1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Did I wake up in Russia?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ender, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ender

Ender

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2 days ago, after I woke up I was looking at NBC news, my first thought was I must have gotten up in the wrong country.
    At first I thought it was authorizing kill strikes against any US citizen who appeared to be a "imminent threat" to the USA. (the NBC article isn't very clear on this point) after reading this artical I found out that what it actually says, is US citizens which are thought to be al qaeda operatives and are living abroad.
    What is interesting in this article is the way imminent threat is defined

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Most of us are not from the USA. You are probably being more worried about it than you should. The government will not use it on you unless you do something threatening (which most people never will).

3. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What you have against Russia???

4. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First selected individuals are taken out. Then whole reeducational camps and special homes are established where suspicious black smoke exits trough the chimneys.

5. Strikest

Strikest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I recommend the movie Rendition. It shows you what our government is really capable of doing to you...

6. Ender

Ender

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Super Good, actually this effects other countries too, if you had read the article you would have noticed the part where the DoJ claims the USA has the right to capture or kill US nationals in other countries (even if said country refuses to cooperate with the US) Basically it is says the US can ignore extradition laws of other countries, it's also a really good way to get other countries mad at the USA.

@Mechanical Man, if you are Russian I apologize. Russia is just kind of famous for its internment camps, and government tyranny;)

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Only if they are USA citizens. Do you know how hard it is to become a USA citizen?

If they did this to someone who is not a USA citizen in a reasonable country then there would be a lot of problems.

8. Ender

Ender

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Dr. Super Good, did you read the post? I will reiterate if say a country is harboring an al qeada terrorist who is a citizen of the US. The US claims it can, if said country refuses to extradite them, kill or capture that citizen. Basically ignoring that countries rights etc.. Of course doing so would cause an international incident, but, in the document in the early post it claims the US can (regardless of how said country feels about it)

offtopic
    its not that hard, you just have to live here for five years, have some knowledge on US history, Know who your senators are, know how the US government is organized, know the bill of rights oh and be of a good moral character.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    And that is something easy to do? It is not like a person can just fly into the USA, buy a house and live there.

Nothing stops the citizen renouncing their USA citizenship before becomming a threat to the USA and thus rendering such action impossible (as the person is not a citizen anymore).

10. Zakamutt

Zakamutt

Resources:
    Resources:
    It is very hard to get a green card (or what it's called..) to work in the US. No, I can't be arsed to source this, but I vividly remember a long blog post with a story about fuckloads of questioning, lots of different costs in general for required services and so on which was for a guy who was trying to join his significant other in the US (or travel there with her as she already was a citizen) apparently.

As for the whole thing, all it really tells us is that the US has a new assassination method. They're just being more open about it in general (still, the document was a leak..).

I wonder what pressures presidents are under when it comes to these things - both previous like W (maybe he's less to blame than you'd think, though I herd (probably from Michael Moore in one of his books, take that as you will) that the Patriot Act was sneaked past most of Congress by less-than-pretty tactics) and Obama are under. It can hardly be a good PR move to do these things. I think this might be an opportunity to find out these things, though who knows if people doing so won't get hit by drones themselves (on the other hand, that would make the US as bad as current-day Russia, and wide-spread unrest is not good).