• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Insanity Attack (Con't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Map Download:
Insanity Attack Map

Changelogs:

Code:
v3.2a
- Added a Bulk Buying system for Military Units and Trinket Boutique only.
- Fixed a misplaced icon positioning for Critical Necklace.

v3.2b
- Updated from v3.1 to add missing key features.
- This map is still for testing purposes for v3.3.
- Decreased Faye's buff of damage increase to Chen.
- Chen's attack speed decreased.
- Decreased Jamaja's splash damage over structures.
- Decreased armor and health regeneration of Jamaja.
- Bounce attacks will not hit the same enemy anymore.
- Bounce radius increased.
- Helicopter Multishot range increased.
- Houses are now faster to build and repair.
- Better Houses now give 5 food, and is now faster to build and repair.
- Vacant Lots and their upgrades now produce 3 food.
- Vacant Lots now have a limit of 15.
- Jamaja's Tentacle spawn rate increased.
- Fixed Tentacles AI and beefed them up.
- All items balanced.
- Added -find functions. Check Logs for instructions.
- Improved dependency equivalence.
- Disabled -give command... for now.
- Charger has now a limit of 4.

v3.3
- New official and stable release of the map!
- Fixed multiple Manager creation bug.
- Power Build of Assistant Builder is now instant, and cooldown is reduced.
- Fixed misplaced icon of Lighting the Beacon.
- Reverted Chen's attack speed from the nerf hammer.
- Slightly increased Chen's evasion. She's too easy now even with Champion buffs.
- Heavily refactored enemy AI.
- Improved some of the unique abilities of enemies.
- Nothing would spawn anymore after winning the game.
- Slightly nerfed Tentacles.
- Slightly beefed Jamaja from the nerf hammer last version.
- Slightly increased Tentacle Spawn rate.
- Fixed the PvP system from giving projectile vision.
- Fixed Cold Tower model problems.
- Added Helper Towers.
- Buildable Cold Towers removed.
- Reassigned techtree requirements, shortcuts and button positoin of structures.
- Refactored the structures that can be built to fix a dependency equivalence bug.
- Modified Point Values for Triggering and as well as Score Board Calculation.
- Gate does not reposition anymore and is not allowed to be opened if there is a unit in it's pathing.
- Improved Imbued Splash Tower and Tank splash range.
- Fixed Locomotive's attack type.
- Fixed attack animation v.s. projectile launch of Tank and Locomotive.
- Changed and swapped a few projectile arts for relevance.
- Added exploding death effects to all units.
- Increased slow duration of Bolt Discharger.
- Fixed Witch's stats and cost.
- Increased aquisition range of all allied units.
- Main Builder Power Build now only sets the construction progress to 99%.
- Charger Repair icons now have a proper autocast button art.
- Barriers now have a limit of 5.
- Removed Test Mode completely.
- Accordingly colored tooltips for readability.

v4.0
- Major stability update of the map.
- Map player size has decreased to 7 from 10.
- Insanes now have 5 color identifiers.
- Choppy movements severely reduced.
- Pests now belong to Brown Insanes only.
- Quitter's Chargers won't get destroyed anymore.
- Slightly buffed Chen in stats and abilities.
- Fixed a fatal bug in stopping enemy stat improvement over time.
- Refactored Spawn limit.

v4.0a
- Fixed a buggy remnant of the fatal bug said from the previous version.
- Fixed a few tooltips as well.

v4.0b
- Patch fix for versions v4.0 and v4.0a.
- Fixed the fatal bug problems of v4.0 and v4.0a. Problems still persisted even when the said fix was done.
- Fixed more tooltip errors. Minor details only, though.

v4.1
- Balance changes of the map.
- Strengthened Towers.
- Greatly improved Military Unit stats.
- Removed game end time.
- Treated projectile vision alliance bug a feature... for now. Just added a few lines to remove vision of unused player slots.

