• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ideas for Modeling Competition #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well, lets hear them people. I plan on starting up the next one sometime this week. If we can come up with a good theme, that is.

And I don't plan on a pack idea this time, I think it should be a single model.

Either way, all ideas are welcomed.

Level 32
This winning thread has served its purpose and is no longer useful in the Contest Submission forum.

I have cleaned the thread and moved it: Chriz. please let me know when you are ready to have it moved back in order to solicit ideas for Modeling Competition #4.

~ Thread moved to Contest Archive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well guys, what'll it be for #3?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I was actually thinking of that before. But I think for that I'd make a separate contest.

Level 32
SFX would make a good Mini-Contest (IMO). For this contest we need something COLOSSAL. How's about a model that is kind of rare like an airship or some unusual building type? (Unless you guys want to keep the Modeling Competitions limited strictly to Heroes.)

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

SFX would make a good Mini-Contest (IMO).

Great idea, I might start that one up sometime in the near future.

Okay guys, brainstorm with buildings, I like the sound of it.

Level 6
Vampires? alltought i want hero competition with subject vampires :)

Vampires? alltought i want hero competition with subject vampires :)

Vampires can be large variety in models too you can make animal vampires, non animal vampires, bats etc..

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I don't like buildings. All you'll get is a "bunch of piled up primitives" as I like to call them. There should be something more complex, that actually involves modeling. But the thing is there are only a few skilled people who actually know how to model (with real tools) here and we'll lose the geomergers...So a balance must be found between complexity and the level of the majority of users...Maybe something not for wc3, just to test the skill, but again we'll lose a lot of people...god damn it's hard...Maybe go for buildings as long as they're complex, not just a box with a texture ripped from a photo. Something gothic or arabic or something complex anyway, and very very detailed.

Why are then so few buildings in models section? Probably not because is not so easy to make those "bunch of piled up primitives". All people I see entering these kind of contests are experienced modellers and they will not make a pile of bunched primitives. And geomerges can be also be innovative and well done. We should focus on something more useful in maps and not "LUK /\/\3h ZOMG ub0r pWnZ0rZ 1337 modle u n00bz" which are completely useless. :bored:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
flying citadel...I like the sound of that. And Mechanical Man, buildings are actually that easy to make.
Oh and please no more warcraft related shit...I mean make models for wc3, but not warcraft related. That's what modding actually is, making it different than the original game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Why not just a citadel? Up to the person to decide what it should look like.

That could merit some massive entries.

And I believe it should require proper building animations for implementation in Warcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Actually, one could most likely make his Citadel a massive airship, in theory, just as a building rather than a combat unit. Or it could be both.

I think I'm going to start the next one in a second here, any objections to Citadels?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

The standard building animations, Birth, Death, Decay, Portrait, Stand, Stand Work, and possible upgrades perhaps?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Actually, one could most likely make his Citadel a massive airship, in theory, just as a building rather than a combat unit. Or it could be both.

Go ahead and make your airship, just make sure it's mainly a building, but perhaps with a liftoff animation where it can move, like the Tree of Life. That's actually a REALLY neat idea...I want to do it now.

I'm making the contest, stay tuned.

Here we go! http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=257406#post257406

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Okay guys, the big four. Lets hear them.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

No, what a waste of space. This is just the constantly updating model competition brainstorm thread.

Level 8
I suggest Organic Buildings.

I have seen next-to-no models at all of organic buildings, and I belive they would be incredibly usefull for all kinds of non-tech races (ex. Insects [Hive-Colony-Queen]) I think that the models, while they might not be used very much due to specialization, would be a great thing to have a competition on. Because the buildings are organic you can have any level of creativity due to the adaptive nature of... nature. Plus I think it would be... challenging!

Level 8
Meshes "smooth" out that problem. [hehe]
Well it was just a suggestion to challenge anyone looking for a... challenge.

Level 8
I know, I was thinking of Zerg at first, people could do their own genetic strains of Zerg buildings for differing purposes

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Naga would be interesting, but the options for animations to use would be very low. Only the custom animators could really make something decent.

Level 23
Animating a naga would be hell as it is; the snake tail, I doubt that most of our small community of animators really have experience with that kind of thing.

I'd warn against the Draenei too, because their skeletal structure is hell. Proper MDL editing on their animation set is nigh-on impossible.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

How about something like "Magic User"?

Then people can really go wild with creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.