• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #15 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
upload_2017-7-23_9-51-47.png

upload_2017-7-23_9-52-6.png
upload_2017-7-23_9-52-11.png
upload_2017-7-23_9-52-16.png
upload_2017-7-23_9-52-21.png
upload_2017-7-23_9-52-26.png

upload_2017-7-23_9-52-50.png

First Place
~Nightmare

Second Place
San

Third Place
Edge45

upload_2017-7-23_9-54-10.png

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

upload_2017-7-23_9-55-20.png

• The Panda
upload_2017-7-23_9-55-47.png

Consistency
The first 2 icons match good, but the 3rd doesn’t really go with the “shooter” “ rifle” theme your going for as it seems like a magician and the hawk in the background doesn’t seem to match the rile theme. The last icon is nice, it would be nice if it was reddish or yellowish too match the color scheme. It would be nice if all the icons matched in color.7%

Blizzard style
Each icon has a unique blizzard style, colors are high contrast and vibrant. Details are clean and show exactly how the icon works.10%

Theme and creativity
Icons are very unique and creative, But there are some areas that need changed. The icon with the magician or mage character needs to be defined. It doesn’t really seem to match the rifleman theme, Also the hawk in the background is very confusing, i am not sure what that represents. The rest of the icons seem to have a nice creative theme and goes well with the rifleman feel towards his abilities.19%

Technical note

Colors - 5
Composition - 5
Expressiveness, Shape - 3
Definition, Sharpness, Clarity - 10
Shading - 10
Realism, Proportions - 9
Rendering, Details, Materials - 10

Note: All icons are vibrant and the colors pop out great. The shape of each icon is perfect and they are very sharp and not blurry. Each icon given shows what the icon does or will do in game, they also are very defined and are very specific on the rifleman character. The details in each icon are fantastic, highlights are placed well, and positioning is on point.
52%

San

Consistency
These icons match together well, the colors are very vibrant and contrasted. The colors match each icon and each of them compliment each other well. Each icon shows what the icon is needed for and shows what the unit can do for abilities. The icon shown that has the creature and his tentacles flaying could be defined a bit more to show and match the other icons in the group. 8%

Blizzard style
The last icon that shows "Poison" being shot out of the creatures mouth is very much blizzard style, as is the icon with the purple mouth, it reminds me of blizzard style icons. The sword icon and the ATC (Autocast) icon seem very well made but doesn't really show off the blizzard style.7%

Theme and creativity
The theme used in these 4 icons is showing off what the unit or creature used by the artist well. Each icon shows a purple hue and matches all 4 together, some icons are detailed and are very sharp, some are very choppy and could use some smooth shading. Creativity in these 4 icons are unique, the ATC icon doesn't really show whats happening expect a creature and its tentacles, It would be nice if you added something else that shows what that icon represents. The rest of the 3 icons do have proper representation of what they do. 17%

Technical note

Colors - 5
Composition - 3
Definition, Sharpness, Clarity - 7
Shading - 7
Realism, Proportions - 8
Rendering, Details, Materials - 8

Note: The colors presented are very high contrast and they all match each other perfectly. The colors could be less saturated and some spots need some highlights. A few of these icons could be shaped better and defined. The sword icon with the purple goo could be defined a bit more too show how the goo has got onto the sword or showing some better effect than what is presented. The details are nice, the last icon that shows green poison is very well done and the shading and highlights are spot on. The rest of the 3 icons details could be edited more, or could be defined more too give more of a blizzard type style. The subject here represents a creature and its abilities and alot of points where covered here and some could use a bit more updating.
41%

Edge45

Consistency
Each icon stated by this artist show what the unit or character does as abilities. These icons are very well represented together with the unit they have created for. All 4 icons work well together and show what they are as abilities. The only thing i see wrong is the last icon that shows claws being slashed at an enemy, the colors could be re done and the shading and highlights could be defined a bit more. 8%

Blizzard style
The blizzard style here is very well executed, the first 3 icons are put together well. The shape of each 3 icons shown, are nicely made and they match together as a whole. The last icon that has the claws in it needs to be improved and defined better. The colors need to be changed to match the other 3 icons, and it isn't really well made to fit the whole group of icons here.8%

Theme and creativity
These 4 icons work well together and are very creative for the unit given. The ideas are very creative and it shows the theme of a "Wolf" unit in the game. Quality in these 4 icons are a nice concept showing what the wolf can do in battle, each icon has a unique flavor and style showing off what the unit can do. Like i said above, the last icon with the claws could be defined more and possibly add a more creative feel towards it.18%

Technical note

Colors - 3
Composition - 5
Definition, Sharpness, Clarity - 8
Shading - 8
Realism, Proportions - 9
Rendering, Details, Materials - 8

