• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The "Great Troll War" Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Blizzard had a small section on the blizzard site about 9 months back stating of a "Great Troll War" which was only accesible by a google search. Which has inspired the great terranup16 to create a mod for it. This mod will include new models sounds icons arts campaigns and races. The mod has been working on for some time now but it needs supporters. I'm only a lowly fanboy thats trying to put the word out there in the open. I have a few lil teasers to put on this site (It has been authorised by terranup16)

Chief Harraxe was born somewhere in southeast Azeroth as the son of Chief Plagaraxe (Trolls don't have first and last names). His father commanded the Blood Axe clan, and Harraxe took over the clan when he came of the correct age. His father died three years after his ascension. His father died on a mission to attack a human convoy. The convoy was much more-heavily guarded than they thought it would be. They assaulted it anyways. Plagaraxe was taken captive when trying to save one of his the members from his assault team. The humans tortured him, killed him, and sent his burned body back to Harraxe. Harraxe, enraged at the humans' treatment of his father, began training his Blood Axe clan to be the most-elite Troll clan.
Harraxe assigned Buljin to train Trolls who would be either throwing axes or spears. Thrax was assigned to train Blood Axe Trolls in melee combat. Throin instructed Trolls in magical and voodoo arts. These three Trolls were easily the best in their respective categories. Combined with Harraxe, they were able to mold the Blood Axe clan into the most lethal Troll fighting force ever created. Within a year Harraxe's clan was raiding outposts and convoys frequently and successfully.
One year later, the Azerothien King proclaimed the Troll Containment Act. This was in response to growing raids by Trolls as a whole, although the Blood Axe clan was a major part of it. The act allowed humans to hunt down, kill, and bring back Troll heads for bounty, paid by local lords.
This enraged all the Trolls. A vast majority of Troll Chieftains from clans in Azeroth met to discuss the issue. The meeting took place roughly a week after the act was announced.
The unanimous descision was that the Trolls should unite to fight the common human foe. They decided to elevate 20 chieftains to warlord status. These warlords would control all the clans in their respective regions. Harraxe thought that there was no way he would not be a warlord. Zinji won the position though, due to what Harraxe thought of as politics. The real reason the other chieftains did not choose Harraxe was because they were afraid to give him too much power. This attitude would change later.
Harraxe was furious with not being chosen as a warlord, and removed his clan from the coalition. He has now begun to fight his own war against the Azerothien humans... (to be continued at a later date when we see fit to reveal more information about the mod's storyline)

Thats the main characters bio and a small piece of artwork made by the GREAT WEREWULF!

The mod will include 8 new races including the Great Trolls. The human races are Gilneas,Alterac,Lordaeron, Stormgarde and Azeroth. There will also be the Mountain Dwarves and High Elves. If you want to know anymore about this mod which i believe you do go to http://www.k2o-gk.com/TrollWarsModWebsite/phpBB2/index.php or the new forums which will the main supply of information when they are up and running fully http://www.polarmaps.net/trollwars/forum/ well please have a look this is going to be one mod you dont want to miss.

Level 6
Oo thx terranup16 i wish i could become moderator. I also posted this on some of the other forums i know of. (the "Great Troll War" mod) I really want this mod to be big.

Level 6
<PMM>TerranUp16 said:
Just a small note here:

Mavus isn't a part of the team, lol, but I think this certainly puts him in a good position to be a moderator for our forums.

thats exactly what i meant. :wink:

Level 25
Ok, where to begin

Firstly, trollish names are earned. Take for instance Zul'Jin, our favourite forest troll from Warcraft 2. Jin means leader, and as for what Zul means... I have no idea. But it must mean something important, as three important trollish areas or cities, Zul'Amun of the Forest Trolls, Zul'Gurub of the Jungle Trolls and Zul'Farrak of the Sand Trolls, all have Zul in their names

Secondly, a Forest Troll could not have been born in southeast Azeroth. That puts him roughly in Stranglethorn Vale. That is FAR out of Forest Troll territory. Southeast Lordaren I could see, as that would be in Silverpine or Hillsbrad, but Forest Trolls haven't crossed the Thandol span. They spanned from Zul'Amun to Arathi, and still do to this day. Though not with the same impact they used to have

