• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #9 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

icon.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png

results.png

Same Abilities, Different Hero
Recreate 4 icons of existing warcraft hero abilities to better suit a different hero.
Here is the original post of the idea. Mix and match any kind of abilities from different heroes.

You can get a non hero specific abilities such as wind walk or frost nova and change them to something more specific to the new hero

OR

You can get a hero specific abilities such as carrion beetle, impale, resurrection or shockwave to be more specific to the new hero.

Please specify what the race and the class of the hero you are drawing the icon for, such as a gnoll mage or a murloc warrior.

Would be common sense to create at least 1 passive ability icon and 1 ultimate ability icon.

contest%20judging.png

13lackDeath

Creativity: CallToArms was a creative idea. Substituting what appears to be Frostmourne for Bloodlust is a good thing. While TrueSight is somewhat generic, I feel it was done reasonably well. LocustSwarm was pretty well done too in terms of creativity.
8/10

Theme: Icons have a hard time fitting with the chosen model. As for the contest's theme, Truesight makes me think of Truesight, LocustSwarm makes me think of LocustSwarm, but the other two don't make me think of their original icons.
4/10

Blizzard Feeling:
I would be hard pressed to use these with other Blizzard icons. Surprisingly enough, the LocustSwarm icon, the one that stands out the most, would probably fit in the most with other Blizzard icons.
2/10

Technical Note:
I am unclear as to the subject of Bloodlust. TrueSight and CallToArms was done reasonably well, as was LocustSwarm. Seems to be a lot of detail in CallToArms despite the amount of dead space, though.
14/20

Total Score: 28/50

Mr.Goblin

Creativity:
Definitely creative. Charm substitutes the Puppet Master's head, Aerial Shackles uses puppet strings, everything has been done well. I have no idea what happened to Chemical Rage though.
8/10

Theme:
Icons fit perfectly with the Puppet Master. However, these icons do not make me think of the originals at all.
5/10

Blizzard Feeling:
While the icons fit well together, they would have a bit of difficulty fitting in with the Blizzard theme.
6/10

Technical Note:
Level of detail is great, yet it doesn't look too crowded.
18/20

Total Score: 37/50

chr2

Creativity:
A good job was done, making all things Pandaren, although some of the ideas could have been a little more creative.
9/10

Theme:
Icons fit the theme well, as I see how they resemble the icons which they were based on and they fit in with the pandaren brewmaster. I'm a little sceptical of the Avatar, though.
8/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Fits in reasonably well with other blizzard icons.
7/10

Technical Note:
Detail is appropriate, although could be improved in the Avatar icon.
15/20

Total Score: 39/50

-Grendel

Creativity:
Done well, substituting in appropriate imagery for your chosen theme.
9/10

Theme:
Divine Shield and Critical Strike aren't too close to the original icons, but Mirrow Image and Shadowmeld were done reasonably well.
6/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Fits in well with other Blizzard icons, but not the best.
7/10

Technical Note:
Detail is done well, although the Critical Strike icon looks as though it's a little out of place.
16/20

Total Score: 38/50

ʞııɥs

Creativity:
This is done well. Although the ideas themselves aren't terrifically interesting in terms of creativity, the way they are done is very nice.
8/10

Theme:
It is easy to see what these icons are based on on the most part, which is perfect for the theme.
9/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Potentially looks a little out of place in the Blizzard environment, but ultimately fits in well.
8/10

Technical Note:
Detail is done well for the icons, easy to tell what is going on with the subjects.
17/20

Total Score: 42/50

M0rbid

Creativity:
Executed well, given the limitations of the theme this is very creative.
9/10

Theme:
On the most part it is easy to tell what the original icons were, but Reincarnation and Breath of Frost sacrificed a bit off the theme for more creativity. Not too much, though.
8/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Perhaps a little more detailed than most ingame Blizzard icons, but ultimately fits in well.
8/10

Technical Note:
Detail is fairly high, but not too overcrowded. However, I feel as though most of the detail in Reincarnation is a little unnecessary.
15/20

Total Score: 40/50

JollyD

Creativity:
Creative given the constraints of the contest's theme, executed well.
8/10

Theme:
Slam with Knobstick makes me think of the original icon in the style its done, and so does Cripple, but even then they are fairly different. Rage is a similar case, but to a greater extent. Ressurection icon does not make me think of Ressurection at all.
5/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Seems very detailed and clustered for a Blizzard icon.
6/10

Technical Note:
Detail is very high, a little crowded on Ressurection mostly, but otherwise not too overpowering.
13/20

Total Score: 32/50

Marcus Dab

Creativity:
Fairly creative and interesting in design.
7/10

Theme:
Pretty easy to tell what icons these are based on.
8/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Looks a little out of place with other Blizzard icons.
6/10

