• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Any Ideas for a Strategy game?

EMPIRES:DAWN AND DUSK

I have decided to revamp the project to bring technology,magic and fantasy creatures into a single RTS-map.Probably been done before.

The map also focuses into making your faction completely different from other players factions.The location itself gives your players some bonuses and units.E.g
Regional Bonuses

• Cold regions will provide natural defense due to cold but invasions can cause a problem due to heat which the soldiers are not used to.
  • Desert regions have a lesser reiance on farms and water due to scarcity but have to fight for most other resources (excluding oil..hehe)
  • Coastal regions are excellent areas,resource rich due to the waters,but are hotspots for creep invasions
Other choices also shape your nation.Like
  • Government.Each government provides different economic bonuses and challenges.
  • Religion.Each religion affects the mentality of the people.Especially important if democracy.
  • Warfare style.Will your warriors be heavily armored slow units,or fast and lightly armoured units more suited for ambush?
  • The main choice between magic and technology.Very important,once decided,it dramatically gives you th options for new units not available to the other factions.
Other features

• Happiness.Keeping people happy is essential fr every ruler.
  • Resources.From basic necessities to luxury items,each one is important.
  • Mercenaries and Neutral factions.
  • Maintanance.Buildings and mechanical units may fall apart if you dont maintain them properly.
  • Diseases and natural disasters.
Nightblade in a later post said:
For example:-
Mystic is a religion where you build many temples for many bonuses,but it requires a lot of effort.+300HP Bonus to towers

Monothestic will offer powerful religious guardians which protect your faith.Increased Attack,More happiness than other religions

Cultist -This religion is sacrifice-based and lots of sacrifices lead to insane,militaristic bonuses. (Prisoners of war make good dummies)

Atheist-It is not a religion,as we all know.A low-risk low return option
If you read the post in which I listed the 3 religions,there are some changes.I thought it appropirate
Thanks to cleavinghammer,Multigod,Boris spider,Ikithe,geazergimil2 and Cyber duel X16 for thier ideas.

EDIT:
Government bonuses may be found here

Last edited:
Level 11
- hire able mercenaries that infiltrate a base of your choice on their own (AI Controlled)
- A third hostile force that attacks all players periodically.
- crates that drop periodically around the map that give items, resources, units, researches, or even buildings.
- An option to drop a crate(for a price) around another player's base that contains explosives(that donate automatically), turrets(that attack nearby hostiles), nuke, or viruses.
- New space colonists that land on this planet. They may join you, or you can kill them for their resources and belongings.
- Nuke warheads

Level 9
Thanks for the ideas people..
I especially liked MultiGod's Invasion and mercenaries
I can se it now..Earth invasion on Drecon(The planet on which the game takes place)
Thou shalt be +repped

Level 14
In one of the CastleBuilder Multirace maps I made (Edit off of Funness' work) I set up a powerful Undead General that could be released by killing it's warden. Whenever it killed something a skelly was made (using dark arrow). Everytime a skelly killed a unit another skelly was made.

Basically, one or more players could unleash a scourge.
The General could be killed only by destroying his source of power, an old obelisk. He'd regenerate to full HP quickly unless the obelisk was dead. When he died so did the skelly army.

Niether him nor the skellies could attack buildings though.

You may be able to twist my concept to fit your world. If you're familiar with the Aliens series, have aliens continue spreading until the queen is dead.

//\\oo//\\

Level 9
Thanks people!
Here are the features im using now
1.Government system
2.Happiness system
3.Merchants who move around the map
4.Space Colonists(thanks MultiGod)
5.Mercenaries(again,thanks to multigod)
6.Natural Disasters(thanks to cleavinghammer)
7.Various techtrees to choose from
8.Terrorists
9.Weather and Seasons
10.Wonders of the world (not earth's)
This could be moved to map development if attaching a map is not mandatory.

Level 9
I know that Happiness,Weather and Natural Disasters will take a lot of time.I also know that it would be measurable in months.I have started on the working of the Government bonuses system though.