Note: The colors show in these icons are very nice and are very smooth and not so saturated or high contrasted. The shape and proportions of each icon are very well put and positioned very well. The only thing i see with shape and positioning is the last claw icon, could use more definition and positioning, the colors could be defined also. Shading on these 4 icons are really well made and the highlights are where they need to be, they are well executed. Except, for the claw icon because it could a bit more definition like i stated before.
44%

Arowanna

Consistency
The icons you have presented match together well, there are a bunch of green hues here that match each other perfectly. Some things i think should be edited is the last icon with the lightning bolt, it needs more definition. This also goes for the icon with the foot of the dragon, this needs defining on the ground area that the foot is touching. It seems very un-done and choppy, it needs more texture added towards it.7%

Blizzard style
The scales icon seems very like blizzards style of icons, and so is the icon with the dragons mouth. These 2 compliment each other well and show exactly what they are. The other 2 icons with the dragons foot and the lightning bolt, they need alot of defining and reworks. They do not seem very blizzard style and may need some more editing.5%

Theme and creativity
Green and lightish green hues are nice here, the theme all together shows a dragon and his abilities. The creativity shown is decent, but i feel like it could be alot more added towards these icons. Some icons like the lightning bolt doesn't really show a dragon unit, it would be nice if you added that bolt to come out of the dragons mouth area. The foot icon could use more detail and maybe a rough ground terrain under neath the foot, with the ground cracking.16%

Technical note

Colors - 3
Composition - 3
Definition, Sharpness, Clarity - 6
Shading - 6
Realism, Proportions - 6
Rendering, Details, Materials - 6

Note: Colors in these icons are nice, but could be a little bit brighter and smoothed out more. Some colors are pale and could use touching up. The shape could also be defined and adjusted some each icon can be matched and go with the overall group. I believe all 4 icons need to be defined more and edited more. The sharpness isn't really good in some icons presented, the shading needs to be cleaned up and smoothed in spots. Details need to be cleaned or added to some of these icons. Overall i think the lightning bolt could be used with the dragons mouth icon, so he is shooting the bolt out. Also, i think the icon with the dragons foot could use a textured ground floor below the foot that has a cracked dirt type flooring towards it.
33%

Abovegame

Consistency
These icons are not consistent with each other at all, they need alot of work too match one another and lots of defining work. Keeping a nice consistency with all 4 icons is too keep a nice color chart and making each icon go with each other, keeping the icons looking like abilities and for the unit you have chosen.2%

Blizzard style
The icons presented aren't blizzard style, they need immense improvements too each other. Lots of defining and care needs to be done.2%

Theme and creativity
The theme here isn't very good, some of these icons i cant really tell what is happening at all. Only one of these i can see that its a explosion, and the rest is just random. They need lots of editing and redoing some of the positioning.5%

Technical note

Colors - 1
Composition - 1
Expressiveness, Shape - 1
Definition, Sharpness, Clarity - 1
Shading - 1
Realism, Proportions - 1
Rendering, Details, Materials - 1

Note:
The colors presented do not match at all together but that doesn't really help when everything needs to be defined and edited alot more. Shapes needs improvements, and the shading also could use some work here. Details and materials used here, have to be updated and reworked tremendously. Overall, all 4 icons need some more love and care to become a group of abilities for the unit chosen.
7%

Nightmare~
Consistency of the icons in pack: 7/10
Blizzard style: 10/10
Theme and Creativity: 19/25
Technical Note: 52/55
Theme and Creativity: 17/25
Technical Note: 41/55
Theme and Creativity: 18/25
Technical Note: 44/55
Theme and Creativity: 16/25
Technical Note: 33/55
Theme and Creativity: 5/25
Technical Note: 7/55

Contestant
Poll Score + Judge scoreResult Score

Abovegame
0.633 + 1212.633

Arowanna
4.430 + 45.7550.180

Edge45
5.063 + 58.563.563

~Nightmare
4.747 + 6670.747

San
10.127 + 54.7564.877

Note: Technical Note scoring table
/5 colors
/5 composition
/5 expressiveness, shapes
/10 definition, sharpness, clarity
/10 shading
/10 realism, proportions
/10 rendering, details, materials

/55

Contest Thread
Poll Thread

Last edited:
Level 50
Well, for this contest I restructured the judging table so that the majority of points (technical note) should be, as much as it is possible, objective criticism on technical quality of icons (55 points). It would be ideal if there were 3 judges for all contests we have, but nowadays we can't even get enough participants, even with completely open themes like this one was.

I suggest a mod move the discussion to Site
Discussion.
Then we can return to this contest when we've reached a conclusion.
I think that it can stay safely here. After all anything related to the contest is relevant and should stay for documenting purpose.

Edit: Apparently not. Spawned discussion can be found here.

Thread was cleaned as a consequence and everything related to said discussion has been transferred over to the new thread. Do continue there. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.