• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is anyone else over the FPS genre? They are almost dead to me now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Ok well mainly this gen and last FPS's have become the biggest and populest genre, and well is anyone else totally over them and just sick of them? Though I only own 3 next gen FPS... I still have a good opinion on them. Here are some of the reasons i'm over them.

They get boring faster than nearly every other genre and one full priced FPS can't keep me busy for long enough.

Getting a bit tired of the gun infront of you and the run, shoot, aim, sprint, jump... just gets boring after a while (more detail later on)

They don't bring enough new to the table, every FPS is too similar in a way, and some even copy each other.

Starting to prefer third persons, as they generally have more actions and stuff. E.g you can roll, cover, sneak around, have more view, be able to hide better etc...

They never have good story lines.. well most of the time, halo is the only one with a decent story that I call recall right now.

I will add more when I think of more.

Right now I have 3, unreal tournament 3 (my fav), resistance 2 (my 2nd fav), and killzone 2.

Unreal tournament is extremely fun, amazing gameplay, lasted fairly long but not long enough and can get boring fast.

Resistance 2 lasted me ages, though the gameplay wasn't epic, but it had a decent single player, awesome co-op and competetive, it lasted me weeks.

Killzone 2, it had amazing gameplay and awesome weapons, it had a short and boring single player, and online got boring fast, this game didn't last long at all even though it had awesome gameplay.

Third person shooters and even any other genre always seem to last me the longest, they usually have the best story and I now prefer their gameplay.

So does anyone else think the FPS genre is dying to them, because i'm a bit sick of them.

Also, don't ask me have I tried cod4 yet, I had it on PC and returned it because it was just horribly boring.

Level 21
Haven't played any FPS for over a year. To know that I was a die hard FPS fan 5 years ago...

Maybe I'm just getting old, but there are only very few games that please me these days... Partly because graphically they look less good than old-school games, ironically. On a high end pc they look awesome, but my graphics card isn't good enough so I've got to turn down the settings, and then I end up with a game that looks like shit compared to old games.

On the area of gameplay, FPS have none. But not much has changed here since the very beginning of shooters. Shooters have never had any gameplay to begin with. Now and then some new modes added some variety, for about 5 minutes...

I miss the good old times...

Level 34
Heh, I'll play Halo 3's expansion and Modern Warfare 2, if only because they'll be insanely good. But other than that, yeah, I'm pretty sick of games with guns/grenades/explosions.
I get sick of the FPS part of FPS, but never the explosions. At least not good ones. Just finished Crysis for the first time. I could watch shacks blow up for days.

And as I have been saying for years, someone needs to step up and make another AvP. You get some FPS, and some rad FPM (M being melee).

Level 5
Lol will thanks for pointing out grenades, I hate all games with grenades, they are so cheap and just boring.

Explosions are good though, one of the best parts about KZ2.

Also will did you like crysis? I found it boring and returned it. Nano suit pissing me off, and takes a full clip to kill someone, and the ai is crap. That's my opinion of it.

Also what is an AvP?

Level 34
The suit in Crysis is what kept me playing! That thing was sweet. Use speed to rush someone, then switch to strength and send them flying, or grab them and pound on their face! The full clip thing was probably due to you hitting their armor, I never had a problem since I'd usually hit them in the head after a spray or two. The AI was actually pretty damn good imo.

Alien versus Predator. There were some really good ones made in the late 90's I think.

Level 34
The suit in Crysis is what kept me playing! That thing was sweet. Use speed to rush someone, then switch to strength and send them flying, or grab them and pound on their face! The full clip thing was probably due to you hitting their armor, I never had a problem since I'd usually hit them in the head after a spray or two. The AI was actually pretty damn good imo.

Alien versus Predator. There were some really good ones made in the late 90's I think.

But the damage indicator (red flashes on your screen) never pointed at which direction an enemy was, heh.

