• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

If you could wish for anything what would you wish for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Infinite wishes and then infinite knowledge, infinite power, immortality, you get the idea.
I don't understand how humans can obsess over this. There is no pleasure in infinite anything. We get a feeling of joy when we accomplish something through hard work, not if it pops up in front of us. If we go by that formula:

As humans, we do it for the mystery. We do not actually want the answers. We want to work for them. We want to experience the mystery. Infinite knowledge eliminates any mystery existing in this universe.
It is much like playing an adventure video game. Do we really play it for a THE END? Not at all. We play a video game for... playing the video game! I myself hate getting close to a game's end, because I know the experience will be over, never for me to relive it the same way I just did.
My favorite games consist of Golden Sun, Golden Sun: TLA, Ace Attorney series (first three) and Ghost Trick. Every time I finished each one, I got a great feeling of depression. This feeling lasted up to weeks with some of these games, and I got an extreme urge to discuss the game with someone else, and to express my love for them. If I didn't, I would go over everything that happened in the games, usually listening to their soundtracks.

I want to play them again, but I can't. I can never relive them the way I did the first time.

Now, this does not go the same for everyone, of course. However, it is the same for anyone craving answers for the universe's mysteries. If you really want to know, then that means you don't want to know. What you really want to do is ponder about it, discuss it, read upon it, listen to theories about it, theorize yourself about it. You want to play the game that is the mystery.
Have you ever started a game, gotten interested in it, then skipping to the end to see what happens right away?
It's illogical.
You have to work for the answer. You have to work for THE END. It is an experience.

But wait, there's more. As humans, we will never discover the truth. At least not in our lifetime. Now, we have discovered, or theorized, a lot of answers already, sure. However, finding an answer to one thing will only create twice or more the questions. There really isn't a THE END. The mysteries of our universe are an infinite game.
How can you ask for more?
I remember when I'm playing story-driven games that I'm into, there's nothing more I want than for them to be infinite. Neverending. Once it finishes, there is no going back.

As for infinite power, what can I say... All of these wishes may be a vague case of "we want what we can't have". If you are playing a video game that requires strategic thinking, sharp reflexes, and overall an immense skill, then would you really want to play with a cheat code that eliminates all this, as you can do whatever you want? The game requires nothing of you anymore, other than to press a few buttons.
If I take another example, Minecraft (even though I do not approve of the game
nor Notch
), which you may have played. If playing on survival, it is very rewarding to have your chest filled with minerals and materials that took you time and effort to collect. If playing on creative mode, there are no such rewarding feelings. You may play creative mode for various reasons, e.g. messing around with piston work, creating something huge you could barely create in survival, or whatever. Sure, they will feel rewarding, but that's because they required your thinking skills, and a lot of time and effort nontheless.
So I don't know where I'm going with this anymore. I myself believe that infinite power is pointless, and would ruin your will to live after a few years. I'm finding it difficult to explain why, however. Or at least put it into words.
I can fetch my formula, then. We get a feeling of joy through hard work. With infinite power, you don't really have to work for anything. I can see it being fun at first, but growing tired eventually. Much like if playing a sandbox game with no regulations. If it allows you to do whatever you want, whenever you want, it will get tiring.

However... You may mean to use your power subtly. Just use it as a somewhat minor convenience in your life. If you drop your toast on the floor, you undo it. If you want this game really badly but are a bit short on cash, you get it without having to pay. If you want this luxurious mansion instead of your old house, you get it. For free.
Woah. Did you see that jump there?
Even if you plan on using your powers in moderation, I'm pretty sure you would wind up abusing it. I don't believe anyone can live with infinite power without eventually abusing it, no matter his strength of mind. So really, however you put it you will one way or the other end up on my starting point.

Immortality, that's an easy one. Go ask an old man whether he wants to live forever or not. He will tell you no. Simple.
However, if you mean immortality as you yourself have power over whether you live or die, then hot damn, that sounds good. I'm sure it's flawed in some way, but the reason why I don't see it like that is that if you die, you simply aren't alive anymore. If you aren't alive, then there is no joy.
I don't think if you were to die in a car crash, then given the opportunity to get a second chance or not, that you would decline it. I don't think this is the same case of infinite power, however, as death is something completely different. If you are dead, then there is nothing to regret anyway.

Sorry if the last two were a little half-assed, I am both in a hurry and a little tired of writing at the moment.
As for my one wish, which the thread asks me about, I would have to say
free the genie

Last edited:
Nice argument EroticSideBurns.

