• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ideas for Modeling Competition #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

People could of course choose their style of caster, be it druid, priest, mage, necromancer, shaman, elemental mage, the list goes on.

Or, should I list about 5 popular magic user types, and each person has to choose one of the five? That might make it interesting.

What would be the rules be then? I'm thinking I should require at least one particle emitter, but anything else?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

So far, the ones I like:

Somebody with at least two spell animations, and a non-physical attack?
Something that look clever (not sludge caster)

A caster can be muscular or wear what he wants, thats up to the person. So is the combination of race and magic. But these two I like, because a magic user should have a high intelligence, and the two spell animations and non physical fit perfectly.

Maybe two spell animations and a channel?

Level 9
I think the competition shouldn't be on casters by magic types but by classes, because most of the classes using more then 1 type of magic.
There are many caster classes in Warcraft; here is the list of casters class:
-Necromancer
-Warlock
-Mage
-Druid
-Priest
-Shaman
-Witch Doctor
-Paladin
-Runemaster

Here are the types of magic:
-Arcane Magic
-Divine Magic
-Fel Energy
-Rune Energy

Level 23
I think if we're doing an exclusive 'casters' contest, then a true caster will always attack with energy rather than physical might (let's face it, why punch when you can fireball?). However, you could still do melee attacks with this; energy claws and all that, psi-blades to call on a popular (*sigh*) example.

Yes, Mech, I still suggest robots, but considering that there will surely be contests in the future, somebody will agree to it eventually. :grin:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

And how do you compare two models that are completely different? How would you judge such a contest? It would become a contest to see who came up with the best random idea for a model, rather than who made the best (robot, for example) model.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Sorry morpheus, we just did buildings.

And we only got two entries finished.

Level 8
I say transformers theme, thatd be really interesting. have somethign turn into a jet or motorcycle. That would also fit everyone else's robo needs

I say transformers theme, thatd be really interesting. have somethign turn into a jet or motorcycle. That would also fit everyone else's robo needs

Do you have any idea how complicated that is?

What we need is something simple, so more people will enter. Robots are easy to model and skin, since they're so "boxy", and they're also easy to animate since you don't have to deal with "organic distortion" and basically keep to single parts.

Flying things are a little harder, but as long as they don't have wings its not that hard.

So yes, Robots is a good theme.

Level 9
Do you have any idea how complicated that is?

What we need is something simple, so more people will enter. Robots are easy to model and skin, since they're so "boxy", and they're also easy to animate since you don't have to deal with "organic distortion" and basically keep to single parts.

Flying things are a little harder, but as long as they don't have wings its not that hard.

So yes, Robots is a good theme.

And that’s is excatly the reason why they are SOO boring…

Level 23
There is as much scope, if not more, for robots as organic things.

People have too many fixed ideas. Robots don't have to be boxy at all; I'm sure we've all seen sleek alien machines in countless films. Robots don't have to be anything -- there's so much potential for weird and wonderful designs, and without the constraint of making something look like it has to pay attention to gravity and the like.

Woargh.

Level 23
Nah, that's too wide.

A vehicle competition is something quite different to a robot competition.

And goblins and gnomes and dwarves suck serious monkeys for dinner, bed, and breakfast.

God, I did a cyborg scorpion once, had all the back-history stacked away, written during my sojourn in Iceland...

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well then brainstorm tech type themes.

Level 3
report.gif
How about female version of some male heroes in warcaft?.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Ok, how about this: adding cyborg limbs/elements to a normal unit in warcraft, but not just like that scorpion. It could be something like this:
- A gnoll with four robotic legs that walks around like Doctor Octopus
- A human ship with two added robotic arms all armed with massive cannons
- Two furbolgs and an archer fused into one metal beast
etc..
It could be a little tricky with animations though...

Status
Not open for further replies.