• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Illegal Resources Section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I wish we have a section where we can see rejected models, deleted models, banned models, zero percent free hand skins, cut out and photoshopped skins. I mean like a junkyard.

I think if we have that section we can use recycling, remodelling or improving them.

Such also illegal resources like non-Warcraft III, some people will find them useful.

P.S.
Illegal term is just a metaphor, not a literal word.

Last edited:
Level 7
You don't get the concept of illegal do you?

This not deep web. You can't buy a vip membership through bitcoins.

Level 32
This is why we made the substandard available to everyone.

It's basically a compromise between people who want to keep our standards and people who also would like to look for resources that don't pass in the approved sections.

Our sections work like this:
Approved - Resources that follow the rules and quality standards.
Needs Fix - Hidden resources that need to be fixed in order to pass as approved.
Substandard - Resources that do not follow the basic rules and or quality standards. May be inconsistent due to standards and rules over the years changing.
Restricted - Resources that are explicit, obscene, stolen, or intentionally hidden for other reasons.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Such also illegal resources like non-Warcraft III, some people will find them useful.
The problem is not that they are useful or not, it is that this site has to comply to US laws and regulations and preferably with EU/UK laws and regulations as well. Hosting stolen, obscene or explicit stuff would violate many of these laws and could potentially get the administrators into legal trouble. Additionally the owners might personally object to hosting some such content on their site for moral reasons, and they are fully allowed to restrict such content as they see fit.

I wish we have a section where we can see rejected models, deleted models, banned models, zero percent free hand skins, cut out and photoshopped skins. I mean like a junkyard.

I think if we have that section we can use recycling, remodelling or improving them.

The hive has standards and dignity. Letting people keep stolen or 'immoral' resources would diminish the value of the community and not improve them.

If you want that kind of garbage, go to some backwater site, like XGM.

XGM got better. I even put some stuff there.

The problem is not that they are useful or not, it is that this site has to comply to US laws and regulations and preferably with EU/UK laws and regulations as well. Hosting stolen, obscene or explicit stuff would violate many of these laws and could potentially get the administrators into legal trouble. Additionally the owners might personally object to hosting some such content on their site for moral reasons, and they are fully allowed to restrict such content as they see fit.

This exactly.

---

Furthermore I, personally, would not feel very well if I post my models, that I worked for several hours on, besides stolen, ripped or otherwise bad models. It has to do something about consistency, because you cannot put put +4000 polygon models aside normal models and make them both look wrong.

Level 5

Point taken. For example Mr. Bean owns a deleted model and we remade it into a better edit. He can still sue us but it is still good to have some revival and cemetery section like this aye?

Or we can call it Necromancy Lab hahaa

Point taken. For example Mr. Bean owns a deleted model and we remade it into a better edit. He can still sue us but it is still good to have some revival and cemetery section like this aye?

Or we can call it Necromancy Lab hahaa
Or maybe we could just not do stupid things like taking other people's stuff and posting a links to the pastebin so the ripper can go willy-nilly happy-go-luck about it, can't we?

Level 5
Or maybe we could just not do stupid things like taking other people's stuff and posting a links to the pastebin so the ripper can go willy-nilly happy-go-luck about it, can't we?
Yeah im chilled to say that you have a point. Well if its in the rejected or trashed model then it's no llnger yours. So if your thing for example was tkaen into the junkyards, can we still call its yours?

Probably not. Junk guys will do something for it. Uhmm yeah recycling. Let's not say harshly its trash, let's call it a scrap open free reasource for all to edit or even just use as base model ;)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Generally model/skin/icon authors should not be deleting their work from this site. The only cases I know of this happening were either because the author decided to "rage quit" HiveWorkshop, taking their assets with them, or that the author was too embarrassed about some of their early work so wanted it removed.

I personally think THW resource section should include some form of licence that prevents authors arbitrarily deleting their content, such as that they retain ownership but THW retains the rite to publicly distribute such a resource. However such terms might not go down too well with some people and might drive away content creators.

Yeah im chilled to say that you have a point. Well if its in the rejected or trashed model then it's no llnger yours. So if your thing for example was tkaen into the junkyards, can we still call its yours?

Probably not. Junk guys will do something for it. Uhmm yeah recycling. Let's not say harshly its trash, let's call it a scrap open free reasource for all to edit or even just use as base model ;)

If the resource was stolen form another game or ripped in the first hand, sure you have full right to edit it, but it does not mean it will be approved and just deleted a second time in the resource sections. Moderators are clever and will sift through your bullshit and most excuses.

Even if you think your model is junk, it is still your junk. It still belongs to yourself and is NOT public domain.

I guess you just don't have much dignity or honour when it come to moral or rules. If so, the Hive is not the right place for your particular mind set.

Generally model/skin/icon authors should not be deleting their work from this site. The only cases I know of this happening were either because the author decided to "rage quit" HiveWorkshop, taking their assets with them, or that the author was too embarrassed about some of their early work so wanted it removed.