I myself believe that infinite power is pointless, and would ruin your will to live after a few years. I'm finding it difficult to explain why, however. Or at least put it into words.

Damn, I was trying to explain this a long time ago on some other thread about Death.
I should've said that :p

Immortality, that's an easy one. Go ask an old man whether he wants to live forever or not. He will tell you no. Simple.
However, if you mean immortality as you yourself have power over whether you live or die, then hot damn, that sounds good. I'm sure it's flawed in some way, but the reason why I don't see it like that is that if you die, you simply aren't alive anymore. If you aren't alive, then there is no joy.
I don't think if you were to die in a car crash, then given the opportunity to get a second chance or not, that you would decline it. I don't think this is the same case of infinite power, however, as death is something completely different. If you are dead, then there is nothing to regret anyway.

That too.

I'd rather have no knowledge at all rather than infinite knowledge. You indeed have a point there. It's the mystery and experiences that make things enjoyable.

But, then again, why not just wish for the experiences and the mystery along with the knowledge?

edit

I thus wish for infinite knowledge, infinte power, infinite wisdom, infinite money, and infinite experiences and enjoyment.

Level 6
But, then again, why not just wish for the experiences and the mystery along with the knowledge?
That goes without saying. We want the mystery; not the answers. So logically, even if we didn't skip the mystery, we still have all the answers, thus left unhappy.

I wish I had a v*gina. c:
I believe traps are, and will become more sexually appreciated in due time. You don't need a vagina to fulfill your feminine needs.

Last edited:
That goes without saying. We want the mystery; not the answers. So logically, even if we didn't skip the mystery, we still have all the answers, thus left unhappy.

Then wish for satisfaction :ogre_hurrhurr:
After all, the OP didn't say you have only one wish ;)

I wish I had a v*gina. c:

Wish granted. Now you have 2 c:

edit

You can wish for an opportunity to acquire infinite knowledge or you can wish for an infinitely long game :>

Level 6
Well, just like anything that reaches out of our laws of physics, wishes are difficult to comprehend properly. They are not very defined, as they are just fantasy.

If you are to wish to be happy with every wish you make, that none of them backfires, then I don't know. I would consider that happiness you wished for to be artificial, as of a drug's.

I want better internet connection.
It is much like playing an adventure video game. Do we really play it for a THE END? Not at all. We play a video game for... playing the video game! I myself hate getting close to a game's end, because I know the experience will be over, never for me to relive it the same way I just did.

I want to play them again, but I can't. I can never relive them the way I did the first time.

That's why I mod Wc3, for over 9000 possibilities and endings. C:

EroticSideBurns said:
I myself hate getting close to a game's end, because I know the experience will be over, never for me to relive it the same way I just did.

me too... especially for good games... normally for games that cannot be replayed with the same char or doesn't have post-story gameplay, when I'm at the end, its time to pour on cheats!!! hahahahahaha!

Hmmmm... first might be like someone said on the first post, vanishing of gunpowders!!! + missiles and every modern weapons... then it will be time again for swords and bows...

then maybe, instant downloads!!!

and love...

Level 9
Sincerely... the only thing i could wish would be that the world, more precisely, the humanity... would finally understand it's mistakes and being going forward to it's great and amazing future and destiny, as a race that must evolve in something better and protect the earth while doing so.

EDIT: as for myself... well i think i would wish for angel wings... *smile* flying with your own wings (and not in a plane or something) would be somehow the most awesome experience... especially for someone like me. (those who know me might understand)

Level 1
I find it hard to beleive that people left out one of the most important things:
When i say this I'm dead serious: I wish I had control over time!!!

Level 9
If only i may ask... for what? Going back/forth in time? Changing the timeline is always with unknown results... as for the idea of stopping time in one place, just so that you would do something while nobody moves and such... well that can only be used for evil deeds which isn't quite a good wish.

Please do not take my criticism as an offence, if you feel like i am wrong then please do tell me.

Level 1
well that can only be used for evil deeds which isn't quite a good wish.

I must say that you're wrong. Wishing for control over time, i think, is one of the best wishes there is. For example: you can stop time,when someone gets hit by a car, to move them: When someone with a gun is threatening you. Or you could go back in time to fix the fatal mistakes you made (if your life is horrible). There are many other good uses for time control.

Level 8
World peace of course, it will never happen ever, it's not humanly possible, but if we could achieve it via magic, then obviously that.

Status
Not open for further replies.