION 800 MILLION DOLLARS

There is NO WAY servers and new content could cost that much, or even close, which means Blizzard is making INSANE amount of profits.
Yes, servers cost money to keep running, and new content also costs a lot, but this is ridiculous.
Blizzard needs money to keep WoW working, so a fee is reasonable. But not a monthly fee. A yearly subscription of 50$ or so (like XboX Live Gold) would be more reasonable.

In any case, I don't care, I just got to join a free server. So screw you, all the idiots who paid.

:)

Level 36
Heh, again, 10 million subscribers paying 15$ a month, they get quite a net gain. However, those servers are NOT cheap, and they're constantly having to set up more and more, maintain them at a high cost, and the development cost of new content and even new games is not cheap, either. They're number of employees grows, too, and their salaries have to be paid.

I find 15$ a month reasonable. But i suppose that depends how much you play. If you are dedicated, it calculates out to only a few pennys an hour, if you are casual (as in you play less then an hour a day), its like 75 cents an hour.
-VGsatomi

Those servers are cheap, although they would be expensive at a single person level, but to a giant multinational corporation they would be cheap as hell. Theoretically they could make 50 more mega-servers every month, but they don't.

Blizzard is a company. A company's goal is to make profits. So they charge their customers 12$ a month to play their game. Theoretically, if people weren't stupid enough to pay the fee, then Blizzard would lower the cost to try and get more customers.

I'm sure after a few years they'll charge a lot less (or not charge people at all) since the servers will eventually be emptied in favor of newer games, so it won't cost as much.

Level 17
Monthly subscriptions are annoying. They cost a certain amount of money that sounds reasonable, but when you add all the months you paid, the amount of money you gave is ridiculous.

15$ x 12 months = 180 dollars a year.
180 dollars a year x 10 000 000 players = 1 BILLION 800 MILLION DOLLARS

There is NO WAY servers and new content could cost that much, or even close, which means Blizzard is making INSANE amount of profits.
Yes, servers cost money to keep running, and new content also costs a lot, but this is ridiculous.
Blizzard needs money to keep WoW working, so a fee is reasonable. But not a monthly fee. A yearly subscription of 50$ or so (like XboX Live Gold) would be more reasonable.

In any case, I don't care, I just got to join a free server. So screw you, all the idiots who paid.

:)
1.8 Billion dollars can be spread out extremely sparsely, so that can't really be used an argument. If you compare WoW to another form of entertainment, cinema for example, it is very reasonable. For a 180$ annual subscription, your receiving 365 hours of entertainment(presuming the subscriber plays an hour a day), which in comparison to a movie is very low. If a movie is 2.5 hours long, an the ticket is 8.00$, it's costing you 3.20$ an hour. If a person watches 1 movie a week, they are paying 166.00$ a year, for a total of 130 hours of entertainment. You decide which is more reasonable.

1.8 Billion dollars can be spread out extremely sparsely, so that can't really be used an argument. If you compare WoW to another form of entertainment, cinema for example, it is very reasonable. For a 180$ annual subscription, your receiving 365 hours of entertainment(presuming the subscriber plays an hour a day), which in comparison to a movie is very low. If a movie is 2.5 hours long, an the ticket is 8.00$, it's costing you 3.20$ an hour. If a person watches 1 movie a week, they are paying 166.00$ a year, for a total of 130 hours of entertainment. You decide which is more reasonable.

Counting by the hour is utterly pointless and nobody watches 1 movie a week. Also, DVD rentals make more profits and you have the DVD for many more hours and for less.

1.8 billion a year is huge, in video game terms. I'm guessing they get at least 1 billion dollars of profit (when you take away the server cost and the rest of Blizzard's developing), which is absolutly ridiculous for a video game company.

Level 3
Ever think all the money isnt wasted on WoW? There's other games and employees to pay

Ever wonder why Starcraft II is coming out well after WoW has been established?

I think the 15 dollars is fine, but the cost for individual expansions needs to be lowered. I'll pay 15 dollars a month, but I think's it ridiculous to have to pay 30-35 dollars for an more content (isn't that what part of the monthly fee is supposed to go toward?) ON TOP of the 15 a month.

Level 12

I was replying to that.... So I don't know why your replying to my post.

there's other games and employees to pay
Starcraft II would be other games

Anyway I do agree its stupid to pay 50-60 bucks just for little more content then about a year later becomes 30 bucks...

Still if someone thinks 15 bucks isn't reasonable for how much work they put into a game because they can't afford it, they shouldn't play. Simple as that, 15 bucks isn't bad either, even if you have a job. I would do a yearly fee though.

Wow almost had to retype this, lost internet when i was done.:grin:

Level 2
i think 15 dollars is the right amount because it is imo the best game out and i want it to stay that way

Level 34
None of us know how much things cost for Blizzard, or what the big guys are pulling in (The CEO and whatnot). But 15 sounds high to me. I would reason that 5 would be sufficient to maintain and pay wages. Even make new content.

Also are the 10 million players counting those that don't pay anymore? I think so. So I count as one of those 10 million, but I haven't paid for WoW in over a year. So they aren't really making 1,800,000,000 a year. They could be making quite a bit less.

Level 36
Yes, but for every 1 person that quits WoW, a hundred more join in his place, so there very really could be that much coming in. WoW is growing at an astronomical rate, and it's not like millions of people have quit the game. Many thousands yes, maybe even hundreds of thousands, but definetly not millions.

Level 21
Yes, but for every 1 person that quits WoW, a hundred more join in his place, so there very really could be that much coming in. WoW is growing at an astronomical rate, and it's not like millions of people have quit the game. Many thousands yes, maybe even hundreds of thousands, but definetly not millions.

wow population is growing not falling, maily due to the lower price of the game and the expansion, plus 1 free month and that fact that £9 a month isnt much for something that can be alot of fun, when some people buy games at £40, getting new ones each month.

Level 15
Yes thats true 15$ isnt much to you who live in UK, US, Germany...
But in Serbia where average pay is 200$ per moth. Its just too much.

Level 7
Indeed
I don't play WoW not only because of the monetary costs, I also am afraid of losing my soul to the game
It seems that if you're serious about WoW, $15 isn't that bad. If you're a casual player, I certainly wouldn't pay that much. Which goes back to my point; if I don't want to get ripped off, I have to play often, and I will get eaten by WoW

Level 12
If you have no job and think WoW is too expensive you have no room to talk, if you cant afford it you have no room to talk, seriously this isnt much...

With how much is in the game and how much effort and time its amazing it isnt 30 bucks a month. If you have a job this is easily addordable. So if you have a real low paying job, no job, or just getting allowance, then you really have no room to talk and say its expensive. I get 8 bucks a week and I can still pay for WoW and do other crap.

You people really dont know how much money has been put into this and that they are only makking us pay a min of 15 bucks a month...

Status
Not open for further replies.