• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #14 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums7436-picture85973.png

icon.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
4.png

results.png

Seven%20Deadly%20Sins.jpg

Seven Deadly Sins
Contestants are required to draw four out of seven deadly sins (gluttony, lust, wrath, greed, pride, sloth and envy) - and you can draw them either in the form of abilities, or items. You can draw more than four icons and represent all seven of them, but your overall score will not increase. Note that whichever option you go for, the icons must represent the selected sin in an interesting and creative enough ways.

contest%20judging.png

Archer01

Blizzard Feeling 1/10
No sort of in-game feeling to these. They all lack proper pose, depth, shading and sharpness.
The sorts of which would've helped them to fit with the in-game icons well.

Theme 2/20
While the initiative is appreciated, these icons simply don't work well with the sins chosen.
They lack work in order to make them seem on theme.

Creativity 5/35
I can see some work put in to achieve something new. Still far from being easily unique.

Technical Note 1/35
You're in dire need of some exercise, reading art tutorials om how to properly draw, assess shape, add depth and shades.
The effort is greatly thanked either way.

Total 9/100

-----------------

Edge45

Blizzard Feeling 6/10
A common ground for your icons seem to be the lack of genuine shadows and light sources. These two aspects are quite important for icons to fit in with the ladder ones.
Pride and Wrath icons lack these two greatly, to such an extent that they certainly do not look promising on the Blizzard feeling.
Better shading, highlights and volumes are needed in order to achieve an acceptable feel.

Theme 12/20
Gluttony is indeed well portrayed here. I just feel that there's a slight inconsistency with that represented beak all over the meat. It needs clearer shape.
Now, the greed one is quite good. I just think that the jewelry is a bit too underwhelming in therms of volume and a bit of cliche.
Well done on the Pride icon, I just think that the monochromatic thematic is a bit too much to the extent of making it almost non-existent. Also, the expression of the bird needs more love.
I am not sure if Wrath is what I see and feel here. It makes me think twice before deciding what this actually represents. It needs more clarifying in quantitative shapes and complementary colors.
All in all, these icons do well in the variety department but lack in complementary level.

Creativity 27/35
Gluttony is well depicted and creativity factor is thought after here. Although I do think that the vulture thematic is a bit overdone. I like it nonetheless.
The originality in this Greed icon is fairly simple, nothing too much of a hassle. I do like the glow and rather small details on the jewels.
Lovely pride icon. I like the whole look. The color palette makes it kinda weak on the originality meter and has a bit of a lazy attempt at showing genuine bird look.
This is obviously the weakest link. It is rushed and overly dodges on the edges. Color variety could've helped by miles.

Technical Note 19/35
I will make it simple and clear. Overall, the icons lack that glitter that icons should have by default.
Stronger shapes, clearer proportions, pose and anatomy. The first two have that uncanny glow(rim light attempt) that's slightly brighter and wider than it should.
It almost 'melts' the shapes. Light source in the last two icons is somewhat confusing and throws off the viewer.

Total 64/100

-----------------

MarcosDAB

Blizzard Feeling 7/10
While all your icons with the rage icon, more or less, have a well made feeling to them, they tend to looks less Blizzard-like and more realistic.
I do care much about your icons but they don't fit in well in-game. They're not very sharp and crisp with some cartoonish elements like the vanilla icons.

Theme 18/20
All these icons portray the respective intended feeling well, all but the rage one. It seems to me that that one is depicting a sayan from DBZ series than a rage feeling.
It lacks some face expressions for that to happens. The rest are all fine, even the greedy one with its cliche appearance.
Generally, all were on point and depicted the thematic good.

Creativity 32/35
Lovely, each and one of these icons. But, as with the previous two factors I've explained, the rage is rather boring and lacks some depth.

Technical Note 34/35
Well done. I just think that all these could've used more textural work on the features and more sharpness.
Otherwise, you did good, very good. I like your art.

Total 91/100

-----------------

~Nightmare

Blizzard Feeling 10/10
All but the gluttony icon fit finely with the in-game icons made by Blizzard. They're sharp, crisp and overall detailed.
The Gluttony is just a no-go. It seems more like something out of DotA than wc3. Still good though.

Theme 18/20
With the exception of Gluttony, all these depict the intended emotions well. The rage may look too crisp but it does the job.
Pride is a bit too mainstream but does suffice for the emotion.
Lust is my favorite. The simple womanly shape does portray the sin in a rather straight-forward manner that leaves no room for error.
They are well thought of and depicted great.