Thirdly, most of those human nations you talked about didn't exist back during the Troll Wars. Infact, the only one which sort of did was Stromgarde, known as Strom back then, and quite known for defeating all of the other human tribes and then uniting them under its own banner to help out the elves defeat the trolls. Eventually Dalaran sprung up due to the pact between the elves and the humans, but the nations of Lordaren, Gilneas, Kul'Tiras and Alterac wouldn't spring up until years later, along with Stormwind

The dwarves were still in Uldaman, Ulduar and Uldum

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter2.html#13

That's basically what happaned during the troll wars

Level 6
Ug great ur warcraft lore may be but this is like 50 years before warcraft 1 so all the nations are formed and ect.. I think ask terranup

Level 25
50 years before WC1 the forest trolls were a ruined nation to be soon united by Zul'Jin and then break apart again

And no matter what the time, a forest troll would find it impossible to cross the Thandol Span and be born in Azeroth rather than Lordaren

Level 6
Mecheon go get up another campaign or mod that you havent allready cause as far as you knowing about wc3 lore then Mecheon is right everyone else is wrong end of story. So... rest your case... or talk to terranup he knows lots!

Level 6
Hey thats insult! Im not to dumb for wc3!!!
What i meant to say is Mecheon is to smart for wc3 lore its like he wrote the stuff!

Level 7
Kinda tough to talk about 50 years before WCI when there is very little about it, and the only thing that had anything about it was of the Great Troll War (found it via Google, it was actually a section of the Blizzard site, but I never figured out how to reach it from blizzard.com, so I always used Google; they took it off after the announcement of the Burning Crusade =(. It specifically said that the war started in Southeast Azeroth. Remember also that trolls, Forest Trolls especially, are like rocks, wherever you go you'll find some there. Also, at this point, the Forest Trolls are still broken, although they've recovered enough to form clans. All the trolls in Azeroth will unite under the human threat. They will be able to carry the war into nations like Khaz Modan, Stromgarde, and Quel'Thalas (among many others) b/c they can constantly add trolls to their ranks wherever they go on either the Lordaeron or Azeroth continents.

Level 25
Southeast Azeroth is FAR out of Forest Troll territory. I would expect to see jungle trolls or snow trolls there, but definantly not the forest type

Just look at any map of Azeroth. The southeast is the Swamp of Sorrows/Stranglethorn Vale, both of which are inhabbited only by Jungle trolls

To be exact, the area known as Azeroth is made up of Elwynn Forest, Redridge Mountains, Westfall, Duskwood, the Swamp of Sorrows, Deadwind Pass, the Blasted Lands and Stranglethorn Vale

Forest Trolls are found in Lordaren. Lordaren is the Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine Forest, Alterac Mountains, Hillsbrad Plains, Arathi, the Hinterlands, Quel'Thalas, and the areas which are now known as the Plaguelands, though used to be part of Lordaren. Of those places, forest trolls inhabbit all of them except for Alterac, the Glades and Silverpine, and those are the only places in all of the world of Azeroth inhabbited by Forest Trolls

Level 7
Actually, he's overlooking something major here. That major thing is that he's refferencing World of WarCraft material, but WoW is set over 75 years after the mod. In that time, there have been three massive wars which have forever not only changed the inhabitants, but the landscape as well.

Taking into account that he is using WoW material, which is much too far in the future to truly use as reference for the mod, and also taking into account all the events happening between those times, it might be quite possible that I purposely constructed the storyline so as to explain how the Forest Trolls came to be only on the Lordaeron continent and not in Azeroth. Didn't think of that, did he? Also, the Dark Portal is caused much of the warping of Azeroth's fair terrain, and thus many geographical features in WoW are simply not applicable in GTW. Even many geographical features in WCII are not applicable to GTW.

Level 6
Why do you two have to make life so confusing.... Lets just leave at the fact that you two will be arguing forever in this forum about which trolls live where... Or the other way around you confused me to much!

