• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Section v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Since there's already a (closed) Topic with the same name, This topic isn't similar.

Can we get a clean up in the Map section in the hive? Some (Mostly to be exact) maps has no descriptions, and are very confusing and I feel like it's an eyesore. It's either "Can you/admin Describe this map" or just put them in a "Recycle bin" version of the Map section.

Level 17
Don't expect those lazy map mods to do anything but moderate the latest incoming maps, so just report maps you have a problem with.
That should take care of the problem.

Don't expect those lazy map mods to do anything but moderate the latest incoming maps, so just report maps you have a problem with.
That should take care of the problem.
Oh thanks for you support.
Sorry if cleaning 20 pages of pending maps wasn't good enough for last few months.
We will try to moderate 1000+ maps uploaded between 2006 and 2007 (more or less) year when rules doesn't required map presentation.

Just say what we need to do and we will leave school, our jobs, friends and everything else, just to check map by map, one by one, day after day, until we fix whole thw map section.

And then when that won't be enough, we will start cleaning REJECTED SECTION with GOD KNOW HOW MANY MAPS, yes we will, because no one can see them and no one care about them.

Please, I don't like to troll but I can't look at comments like this one.

Level 35
i do wonder if people think before creating threads nowadays

my money's on 'no, but oddly enough they thought they did'

moderators and administrators do not get paid for their work, so they have to deal with something known as 'real life'

looking back to the rules of the time that the maps were uploaded, there were no rules regarding map presentation, as kobas has pointed out

if you feel you can do a better job than the current moderators, then by all means, become a map mod

until then, do not criticise the work done by our mods and admins until you fully appreciate what they do

Hey! D: I cleaned up 10 pages of pending maps in 3 days and that's how you're thanking me?!

Anyways, I have actually been going through already approved maps to actually review and rate them.
However, no, what you say is actually impossible for 2 reasons:
1. We have a life. We can't go back and re-check more than 100 pages of approved maps again.
2. The rules back then weren't that strict and if I recall correctly there were no description options for maps. So no, we can't go back and reject them because today we don't allow maps without descriptions.

But I have seen some maps that were like almost completely empty which were still approved (probably due to the merge), so if you see any of those, just report them.

Last edited:
@OP: You should recognise that the map mods are doing their best. And yeah, before Vengeancekael came, there was 11 pages of pending maps :/
Also, as said, most of the maps that are not working, substandard, or lack a description, are very old with most of the authors having left the Hive. We keep those maps there as a show of respect, and not to mention it would take an incredible amount of time to clean it up.

Level 12
I know the Map section is a bit messy, but i think the mods have done their best to keep it as clean as possible man.

Maps aren't icons or models that you can review just by looking at the image or in a harder way, they'll have to open it in a model viewer program. However, maps on the other hand, requires more time to review. they'll have to actually test play it or even check the triggers etc. With the amount of maps that are being uploaded everyday, whether very good or very bad, they still have to review it.

Try to understand the mods. Like they said, they do have a life, and i think even with a life, they still managed to do a pretty awesome job on their sections. The hive grows everyday, and the resources are getting more in numbers, yet they still able to somehow pull this off.

So, just be patient. if you still think this is not good enough, then you can suggest the hive to elect more mods, probably yourself :D then you'll understand them. With great power, comes great responsibility.

Level 15
Map mods these days are much active than 2 years ago, they cleaned alot of maps in the database.

And about you commenting the "No description" thingie, alot of old maps are approve with simple descriptions back then, let's just say the standards back then was low I am sorry to say. But Map mods today are doing there very best cleaning out maps, so I don't think there is much to go from here.

Level 5
Eyesores to eyesores...
You can blame it on my Area's almost full of Dota plays for some reason. Or is it because of an error?
Or you can blame it that Several maps comes Protected (yes, I know, Void steals) and the best of them maps are either in Development hell or have their creators on Critical Existence fail?

Oh well.

