• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Common Misconceived Definition of Trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Unrelated: :ogre_hurrhurr: halp takhinje pls@!

Related:

Thanks to the 4chan phenomena a lot of trolls have spread from that little nook of theirs into the rest of the internet.

But why do most people define trolling similar to this?:

>Guy gives a shitty idea (given that the same guy isn't a troll)
>Someone disagrees
>Guy with shitty idea disagrees with the person disagreeing
>Guy with shitty idea calls the person a troll
>Possible Ad Hominem attacks from both sides

So most of the time, someone disagrees with you, you call him a troll.

But what if that guy made that comment with sincerity and passion, and not to kickstart chaos and anarchism?

Is he still called a troll? Will he still be subject to rules and actions to deal with "trolls"? You wouldn't let someone make the "trollbait" realize he's an idiot?

Level 17
People are stupid, and the internet is loaded with stupid people. They'll never grasp the definition of trolling even if you force-fed it to them with a silver spoon.

Level 24
even mods and admins?

shouldn't they have a CORRECT dictionary of terms about things that can be used to swing the banhammer?

So we're supposed to be in zero-tolerance or something, but eh - I'll bite.

1. What is a dictionary of terms? Is it like a list of phrases that we can ban people for?
  2. Correctness, and indeed even CORRECTness, is a subjective measure when it comes to something like a ban. One man's percieved injustice is another's man's percieved justice.
  3. How would you suggest anyone create this 'dictionary of terms', and is it different than the existing site rules?
  4. Creating a thread about another topic and then turning it into a thread where you whine about the moderation really wasn't all that subtle.

I honestly think the only approach that leads to successful moderation is to have a group of like-minded individuals on staff who are capable of keeping within a basic ruleset and utilizing common sense. I'm not saying we necessarily have this now, or have had it in the past, or even will have it in the future. But whenever people suggest that we develop detailed rules they never provide evidence of this approach ever working on a forum. So I'd be curious to see an example of a well-moderated site that subscribes to your "dictionary of terms" approach.

Level 9
So we're supposed to be in zero-tolerance or something, but eh - I'll bite.

1. What is a dictionary of terms? Is it like a list of phrases that we can ban people for?
  2. Correctness, and indeed even CORRECTness, is a subjective measure when it comes to something like a ban. One man's percieved injustice is another's man's percieved justice.
  3. How would you suggest anyone create this 'dictionary of terms', and is it different than the existing site rules?
  4. Creating a thread about another topic and then turning it into a thread where you whine about the moderation really wasn't all that subtle.

I honestly think the only approach that leads to successful moderation is to have a group of like-minded individuals on staff who are capable of keeping within a basic ruleset and utilizing common sense. I'm not saying we necessarily have this now, or have had it in the past, or even will have it in the future. But whenever people suggest that we develop detailed rules they never provide evidence of this approach ever working on a forum. So I'd be curious to see an example of a well-moderated site that subscribes to your "dictionary of terms" approach.

well originally I wasn't whining about moderation albeit another user but yeah meh.

1. Dictionary - I usually see other users using an incorrect definition of trolling and etc. As I said, they define trolling in some outward illusion despite the "troll" only disagreed with them.
2. Correctness - Wasn't talking about the bans. I was talking about ignorance. Perception of Justice will not be relative if there are other perceptions inducted in the process.
3. Not different. Just an addition.
4. Yeah made a mistake there. But I do believe I was still on the main point.

Level 14
Trolling
36evic.jpg

Level 22
People are stupid, and the internet is loaded with stupid people.

Speak for yourself lol.

What can I say, when people and even bosses have called me a smart person, I know there are smarter than me, but I know I am one too, I do not give a slight fuck what someone on the internet tells me.

I am sorry if I made it look as if I care if someone called me stupid on the internet.

Trolls are people that are out to get a rise out of others. They're the kids in school that say "I like titties" in class, and sit there with a big smile on their face waiting for someone to react. Most, however, especially on the internet, are malicious, and should be dealt with immediately.

We still have one lurking around that hasn't been... diciplined.

Level 15
I thought trolling was when you escalate an argument into something way more complicated than it has to be just to waste their time and/or piss them off.

EDIT: Thinking back on my life and I now understand why people used to call me a troll

Level 22

And that is? I sincerely hope you do not refer to me as a 'troll' but to someone else. Just had to make sure.

Whoever that is, just do not make such comments here, you have your Private Staff forum for that, this could only cause wars when in public..

Last edited:
Level 19
Trolls are people that are out to get a rise out of others. They're the kids in school that say "I like titties" in class, and sit there with a big smile on their face waiting for someone to react. Most, however, especially on the internet, are malicious, and should be dealt with immediately.

DISCIPRINE

just type out who you mean ffs

also yeah, the staff seems to have a strange definition of trolling

Trolling is the deliberate act of doing any of these things:
Posting off-topic posts (includes derailing)
Arguing for the sake of arguing
Lying/deceiving/acting stupid
Implied flaming (ie. subtle flaming/insulting)

Motives are varied. Usually one does this to provoke other user(s) or to attract attention. Jokes can be often confused with trolling, especially when one user 'jokes' with another user who is not well acquainted. (eg. if riotz said to me "u r a nooby kid", I would be like "no u". if vermillion edict said the same, I'd think he was trolling and tell him to fuck off)

A troll is one who does these acts frequently.

Level 22
Posting off-topic posts (includes derailing)

I've done that, posting not quite related to the topic. But I disagree this to be trolling. I posted something only because this something was an interest of me to discuss, without the intention to derail or cause havoc. If as you say below:

Arguing for the sake of arguing

happens, that's how derailing occurs.

Trolling is when you do it to cause spam and reaction so as to piss people off, something I never did for that purpose yet they've done with me.

And I pulled myself out of the current Site Discussion threads to see hows they go without me 'going offtopic'. Well it seems threads get derailed again, so according to that defiition, everyone's a troll lol

Just had to clarify some things even about myself, you know cleanin' the dirt, before I go off for long.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
A troll is someone who posts a provocative post with the intent to annoy people and "feeds" off (is amused by) reading their responses.

The two most common troll types are...
People who pretend to need help and ask really stupid questions, often with deliberate mistakes to make responses more entertaining.
People who state information that has been manipulated to get people to post amusing comments.

Trolls often act in packs where another troll appears to support the argument of the first troll in an attempt to make posts more amusing.

By "amusing" I mean to them. For most of us (like myself) it is far from that.

The problem is some posts which seem to be "troll" posts are actually not. This can happen if points of views are heavily mismatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.