• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is maps with 5+ MB filesize bad for download count?

How would you react to a HeroDefense map with over 5MB filesize?

• I don't care about filesize, more is better. It only takes seconds anyway.

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • I would check the description first.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I don't like it, HeroDefense maps should simply not be that HUGE, amg!1

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello!

As Im working on my new project, Defense of the World Pillar, I add more and more awesome models from hiveworkshop every day. But with some more interesting models/skin and the upcoming Deathwing model I think my map will be over 5MB, maybe even 6MB.

Is this too much for someone, or does anyone care really? 5MB with todays download rates isn't much. Or will some people skip download and testing my map since its too big? Me personally, get more interested if the map has more than average filesize. Will it have problems eventually on Battle.net?

Last edited:
Level 6
Well I'm kinda anticipating how this comes out since I've made the same mistake with my multiplayer map :D. I've placed custom walkable walls, replaced some of the hero models, replaced some of the envirromental doodads like rocks, trees, downloaded models for the city/ instances introduced alpha tiles, reflections etc. and currently its around 7 megs(it's still gonna be over 5 megs if I cut back on all unnecessary models and icons), so i began to question myself about the performance and I came out with an assumption, wc3 came out in 2002 now its 9 years past it's release date hence there was helluva upgrade in hardware and transfer (hell I myself can run crysis at medium details and I haven't upgraded my comp in like 3 years at least). I for my self don't care about the size as long as it's playable but I'd check the description out of couriousity.

Honestly people will leave game! You must have few slots already taken (other players) or really good advertisement to lure new players.
Maps like footman wars are usually shit but as well usually full and hosted because players download map in few sec.
For start don't go above 2 MB with loading screen and map preview within it! (try not to use high textures from start).
Remove all music files.
Use only few custom resources (up to 0.5 MB for terrain and another 1 MB for anything else).
With cool terrain and few unique systems any map can look badass. When you see map hosted by other players as well start upgrading it with more and more resources.

Point is: Map don't need to have 1000+ custom imported resources to look awesome or be fun for play.

Last edited:
Level 14
It depends on the gameplay. If the custom models are dragging the frame rates then people will likely leave. The players who leave if the map isn't downloaded within 3 nanseconds usually aren't the type of players that you want to play with anyway, so don't worry about it.

Keep in mind that in regards to appealing visually to players, less is better. For mass units you can keep simple units. Only use fancy/detailed units for unique/hero units.

//\\oo//\\

Level 11
Personally, I never read the description. I normally ask the host what the game is about. After deciding whether or not I like the sound of the map, I will stay or not. If it is a long load, I will go get some food, go outside, spend my time away from the computer basically for a bit until downloading time is complete. So personally, I'd say go for it!
Remember though, you can optimize your map using tools, reducing the map filesize. But be careful with tools (always save another copy somewhere) since they can mess up your map.

The most downloaded map in this month is a campaign that is 110 mb so I don't see a problem.
hahaha you're talking about your map:D...it is no longer the most downloaded map this month D: and by 7 downloads :p.

on-topic: I haven't ever liked puting my maps file size high(infact there very low) so I dont have to make people wait to dl it and that will attract more which makes me the "jeneous :D"

Level 40
It depends on the gameplay. If the custom models are dragging the frame rates then people will likely leave. The players who leave if the map isn't downloaded within 3 nanseconds usually aren't the type of players that you want to play with anyway, so don't worry about it.

Keep in mind that in regards to appealing visually to players, less is better. For mass units you can keep simple units. Only use fancy/detailed units for unique/hero units.

//\\oo//\\
You're oversimplifying the problem. I consider myself a patient person, and I usually leave from those maps because given the normal joiners/leavers plus the people who leave after a bit when they realize how long it will take to download the map it can often take 15+ minutes to get a game started in a large file size map, which is just absurd and not worth the time.

The most downloaded map in this month is a campaign that is 110 mb so I don't see a problem.
It's campaign, singleplayer only, and I checked map, 1 MB model is fail if you ask me >.>

Once again, new (unknown to people on battlenet, garena etc) multiplayer map shouldn't be over 2 MB.

Level 6
Well doesn't it also depends on the host, if I have an upload rate of 300 kbps its a decent speed, and ppl shouldn't wait too long for a 5 mb map to download - for a 10 slot game it would take little over 2 minutes.

Level 40
Well doesn't it also depends on the host, if I have an upload rate of 300 kbps its a decent speed, and ppl shouldn't wait too long for a 5 mb map to download - for a 10 slot game it would take little over 2 minutes.
Yeah but most hosts upload slow so no dice. If you don't mind the game only being playable when a few people host it, then by all means make it 5mb, but there's really no reason to and it will severely restrict the appeal.

Level 14
You're oversimplifying the problem. I consider myself a patient person, and I usually leave from those maps because given the normal joiners/leavers plus the people who leave after a bit when they realize how long it will take to download the map it can often take 15+ minutes to get a game started in a large file size map, which is just absurd and not worth the time.

I see where you're coming from, but I usually play games like Castlebuilder or other altered melees which can easily be 4-5 hours long. Most players won't/can't stay past 30 min. As such, they tend to whine alot or BS before they finally leave. I avoid games like DOTA (mostly since I could never join a game) and other fairly quick games, in where I assume what you're refering to is more common.

//\\oo//\\

Level 26
my question is not how big the map is, but much rather how it is used. Those models, textures and icons should be used wisely and not just bombed into the map, just because they look great. I honestly do prefer the gameplay more.
But if your map got both, nice gameplay and great visualisation of it, people might play your map regulary even with huge file size.

Exploiting human nature is the solution!
Humans love to win. That's going to be your TRAP. (in a picture ofcourse :p)
You should show them what they're missing :D

I've tried this same concept on some other "stuff" to get people to like something,
and it worked everytime :D

Basicly, you should give players a screenie that defines "Winning" :D

Last edited:
Level 17
Well for me it would purely be based on the features the game has and the heroes (and all that fun stuff!)
If it's unique and more fun to play than most ones out there, people "may" play it - but I would also say it's "recommended" to optimize your map as much as possible before releasing it so it runs more smoothly.

Level 24
I don't care about filesize, more is better. It only takes seconds anyway.
This option should have been split.

I do not care about file size, but I do not think more is better. The less one uses to do something the better.
:vw_wtf:

First you don't care about file size, but you think more is better, so you do in fact care about file size. Then you don't care about file size and don't think more is better.

Care to explain for a curious man?

The thing is that you should keep the file size to a bare minimum and don't try to increase it to make you look smarter/cooler as it will make you look like a complete idiot. Seriously you only use imports for multi player if absolutely needed and games with a different sort of game theme like a Nintendo character theme is when you need it as an an example of coarse.
Just bottom line Use your imports wisely and try to look smart (not like a noob mapper would do).

@ Frotty: Thats strange it's sort off the same thing with me:)

Level 22
Last time GHost bots had pretty heavy upload speed. But it also depends on the downloaders download speed as well - shitty download speed vs. high upload = shitty download.

Just host your maps with "Makemehost.com" and it will be all fine. But I'd followed Kobas recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.