The old thread was closed so I created a new one.
Link to old thread: Insanity Attack Thread (old)
Check out the link for details.

TO DO LIST
1. Reduce Player count to 7~8. [ 100% ]
2. Reduce movement pathing problems and 'choppy' movements. [ 100% ]
3. Recode everything that needs to be highly refactored to a more efficient process. [ 0% ]
4. Implement skill-based difficulty. [ 0% ]
Based on the Future Releases section of the map.

----------

[old post]
So, I'm planning to update the map to v3.2 (v3.2a first for bug testing for the new implementation).

Here are the things I have in my mind.

1. It is really tiring to buy items for each unit you have from shops.
I am going to implement (again) a bulk buying system so that the items will be distributed to all units within the AoE range of the shop, and calculate the right cost.

2. The map is generating so many units especially at late game. To reduce this lag, I am planning to use a Unit Recycling system. Anyone knows a good system that exists already?

Last edited:
Level 19
For example you save a unique value so when your unit dies (which can be detected in a Unit Event System) then after that you could revive the unit again.

Note: I haven't tried doing that before but you could try atleast.

Edit: Flux gave a better solution. Better take that first.

Level 23
Went back and played this after giving a very scathing review last year ago.

- I do like the pace of the combat in this version, that is the move and attack speed of most units. It syncs up with the music disturbingly well.

Biggest issue I have still seems to be the build speed for structures, especially the defensive walls and towers.
Why?
- Because it guarantees that the moment any part of your defence breaks, you pretty much lost there.
- The first few minutes of nothing doesnt need to exist to make up for said slow build speed.

Its rather strange that your economy/tech buildings build faster than your basic defences.

The gist of the map seems to be
Step 1) Build the correct initial defence
Step 2) Win?

If you mess up step 1, you pretty much lose immediately. If you get it correct however, the initial tempo seems to carry you through the game unless you massively screw-up in the later parts.
There is no way to adapt your defence mid-game/ over time.

Other Notes
- Would nice to colour code some of your stat tooltips for readability sake. For example "type: wall" into "type: wall"
- I cant tell if the unit training-cap is working or not, for example: the map continues to prevent training of the basic bandit even if the original 3 die.

Level 9
Currently, I don't think I would implement the Recycler system anymore due to the facts I have learnt. The next update will be item balances and Chen balances (or maybe even Jamaja). Give me time.

^ Will do this. Just a heads up for those who prefer viewing it here.

Biggest issue I have still seems to be the build speed for structures, especially the defensive walls and towers.

That is the chosen gameplay I planned to. The very first version(s) of the map (which isn't listed in the changelogs) had faster tower and wall build speed, while tech buildings build slower. At some point I was already balancing some things, when later in time I tried reversing the build speed: Economy faster, defense slower. My audience that time was surprised and found it 'challenging', and so here I retained that manner. They can be also forced to cooperate with other players, or ask for help with builder skills.

The gist of the map seems to be
Step 1) Build the correct initial defence
Step 2) Win?

If you mess up step 1, you pretty much lose immediately. If you get it correct however, the initial tempo seems to carry you through the game unless you massively screw-up in the later parts.

The mid game and late game elements are a different story. Mid game bosses have a power spike, as well as enemies. In Very Easy or Easy, it can't be 'felt' since power spikes in single players are harsh. I still need to balance a lot of things for this to work out though.

There is no way to adapt your defence mid-game/ over time.
I don't get this? I would take it as:
There is no way to advance properly because of the initial defense made at start.
Camp Expansions are a must, or even build a separate camp.

Would nice to colour code some of your stat tooltips for readability sake.
Will do!

I cant tell if the unit training-cap is working or not, for example: the map continues to prevent training of the basic bandit even if the original 3 die.
The House will become useless after training 3 units, forever. You need to build another one. You can keep the old one for sight range, or food (+1). Believe me: +1 food is important at late game. (lol)

Level 14
I'd say as well that this map needs a major re-balancing as it is too fast and difficult. It is not possible to win in "very easy", if you did not figure out the perfect strategy. That way, it is almost impossible to read anything because you are constantly under pressure. This should be the case in "insane" but not in very easy.

