• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #18 - Poll

Choose the best entry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_icon-png.311495
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
8-png.311481

excic-18_img-png.330511

thread_poll-png.311518

Contestants are to choose an ingame unit and give him hero abilities.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_entries-png.311509

Participant
EntryLink to Final Entry Post

Mr. Goblin

(Forest Troll Shadow Priest)
doll-png.332154
staff-png.332155
toadpoison2-png.332156
vodorage-png.332157
Link

Murlocologist

(Goblin Shredder)
btnignis-png.333396
atc-png.333397
pasharvest-png.333398
btnoverload-png.333399
Link

The Leader

(Revenant)
295754-d50310e349208fb3aa42019be0cb9812.jpg
295755-42401e5a3845144bd269c80ca493224b.jpg
295756-1188a4662f25d1e4a198c69c2d25ba59.jpg
295757-5e540d4fb37cc187e7041652b628a89c.jpg
Link

PrinceYaser

(Chaplain)
btnpurification-png.333495
btnsanctifiedenchantment-png.333496
btndivineclarity-png.333497
btnrighteousblessing-png.333498
Link

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 50 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 35 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 20 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning entries will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• The_Panda

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Consistency of the icons in the pack
Do the icons compliment each other well?/10

Blizzard style
Is the style similar to standard icons?/10

Concept
How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for chosen unit?/25

Technical note
Quality of color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials./55

• Judgement: 75%
  • Poll: 25%
other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on 26th September 2019 and conclude on 9th October 2019 GMT (day is included).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Had to vote for Mr. Goblin's Forest Troll Shadow Priest; while no one really hit the full "Warcraft-y" mark for me personally, his was close &v I love Trolls. : ) I also loved the Shredder ones, though.

Thanks to Murlocologist for setting up the thread.

Level 38
Voodoo Doll is an incredible icon, and imo Mr. Goblin wins it on that one alone. I like what Murlocologist was going for and they have the 'old' wc3 style, but... the icons seem kind of cluttered/unclear/hard to decipher. I think it's a saturation thing where they're all too colorful and no one bit is highlighted to draw my attention to it. Props to The Leader for entering but they feel kind of uninspired and suffer from the same lack of clarity as the shredder icons, just on the other side of the saturation spectrum (too monochrome). Prince Yaser has good command of the saturation and the color comboes are well done, but somehow they don't feel 'warcraft-y'? I like Sanctified Enchantment but Righteous Blessing lacks clarity (those are hands on the shoulders?) and Divine Clarity sticks out a lot (feels unfinished).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This looks like a 2 way race between Mr. Goblin and Murlocologist in my opinion. Both produced work with good art quality and they do appear Warcraft III like.

The Leader icons are very blurry and crude, even by Warcraft III standards. I would suggest a thinner brush or higher resolution canvas.

PrinceYaser are certainly well drawn. However in my opinion they are out of style with Warcraft III. They might be in style with World of Warcraft but I have not played that so cannot tell. Many custom map makers would certainly be happy to use them.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Basically what Pyrogasm and Dr Super Good wrote.

PrinceYaser's stuff has uniqueness in style and colours but pinpointing those icons exactly to a unit is ambiguous since they fit to many.
The Leader's stuff is not only blurry but the icons themselves follow the same trend and perspective.
Murlocologist's stuff is neat but he went for too many details thus making most of the icons indistinguishable.
Mr Dot Goblin's stuff stands out the most, details but not too many, quite close to Warcraft III (but that shouldn't necessary be a bonus or a plus); some icons are not really that understandable possibly because of the distance from the/size of the objects. Also, the thematic is cliche.

Level 10
I gave my vote for Mr. Goblin's entry, because the concept is nice, maybe something like that you can see in other games etc, but the execution is well done for Forest Troll Shadow Priest. Wonderful work, that's how can I describe his entry, briefly!

Murlocologist's entry is also outstanding, however the overdetailing have influenced my decision, for whom to cast my vote. To be honest, his entry has a very high chance to win, as it is seen the quality of icons and I don't doubt that these fit properly, ingame.

PrinceYaser's entry is interesting and remarkable, I could say that the choice of Chaplain is suitable for contest. Icons are good, attractive for eye, a balance maintained in details, but just a little thing is missing in these wonderful works and I really don't know what, specifically.

I wish good luck to every contestant and may the best entry win!

Level 10
Thank you for your review, @WolfFarkas , if you don't mind, I'd like to point out some things, maybe it could help others to evaluate my entry as a possible choice to be voted.

"-First Icon: a hammer but I didnt see the grip at first, , then I remembered the main weapon of the revenant, so a melee attack improve. (I guess the weapon and attack improve,)."