Level 14
As an fyi, It's probably safe to assume that for each addition to be as "random" at both time and location, you're going to need to learn vJASS or JASS. GUI may work, but you'll be more prone to leaks.

Just start with one system. I have an unprotected CastleBuilder map I can upload for you if you'd like to see how he set up an earthquake system. It's in vJASS however. He also had a random lightning storm as well as a custom income [tax] system.

//\\oo//\\

Level 14
Sorry about the wait.

Here's Castlebuilder Multirace 2.2. [It's in pastebin, if you can't access it let me know.] I don't have CastleBuilder 2.4 North No Myths on my laptop, it's on my home computer. CB 2.4 was created by Funness. Crabby_Spider and I edited the map and attempted to add new races. (The imba is sad) However, all of the original code was kept.

Everything you're looking for is going to be under the "init" trigger, which is huge. We labeled to the best of our knowledge, but to speed things up search for the words "earthquake", "Gewitter"~relates to the earthquake and "DoErdbeben"~which also relates to the code.

Happy hunting!

//\\^^//\\

Level 5
You could have certain doodads spawn and have the nearby environment slowly change based on how you play and what you do. Just an idea I've had for a while.

Level 28
Maybe have some independant (AI-run) factions, with a much less lower of tech, that basically serve to harass other players?

Also a domestication system, where catching wild animals provides you with alternate ways of obtaining units/ supplies (for example, a trapper unit catching wild pigs and bringing it back to a farm increases that farm's food by a certain amount, bring it to the item shop to convert it to healing items... Similarly, catching horses allows you to convert units to cavalry (via a Pick Up Archer command), turn it into food, etc.

Level 9
For the Idea about the AI-run factions,Im considering it.Most likely it will be draenai and pirate

But Im not using the second idea.Its too much of a hassle to catch horses and mount them(I think)

Level 28
Not a problem.

Adding to the "neutral tribes" thing: Have a few mercenary encampments with unique units scattered around the map as non-hostile neutrals. If hired, they will surround and defend your base (controlled by AI) in exchange for a fee. The fee continues to increase until you can no longer pay it (or receive a better offer from another player), at which point they will turn on you until destroyed.

Level 14
Not a problem.

Adding to the "neutral tribes" thing: Have a few mercenary encampments with unique units scattered around the map as non-hostile neutrals. If hired, they will surround and defend your base (controlled by AI) in exchange for a fee. The fee continues to increase until you can no longer pay it (or receive a better offer from another player), at which point they will turn on you until destroyed.

It would be more realistic that they take down camp and leave as soon as you don't pay. Killing you may get them killed.

//\\oo//\\

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

It would be more realistic that they take down camp and leave as soon as you don't pay. Killing you may get them killed.

//\\oo//\\

How about, when you first meet a mercenary camp they ask you for a payment, if you don't pay up they attack you. If they do, you can hire their warriors. They will ask for another payment after (xx) time and the amount they want will increase by (xx) depending on the amount of times you have already paid them

Level 5
How about, when you first meet a mercenary camp they ask you for a payment, if you don't pay up they attack you. If they do, you can hire their warriors. They will ask for another payment after (xx) time and the amount they want will increase by (xx) depending on the amount of times you have already paid them

Mercenaries don't ask for a fee or toll, Bandits do. Bandit camp maybe?

Level 9
Based on your Ideas and mine,I have thought about two types of mercs
1.Solitary Strong Warriors
2.Band of Units

For the first type,The mercenaries will approach you if your empire looks like a rich one.Then you have a choice to offer them a contract of a certain no. of years.They will be strong units with abilities and hero-armor

For the second type,You would approach thier camp and ask them to ally you.Here,you can offer them an undefined contract,by which they will be your allies until someone else offers them a better pay(of course,you can offer them more to let them stay)Or you relegate them.They will be a separate techtree of thier own

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Band of units won't just to ally you, they would want money too

Level 9
Oh,sorry.Yea,they would require money.But they mainly want protection from major AI-controlled Factions who are trying to destroy them.The player has a greater chance of incurring the wrath of these factions.