Reactions: Rui
Level 6
I remember the situation like this on wc3c was solved with a critical event.
(it was spells section but the method applies to maps also)

Here is the method:
1. Revoke all map submissions.
2. Post a new and more strict rules (especially about idiotic color decorations please)
3. Post a global notice and request the authors to resubmit their maps.

This will also cleanup all that outdated map garbage that does not work any more due to blizzard patches.

Reactions: Rui
Level 6
The Hiveworkshop has over 10x the amount of maps then WC3C. So that method won't work and many of the old maps and their makers don't even visit here anymore.

And the reason for 10x amount is a 9x of crap that needs to get cleaned.
As for people who don't visit any more == maps not updated == don't belong in approved section.

The method seems perfect to me.

Level 16
Eyesores to eyesores...
You can blame it on my Area's almost full of Dota plays for some reason. Or is it because of an error?
Or you can blame it that Several maps comes Protected (yes, I know, Void steals) and the best of them maps are either in Development hell or have their creators on Critical Existence fail?

Oh well.
What the hell are you trying to say, actually?
As for people who don't visit any more == maps not updated == don't belong in approved section.

The method seems perfect to me.
Fallacious. What about those epic-sized singleplayer maps like Aeroblyctos' The Chosen One? That thing is about 100MB, give or take. It will be stupid to make people re-upload maps of metric duckton in size just because some older submissions doesn't work anymore, won't it?

Also, hey, I got an idea! Why don't, y'know, list maps that you know that doesn't work anymore with the recent patch? You don't have to throw social-life away if you do that! Its volunteer work!

Level 6
Also, hey, I got an idea! Why don't, y'know, list maps that you know that doesn't work anymore with the recent patch? You don't have to throw social-life away if you do that! Its volunteer work!

This can be automated.
Since we are looking for 1.24 compatibility, throw away all maps submitted before August 25, 2009.

Seriously people there are 4344 maps in map section and only 1040 are submitted after patch 1.24 which means you have more than 3000 maps that don't even work...

PS: make a backup in case some authors return and request their old work.

You're not quite well informed about the 1.24 patch are you? Not every map is no longer compatible with the new war3 patch, the majority actually still works, just some maps with specific custom scripts etc. no longer work.
Also there was a map purge in 2009.

Only if they're really no longer working. And most of them still work.

PS: make a backup in case some authors return and request their old work.
Then why even delete the maps in the first place?!

We are not wc3c, we will accept maps with some average quality as well, that's why we have ratings here (2/5 - 3/5 ... 6/5).

Still quality over time changed so we now for example approve maps with good presentation, minimized or fully cleaned leaks, decent terrain, good gameplay etc etc.
Long time ago everything that worked was good to go.

Level 6
I did test 25 maps that way 3 days ago.
I found 1 map that I actually liked (terrania)

I would also prefer browsing maps by rating and not by date.
But when I try that I get results from 2005-2011

I mean seriously 2005?
Even at the off chance that map with that date actually works why would anyone want to download and try it when there are so many maps from 2011?

Also if map was not popular in 2005 what are the chances it will be in 2011?

Purging a map section by date will probably remove some maps that still work and are still good, but percent of that maps will be negligible and the majority of ousted maps will be the ones than need to get ousted.
Cost/Gain ration is highly favorable.

Someone needs to step up here.
But than again, it is always easier to do nothing.

Level 16
I would also prefer browsing maps by rating and not by date.
But when I try that I get results from 2005-2011

I mean seriously 2005?
Even at the off chance that map with that date actually works why would anyone want to download and try it when there are so many maps from 2011?
Not "off-chance" since the number of old maps that still work is quite numerous. And, as said before, if you found a map that is not working, you can just report it instead ranting about it.

Level 30
Don't expect those lazy map mods to do anything but moderate the latest incoming maps

attachment.php

okay problem solve and lets close this dope

Attachments

• 201421300w7vZX17.jpg
    201421300w7vZX17.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.