• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

If you could time travel

What would you do with your time travelling ability

• Change your life

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Change history

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • See the future

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Nothing

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
What would you do if you could travel once to any one point in time (past or future), and back to your original time after 24 hours?

Would you change history? Kill baby Hitler? Or would you go to see how things would become, so you were prepared? Or would you perhaps change something that happened to yourself in your past? Or do nothing?

I'd check the future, because I don't wish to change what has allready happened, or I might exterminate myself or end up in an alien environment.

Level 7
Yeah, I think time travel is a bad idea. If you went back into the past and changed something, then the future would be different, depending on what you changed. If you killed baby Hitler when you went back in time, maybe we'll have a Red Alert type thing in the future because of Hitler's nonexistence.

I'd kill baby Stalin, Churchill and Eisenhower, then help the Axis win the war. :cgrin:

Doubt that killing baby Stalin would have done a difference in the war, we would just have had a Trotsky instead. Which would eventually have lead to a less aggressive soviet union, but as the Soviet Union first joined the war after the Nazi invasion of Russia, I think the result had been about the same.

And England and USA would just have elected other leaders, maybe resulting in America never entering the war, but doubt that Hitler could even win the war after his Blitzkrieg was destroyed by the Russian winter. Facing the strength of the Soviet Union.

But that is just one of all possible outcomes.

Level 11
It is easy. Future of course, the past is the past (careface). I would simply see to it that I got filthy rich, the rest of the time I would shut my eyes so that I would not see too much of the future, it would make life dull, like Elainiel said.

Level 35
Doubt that killing baby Stalin would have done a difference in the war, we would just have had a Trotsky instead. Which would eventually have lead to a less aggressive soviet union, but as the Soviet Union first joined the war after the Nazi invasion of Russia, I think the result had been about the same.

And England and USA would just have elected other leaders, maybe resulting in America never entering the war, but doubt that Hitler could even win the war after his Blitzkrieg was destroyed by the Russian winter. Facing the strength of the Soviet Union.

But that is just one of all possible outcomes.

Nope. The Soviet Red Army was strong exactly because Stalin industrialized the Soviet Union with blood and tears after step by step getting rid of his friendly competition, in this case Trotsky. If there was no Stalin or aggressive industrialization, the Soviet Union would have just sank in its neo-feudal grave while maybe making small steps, unable to keep pace with the technological developments of the West. It was also Stalin who pushed the millions of people from the ass end of nowhere to fight against the German incursion with their bare hands if needed.

Without Stalin, the Soviet Union (or whatever it would be without him at that point) would be lost to the Germans. With Moscow and Leningrad fallen, the rest of Russia would have been pie to cover too, so the "but Russia is large!" argument is kinda invalid on the long term.

Without the Soviet Union, I have sincere doubts the Allies would have managed to win, it's unlikely that the USA would have interfered to begin with. The Soviet success (if you can call losing men in a 1:10 ratio that) at Stalingrad was the one to inspire the country teaching they won the war single-handedly to aggressively join the conflict.

Without the USA, Britain would have fallen just as much.

So hey! Stalin out of the picture, the Axis may have won. But who knows? It's all just assumptions.

Level 11
Wow i would change history, but first i would go see jesus christ, then i would kill the senate who conspired against and killed Julius Ceaser, too see how things would end up if he wasn't killed, and perhaps show them how electricity works and how to develop direct current, then i would travel back to the present and by that time robots, flying cars, and space colonization will be present :D hehe

Level 11
First I would get myself the latest warfare equipment, guns, grenades, a tank and etc. Then I'd travel back in time and wage war against everyone and pewn them when they come sprinting with their spears and leather harnesses.

That has been one of my dreams for a long time.

Level 16
Moin moin =)

I would do nothing. I can't see any good thing, to travel to the past nor the future.
When I saw "kill hitler baby", I have to say the following: I'm not a fan of what happened there ok?, but if he wasn't there, we Germans wouldn't exist anymore same as Germany as we know it. If I'm wrong with that and I kill the him, some other would replace him and should I kill him too, so another replace him -> end this would be endless (this is just an example, when you think you would change the past, you can create more chaos and destruction with it)

The future? No thanks, because actually it's the same you have now in this time. Of course everyone thing the future is better, we have more technology and this stuff, yes but you have to think that those stuff must be produced as well, which means more materials. Look in out time: More technology > more materials needed > more beef and war for it. In 250 years we have high nuclear weapons ... this wouldn't be funny at all ... ( except for zombie, he like the war ... )

So I stay in my time here and this is the best for me and I'm happy with my life, so even if I had the ability to rebuild my life, I would do the same thing I did.

Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Level 14
If I could time travel, then I already will have done it. Any ventures made I'll make into the past will have already happened.

It's a funny thing about time. There are only two possible outcomes in regards to mettling with the past.
1) An alternate reality is formed, independant of the one your originated from.
2) [I favor this one] Time cannot be altered, thus everything you do is responsible for the "future" you came from.

As for the future, to know it is to be bound by it. In this case, ignorance is bliss.

Another thing about alternate realities that I favor: Everytime you have to make a desicion, a reality is born for each possible desicion you make (In all realities you've chosen every possible choice). Therefore, if you could have done something you already have. In one rality you're well to do, in another you're dead. In another, you never even existed. You get the picture...

//\\oo//\\

Level 17
I'd fix up everything that I should have never done, and i'll tell people the RIGHT person to vote for.

Level 10
If I could time travel, then I already will have done it. Any ventures made I'll make into the past will have already happened.

It's a funny thing about time. There are only two possible outcomes in regards to mettling with the past.
2) [I favor this one] Time cannot be altered, thus everything you do is responsible for the "future" you came from.

As for the future, to know it is to be bound by it. In this case, ignorance is bliss.

Another thing about alternate realities that I favor: Everytime you have to make a desicion, a reality is born for each possible desicion you make (In all realities you've chosen every possible choice). Therefore, if you could have done something you already have. In one rality you're well to do, in another you're dead. In another, you never even existed. You get the picture...

//\\oo//\\

Yes, time travelling backwards is full of paradoxes. That's another reason why I'd prefer to time travel towards the future. Afterall, we do that every moment of our lives. No magic there... only problem is we can't return to the good moments in our lives... I wish I could do that, but I'm too realistic and unimaginative to consider how I would take advantage of such a paradoxical situation. Oh, well, lots of things could be fun to do before I was born, but it's so contradictory to even think about it (for me).

Level 16
Not George Bush. :p

I thought the same, but who is the correct person for you then?

Because actually it isn't easy. You are in the past and want someone else there. But you have to know, that this person doesn't make shit in the future.
And you can't know that because if a person has might, the person changes and you can have some more terrible then Bush.
But you can't travel in the future, because your person you want vote is unknown then, because Bush is again there and so on..

I know this is a thread for some fun, but there you can see what happen if time travel would be possible ;)

Level 17

Because actually it isn't easy. You are in the past and want someone else there. But you have to know, that this person doesn't make shit in the future.
And you can't know that because if a person has might, the person changes and you can have some more terrible then Bush.
But you can't travel in the future, because your person you want vote is unknown then, because Bush is again there and so on..

I know this is a thread for some fun, but there you can see what happen if time travel would be possible ;)

I would bring Chuck Norris to lead us to glory and he can rule America (even though I do not live in America, but I do feel bad for the country).

Level 6

If you really think about it, there is only one possible outcome. See, if you think of space as having only 3 dimensions then squish it down into a point (representing the entire universe you know at any instant) time (being the fourth dimension) would stretch that out into a one dimensional line extending forward and back infinitely. Now, if you were to travel backwards on that line and then change something (which would happen automatically as your very presence would displace the molecules in the air) you would be stepping off that line, sideways, thus traveling through the fifth dimension. Since time still ONLY flows forward and back you could not get back to your original position no matter how many times you travel forward or backward on your new track. Even though you are right next to where you were you will never be there again because the number of variations that can fit side by side (when they are in fact infantecimaly thin which is to say they have no width or thickness so an infinite number could stack or sit side by side and STILL have no width or thickness) are literally infinite.

soooo...

If I never planned on coming back I'd probably check out the future.

Travelling backwards would be bad because the further back in time you travel the more effect it would have on the present. Imagine if you went back, changed something and then came forward again. You would be displaced from your reality with no way to ever return. Even if you went back a few hours or minutes it would separate you from the timeline and you would be lost forever (in the event you decided to return) in one of an infinitely numbered collection of alternate realities. You could travel to the future but the past is a no go.

