• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

[Altered Melee] Increasing Spells' Power Beyond Normal Threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello Hive Workshop!
I am in the middle of creating my first map, every time I near completion, a new idea pops up into my head to make the game less like normal WCIII, but rather an improved version so the player still feels like they are playing WCIII and not something else. However this is proving to be very time consuming and delaying my map release for testing (which I am very excited to do). I have already spent a good 3 months on this map and cannot believe how much there is still left to do!

My newest idea (which is taking me a lot of research to do but I know its possible and people over on the World Editor Help Zone like Licheus and Wareditor have given me pointers to make them possible) is to give Hero abilities increased damage based on a certain stat on top of their base damage. I like this idea as it makes tomes and permanent items more enticing, and gives more value to a hero's level up.

In addition, I have a mechanic called "Limit Break". What this does is after a certain number of times the spell is cast, it becomes slightly stronger. (For now there is no limit to how strong). The increase in spell power or other bonuses is not large enough to make the spell vastly over powered but it adds some more "OOMPH" to the spells.

The reason I have these mechanics is that I hated the idea that a level 5 hero does as much damage with a certain spell as a level 10 hero. That never made any sense to me and so I thought I would address that in this 3v3 custom game/altered melee I'm making.

These new mechanics are far from the only things I have in store on this map. But for now they are most pressing to me as I would like to know if it is too much or unessesary, or is it a good idea.

Let me know if you think my idea for these abilities is a nice idea or is it too much. Perhaps any potential problems or exploits as well. I intend to make each game last at least 45 minutes to 1.5 hours as these additional mechanics really shine in the late game as you might imagine.

I should also note that the benefits are increased with each level, so using Arcane Blast as an example:
Level 1 - Every point of intelligence gives 1 bonus damage, every 10 casts increases base damage by 20
Level 2 - Every point of intelligence gives 2 bonus damage, every 10 casts increases base damage by 35
Level 3 - Every point of intelligence gives 3 bonus damage, every 10 casts increases base damage by 50

Lets put that into perspective:
At level 10, Jaina Proudmoore (Arcane Mage) Has 50 base Intellect.
Lets say she casts the spell around 30 times before she hit level 10.
Level 3 Arcane Blast will deal 450 base damage + 150 bonus damage from int + 150 bonus damage from 3 limit breaks. So she will deal a whopping 750 damage per arcane blast, not including benefits from tomes and items!

The exact numbers for all spells will be displayed in the regular spell tooltips. A generic indicator is given in the tooltip - learn pane as you can see in the screen shots.

The damage may seem high but it is only for this spell as the Arcane Mage in my map is a glass cannon type of Hero. As you will see in the screen shots she has 450 hit points and 1 armor at level 1!

Anyway,
Thanks as always, Hive.
P.S. Sorry for the long winded life story essay but I felt that I needed to give a little background.

Here are some screen shots of what the ability tooltips look like:

Last edited:
Level 5
Focus on the hero without controlling unit, and try to make hero as OP as possible.
Oh, well no I don't think so, even if I didn't cap it,
I have a lot of custom items to make the Heros powerful but nothing that will make them
be able to solo another players army, (If they can get one of their stats to 100 they are extremely lucky)
especially the Arcane mage in my map, she has 750 hit points at level 10,
I have a number of custom units for all races, amoungst them are a custom unit type called "massive units" (think SC2). They have anywhere between
1200-1850 hit points each, are magic resistant by default, and hit pretty hard, not to mention a number of custom upgrades for all races, and most standard units have been enhanced. So I don't think that will be a problem. :)

Level 5
Still, you might want to implement diminishing returns on damages or stat-derived boosts just in case.
Hmm, I like the idea of diminishing returns rather than a hard cap for the limit break. The stats won't be a problem since I know they can't get too high
but that idea will definitely be useful for the limit break.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.