Level 13
I still like FPS, but I kinda do not agree with some of the changes that have been done to this genre. For example the removal of a health bar from some games just confuses me, I see absolutely no reason in that. Also regenerating health is usually boring and makes the games easy.

Also Just_Spectating, IMO FPS require as much skill as any other genre.

Level 35
It's hard to be original nowadays. FPS is the only genre I'm not sick of, while most RTS games (especially the ones from EA) bore me to death. All that gather, build, train, fight routine is so damn overrated. I think SC2 will be the last RTS of this kind I'll ever play.

Level 34
He didn't say 'play', he said 'learn to'. He was pointing out that he thinks (and I agree) that SC is a far more skill driven game, than any FPS out there.

Level 24

crysis=<3

Level 15
He didn't say 'play', he said 'learn to'. He was pointing out that he thinks (and I agree) that SC is a far more skill driven game, than any FPS out there.

Let me be the first to say that both of you are 100% wrong. To play Starcraft, you just need to memorize building strategies and rush like hell. Did you ever watch a professional gamer play Quake 3 Arena? I've got a video to show you how INSANE one such professional is. You can find the video here.

And for the record, I've been fragging since I was 6 or 7 (around the time Unreal Tournament 99' came out), and I'm STILL fragging, and I'm STILL getting headshots! It's like BOOM headshot... BOOM headshot... BOOM HEADSHOT!

Level 14
Let me be the first to say that both of you are 100% wrong. To play Starcraft, you just need to memorize building strategies and rush like hell. Did you ever watch a professional gamer play Quake 3 Arena? I've got a video to show you how INSANE one such professional is. You can find the video here.

Have you ever watched a professional SC match? No, because if you had, you wouldn't have said that.

Level 34
Yeah yeah, I've seen fatality play. He's sick.

Perhaps RTS is not more skill driven, but it's more challenging, and takes more effort. FPS is mostly hand eye reflex.

Last edited:
Level 5
Most FPS don't seem to need too much skill imo. Like cod4, it is whoever has the best aim wins.. boring! I'd say strategy takes more skill. Though quake and unreal tournament generally take a lot. I think some third person shooters take more skill (socom for example).

And omg MAG is an fps, guess that will be the last fps I buy this gen.

Level 6
I think point and click adventure games take the most skill.

On-topic: I'm over FPS, been for a long time, I've never found them appealing at all to be honest, with the exception of the Halo series. I'd rather have a game where you need to use your brain a little, and your skill isn't defined by how many hours you spent perfecting your aim so you get the first headshot.

Level 15
By the way, my cousin just gave me his 360+Halo 3+Gears of War+Guitar Hero III+Grand Theft Auto IV, which can only add up to: insane buttsecks. Yeah, Halo 3 is fun.

Level 11
I think point and click adventure games take the most skill.

On-topic: I'm over FPS, been for a long time, I've never found them appealing at all to be honest, with the exception of the Halo series. I'd rather have a game where you need to use your brain a little, and your skill isn't defined by how many hours you spent perfecting your aim so you get the first headshot.

Well its similar in real life, more experienced solder will have better results in range combat.

And i started to play FPS again, havent played them for years xD, now i got CSS, Doom3 and FEAR2, gonna dl more.

Level 4
The FPS genre is far to broad to completely dismiss from your game collection. From what I have read the type of FPS gaming you are bored with is what I call "Pub". Basically shoot&frag gameplay (Counterstrike, DoD, Halo III, etc..) Maybe you should try more team based/tactical shooter games. Because if anything requires skill, I will put my vote in attempting to get a cluster of online gamers trying to work together while wielding guns.

Level 15
Counterstrike is definitely a team-game, hands down. It's not the same caliber of say Team Fortress 2 (or any other class-based shooter), but you definitely need to have a team behind you in order to win a round.

Level 15
Team Fortress 2, any of the Battlefield games, and class-based shooters in general. Counterstrike is also a good team-based game, but it IS possible to go Rambo.

Status
Not open for further replies.