If you were, for instance, to turn to your buddy and say I have to go back to last week to grab that sandwich at Quiznos I left on the table. He'd be like okay, "see you later"...but he wouldn't. He would never see you again because by altering one thing in the past and then attempting to return you would be shunted off to another universe where you might be able to move forward in and backward (which would only push you further away from your home universe) and look exactly the same but the people you know would never really be the people you know. You would be lost to them forever. Just around the corner but soooo far away.

now if I had the ability to step sideways into alternate realities and to know which one was which by feel and to be able to target them for travel...well that would render my whole argument mute and all bets would be off (of coerce my brain would have to be so large as to store all that data that the weight of my head would break my neck). I mean, you could buy a lotto ticket and then step into the universe that your numbers were chosen...hopefully displacing or overwriting yourself in that place...or you would have to kill yourself...wow...i'm getting some good ideas for a book.

Last edited:
Level 6
Sorry I'm double posting. The previous post was too big.

Ill sell future inventions.Make loads of money.

It's almost worth it.

I was just thinking that by travelling back in time and just appearing out of nowhere means that you would make an instant copy of your universe but you would be lost to your own. The other possibility is that there are universes out there that tolerate sentient being suddenly winking into existence for no reason and our home plane just happens to be incredibly stable....that being the case, the multi-verse isn't a fun place to be just wandering around in.

Anybody smart enough to make a time machine would know these things and decide the whole thing was just a really, really, really bad idea.

Really.

I don't see Al Gore ever going after the middle east...he was more relaxed than...uhh. He was RELAXED. It would be interesting to see how he would have dealt with 9-11. Also, "President Gore" that's the coolest name of any president ever!

Level 16
Yes I remember this John Titor as well and this is exciting isn't it?

I mean we dream here, "if time travel is possible" but who can say, that it doesn't exist in the future and someone travel back to our time. Of course no one would believe him if he would say "Hey I come from 2036 or whatever".

But the thing of time traveling is, even if you can travel in the past or future, you can't change something at all, because time travel requires, that you make sure, that you can exist in the time, where you starting with the time travel.

Even if you go back in the past and kick a small rock away from the street, you can kill yourself. Think of, the mother of your grandmother had kicked this rock just for fun and kicked it to a man, later her husband. But if you kicked this rock away, the mother of your grandmother couldn't kicked it, so she never met this man, she never married the man, never get childes from the man, so your mother or dad wouldn't be born nor did you then.

Yes I remember the time when I talked with my physics teacher about this - creative thinking ....

Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Level 9
Why cant u guys just post what you would do instead of going into long,complicated explanations?(We have medivhs tower for that)

Level 15
Even if you go back in the past and kick a small rock away from the street, you can kill yourself. Think of, the mother of your grandmother had kicked this rock just for fun and kicked it to a man, later her husband. But if you kicked this rock away, the mother of your grandmother couldn't kicked it, so she never met this man, she never married the man, never get childes from the man, so your mother or dad wouldn't be born nor did you then.

Who knows? You might even end up becoming you'r own grandfather ^-^

_PV

_PV

Level 7
i would go back in time, taking a box of matches with me, to the prehistoric era of cavemen and t-rexes, and i would show em dumbasses how it's done!! =D i'll even leave my bio with em, then today it would forever encrypted in the scribes of history, that _PV the great led man to existance! it's flawless, that way global warming would never have happened, Adolf Hitler wouldve ended up as a clerk in some $2 store, osama bin-ladan would be hiding in the TWIN TOWERS and world hunger would end, now every1 could actually heat there food up! They wouldve even named a religeon after me xD PVist! lol... thats waht i would do if i could go back in time

Level 11
i would go back in time, taking a box of matches with me, to the prehistoric era of cavemen and t-rexes, and i would show em dumbasses how it's done!! =D i'll even leave my bio with em, then today it would forever encrypted in the scribes of history, that _PV the great led man to existance! it's flawless, that way global warming would never have happened, Adolf Hitler wouldve ended up as a clerk in some $2 store, osama bin-ladan would be hiding in the TWIN TOWERS and world hunger would end, now every1 could actually heat there food up! They wouldve even named a religeon after me xD PVist! lol... thats waht i would do if i could go back in time

lol that was funny hahahaha :p

Status
Not open for further replies.