Technical Note:
Detail is done well, there isn't too much going on that is undesirable, although some of the details may seem somewhat unnecessary.
15/20

Total Score: 36/50

Elainiel

Creativity:
Not the most interesting designs, fairly simplistic.
5/10

Theme:
Very easy to tell what the icons are based on, with the exception of Starfall.
8/10

Blizzard Feeling:
Would most likely fit in well with other Blizzard icons, although the detail may be a little low.
7/10

Technical Note:
Detail isn't terrifically high, TrueShotAura needs to be redone most of all.
12/20

Total Score: 32/50

I3lackDeath
28/50

Creativity: 7/10
Used understandable counterparts to the original icons. Call to arms being undead raising hand to get out of ground, Bloodlust is angry fiery sword and locust swarm is souls. These changes are not extreme but meritable nonetheless. I would have to say, though, Call to arms, being some sort of call towards undeads to wake up out of ground is an interesting icons. Maybe if you had screaming skeletons punch out of the grounds, it would have been more visually informative.

Theme: 6/10
The theme has been followed relatively closely although some of the icon gives mixed messages. The true sight icon, for example, looks more like an ability that has something to do with power or anger, rather than sight. The call to arms could be mistaken for a resurrection spell altough that point is up to the viewer.

Blizzard Feeling: 3/10
Doesnt look very Warcraftish at all. All your icons not looking very consistent doesnt help this either. I guess some of the icons do follow the structure of a Warcraft icon but thats about it.

Technical Note 12/20
The colours are ok. There are two separate colour scheme, the one with the red and the one with the green. The green are even the same hue an d saturation. The objects are reasonably well drawn except that you should have zoomed out on the blood icon so it actually shows a bit more of the object. as it is rather hard to identify what the object is. The hand is also rather dark and messy. Might want to clear off the dark bits a bit more so it becomes wasier to identify the individual fingers a lot more easily. I also do not recognise the shape in the middle of the locust swarm icon.

Mr.Goblin
37/50

Creativity: 8/10
Kudos goes to being the icons that tried to put itself apart from the original icons. Of course, being creative only works if they actually made sense. Clever to use the strings as a shackle, although not really well executed. The rage icon is something different, deciding to show the weapon as well as the face. The other two have deviated a bit too far from the original to a point where they lost the point.

Theme: 3/10
The icons all look like they belong in a set for one unit which is great. However, I cannot really relate one icon back to its Warcraft counterpart. The chemical rage one, I can understand. The mana burn one looks more like some sort of eye related one like true sight. The aerial shackle actually looks more like charm/manipulate and the charm icon looks like metamorphesis. If you havent actually named the icons, I would have never figured out what they were. The primary point of the theme was to recreate pre0existing icons and you have failed.

Blizzard Feeling: 6/10
Your drawing style is not really Warcraft style. Warcraft icons tend to be big and bold while your image mayb be strong, you do tend to put a lot of details. Which doesnt fit the style. Its too good for your own good.

Technical Note 20/20
Display of good colour combinations. Definitively shaded. The icons are all cohesive(they match each other) through the use of consistent style and colour scheme. Kudos for use of forshortening/perspective. Everything is just so well drawn with their minute details.

chr2
31/50

Creativity: 9/10
The clever use of colour impresses me. Hiding in the bamboo sticks first of all reinforces the colour scheme but also emphasises the oriental nature of the unit. The use of ying yang in the devotion aura also reinforces this. These clever uses of imagery and colour to get across a point is very excellent. The only downside is the rather mundane-ness of the warstomp an avatar icon.

Theme: 7/10
The theme has been followed fairly closely, except for windwalk, This icon rather reminds me of shadowmeld or such. Windwalk is where the character seems to move so fast, they turn invisible. Both speed and invisiblity must be taken into consideration. If you had some fluttering bamboo leaves with a backdrop of pandashaped shadow, it would have fulfilled both points. The icons themselves are very good in that they related to one chosen usnit fairly easily and as a whole.

Blizzard Feeling: 4/10
Your icons do not look very warcraft in general. They are rather too crowded and looks fuzzy. However, your general shapes and placements are Warcraft looking enough.

Technical Note 11/20
First of all, the colour schemes work great. The green, black and white combinations work very very well. Black and white signifying the panda and the green signifying the bamboo in terms of colour scheme is an excellent choice. All the icons are definitely cohesive. The shadowmeld and the avatar icon, however, look rather messy/fuzzy which i presume happed because you resized it and all the details like the hair has become condensed and thus looking messier. This is evident in the war stomp icon. Your toes look much much smaller and not as defined due to the resize. And thus, it looks messier than it should have been. Your avatar icon also does not look like a panda. It looks more like a shaggy dog. Normally the black patches around the eyes would have made certain that your image looks like a panda, however, they were blocked by the green glow this time, therefore being unclear as to what the object is. Your bamboo leaves could have been a bit more defined with highlights and etc.