Creativity 30/35
Gluttony is a bit boring, with something that anyone could've thought of.
Lust is finely made and depicts the sin simply. Lovely one.
Rage was depicted fine but it does contain too much sharpness that throws the viewer off if looked at for longer periods of time.
Pride is my choice in this case. It is simple, depicted nicely in a kingly manner that attracts the viewer.

Technical Note 29/35
Good job all in all. The icons were done in a crisp and detailed fashion, portraying each of them in a recognizable way.
Some better than others, of course. Good job ~Nightmare.

Total 87/100

-----------------

San

Blizzard Feeling 7/10
Some of your icons lack a bit of blur while others leave for some sharpening to be added plus more features added.
These factors are on the downside of things for these good icons.

Theme 15/20
Thematic and contest approach was finely visioned. The Gluttony is well done, while it may be rather simple, it depicts the sin in straight terms, easily recognizable.
As strange as this is, the rage sin is very lovely. Like an undead ready to burst through ranks. However, it is too blurry. Needs some sharpening and clearing up.
The pride represented by the crown, as recognizable as it may be, lacks more detail.
The last one left me wondering what it truly represents.

Creativity 28/35
You sure did rush them, or at least it looks that way to me. Most lack better textural work and detailing on various spots.
I like the rage icon and the gluttony. Pride does drag this factor a lot though. It was done before and it will surely be done in the future as well.
Looking up on the internet for more references would surely help your cause.

Technical Note 25/35
San, I love your technique much, but in this contest what you normally do with your icons, you forgot to work on.
These seems a bit sketchy and lacks proper highlights, depth, shape and pose. Keep on working more on these if possible.

Total 75/100

-----------------

The_Silent

Blizzard Feeling 8/10
What your works here seem to cry for are either proper sharpness, clearer form or depth.
Those are important factor to make them fit properly in-game. However, the rest that have those look nicely in-game when compared to vanilla icons.

Theme 19/20
I liked pretty much every of them. You've done well with the icons.
I especially like the Gluttony sin that you depicted there. While it may appear a bit unclear, it is the best from these. Envy is not that bad, it's just that it's quite rushed and looks more like shame.
You have an interesting approach at thematic depictions when it comes to icons. I love that.

Creativity 30/35
Pride seems the most creative along with Gluttony. They're just on another level compared to the others.
Greed depicts the sin in a well made way that also would depict some societies well.
Envy, as previously mentioned, seems more like shame but aside from that, the pose provides a good in-sight of what we're supposed to get from it.
Done with flying colors, if I may add.

Technical Note 22/35
What you add with creativity and theme, you lack with technique. All your icons need further depth, shading and wider area light sources.
The Envy icon shows that well. On a brighter note, the Gluttony shows some innovation. That, I like much.

Total 79/100

===Archer01===

Blizzard Feeling 1/10
It seems you didn't even try at reproducing's blizzard's artstyle. I see no shadows, no highlights, no real proper framing or the right use of the colour sheme... not much I can say. :S

Theme 5/20
Beside gluttony, I don't understand any of the others. I'm sorry. Although, you seemd to respect your own artstyle and colour pallette through your 4 icons, have to give you credit for that.

Creativity 3/35
Just like I said in the ''Theme'' section = I don't understand much of your icons, I can't proprely judge you on that. Although you went for

Technical Note 3/35
... well I can see there's faces and hands... and that's about that.

Total 12/100

I'm glad you gave it a try and joined the icons competition, but I would really like you to try harder next time and jump into drawing highlights and shadows.

-----------------

===Edge45===

Blizzard Feeling 6/10
Some icons seems to work better then others when it comes to reproducing's blizzard's art direction. The colours worked well though. I think you dived to much into details and your shadows were way to dark to fully succed at reproducing's blizzard art direction.

Theme 17/20
The theme is well respected through the birds... it seemd to work well with the various deadly sins.

Creativity 24/35
Love the idea of using birds to illustrate the theme, although I don't think it worked to well for the theme. But then again, it was quite a hard theme to be creative with! I admire the fact you tried something different then the others by doing something more demonic etc.