Updated game info

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Makes more sense, but if that's the case. Why not make city-states? Small, unexpanding AI cities that you can gain the favour of by protecting them or giving themg gold etc. Once they ally you (when you've gained enough favour) you will get bonuses according to their characteristics (Militaristic gives units, Financial gives gold etc.) And yes, i did get that from Civ V xD

Level 11
this sounds like stronghold :p,

idk if anyone made a map like this b4, but it would be awesome if you could do what stronghold did by having certain structures provide the materials needed to make weapons and armor for certain units. (AKA Swordsman, Spearman, Archer, etc.) but i wouldnt know how to do this.. but it sure is an idea :p hehe

Level 9
No city-states,but I have borrowed religion and infiltration from Civ.Basically you have a series of choices which shape your nation,the unique units,the economy and happiness.
As for Geazer,can you explain a little bit more?Cause I have neva played Stronghold before..

Level 11
Well in stronghold, u pretty much controlled "EVERYTHING" that was goin on, entertainment, crime, waste, disease, defenses, army, food, etc.. but the idea i was talking about is :

In stronghold to make certain units, you must first provide the material needed just for that unit, heres an example :

to make a swordsman (best unit) you must first get the iron resource, to make both his plate armor and weapon

but you not only must get the resources, u must also make the facilities that create the weapons... Weaponsmith uses iron to make swords, maces, etc. Armorsmith makes the plate armor

this goes with every unit in the game, but the easiest units to make were the archer and spearman you just needed a fletcher to make the bow (wood) for the archer... and u just need a weaponsmith to make spears for the spearman (wood).

Hope this helped :D

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

It's been done in Anno and Settlers.
Basically
You need Iron Ore to make Iron (refined in a smithy) and Iron to make Weapons (Blacksmith)
And in the same concept: Wood to make Bows etc.

Level 9
Well,there will be natural resources and iron will be required to train soldiers.But ill try to make it as such that its not too much of a pain to get a reliable iron source.

But I will make sure that it WILL be a pain to obtain plutonium for nukes.

Level 9
Religion:
The religions will be slightly earth-style and cult-style.Each provides different bonuses and building temples(I know,CIV) will generate happiness

For example:-
Mystic is a religion where you get insanely powerful gods,but it requires a lot of effort.+300HP Bonus to towers,+5 productivity

Monothesticwill offer powerful religious guardians which protect your faith.Increased Attack,More happiness than other religions

Cultist Will give you mysterious shadow-units which are difficult to use properly.They have a lot of abilities.Increased speed to units.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Religion needs a bit of work, but the concept is stable enough.

Level 5
Instead of instantly giving religion bonuses to all your units and buildings, can't you have it spread around like Disease (or something similar)?

Level 9
Oh yeah it will.Im prepared to work for a long time.
And this is fantasy game.Im planning to have earth nations colonize the planet.

Level 11
it would probably be smoother, if u left religion out... maybe religion can boost your units with certain aura's... thats one idea.. but i would just leave religion out

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Game would defiantly be more smoother, but this would apply to most flavor concepts. If you did that for everything, game would be rather bland.

Level 3
You can do PvM or Arena style events within each faction and each round you beat you get rewarded addtional gold or items. Or you can choose to make it so that you have to pay to advance each level so that if you lose, you suffer the downfall and if you choose to back down, you have that option.

Level 9
@Unreal-This is an RTS-style game,not arena
Im not scrapping religion but definetly cutting out the gods.Mystic will have increased bonuses isntead.The game won't have spells but will have fantasy native creatures like murlocs ad draenai

Level 9
Any Ideas for possible heroes?I mentioned there would be no spells but Any suggestions for passive abilities or spells with a 'physical' touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.