Level 9
I'd say as well that this map needs a major re-balancing as it is too fast and difficult. It is not possible to win in "very easy", if you did not figure out the perfect strategy. That way, it is almost impossible to read anything because you are constantly under pressure. This should be the case in "insane" but not in very easy.

Thank you for pointing that out.

The game itself is meant to be hard(er than the last versions). The earlier versions were boring because the difficulty does not meet the mind activity given the situation at hand in-game.
I wanted the game to be full of activity; things here and there, over and behind, but not too much! If you are starting, it would be a stressful situation. But once you play it over and over, you're going to get the game.
it is recommended to play it with friends, because I don't do much game tests on solo on this current version (v3.2a).

I should do solo tests soon though! And if I did, I would create a mode for single players.

Also, the difficulty scaling is really just for the question of "How many players are there?" I want it to become an option if there were any players who want to be masochistic, then fine. So the game is still hard even on very easy. Maybe I should rename the terms in the dialogue because it can be very misleading.

I don't know what terms to use though...

Level 9
Heads up!

I want to request for a better way on how to open gates and close gates?
It's been a major issue to players recently, and I don't think it's a feature.

When the gate opens, I replace the unit to a no pathing circle, but clickable.
When closing the gate, when there is a unit within the pathing of the gate, the gate forces itself to move away from its original position permanently.

How should I tap into this one?

Level 9
Progress report:

I have updated several elements in the map for v3.2b.
I may just version it to v3.3 because of the several updates.

I also added features and refactored some triggers.
New features are -find commands, which will locate your main worker unit, assistant or hall depending on the command.
-find S
Finds and pans the camera to the position of a certain unit, where S is a value which can be: me (Main Builder), asst (Assistant Builder), hall (Main Hall).

Items are balanced as well and adjusted the right price amount.
All items have the same production speed of 90 seconds, and all have up to 3 units in shop.

And many more... will post changelogs after posting the map. I will need to review more.

Level 9
Update! The map is now v3.2b.

After long time of debugging, I finally found the root cause of the crash that has been bugging me.

Anyways, check the changelogs. I need them checked and evaluated.

I temporarily disabled the -give command because of technically having "free food", or food trolling other players.

Until I found a solution on how it wouldn;t be abused, it would be left in the graveyard. There is a Share Unit system anyway in warcraft iii default.

Level 9
After coloring the tool tips, I guess the map is ready for v3.3.

I have updated so many things that shouldn't have been the mission for v3.3, but it's stil good. Balances and bug fixes. yey!

Requoting as a stamp:
The menu that is showed is a Player-count-based level. Currently, it is selectable.
But the ACTUAL difficulty setting is not defined. Currently, it can only be defined as HARD and it cannot be changed... for now.

Level 9
Map is updated to v3.3!

I have made several changes based on the feedback (Thank you by the way!)
Coloring the tooltips were completely draining me... lol.

Anyway... so far so good. Major changes coming up. This will take a long time.

Level 9
Map updated to v4.0.

Huge change was made. Check the changelogs.

Please report any bugs. Expect it to be buggy at the moment because of the big change i did.

I also rebalanced some bosses for they have become very easy.
I will also implement skill level difficulty next. While I'm at it, report bugs to me. Thanks!

Level 9
Level 9
Okay, so I have done some balance changes on the upcoming v4.1, which is not released yet.

Things that I have balanced:
* Greatly improved Tower damage.
* Greatly improved overall military unit stats.

These were the ones I have thought of balancing. Maybe I'd think of more, so I won't be releasing the latest version yet.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...vision-problem-279260/index2.html#post2832555

Please help me with this one too guys ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.