Technical Note 22/35
You seem to struggle a lot with your contrast, your shadows are to darks, your highlights seems to light, and the glowing effects blends to much with the rest as well. I would suggest studying some of the blizzard's artists work, look at them in Black and white and see what I mean when it comes to icon making. Overal, some icons were more well executed then others while others were more easy to read and understand... I think you've made the mistake of doing all the icons apart from each other without concidering the bigger picture.

Total 69/100

-----------------

===MarcosDAB===

Blizzard Feeling 5/10
Beside the black BG, you went with your own artistic style, can't give you to much points in this cathegory I'm afraid. Although, you choose to illustrate the various sins in close-ups that are very blizzard like.

Theme 18/20
You did a great job in this cathegory, compare to the others, you respected your own theme through the 4 icons. Kudos to that, although I can't give you a perfect score because the dude's hair being on fire doesn't seem to work to well with the rest.

Creativity 32/35
Great illustrations, love how you framed every sins. Love how you didn't go overboard with the details and the information you tried to portrait, you took complicated concepts and turned it into icons that are easy to understand and read. Kudos.

Technical Note 30/35
Not much to say here, great shading, nice framing, nice shapes and forms etc. Nice rendering. Can't be too picky when it comes to icon making... 64px by 64px is quite the challenge to make clear and pretty illustrations.

Total 85/100

-----------------

===~Nightmare===

Blizzard Feeling 7/10
Your colour palette is good, the way you frame the image as well, very blizzard like, the Black Background is a plus. You're not jumping into the details to much which is great, although your shadows seems quite to dark for the blizzard feel. You lack subtility in your values.

Theme 13/20
I can't give you to much because as much as you portrayed well every sins, they don't seem to follow a common theme between theme. you seemed to have only illustrated the sins without trying to make them fit with each others.

Creativity 23/35
Same goes for creativity you seemed to have took the easy road to illustrate the sins. Although your glutonny is a nice touch. But overall I'll still give you points for going for a more wild colour theme. Using the purple face for vanity, choosing to only go for a silhouette for lust etc. there's a few interresting ideas going on there.

Technical Note 30/35
Overall, you did a good job. Although I would suggest studying your values because your highlights are to bright and your shadows are to dark. Your proportions seems a tad off too. But good job none the less.

Total 73/100

-----------------

===San===

Blizzard Feeling 6/10
The way you framed the icons, the black BG, the use of colours, overall you seemed to have picked the blizzard feel well, especially for the skull.

Theme 17/20
You portrayed well the deadly sins, I also love the fact you sticked to your own theme with your silhouettes for each icons. Although not all your icons seemed to have the same amount of polish.

Creativity 25/35
You took the easy road to illustrate the deadly sins. :S Although I will give you credit for going for silhouettes and to have choose 4 distinct colour pallettes for each icons.

Technical Note 27/35
Some icons are hard to read more then others, some seems to be to detailed or not detailed enough, the lack of highlights and shadows makes it harder to judge aswell.... but! we easily understand what you illustrated which is a +.... meeh overal, you did a good job, but I would suggest to work as much on every icons next competition. What you did with your burning skull is GREAT!

Total 75/100

-----------------

===The_Silent===

Blizzard Feeling 5/10
If it was a warcraft2 competition you would have scored highly in this cathegory :D. You respect Blizzard's framing, the black BG, and the amount of details they used as well for their icon, although you went for icons that seems to desaturated for a warcraft3 icons. + there's no shadows and your higlights are too strong.

Theme 14/20
I don't feel like there's a common theme between your four icons although they portray well the deadly sins.

Creativity 25/35
For me you also took the easy road to illustrate the deadly sins. Although, I would give you points for how you framed the various sins and the compositions of every icons.

Technical Note 20/35
Your icons seems flat due to the lack of shadows and highlights + not all your icons seemed to have got the same attention when it comes to rendering, some seemed to lack details from one to an other. The lack of variation in the colouring also makes it flat. I would suggest adding a tad of red on the nose and cheaks, adding more orange in the highlights of the coins etc. Although, we can read your icons well, so good job on that!

