• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Trolling Real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
The question might be a little deceiving but yes. Is Trolling Real or is it a lie used to remove personal opinion from the flock.

I've noticed on the net that if someone expressed their opinion and it just happens to be in conflict with the larger crowds opinion, then they instantly accuse them of trolling. Even when they are right!!!!

which bring me back to, is trolling real or a lie created to keep the masses ignorant?

San

San

Level 32
upload_2017-1-16_13-53-41.png

Level 12
Is Trolling Real or is it a lie used to remove personal opinion from the flock

That depends on what you consider personal opinion. Let's say someone goes to every video of a certain band on YouTube and comments "this song sux, this band sux very bigly", and when prompted by other commenters to elaborate his opinion he responds with "you sux. I am king and ur poo-poo" (I'm not exaggerating, there's stuff like that on YouTube).

When the argument is not to the point, when reverting immediately to ad hominem, and hack just the general feel you get. There's a big difference between "I don't like this song. I just don't" and "this song is shit, you are shit, kill yourself". Now, sure this might be his honest opinion, but it isn't really enriching or a good display of opinion. But this is not trolling, it's just posting dumb boring shit.

The moment OP/original commanter/something starts picking individual users with idiocy like "u sux u poo-poo go kill urself" it's more in the scope of trolling.

TL;DR
I do awful imitations of YouTube trolls and someone should invent a measure to count the percentage of trolling in a certain text (like Richter scale) - the "Trololometer™".

Level 25
Trolling is the purpose of baiting others into creating angry flameposts.
Some people think it's just posting really retarded stuff and calls it trolling, that to me isn't a troll.. It's just someone posting really stupid things and making a fool of themselves.

Level 19
I'm talking about when there is a generally respected idea and someone comes along with a query that disrupts this respected idea.

for instance if I were to say....harry potter is an interesting book but why is it when two wizards use the same spell against each other, one is the victor. to me that sounds like the author is taking the easy way out to insure their character is the victor.

then I get a response that I'm a troll pointing out only the negatives in the storyline...

now this might seem like a silly example but it happens. there is a fan mentality that nothing their author/inspiration/favorite artist does is wrong.

again you could say the same thing of peoples sexual preferences. if I were to say, 'I don't mind gays but....' I would instantly get a retaliation. in a way it is as if a reverse troll mechanism has fired because in a situation like that any opinion or objection you might have marks you off as a troll. meaning effectively they are disputing your right to an opinion through the power of troll shaming.

anyway what do you guys think? ever experienced this?

Level 35
which bring me back to, is trolling real or a lie created to keep the masses ignorant? (not kidding, he actually said that)

In order to understand the true meaning behind trolling, you need to go back to the first instance of the word being used.

Although the term "trolling" first became officially associated with its modern sense in 1992 edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, the word was already commonly in use during the late '80s in online communities.

As far as modern research identified, the first instance of the actually term appearing during an online dialogue was in 1985 on a forum called "Skull and Bones", where a user called "TheD46" accused another pair of users called "Bu$Jr" and "BO" of being "trolls" when they were discussing a solution for pacifying the Middle-East. The first user was actually suggesting to create a fake war with a huge disaster, which was to be blamed on a few countries in the region, the second one was describing how through chaos, the area would be rendered unstable and busy fighting local wars so they could not harass other, West-friendly countries in the area.

The user "Bu$Jr" was found out to be George Bush and "BO" was later found out to be Barack Obama.

They found the term "troll" so appealing that they actually started accusing everyone who disagreed with with being "trolls", in order to silence their political opponents and encourage their allies to do the same. They took control of the Illuminati and the Freemasons by this tactic, then the world plunged into chaos with their presidency.

To this day, the term "troll" is a LIE used by OBAMA to KEEP THE MASSES IGNORANT! WAKE UP!

Last edited:
Level 19
People want to win the debate and throw the troll card? Simple answer "how does that counter my argument".
Ha good one ^-^

I see people get rather passionately defensive about these things, but at least now I can rely on your direct quote

@Zombie

What do you have against Obama? I double youf source is correct because Bush is so stupid he probably doesn't know what a computer is^-^

still you got me to laugh and that is all that matters

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In order to understand the true meaning behind trolling, you need to go back to the first instance of the word being used.
All about trolling and its many aspects:
Trolling | Know Your Meme

As far as modern research identified, the first instance of the actually term appearing during an online dialogue was in 1985 on a forum called "Skull and Bones", where a user called "TheD46" accused another pair of users called "Bu$Jr" and "BO" of being "trolls" when they were discussing a solution for pacifying the Middle-East. The first user was actually suggesting to create a fake war with a huge disaster, which was to be blamed on a few countries in the region, the second one was describing how through chaos, the area would be rendered unstable and busy fighting local wars so they could not harass other, West-friendly countries in the area.

The user "Bu$Jr" was found out to be George Bush and "BO" was later found out to be Barack Obama. [...]
:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 35
@Zombie

What do you have against Obama? I double youf source is correct because Bush is so stupid he probably doesn't know what a computer is^-^

still you got me to laugh and that is all that matters

I have nothing against Obama, what I wrote is the truth.

FSB, Kremlin and Rosneft insiders compiled the evidence and sent it to a mongolian spy who sent it to a chinese counter-intelligence officer, who sent it to the FBI, who threw the report in the trash, where a mexican illegal immigrant found it and put it on his Twitter, then the champion of truth journalism, Buzzfeed reported on it.

You can check the dossier here.

All about trolling and its many aspects:
Trolling | Know Your Meme

That's a lie spread by illuminati drones like Lady Gaga to keep the masses in the dark.

Level 19
I have nothing against Obama, what I wrote is the truth.