I personally think THW resource section should include some form of licence that prevents authors arbitrarily deleting their content, such as that they retain ownership but THW retains the rite to publicly distribute such a resource. However such terms might not go down too well with some people and might drive away content creators.

The Hive is build on its community and its members. If a member decides to delete their stuff it is up to them and them alone. Hive does not have blanket agreement that anything uploaded belongs directly to the Hive - it certainly does not. If a member feels the need to delete their stuff they have free hand to do so and stepping into this process would be in a way censorship and bad will coming from the Hive and its representatives.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
No. Definitely not. It's not like authors gain money from Hive "distributing" their assets.
Not to mention, some of them also donate to the site from time to time.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
The problem is not that they are useful or not, it is that this site has to comply to US laws and regulations and preferably with EU/UK laws and regulations as well.
Now hold on -- AFAIK the site is not hosted in the US (right?), so why would US laws apply? same for UK.

Move the site to russia or something and it wont get shut down.
I would personally want a game rip section

Not like anyone would bother to shut it down anyway, but hey.

Look at the number of legitimate games that have sprung up from the WC3 modding community. Look how far they've gone.

Not every team is going to luck out like those dota scumbags, and be able to get that far by stealing others' work and leeching whatever they can. So why set the bar that low? Why intentionally stifle the community by saying outright that literal garbage is good enough?

I've been part of the Hive since there was a Hive. I don't want to see it turned into another shithole full of utter filth that took literally just the bare minimum of effort. Put some damn effort into your work, have some pride.

Level 5

Yeah I have seen many instances from that. Remember that guy who removed all of his fel troll skins because hive called one of it as 'rejected' even to me his works are cool and unique. If we could revive that we can use his skins (with his permissions) to our models that use trolll skins aye?

If the resource was stolen form another game or ripped in the first hand, sure you have full right to edit it, but it does not mean it will be approved and just deleted a second time in the resource sections. Moderators are clever and will sift through your bullshit and most excuses.

Even if you think your model is junk, it is still your junk. It still belongs to yourself and is NOT public domain.

I guess you just don't have much dignity or honour when it come to moral or rules. If so, the Hive is not the right place for your particular mind set.

The Hive is build on its community and its members. If a member decides to delete their stuff it is up to them and them alone. Hive does not have blanket agreement that anything uploaded belongs directly to the Hive - it certainly does not. If a member feels the need to delete their stuff they have free hand to do so and stepping into this process would be in a way censorship and bad will coming from the Hive and its representatives.

Clam down General Frankie. I get your point. I follow rules. I just want to know how it's gonna be to suggest a Necromantic Labs. Any other way, hive won't do such section like that with negative possibility.

I can make my own resources, but still, it is still better we ask permit of the owner to use their model as... basis. You will not get it because you don't base on stuff like that. I see your models, tank tanks. Oh yeah.

Then what is the destruction of dignity if you are about sharing a dead thing given a new life. Well then im referring to this kind of expansion which will yeah, you might feel glad with it, still not probable to happen. :)

Man, suggestion sampling and gathering does not define the inclination of my mind set. At least you had your opinion. You seem like you got taken things pretty on dogma and psychology which is in contrast to this... logic and sample thing.

I just want to see how and what your want to speak from your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not Frankie for you. First off. I hate that, please stop.

Asking for permission is good and a fair mutual treatment is always good too. If you hide such things people will find out AND make you look bad. Always play with open cards.

I mean, that reposting someone else work, that they clearly did not want to get reposted, is bad and should not be done. That's what I mean with having dignity in things. Having the trust of the people that if they want to get rid of their stuff it is gone for good and not reposted because it might seem useful.

The sampling this is good, asking for permission and crediting for inspiration is always desirable, but there are some site and people who simply take your stuff and just bluntly proclaim that they made it. I have seen people ripping model from maps, that where specially made for that map and then just posted because 'for the lulz and shit' - That's the thing that just bugs me. Sometime people have to understand the simple word of no. And if you are in a big community people have to have mutual respect else everything breaks apart and most people will end up in a bad spot - either feeling betrayed, exhausted or simply frustrated.

Last edited:
Most of us consider what we do to be an artform, and for the most part, artists take their work very seriously. One analogy I've used pretty often with the Hive likens it to an art gallery.

We work for hours, days, or who knows, weeks on our projects. We take great pride in what we do, and when we upload them, yeah, we want to allow others to use them, or to put them on display. All we generally ask is that a nameplate be put alongside our work on the wall, so people know who made what.

More often than not, I use that analogy when explaining why the dota team pissed me off, essentially denying us the only thing we asked for while using the things we've created. We get irritated because we take what we do seriously enough that we don't want the things we've created, and put so much effort into, dragged through the mud.

Beyond that, though, there is always the chance that somebody stands out. Especially since, apparently, Blizzard is going to be paying some attention to the site. That presents an excellent opportunity for people to move beyond game modding, into game dev. Turning the resource section into a cesspool would only hurt peoples' chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.