• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Russia A Possible Threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
A few weeks ago Russia created the "Father Of All Bombs" and said that it can annihilate any object to dust within very few seconds. Being that the US has the "Mother Of All Bombs", I'm guessing the US is in quite a pickel. Do you think Russia would ever launch their enterprise against any country any time soon? Do you think the US would be able to retaliate effectively and quickly?
~Craka_J

Level 4
People will inevitably have different desires that conflict, and they would prefer satisfying thier desires completely rather than considering the other's desires and coming to a compromise. Thats just human nature, and besides, humans are not naturally empathetic with people they dont personally know. Empathy like that is developed from experience. You dont believe me then look at the past.

On Topic: Theres going to be another major war inevitably imo, there always have been huge wars between major nations, and its probably not going to change anytime soon. Russia isn't too big a threat though I think, thier technology isn't as advanced as USA's, atleast thats what I've gatherd from watching tons of military shows (i love war technology). USA has obviously superior jets, superior tanks, and perhaps I'm prejudced but superior training too. Russia my try though to prove their not incompetent, but I think wil fail.. China would probably be the main threat for USA, but then again, their army has very little war experience, and if anyone remembers the Korean war, USA owned them despite having significantly smaller numbers.

Level 4
Yeah war isn't 'inevitable', since there's always other ways to resolve conflicts, such as debates, threats, or whatever way you can think of. But its really not realistic. Humans will do whatever they can to satisfy thier desires if they think its possible, unless of course they have desires that conflict.

Level 26
Conflict is impossible to be free of, but what about war?
If nobody has sufficient power to prevail over multitudes of other people, then how would war start?
Rebellion, eventual collaboration, etc. Notice how when humanity started, it was an anarchy that eventually evolved into the factions we are today. Unless led by beings of perfect intelligence (ie. Gods that actually take the time to become the benevolent dictator they're seen as), people will collaborate to bring more power to themselves, and nothing could possibly stop that. People who share the same ideas will always clump together, and people with opposing ideas will always form the conflicts. Anarchy will always be chaos.

Level 26
But even if they clump together, they can't do anything, because imbalance in power can't happen.

Maybe the problem is finding a way to prevent power imbalance.
But would always be so many people with opposing ideas, whether it's "I want the bread, but he has it", or "Your view on God is wrong". Anarchy is impossible, because no one is willing to collaborate with other people that own an opposing idea. People won't just group up and fight a rebellion; some people might even join it, and some people might be encouraged to start their own.

Level 18
But would always be so many people with opposing ideas, whether it's "I want the bread, but he has it", or "Your view on God is wrong". Anarchy is impossible, because no one is willing to collaborate with other people that own an opposing idea. People won't just group up and fight a rebellion; some people might even join it, and some people might be encouraged to start their own.

I reccomend you read "The Dispossessed" by Ursula Le Guin.

-*meow*

Level 34
I doubt there will be any wars versus Russia or America but it is possible. Just check the Cold War, it almost happend in there! And check the new World In Conflict game, it did happend there! But I predict there will be a war around the end of the 21st century, with lasers, phasers and robots. Oh and speaking about robots that is a possibility too, just check out the Terminator movies, America fucked the world up by connecting us all, so the robots launched ALL nukes in the world, blowing up all towns and getting a dusty and destroyed planet at the end. No man, I rather just stay in my bunker deep below the grounds or I will go in space, screw you people, I'm going to that new Earth-lookalike planet 20,5 lightyears far.

Level 12
So long we never actually get a real War & countries like US, Russia, China etc. are constantly competing for superior technology this just comes out as a good thing.

One day we may need that super bomb vs some Alien Lifeforms :p

Level 35
A quick synopsis of why Russia is at present not a threat.

Russia is a shadow of its former self. When the Soviet Union fell it lost a large chunck of its inhabited territory in Eastern Europe. And with the territory went the population. And not too mention that after the collapse Russia experienced a major depression and the loss of its military power.

Russia cannot project power around the globe. It simply cant afford to financially. Neither does it have the capability militarily to do so. The Russian army is just not the red army anymore.

And nuclear weapons war is not possible. They are just too powerful and too dangerous to use. In a nuclear war no one would win and everyone knows this.

The only ones who would even consider using them, are terrorist groups/nations. And they do not have them.

And this goes for China and North Korea as well. They cannot project power around the globe. They are simply not capable of doing so.

Level 40
You're confusing World Leaders with sane people.

It's not always the case.

Vietnam was pointless, last time I checked the Americans went in there.

And China's pretty rich. Also, Hakeem, your solution is one of those things that looks pretty in writing but isn't logical; you can't just get everyone to drop their weapons, hold hands, and promise to never let go.

Level 35
You're confusing World Leaders with sane people.

It's not always the case.

Vietnam was pointless, last time I checked the Americans went in there.

And China's pretty rich.

Is this post directed at me or Hakeem?

And China is not as rich as you think. The coastal part of China is rich. But the majority of China is in a state of utter poverty. And the amount of money China does have (around the same GDP as Germany) is spread to not a few million. But a few Billion...ish.