• Maybe that's not one of my best icons and as you say "note is a common thing passive skills goes in the third position, not in the first," I posted my icons in order I've made them, maybe you and other find this thing a bit confusing, but that's a matter of presentation, you can download and use in-game as you want, that's not a problem and I don't think this is a point which is relevant to present as a defect of mine.

"-Third: frozen shield, defensive spell (for a shield I would have think in a defensive skill or aura at first more than a curse spell)"

• I've made this icon as a result of my ideas and, of course, respecting rules of the contest. I took out the "defensive look" of the shield and made it "offensive", so what does that mean? The answer is that I used imagination and was trying to be creative and came to this concept of a spell for Revenant, an unexpected, unusual, perhaps not a very special one.

Level 29
Thank you for your review, @WolfFarkas , if you don't mind, I'd like to point out some things, maybe it could help others to evaluate my entry as a possible choice to be voted.

"

• Maybe that's not one of my best icons and as you say "note is a common thing passive skills goes in the third position, not in the first," I posted my icons in order I've made them, maybe you and other find this thing a bit confusing, but that's a matter of presentation, you can download and use in-game as you want, that's not a problem and I don't think this is a point which is relevant to present as a defect of mine.

• I've made this icon as a result of my ideas and, of course, respecting rules of the contest. I took out the "defensive look" of the shield and made it "offensive", so what does that mean? The answer is that I used imagination and was trying to be creative and came to this concept of a spell for Revenant, an unexpected, unusual, perhaps not a very special one.

Thank you for your review

I already fully regret posting here and deleted my post.

"Maybe that's not one of my best icons and as you say"

-I never said that, my mind can be slow to understand the icon, it took me a lot to see the red frog, and thats my favorite icon, thats my fault not yours.

"but that's a matter of presentation
I don't think this is a point which is relevant to present as a defect of mine."

-Yes it was a matter of presentation just to follow WC3.
I never said it was a bad thing, it has nothing to do with the quality skill of the icons (colors, shades, contrast, idea), .

I took out the "defensive look" of the shield and made it "offensive", so what does that mean?

- , I was just playing a game with myself, If I could guess the icon use, it was a game, not a review, and I said it was subjetive and should not be used as guide to cast a vote. I said to the entry I voted, that I could never guess a healer skill from a skull, but that doesnt mean the icon is not great, because that skull icon is great.

"maybe it could help others to evaluate my entry as a possible choice to be voted."

I deleted my post, if you still want to quote me, is not my problem.

Last edited:
Only one judge? I guess would be better to have at least one more.

About the entries, well.. I think none of us could properly execute the special Wc3 SFX style for abilities.

Starting with myself; sitting here and observing.. I'm not sure why I did the effects wrongly in my own icons, perhaps because none of them were suitable shaped for that kind of SFX. Yeah, most probably.

You know, Wc3 SFX has a style composed of circular/spiral and special shaped lines, dots, cuts and bright line with a good contrast and balanced saturation. None could execute this in my opinion.

But looking on the artistic side, which is usually more important for me, Mr.Goblin takes the cake in my opinion. The Voodoo Doll especially is great!

Good luck, everyone!

Level 10
Thank you for your review

I already fully regret posting here and deleted my post.

"Maybe that's not one of my best icons and as you say"

-I never said that, my mind can be slow to understand the icon, it took me a lot to see the red frog, and thats my favorite icon, thats my fault not yours.

"but that's a matter of presentation
I don't think this is a point which is relevant to present as a defect of mine."

-Yes it was a matter of presentation just to follow WC3.
I never said it was a bad thing, it has nothing to do with the quality skill of the icons (colors, shades, contrast, idea), .

I took out the "defensive look" of the shield and made it "offensive", so what does that mean?

- , I was just playing a game with myself, If I could guess the icon use, it was a game, not a review, and I said it was subjetive and should not be used as guide to cast a vote. I said to the entry I voted, that I could never guess a healer skill from a skull, but that doesnt mean the icon is not great, because that skull icon is great.

"maybe it could help others to evaluate my entry as a possible choice to be voted."

I deleted my post, if you still want to quote me, is not my problem.

Oh, I think you've misunderstood me. I said that icon is not one of my best works, "and as you say" refers to something else, in my phrase.

I just saw an oportunity to do something about my entry and in an indirect way, you helped me, that's why I thanked you, mate.

Just a friendly piece of advice: don't take the words of someone too seriously, analyse with caution the situation in which you are involved. :peasant-wink:

Last edited:
Level 29
Oh, I think you've misunderstood me. I said that icon is not one of my best works, "and as you say" refers to something else, in my phrase.

I just saw an oportunity to do something about my entry and in an indirect way, you helped me, that's why I thanked you, mate.

Just a friendly piece of advice: don't take the words of someone too seriously, analyse with caution the situation in which you are involved. :peasant-wink:

sorry for my mistake... I was nervous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.