FSB, Kremlin and Rosneft insiders compiled the evidence and sent it to a mongolian spy who sent it to a chinese counter-intelligence officer, who sent it to the FBI, who threw the report in the trash, where a mexican illegal immigrant found it and put it on his Twitter, then the champion of truth journalism, Buzzfeed reported on it.

That's a lie spread by illuminati drones like Lady Gaga to keep the masses in the dark.
You should have used.the video from south park, 'what what in my butt' because you are full of it you big troll!

on a side note, ha ha ha....

pyf

pyf

Level 32

@Zombie : I am currently playing the video backwards at different speeds, to hopefully grasp the info hidden in the audio track. As for the video part, my trusty anaglyph 3D glasses should come in handy to spot the cleverly hidden text in it.

Twin Peaks - Dr. Lawrence Jacoby.jpg

And naaah, trolling can't be real, of course. :smile:

Last edited:
Level 19
can someone explain to me what is trolling
trolling is ignoring every other opinion and argument and instead, despite any logic, pressing your own agenda.

for instance naruto fans are well known for this. stipulating that their favourite character is the best in every way and everyone else sucks. when you mention all the innocent lives their character killed or war crimes and fallacies, theyinstead of defending their character with facts will instead attack you directly.

the same with my argument that all Islamic countries are at war(which is a fact). I was basically forced out of a forum. basically I was trolled out.

hope my personal experience helped ^-^

Does trolling really exist? Does it not? To those who are open of mind, hidden truths are unraveled beneath shallow indignation. They see all, consider all and believe not at all in this regard.

Ignoramus de facto, when one goes out of his/her way to harass another, does the target view it as trolling? It depends on what his/her mind tells him about it and bear this in mind, the biggest troll of all is the troll of none, for he who plays the fool shall have fooled those who dare laugh at fools.

In shoort, trolling only exists if you allow it to be.

Level 19
Does trolling really exist? Does it not? To those who are open of mind, hidden truths are unraveled beneath shallow indignation. They see all, consider all and believe not at all in this regard.

Ignoramus de facto, when one goes out of his/her way to harass another, does the target view it as trolling? It depends on what his/her mind tells him about it and bear this in mind, the biggest troll of all is the troll of none, for he who plays the fool shall have fooled those who dare laugh at fools.

In shoort, trolling only exists if you allow it to be.
you can't ignore a troll when they travel in packs. when they are the majority you will suddenly be labeled the wolf in sheep's clothing among trolls.

the only solution is to have your arguments in bars, and whenever someone replies with unreasonable arguments you can beat the sense back into them

Level 12
The question might be a little deceiving but yes. Is Trolling Real or is it a lie used to remove personal opinion from the flock.

I've noticed on the net that if someone expressed their opinion and it just happens to be in conflict with the larger crowds opinion, then they instantly accuse them of trolling. Even when they are right!!!!

which bring me back to, is trolling real or a lie created to keep the masses ignorant?

You do have a very solid point there

Level 19
trolls

it seem to me that trolls are more appreciated then the average conversationalist.

sad really.

conversation and the internet is turning into nothing more than memes. people have forgotten how to talk to each other, and more than this. people have forgotten that their is another living breathing human being on the other side, who... actually maybe they acknowledge the person on the other side and want to hurt and cause them pain as much as possible.

why? How can people be so cruel or why are they so shallow? I mean their has got to be something seriously wrong with you if you only feel good when you degrade and insults others

and it's pretty obvious that trolls aren't as aggressive in real life, because if they were they wouldn't need the internet.

I don't think I'm making a very good argument here... but hopefully you know what I mean

trolling very much depends on intent.

a person who disagrees with the majority opinion and behaves in a childish opinion isn't necessarily a troll. if the person is deliberately trying to provoke an overreaction or emotional response, often (but not necessarily) to demonstrate a certain point, then he's trolling.
sometimes, though, people genuinely have a contrary opinion and are just immature/unable to respond well to criticism.

your naruto fans & islamic argument (lol) examples probably aren't trolling.

Level 19
trolling very much depends on intent.

a person who disagrees with the majority opinion and behaves in a childish opinion isn't necessarily a troll. if the person is deliberately trying to provoke an overreaction or emotional response, often (but not necessarily) to demonstrate a certain point, then he's trolling.
sometimes, though, people genuinely have a contrary opinion and are just immature/unable to respond well to criticism.

your naruto fans & islamic argument (lol) examples probably aren't trolling.
and my harry potter example?

it is basically the same but obviously they are trolling

Level 14
for instance if I were to say....harry potter is an interesting book but why is it when two wizards use the same spell against each other, one is the victor. to me that sounds like the author is taking the easy way out to insure their character is the victor.

then I get a response that I'm a troll pointing out only the negatives in the storyline...
I think that what's going on in this example is not really related to trolling as much as you let on in the title and first post.
What is going on here is a common rethorical strategy used in arguments among people, discredit. "If I can't defeat your logic, I'll cast doubt over you as a person" is the theme. The person that tells you that you're a troll is trying to make your opinion less acceptable by showing that it comes from a person whose motivations are despicable: what you wrote, no matter how true or logical, was written to provoke and sow discord, therefore should not be considered seriously.
At this point I suggest you expose the rethorical trick: "this person is targeting me because he cannot find flaws in my logic" and the sense of unacceptability is reversed onto your adversary.

Trolling in itself has little role to play here, it's just a handy "discrediting label". The person who answered could have said you were a liar, or a crazy person.

Level 11
IIT:

A human behind the keyboard with many ignorant ideas is often mistaken for being a troll and posts a rant/conspiracy how there are no real trolls... in a trolling board.

The internet responds: challenge accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.