And Purplepoot is right Hakeem. World peace is not possible through simply going hippie and dropping weapons and holding hands. Inorder to make war less likley you must interlink the enomomies and securities of Countries together in a less anarchic global system.

Level 27
Also, Hakeem, your solution is one of those things that looks pretty in writing but isn't logical; you can't just get everyone to drop their weapons, hold hands, and promise to never let go.
That's no what I'm saying. I'm saying that even people with weapons wouldn't be able to affect the world to go to war, because they can't imbalance power enough.

Level 18
And China is not as rich as you think. The coastal part of China is rich. But the majority of China is in a state of utter poverty. And the amount of money China does have (around the same GDP as Germany) is spread to not a few million. But a few Billion...ish.

China really isn't that poor. There's beggars and stuff, but the government is fucking rolling in money. Trust me, I bloody went there.

-*meow*

Level 25
USA and Asia have the best technology last time I checked. And then Germany is the runner up I think... not sure.

But USA has a shit load more money and a lot better economy growth/income than most countries do.

The US Military (Soldier-wise) is good, but easily is outnumbered by Asian troops. Maybe Russian troops as well. But yeah, they do get tough training in many aspects such as Martial Arts, Survival Skills, Weaponry Skills, Tactics and Strategy skills, and pretty much the rest is other basic stuff you need to know when in the army and in combat.

Tanks, Jets, Bombs, Weapons, and even Melee weapons are pretty badass in US Army. I hear that Russia's military stuff like Jets and Tanks and I think weapons all together are easily beaten by USA's.

I don't know any reasons why Russia would want to try another attack on USA. But anything is possible. Korea has a reason to attack USA on the other hand :p
I think China attacking USA is kind of dumb especially vice versa, since they make like 75% of all the stuff in USA lol
~Craka_J

Level 26
Those people would go to jail before it gets very far at all.
What makes you think there are so many people that care more about the better good than themselves? What makes you think there are so many people that can even see the better good, or have a common view upon what it is?

Level 26
Okay, yeah, sure, half, but how many people would actually vote to go to war in another country?
Do people go to war for the sake of going to war? Last I checked, no. They go to war for various reasons. Say it eventually comes to half the country being Christian and half the country being Muslim, and you could cut the tension between them with a chainsaw. Would that be a scenario where people would actually vote to go to war?

Level 40
It's a snowball effect/the mob effect, Hakeem. As I said, more and more people get involved in a little conflict, and soon enough it becomes a civil war/global war. Wars are more often than not not voted on.

Also, if those people were chased by the law enforcers, A) the law enforcers have more power and B) they're drawing those people in, and C) they'll obviously try to stay out of jail.

Not like it's really possible to get an equilibrium of power in the first place...

Level 35
Russia lost its teeth in the 80s. And it is even becoming a possible member of NATO!!! (thats shocking as well) It atleast is acting in the Partnership for Peace program.

But China has a long way to go before it can project military power outside its own borders. Our children will be dead by the time that occurs. Even at this rate of China's growth.

And the Joe killed Bob concept is the way war often begins. But Hakeem there is no law enforcement officer in global politics. Global politics is still an anarchic political system.

But back on China. You visited the coast (mostly) and tourist fed areas near the coastal region. Xi'an is a booming city and is a major industrial center within central China. But the majority of central China is in a state of poverty that is very very bad.

Level 34
You can think that China is a rotten turkey stuffed with dirty immigrants. And America is a big fat American burger with mayonaise, ketchup, mustard and uh chocolate and more coloured stuff on it and low grade meat. Europe is a classy beef then. :)

Level 40
I went to a fairly small town in nowhere, China. It was pretty nice, the people were fairly poor but not as bad as everyone seems to think.

It was kinda weird that they had school from about 7:00 am to lunch (12:00 pm), a 1 hr break, start again at 1:00 pm, go till 6:00 pm, 2 hr break for dinner, go back at 8:00 pm and stay till 10:00 pm, often.

And they went Saturdays too, till lunch.

And if you wanted any extra courses, you had to go on Sunday.

Level 35
My teacher said to me something very intelligent and true one day.

"Your parents used to say, Eat your dinner, some starving kid in India would love to have that. Now it is, Do your homwork, Some kid in India is hungry for your job!"

I suppose that has nothing to do with the debate at hand. But it does somehow.

Level 36
Indeed, indeed.

And Russia is not a threat IMO. It has no reason to go to war. Russia isn't bigger than the US, we know that, and they know that, so they wouldn't try to take the good old US of A with a lame excuse like natural resources (Unlike a certain US of A and a country that begins with I and ends with Raq). Since Communism no longer rules over Russia (Both a good thing and a bad thing), they have no reaosn to fight. The only reason the Cold War ever came about was because the US and Russia were having a dangerous pissing competition over which political philosophy was better, Capitalism, as supported in the US, or Communism, as supported by the Soviets.

Now, they don't even have THAT to bicker over, as the Russians have adopted a sort of pseudo-Deomcracy.

China on the other hand... they have the man power and the international status, and since the UN has no say in what they do, they're really open for business to do what they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.