• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introducing: Hive Heroes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
That's still 127,75USD for the site a year, and 365USD out of my pocket a year.

I mean, sure, it's a small income, but for us living in developing countries it would be like spending 25USD every month.

I just realized it's a monthly subscription. I feel dumb.

Edit: Question, how do we go about unsubcribing, is it a complicated matter?
You have a "Cancel" button, it will cancel the subscription but you will keep the perks until the time runs out on your previous payment. afaik

Am I seeing this correctly that not getting ads isn't even one of the perks
Hmm, seems on my phone there is indeed some ad at the bottom offering to make me less fat even when I log in.

Maybe it's just assumed that everyone using the internet would use adblock, though? Honestly like admitting I never bothered to figure that out on my phone is probably a security risk for me. Aren't most ads like a picture of the download button whenever you go to a site like Hive with downloads? That way you can't tell which download button is real so you end up clicking the "ad".

I just kind of assume "ad" refers to the financially unavoidable security vulnerabilities of our world. And the way to use the internet is to program your device to avoid them entirely, for security.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Why dont make a sub category on resources, so patrons could get exclusive info about some on going proyects, before they get released?
I feel like that's what creators can use other platforms like Patreon for rather than Hive itself.
Otherwise the creators would require a reason to make use of such a sub category in the first place.

Level 17
I feel like that's what creators can use other platforms like Patreon for rather than Hive itself.
Otherwise the creators would require a reason to make use of such a sub category in the first place.
They could get more exp from patrons this way, i'm not saying they should post resources, just info, pictures and so. Also people post here for a reason, for love to this comunity, otherwise they could go to Patreon as you say.

Nevermind, just an idea that could be fixed.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Am I seeing this correctly that not getting ads isn't even one of the perks that you get from this "system", which is supposed to replace ads?
Good point. I should hide ads for heroes.

I was hoping to see the numbers grow a little more and then just get rid of the ads altogether though. I'd love to not run third party garbage code from ad companies on my site.

I might have just seen the light of Heroes. I realized that the hero subscription cost is almost the same cost as buying Warcraft III every month.

Any chance Ralle could make us a new RTS game on par with War3 and offer the heroes a digital download of each month's new RTS game at the same time as when the Hive Heroes cost is charged?

Level 12
I might have just seen the light of Heroes. I realized that the hero subscription cost is almost the same cost as buying Warcraft III every month.

Any chance Ralle could make us a new RTS game on par with War3 and offer the heroes a digital download of each month's new RTS game at the same time as when the Hive Heroes cost is charged?
Can't wait for "Warcraft IV: Community Edition" by Ralle, Engine by Retera, assets by community members.

by Ralle, Engine by Retera, assets by community members.
i think we could have done it if we started a few years back, but now because of the social dilemma stuff (if you've seen "The Social Dilemma" movie for example) it's probably too late

But I mean, I guess I am kind of already trying, in a certain kind of way. Sometimes, at least.

Level 9
(...)Any chance Ralle could make us a new RTS game on par with War3 and offer the heroes a digital download of each month's new RTS game at the same time as when the Hive Heroes cost is charged?

Can't wait for "Warcraft IV: Community Edition" by Ralle, Engine by Retera, assets by community members.
Infused with Quenching Mod. That would be high beyond amazing. But instead making new game and calling it "Warcraft IV: Community Edition", maybe fan expansion would be better? YES, FAN EXPANSION IS POSSIBLE! I know, cause there is fan expansion for another RTS "Command & Conquer: Generals". There is one official expansion called "Zero Hour" and fan made which is called "ShockWave", made by SWR Productions. It's actually modified "Zero Hour" but in a way, that doesn't affect previously installed "Zero Hour". In other words you can play original "Zero Hour" after installing "ShockWave". I can't guarantee, that the crew is still active or if they are into Warcraft, but you can try contact the Staff (or rather three members of the Staff, cause other four have their e-mails hidden) and ask for cooperation or at least some help.
It took them some time to make it cause they are only seven people, but if they would lend any help by any chance, then I think fan expansion for Warcraft would be made much quicker, given the community gathered here. 🙂
Also Retera, DaneTheBeast, thank you for your posts, cause they are good reason for me to reply here instead of making new topic, which would most likely drown among numbers of others.

Last edited:
fan expansion for Warcraft would be made much quicker, given the community gathered here
I mean, it depends on what you want. If you're using patch 126, then the Nirvana client (at least the english translation that I got a copy of years ago) was pretty similar to what you are describing already. There was a third EXE along with "Warcraft III.exe" for Reign of Chaos and "Frozen Throne.exe". The new one was called "Nirvana.exe" and launched a new menu with a new custom background and in multiplayer there were additional races available for any melee match (Naga, Blood Elf, Ice Trolls, and maybe another race in some versions). In that sense, it's already been done.

So, what do you want? Maybe that's really the question.

Level 9
I mean, it depends on what you want. If you're using patch 126, then the Nirvana client (at least the english translation that I got a copy of years ago) was pretty similar to what you are describing already. There was a third EXE along with "Warcraft III.exe" for Reign of Chaos and "Frozen Throne.exe". The new one was called "Nirvana.exe" and launched a new menu with a new custom background and in multiplayer there were additional races available for any melee match (Naga, Blood Elf, Ice Trolls, and maybe another race in some versions). In that sense, it's already been done.

So, what do you want? Maybe that's really the question.
Yeah, I would want few new things. However I don't want to write it here, cause this topic could go sideways since I'm not the only one who wants to see new stuff. I'm only speaking about fan expansion in general, so bigger players here like yourself could eventually catch the idea and start separate topic, cause like I said if I would do that, my topic would most likely drown among numbers of others.

Last edited:
Level 16
Now that the chatter had cooled down, I wanted to say thank you for keeping this site running. I joined back in 2004!
Before most even knew about the war3 maps site existed. (Probably before most of you knew about war3)

I’ve donated $100 last year just because…
I’ve been able to use this site to bond with my boys growing up watching me play Warcraft 3.
Now they are old enough to create their own maps (and they are getting pretty good at it)

I jumped on the band wagon here, but only after the band wagon left.

I don’t care about shiny backgrounds, boosted exp bonuses, and I defiantly would stand against pay-walls after this site does so much to keep alive what we all live to play.

I still use 1.27b patch to play with my kids, make maps…. I use a higher patch pre-RE-FORGED because I just don’t like the missing features Blizzards took out cuz it was rushed and then all the staff was gone.

In the end, @Ralle … thank you for picking up where Darky left off.

Live your life, the fact you even considered making a full work day for HIVE (based on income from the site) is way more then we deserve.

Thank you.

(Meanwhile: yeah Human icons!!!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.