• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Importing custom tilesets? Tilesets not showing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So i found these tutorials on how to import custom tilesets and i did what they said but when i go to advance>modify tileset the tiles don't appear.. So here's a screenshot of my import paths; can someone tell me why its not showing or am i missing something? I'm downloaded a ton of tilesets and i want to learn how to import them.

MkJtmj.png

Level 26
You overwrite the texture files that associated with and get placed on the ground when painting Lordaeron Summer Dirt for example. The Advanced -> Modify Tileset menu is just showing you thumbnails that are extra graphics for the editor only and which are not used ingame.

Level 2
Thanks so much, but is this suppose to happen; the texture don't appear in WE but appear in game or is this a graphical glitch?
f1zFUD.png
tHV0DZ.png

Level 26
Creating Custom Tile Sets

This tutorial states that you only need to restart the editor. But cliffs use some special paths. Generally, the loading behavior of the editor might differ. If it does not relay the imports of the maps, you can still use local files, putting the files in the wc3 directory under the same paths as you have in the map (and restart editor). Then it won't be map-specific, of course.

Level 20
Are you sure you put the correct paths?
How is it showing in-game? As black surfaces?
Nope, they're not showing at all, leaving just the default terrain instead of them.
And yes, the correct paths were already set, just this patch scrambled everything up.
I was wondering: it has been told that the patch would migrate mpq files into a CASC systemfile. Where do i find them? Maybe the terrain paths have been changed in the process.

Level 20
Use CASCViewer on your Warcraft III install folder.

Thank you, Dr. Alright, after i dug into it i found what i think i was looking for and i copied its path. Should be this what i need to imput in the editor's custom path?
war3.mpq:terrainart\lordaeronfall\lordf_dirt.blp

EDIT: or maybe the path all the way down the picture?
whatpath-jpg.304380

Last edited:
Level 20
Have you tried simply "terrainart\lordaeronfall\lordf_dirt.blp"? Of course making sure the BLP works.
Yes, this was how it used to work before 1.30. Now the imported custom terrains are in the import manager(with their filesize displayed) but they are replaced with the original terrain in the "already drawn" map. Custom loading screen and custom musics display as 0kb in the import manager, meaning they are "cancelled" and won't appear in the finished map. If i import them again, they will work but as soon as i re-enter WE they again display as 0kb.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Custom loading screen and custom musics display as 0kb in the import manager, meaning they are "cancelled" and won't appear in the finished map.
It means that the file did not save properly (contents lost) so has to be re-imported.

Can you send me the map with all tiles imported? Possibly in a zip along with the imported files themselves.

Level 20
It means that the file did not save properly (contents lost) so has to be re-imported.

Can you send me the map with all tiles imported? Possibly in a zip along with the imported files themselves.
Even if i re-import them again, they will come back to 0kb when i re-open the campaign after restarting WE.
I think it's quicker if i send you the entire campaign, as splitting the map from it would cause some stuff to get f###ed up. Besides, on a side note, i blindly trust you and, i must say, i'm rather honored to receive such help from you, as my hopes on continuing this project are fading as fast as the spreading news of Blizzard going to destroy the modding community with the next patch.
I shall create a private pastebin for you later once i'll be off from work. Safe.

Level 20
...you mean the removal of hostbots and the addition of cross-realm hosting and being able to host without port forwarding? Maybe you should play on the PTR and see what it's like to actually have people in games.
Dude, patches after 1.28 have so far revealed to be a disease for the WE. Imported terrains are not working, custom loading screens and musics are bugging, as well as some trigger functions.... What you want me to tell you?

Level 39
Right... but none of that is an intentional choice by Blizzard to "destroy the modding community". Those are all bugs because Blizzard (seemingly) did not properly vet/test their builds before they pushed them to live. They will eventually be patched out. In fact if this sort of thing bothers you so much it's destroying the community, the PTR can always use more feedback there to let them know what bugs/errors/whatever they aren't (very) aware of. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Level 20
Right... but none of that is an intentional choice by Blizzard to "destroy the modding community". Those are all bugs because Blizzard (seemingly) did not properly vet/test their builds before they pushed them to live. They will eventually be patched out. In fact if this sort of thing bothers you so much it's destroying the community, the PTR can always use more feedback there to let them know what bugs/errors/whatever they aren't (very) aware of. Be the change you want to see in the world.
hey i'm just reporting what's being said in the Battlenet official forum. People are storming them with feedbacks. Hopefully they will diverge from their ideas but what they're doing so far is not helping me, and that's all i'm saying. If they will EVENTUALLY patch out, better they do it ASAP.
Now, do you have any help for me with this matter?

Level 39
No I just want you to be aware that the way you're talking about these bugs implies Blizzard is intentionally fucking over mapmaking in recent patches and causing this stuff to happen because, I dunno, they want to break their own game...? This is outright false and completely disingenuous. You may not agree with the way in which it is being updated, but the intent of the update is to modernize their old code, not to destroy things.