Total 64/100

Archer01
Blizzard feeling: 1/10
Your icons are in a very early WIP state. There is no question of any kind of style.
I can't pronounce about Blizzard feeling in their actual state.
Only the color choice can count a bit, if i can say so.
Theme: 5/20
Although your subjects aren't accurately represented, one can presume what each icon is about.
So, the theme is partially followed.
Creativity: 2/35
Nothing creative. A very common approach.
Technical note: 3/35
Like i said, your icons are in a very early stage. They need more work.
Given your current drawing abilities, i appreciate and i understand your effort.
I encourage you to continue to experience drawing, but, in order to succeed, you have to learn certain things.
I would advise you to read some 2D tutorials and practice.
Total: 11/100

Observe things, play around sketching and experimenting. Drawing skills come with practice.
----------------------

Edge45
Blizzard feeling: 7/10
You're on the right way, but i think the icons lack that strong definition and dynamism specific to the Blizzard style. Though, the vivacity conferred by the colors is a plus.
Theme: 17/20
The theme is quite well followed and the chromatic palette completes it well.
A varied set of colorful icons.
Creativity: 23/35
An interesting approach to the contest theme, using birds.
Finding a resemblance between human sins and birds' behavior is both creative and unique in a way. Although it isn't something unseen.
Technical note: 20/35
Good amount of details everywhere, though the wrath icon could use some more, and some of them could be emphasized better.
Good usage of space.
The colors are fitting well with the subjects and present enough variation.
Regarding the perspective, the wrath stands out a bit from the others(more common views).
You shaded them somewhat, but still need improvements. The shading is too diminished in some places and this affects both - the clarity and the 3D feeling.
To point out some things:
-the glow and the fire look too solid, in the first icon
-more focus on the condor's head, especially on the beak - which is blending with the meat too much
-those precious things could use better shading
-the peacock's head needs to stand out more from his tail and the heads' features could be more visible
-some speedline(for example) added to the wrath effect could increase the level of details and, also, could induce motion
Total: 67/100

As a conclusion, your icons leave me a good impression and if you manage to improve the shading, they will be a great addition.
----------------------

Marcos DAB
Blizzard feeling: 5/10
Your style doesn't quite fit Blizzard's(vibrant colors, strong enough contrast).
Your shades are too shy and the colors less vivid. But your subjects are fairly well framed and not crowded with details.
Theme: 17/20
All the icons match the chosen theme.
Good enough variety.
However, you could've chose a more interesting angle/perspective for the wrath icon.
Creativity: 19/35
Not too creative, they are practically generic representations.
Not much fantasy and symbolism in there.
Technical note: 32/35
Fair amount of details, nicely drawn and well defined. Only the wrath could have even sharper details and more consistent hair color.
Good usage of the space.
I don't want to say that the bg is a must, but sometimes it could be preferable instead of pitch black.
A consistent style and a suitable color scheme that create a cohesive feel.
A bit more vibrant colors wouldn't have hurt, though.
Your subjects are clear and well drawn.
Shadows and lights are in the right places, yet the shading could be a bit stronger.
Total: 73/100

Everything is great, but i have the feeling that the icing on the cake is missing.
----------------------

~Nightmare
Blizzard feeling: 7/10
Some of them are more warcraftish than the others.
The wrath icon is kinda desaturated, the pride is kinda too dark and could use some perspective, the lust is the most contrasted, the gluttony with a bit of contrast is there.
The warcraftish aspect isn't constant here.
So, they vary in contrast, saturation and... style, with the gluttony being closest to the warcraft cartoonish look.
Theme: 16/20
Each icon fits pretty well with the selected sin, the theme is followed.
Representing the subjects from different, more expressive angles - could be more interesting than facing them straight, and may result in more diversity.
However, i expected a more consistent style, coz the style ties the works together in some way.
The sin's associated color is present in each of the icons, except the gluttony one.
Creativity: 21/35
I cannot say that you have excelled in creativity.
Wrath screaming, pride grimace, glowing silhouettes, all these are pretty common. The gluttony icon makes the difference.
Technical note: 30/35
Like i said before, you haven't got a constant performance.
The amount of detail varies from one icon to another, the wrath being the most detailed of them(seemingly crowded compared to the gluttony).
The chromatic approach differentiates them again.
In the wrath the color lacks consistency and doesn't follow the tension of the action, it should be more vibrant.
In the pride icon, purple hair & purple skin look kinda boring, lifeless and darkened.
The crown - an important element in the composition and, also, symbolic for the chosen theme - isn't emphasized like it should. The gold seems rather dull than shiny. There isn't enough contrast between bg and fg.
The lust is just great, maybe that yellowish glow is a tad too strong, but it's okay.
About gluttony i can only say that the tongue looks kinda flat( and a bit of contrast wouldn't hurt).
All in all, decent shading and definition, detail level, color variation and space usage.
Total: 74/100

