• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Trolling Real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I feel like I'm trolled by this thread :D

But on a more serious note, yes - trolling is absolutely real. The idea of trolling is that you don't just post your opinion, no matter how controversial it is, but that you write or say something that you don't necessarily think or which might not be real only to get people to react to it and get attention. Do people do that? Yes, absolutely.

It's also true that nowadays, a lot of people blame way too much on "trolling", i.e. accuse others of trolling/lying/joking to discredit their opinion. It's one of the things that annoy me in the internet. The other major one being people trying to sell their subjective opinions as objective facts, which kinda often goes in line with the issue brought up by the OP.

Reactions: pyf
Level 19
back at last... I still don't know why they banned me but I remember some confusion with ralle where he thought I was insulting him just because I was error checking the hive

boy.... I guess he was under some kinda pressure but what they hey time to continue error checking :D

hey ralle! my ban notification didn't specify why I was banned and it banned me for a day extra than the allotted time. you should really fix that.

I hope trouble shooting isn't considered tolling here on the hive

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

The idea of trolling is that you don't just post your opinion, no matter how controversial it is, but that you write or say something that you don't necessarily think or which might not be real only to get people to react to it and get attention.
Teaches others to stay alert online and not take everything seriously.

Level 22
Almost everyone sits on the edge nowadays. Tap or poke someone and that someone will retaliate with a force of ten thousand suns. There was a time when people used to poke each other without experiencing the wrath of the Mahabharata. ~ edo494

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Almost everyone sits on the edge nowadays. Tap or poke someone and that someone will retaliate with a force of ten thousand suns. There was a time when people used to poke each other without experiencing the wrath of the Mahabharata. ~ edo494
I'd say we the millenials in general act very entitled. It easily leads to a pretentious and tense atmosphere.

Level 22
Is Trolling Real?
Trolling is real. It's something people do when they have too much time on their hands and desperately want attention by acting like someone who they are not. People don't like trolls and that's why the trolls continue doing it in the first place. If people ignored them, thus not giving them the attention they so desperately want then they will stop and move on. At least in my case it has always worked that way.
This is my opinion on the matter.

Level 20
@Championfighter25
Well, the sad truth about internet in general is that most people prefer arguing with trolls or replying to rude posts than actually having a real and civil discussion on the topic. This is mostly due to the fact that controversial statements trigger an emotional response that incites people to respond and since a lot of people are too lazy to think without that sort of push, I highly doubt that trolling will ever become less effective :)

Status
Not open for further replies.