-Grendel
38/50

Creativity: 5/10
All the icons are reasonably creative. Using the shell shield for, literally, devine shield was clever. However, for the rest of the icons, they are all pretty ordinary.

Theme: 7/10
Both criteria of recreating icons and relating to single unit has been followed. All of the images seem to have clear recognition with its vanilla WC icon counterpart. The shadowmeld could have used some more darkness on the left side of the icon though. And all the icons except critical strike easily relates to the chosen unit.

Blizzard Feeling: 10/10
This is as Warcraft as it gets. Use the similar drawing style, the Murloc was drawn just like the warcraft one and the way things are coloured and rendered is very close to a warcraft icon.

Technical Note 16/20
Very well defined. Objects are clear and well drawn and well shaded. Everything except Critical strike are cohesive. Critical strike icon looks like it could be applied to anything with a blade weapon. For example, it lacks the green that is present in all of the other icons.

ʞııɥs
41/50

Creativity: 5/10
You could probably say that all the icons are all same as the original icons in that they are just subject change. You've made fitting adjustments, which are reasonable, but there isnt really something that seems super creative.

Theme: 10/10
Followed the theme to pretty much a perfection. All the icons are immediately comparable to its coutnerpart which was vital to the theme. And all the icons are clearly related to a purple troll. Both criterias have been met very well.

Blizzard Feeling: 8/10
The troll is definitely well drawn to be instantly recognisable as a Warcraft troll. You have immitated the layouts of the preexisting warcraft icons. The only rerason why it wouldnt fit is that it is rather too realistically drawn.

Technical Note 18/20
Colour scheme is all fitting. Everything is well shaded. Defined and visible. Something that is rather a down side is the axe wich seems ridiculously simplified in comparison to other icons. The mountainous background on the troll shadowmeld could use a little more verification. Brighten the sky a little bit so it isnt the same darkness as the ground. It also helps if the sun wasnt cropped off by the border.

M0rbid
37/50

Creativity: 6/10
The majority of the icons are rather mundanely similar to the original icon. Kudos for drawing the helmt in frost breath though. It strengthens the relation with the unit. Icicles growing on armour was rather interesting but the rest is like I said, fairly reasonable.

Theme: 9/10
The themes have been closely followed, fulfilling both relating to the original icons as well as relating to a single unit. All is good except the resurrection icon which does not really give the idea or resurrection. You would have conveyed the message better if you have put some more power in to the image, such as arched back and shining eyes or clenched fists. To me, yours just look like he is jsut standing around.

Blizzard Feeling: 7/10
Even though it is well drawn, the general layout and the rendering style, even though visually interesting, does not look very warcraft. The sharp black lines also plays a factor.

Technical Note 15/20
Colour scheme is definitely cohesive. Consistant use of the white/blue keeps the icons looking good together. Objects are well defined, however you have that problem where individual objects are well shaded but not as a whole complete single object. Another problem is the fact that I recognised the storm bolt icon as a stahlhandgrenate. You needed more detailing to recognise it as a mace, not a german grenade. Which have been easier if you didnt use so much dark/black lines that takes up precious pixel space.

JollyD
21/50

Creativity: 4/10
I can see that you've made some reasonable changes and you have tried to create a much different resurrection icon. It is just too bad that the execution was not as good because I cant really tell what is going on in that picture. Other changes are reasonably good changes.

Theme: 5/10
The theme has been closely followed in that all the icons have a clear relation with the vanilla WC icons. Most of them have an easy recognition with their counterpart. The real downside comes from the fact that your gnoll does not look like a gnoll and the icons dont look like they are a part of a set for one unit. Resurrection, also, does not really remind me of resurrecting.

Blizzard Feeling: 2/10
Other than the fact that you have followed some layouts, your icons do not look like they would fit in a warcraft game at all. Your gnolls are red, your colours are too harsh and sometimes too saturated.

Technical Note 10/20
The shading is reasonably well done. The objects are not fuzzy. The biggest problem i have here is that you need to draw your objects better. Neither berserk nor resurrection icon looks like it depicts a gnoll. One looks like a bat and one looks like a red demon. This happens because you did not study the facial shape of a gnoll well enough. For example, the nose shoul be black and trianguler and next to the nose should be a squarish patch of rather white fur where the whiskers are. Instead you have drawn pig noses and the squarish part is completely absent. Colour scheme is also a proble. You have this red thing going but there is no such thing as a red gnoll. You have chosen gnoll overseer who is grey and dull green and yet you have used bright red and bright green.