You did a good job, but considering your potential- there's room for improvement.
I advise you to stay true to your style.
----------------------

San
Blizzard feeling: 4/10
The Blizzard atmosphere is kinda missing. Your style differs too much.
Only the wrath is a bit more distinctive.
The colors are there, but only to second the black silhouettes and it isn't sufficient.
Every icon of this set needs well defined forms and this couldn't come out using only pitch black, without any variation and shading.
I think you aimed more for a symbolic representation of the sins, without giving too much weight to the characters in question.
The icons fit their themes well and the color scheme is also matching.
Good variation.
The envy representation is a lil' bit confusing.
Also, i think the wrath icon could have a few other interpretations, a blazing skull or a burning spell, for example.
Creativity: 18/35
Nothing new, something quite generic. But the fact that you managed to approach them in a more symbolic manner, trying to communicate the emotions through your drawings is a step forward for sure.
Technical note: 16/35
Enough details. Though the pride icon could have a more balanced detail distribution.
Ignoring the black silhouettes that are filling a good part of the icons, the space is fairly used.
Good color choice.
More color variation i see in the wrath icon. It seems that you have put more effort in this one. The fire is pretty well represented, but kinda overwhelms that skull.
In the gluttony icon you focused on his tongue, and this is good.
Additionally, those human silhouettes have some anatomical flaws and, apart of that, being in fact unworked surfaces with zero shading, they give a sketchy/unfinished aspect to the icons in question.
I suggest you to work on those black figures, improve their shapes and add shading.
The shading is only partially present in your icons and it is not very accurate. It's very important to shade your drawings.
The worked elements on these icons prove that you have the potential to improve them(the icons) greatly.
Total: 54/100

Despite flaws, i think you succeed to induce the desired atmosphere through your work and this is very positive.
----------------------

The_Silent
Blizzard feeling: 5/10
Not too close to the warcraft style.
Strong shapes, bold colors , large details, high contrast - these describe the warcraft style.
They fit the theme relatively well. Pride and envy leave room for interpretation.
Portraying your characters from different angles and using a wider range of colors could result in more variation.
Though, not too consistent in term of style.
Creativity: 18/35
The envy and pride have a more interesting approach, great idea but not so great execution.
You could've been a bit more creative(more expressive angles, another chromatic approach).
Technical note: 18/35
Good amount of details and space usage.
There are some anatomical flaws, but knowing your possibilities i think you could easily fix them.
In all the icons the definition could be greatly increased by use of shading.
Also, the colors could've been chosen and used more wisely.
One would expect a better focus on the key element of each icon.
The transition from a tonal value to another could be smoother in some parts.
Many details are shown with thick lines, i suggest you to not use thick lines in the details' execution.
The first two icons look more laboriously executed compared to the other two.
In conclusion, more accurate shapes and perspectives, color variation, shading - in other words, a more accurate execution is needed.
I'm sure that your performance would've been much better if you would have persisted more on them.
Total: 57/100

You have enough potential and you have good ideas.
Try to put a little more effort, spend a little more time with your drawings, and the results will not disappoint.

results.png

The calculations are as follows, in descending order:

~Nightmare
(87/100 + 73/100 + 74/100)/3 * 75 + (25/44) * 25 = 72,704

Marcos DAB
(91/100 + 85/100 + 73/100)/3 * 75 + ( 3/44) * 25 = 63,954

San
(75/100 + 75/100 + 54/100)/3 * 75 + ( 5/44) * 25 = 53,840

Edge45
(64/100 + 69/100 + 67/100)/3 * 75 + ( 6/44) * 25 = 53,409

The_Silent
(79/100 + 64/100 + 57/100)/3 * 75 + ( 4/44) * 25 = 52,272

Archer01
( 9/100 + 12/100 + 11/100)/3 * 75 + ( 1/44) * 25 = 8,568​

ic14.png

Congratulations to all participants!
Special thanks to the jury: Heinvers and Mr.Goblin

Contest l Poll

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Congrats to the winners, and to the Judges for their time!

Although the judges seems to have some perspective differences with their opinions. :>
Well, sure; that's the whole idea behind having multiple Judges. However, I have to admit I was surprised by some of the Judging too; a "10/10" should mean that Criteria was "absolutely perfect", but that's not what I see in the description. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.