• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The "Great Troll War" Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Sorry for the double post, but I obviously didn't do it on purpose. These forums are a little faster now, but still very slow compared to most, and it came up with a "timed out" message, so I pressed back and pressed the submit button again, and then logged off the computer, lol, so I didn't even see it until now.

Level 7
Oh, also, here is the new Forest Troll Underling model:

trollunderlingpic0nv.png

Skin by Timfarman and model/anims by Jigrael.

The Forest Troll Underling is the basic building unit for the Forest Trolls.

Level 25
All the forest trolls we've seen in WC2 and WC3 are all headhunters and spellcasters, obviously pretty high ranking trolls

WOW has some trolls with varying hairstyles, but could you really see an underling, the very bottom of troll society, having the same hairstyle as the highest and most powerful troll?

Could always just chop it it a bit so he has a puny mohawk or something

Level 7
The team seems to be in agreement that the Underling looks good the way it is (looks more humanish, which makes him look weaker from a troll perspective). Anyways, that doesn't mean we won't do anything to it later.

Now, for some new stuff:

guardpic7bc.png

Azerothien Guard (Model/Anims- Jigrael; Skin- Timfarman)

archerguardpic4ha.png

Azerothien Archer Guard (Model/Anims- Jigrael; Skin- Timfarman)

publicpreview4ng.jpg

Forest Troll Axewielder (Model- Norinrad; Skin- P!nS)

publicpreview8ej.jpg

Forest Troll Spearthrower (Skin- P!nS)

Bow on the Archer Guard subject to change.

Level 6
Wonderful Work Jigrael and Timfarman on the Azerothian Guards

:shock: wonderful modelling norinad and :D skinning by pins.

Level 7
Sorry for the double post, but I thought this information to be radically different enough, and important enough to risk such an act.

I quote Day of the Dragon, the first WarCraft novel:

"War.
It had once seemed to some of the Kirin Tor, the magical conclave of Dalaran, that the world of Azeroth had never known anything but constant bloodshed. There had been the trolls, before the Alliance of Lordaeron, and when at last humanity had dealt with that foul menace, the first wave of Orcs had descended upon the lands..."

If the Troll Wars happened 8,000 years before WCI, the wording of that passage seems a bit too recent... It sounds as if the Orcs had come just after the trolls, not thousands of years later. This DEFINITELY hints that there was another war involving trolls. Thus, the Great Troll War. Definitely makes sense now. Though only a scant few details may have been on that part of the Blizz website (accessible only via google... odd...) seem to have been correct details.

I'm not sure if Knaak is referencing the Alliance of Lordaeron as the one that is currently in place (at the time of the book) and that was formed during the Second War against the Orcs or if it refers to the force that defeated the Forest Trolls. Either one works, as what little information that link contained, it did hint that Lordaeron was again the focal point for an alliance.

Another key part of the quote: "... when at last humanity had dealt with that foul menace..."

That part right there makes it look as if the trolls were a great threat to humanity, and that the trolls threatened primarily the humans, more so than they did the Elves or Dwarves. Remember that in Blizzard's stuff on the Troll Wars, the trolls were more of a future threat to humanity when the humans united to crush them; they were not an immediate threat, and were definitely a much greater threat to the Elves. It's not much, but the style and wording of that quote definitely contribute to the fact that this seems to be a different troll war he speaks of.

In conclusion, I'd say that the evidence points to the fact that the Great Troll War is indeed real, and is viable in WC lore.

Level 25
Knaak wrote that book after Warcraft 2. That was when half of the stuff didn't exist

I seem to remember many refrences to Northron in that book. Northron just plain ol' doesn't exist, despite being mentioned in the WC2 manual as well. He also calls a bunch of the dwarves "Hill dwarves", which we know don't exist

And I'm guessing its saying that the trolls existed before Lordaren existed, which would make sense with my earlier statements. Lordaren didn't exist until after Strom was formed. I'm guessing they're saying when humanity finally delt with them to due constant attacks by troll warbands and simular

Also, the Axewielder's weapons are sorta floating to the side of its hands

Level 7
Actually, it's his hand wrapping around the axe. Cursed low-poly modeling, and trolls only have two fingers, making it worse. Anyways, we're replacing the axe.

Back on topic, you're basically saying that Blizzard just said f*** everything when they made WCIII, and threw everything out, and totally remade the storyline. I find that kinda hard to believe, and I still count manuals as being something akin to canon. For instance, Star Wars has many books and such (EU, or Expanded Universe) but if any of that clashes with the movies, the movies always win the "clash".

As such, the WC manuals should be counted among those things that simply can't be changed. At any rate, Day of the Dragon is still official Blizzard sotry material, and since as far as the Great Troll War goes, nothing in the "new" Blizzard lore clashes with it, we must assume that it is true, based both on the information in DotD and in the mysterious portion of the Blizzard site. There may be small things whcih clash with the idea of two troll wars, and one so close to WCI, but nothing major, and not nearly enough to discout a manual and a Blizzard sanctioned book.

Status
Not open for further replies.