Level 20
No I just want you to be aware that the way you're talking about these bugs implies Blizzard is intentionally fucking over mapmaking in recent patches and causing this stuff to happen because, I dunno, they want to break their own game...? This is outright false and completely disingenuous. You may not agree with the way in which it is being updated, but the intent of the update is to modernize their old code, not to destroy things.
i know is not their intent, but things are going awesome the way they are, why risking f###ing everything up by trying to modernize?
Anyway, got some help for me? Second time.....

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
LordPerenoldeII is there any reason you hijacked Yusuf123's thread?

Ok I have the campaign but you did not send me the textures you want imported neither did you tell me where you want them imported (campaign editor? A specific map?).
hey i'm just reporting what's being said in the Battlenet official forum. People are storming them with feedbacks.
You mean 5-10 people who all work for ENT are creating 100s of posts? That is not really a good representation of everyone who plays Warcraft III.

In any case the issue might be with trying to import files into specific maps inside a campaign. Was that ever really supported? If it only stopped working with recent patches it could be a linking bug which is why the imports go to 0KB on save as they never get added to the archive.

Level 20
LordPerenoldeII is there any reason you hijacked Yusuf123's thread?
Don't know what you mean for "hijacked", i have problems with custom tilesets import and i've been googling, reaching for this very thread of which the title corresponded to my issue
Importing custom tilesets? Tilesets not showing?
Then Pyrogasm came in and everything went south.

Ok I have the campaign but you did not send me the textures you want imported neither did you tell me where you want them imported (campaign editor? A specific map?).
I apologize. I won't look for excuses and get straight to the point. The textures are inside maps from intro05 onwards. Open map Tol Barad and you'll find the custom tilesets in its import manager. The custom tilesets have to be in the map, not in the campaign editor, because there will be again different tilesets in the future.
You mean 5-10 people who all work for ENT are creating 100s of posts? That is not really a good representation of everyone who plays Warcraft III.
Look, i opened the battlenet forum, scrolled onward with the pages and read the ones that had the most thumb-ups. I didn't really pay attention to the names of who was writing down their posts or how many they were. Imho if these people were even 5 or 10 as you say, the number of thumb-ups on posts like theirs was too high for them to be singular whims to go unnoticed and if my campaign has these kinds of problem NOW then i just made 2+2 and felt i had to back them up.

In any case the issue might be with trying to import files into specific maps inside a campaign. Was that ever really supported? If it only stopped working with recent patches it could be a linking bug which is why the imports go to 0KB on save as they never get added to the archive.
Custom imported tilesets show their effective kb size, just the custom loading screens and musics are not. It's a common and usual procedure i do with everything i've made so far with the wc1 project.
Before 1.29 the oil system was working. The whole thing is working even now with the exception of when it has to detect a unit/building cost in oil and check if there is enough quantity of oil to build it(it doesn't let me build anymore even if i have enough oil). For your information, if you might just wanna have a quick look, the GUI lines involved detecting the cost are a few, located at the bottom of triggers, located at the bottom of "oil system" category or something like that, at the bottom(once again) of the trigger tree of every map from 3 till 5. They work in map 3 but not from map 5 onward, and i suspect this has yet again something to do with the latest patches.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I apologize. I won't look for excuses and get straight to the point. The textures are inside maps from intro05 onwards. Open map Tol Barad and you'll find the custom tilesets in its import manager. The custom tilesets have to be in the map, not in the campaign editor, because there will be again different tilesets in the future.
So into which map do you want what specific tiles imported? Or are they already imported and you just do not know why they are not working?
The whole thing is working even now with the exception of when it has to detect a unit/building cost in oil and check if there is enough quantity of oil to build it(it doesn't let me build anymore even if i have enough oil). For your information, if you might just wanna have a quick look, the GUI lines involved detecting the cost are a few, located at the bottom of triggers, located at the bottom of "oil system" category or something like that, at the bottom(once again) of the trigger tree of every map from 3 till 5. They work in map 3 but not from map 5 onward, and i suspect this has yet again something to do with the latest patches.
I suggest making a new topic about this. Probably in the Trigger and Scripts forum section.

Level 20
UPDATE: THEY'RE WORKING!
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge thanks to @deepstrasz for the hint on downgrading the game data through the WE "map options", option that allowed me to open the map with 1.28 WE; THEN, i found the alpha map terrained from my teammates, which contained the custom tilesets BUT with a filesize three times smaller(!). I then imported them and voilà! They work!!
Now, i've planted a flag on this step, let's keep it this way and try to "recover" the other maps from the newest version.
BTW i so damn HOPE the oil system would work again but i highly doubt. I have a reserve plan to go with that. Will try to lay it down.
BACK TO WORK!!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
BTW i so damn HOPE the oil system would work again but i highly doubt. I have a reserve plan to go with that. Will try to lay it down.
BACK TO WORK!!
If it is trigger based, make a topic about it in Trigger and Scripts. It must have been using some very obscure mechanics to break with the recent patches since those were made with backwards compatibility in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.