Level 25
Fine, I'll pull a WC1 map out on you

Black Morass is where the Blasted Lands and Swamp of Sorrows are. Duskwood doesn't exist, being all nice and stuff. The Vale is still the Vale, and the thing only shows up to Stormwind

The Horde first met the Forest Trolls after crossing the waters between Lordaren and Khaz'Modan, which is in the north of Azeroth

The only forests in south eastern Azeroth are Elwynn, inhabbited by the humans and gnolls, and Duskwood, which back then was human territory as well though soon about to get rampaged over by a bunch of orcs followed by a large group of pissed off Worgen

Forest Trolls could NOT have lived in south east Azeroth. I think what it's talking about with this troll war is the internal one between groups of Jungle Trolls relating to Hakkar. Basically, jungle trolls worship Hakkar, some find out he's evil, bunch still like him. Troll kick worshipper's asses and force them into this one temple in the Swamp for all eternity. No mention of forest trolls at all

You need a boat to cross from Khaz'Modan to Lordaren, hence the intro cinimatic of Warcraft 2. Yeah, there's a huge arch connecting them, but that's pattrolled by dwarves all the time. Oh, and it existed several hundred years before WC1, so yeah

Level 7
I've looked-over the WCI maps. I respect them more than I do the WCII, III, or WoW maps, but it's still possible the portal could have twisted the areas near it.

Also, the text specifically said Forest Trolls. Anyways, The Great Troll War was probably the event which drove Forest Trolls out of Azeroth.

Also, I know of the great land bridge (actually, there are three). I'm not going to comment on whether it is used or not yet on the grounds it will reveal too much of the storyline.

Level 6
:shock: you to are the smartest people with wc lore i know...... :shock: maybe you should continue your argument via PM or something..

Level 25
There's only two arches, built by the dwarves after the War of the Three Hammers in order to keep the Bronzebeards and the Wildhammers in contact with each other

But I'm still VERY dubious about forest trolls being in Azeroth at all. I mean, if the Skullsplitters, the Darkspears and the Bloodscalps can hate each other and yet still live in the same jungle, I can't see a random group of forest trolls living in either a swamp, a human filled part of forest or a rocky pass between said swamp and said forest (Deadwind Pass, we KNOW its been there pre WC1 because Medivh has said that it was if he was ment to build a tower there) living there for very long without getting slaughters. At that, it would be very hard for them to actually get there. They would need to travel through a forest, then through a small mountain range (Redridge), then into a volcanic wasteland (Burning Steppes/Searing Gorge), then into a wasteland (Badlands), then they'd be in the Loch. Then to the Wetlands, then FINALY cross the gap and in Arathi

Now, in WoW I can make that trip in about 10 minutes on wyvernback. Now, lets look realisticly. It takes a regularly sized army in the Warcraft world 3 days to go from Hammerfall (East Arathi) to Durnholde Keep (East Hillsbrad). Arathi is east of Hillsbrad and is a rather smallish zone compared to things

So, based on a rough estimate, I reckon it'd take weeks on end for any group to go from the south eastern end of Azeroth up to Lordaren. And most forest trolls were up there anyway, after the Helves and HUmans versus trolls war

Level 6
Mecheon :shock: i think you mightve won... but i dont see any reason for this mod to be called off it's awesome anyway. Terranup im sorry it seems like the possibility is very unprobable at this time. Although this mod is still awesome. Keep up all the good work over at GTW Forums!

Level 7
Am I a prophet or what? Lol. It actually wouldn't take a prophet to figure out that question was coming next.

Anyways, Creative License basically means that you can mold the storyline/history for what is best for the game. For instance, in Company of Heroes they will use real cities, but they will change the lay-outs to do what is best for the game. That is creative license.

I actually really don't need to invoke that, as there is no clear evidence that this could not have happened, and there actually was a page on the Blizz site saying it did (although it may have been removed, it was there at least). Anyways, wrong or right, creative license basically allows the designer to disregard portions of the storyline, especially hazy ones, and definitely any that would hurt gameplay.

Creative license is also used a lot in games based on movies or books.

Level 7
Am I a prophet or what? Lol. It actually wouldn't take a prophet to figure out that question was coming next.

Anyways, Creative License basically means that you can mold the storyline/history for what is best for the game. For instance, in Company of Heroes they will use real cities, but they will change the lay-outs to do what is best for the game. That is creative license.

I actually really don't need to invoke that, as there is no clear evidence that this could not have happened, and there actually was a page on the Blizz site saying it did (although it may have been removed, it was there at least). Anyways, wrong or right, creative license basically allows the designer to disregard portions of the storyline, especially hazy ones, and definitely any that would hurt gameplay.

Creative license is also used a lot in games based on movies or books.

Status
Not open for further replies.