Marcos DAB
41/50

Creativity: 6/10
Your icons seem rather too close to the original icons, excluding the change of subjects which would mean you would score lower. However, your dark ritual icon where the hand plucks out some sort of egg/seed, I thought that was a very creative idea, probably the most interesting idea here, next to the Aerial snare by Mr. Goblin or Call to Arms by I3lackDeath but the most well executed out of the three. However, the rest of your icons do not follow such and thus, the score is like this.

Theme: 9/10
The themes have been followed very closely and the icons are mostly comparable to the preexisting counterpart. All except for your bereserk icon. I am not getting the sense of craziness/berserkness in your berserk icon. I am not getting a feeling of "I AM CRAZY AND I WILL KILL YOU!!!" in the facial expression. Perhaps put a bit more crazy eyes or growling mouth next time.

Blizzard Feeling: 7/10
Really have to relate back to Warcraft game. Murloc in Warcraft, even though you have put in an effort on the face, does not look like how you have drawn murlocs. The way you have drawn resembles more of a fish.

Technical Note 19/20
Excellent use of colour scheme. Very very cohesive as a whole set. Everything drawn very crisply and definitely. Great shadings and etc where they are needed. There is a little forshortening but I think could have been better expressed.

Elainiel
28/50

Creativity: 2/10
Not really creative at all. Frost axe is just frost arrow but with axe. Healing is just healing hand icon with a green hand. Most frustrating is the trueshot icon which seems like you have just replaced the arrow/spear with an axe, completely with the background that immitats the Warcraft icon, without actually thinking what it addes to the icon. You even kept all the object angles as is. The only saving grace is the starfall icon which isnt that much interesting.

Theme: 5/10
You have done well of following the theme of recreating an existing Warcraft 3 icon but you have rather failed at the second part of the theme which was to make the icons relate to one single unit/hero. Your axes look different and ice trolls are not really related to shamanic totems. Thats more for taurens and such.

Blizzard Feeling: 8/10
I would say this looks rather warcraft-ish. It has similar placment and proportions.

Technical Note 13/20
In terms of technicality, everything seems to be reasonably drawn in terms of shape and shading. The icons all together arent very visually cohesive. The only ones that match are the frost axe and the totemfall and those two do not look very similar in terms of style.

results.png

The calculations are as follows, in descending order.

Mr.Goblin
(37/50 + 37/50)/2 * 60 + (17/42) * 40 = 60.590476
ʞııɥs
(42/50 + 41/50)/2 * 60 + (7/42) * 40 = 56.4666666666
M0rbid
(40/50 + 37/50)/2 * 60 + (6/42) * 40 = 51.91428
Marcos DAB
(36/50 + 41/50)/2 * 60 + (5/42) * 40 = 50.9619​
-Grendel
(38/50 + 38/50)/2 * 60 + (0/42) * 40 = 45.6​
chr2
(39/50 + 31/50)/2 * 60 + (1/42) * 40 = 42.95​
Elainiel
(32/50 + 28/50)/2 * 60 + (1/42) * 40 = 36.95​
JollyD
(32/50 + 21/50)/2 * 60 + (4/42) * 40 = 35.609​
I3lackDeath
(28/50 + 28/50)/2 * 60 + (1/42) * 40 = 34.5523​

140223-albums1517-picture56350.png

Congratulations to all the participants.

PS: SO sorry for all the mishaps. hopefully it wont happen again

Last edited:
well, I would like you to elaborate on the blizzard-feeling category. what exactly are the parameters that led to the scores there? since that is the category I need to work most on, I'd like to know the specifications.

well lets say you just grab one of your icon and compare it to a bunch of other warcraft icon.then you compare if they look similar

this includes proportioning or placement/layout conventions. i believe, for example, warcraft icon always show the one end of an weapon related item, not crop off both sides. an ok example would your locust swarm equivalent. it follows the placements but the foreshortening is rather weak in comparison. it also includes rendering style, such as the contrast in the colours, the shading method and general surface textural quality, whther the pic is too grainy or not, got too much details and what not.

well lets say you just grab one of your icon and compare it to a bunch of other warcraft icon.then you compare if they look similar

this includes proportioning or placement/layout conventions. i believe, for example, warcraft icon always show the one end of an weapon related item, not crop off both sides. an ok example would your locust swarm equivalent. it follows the placements but the foreshortening is rather weak in comparison. it also includes rendering style, such as the contrast in the colours, the shading method and general surface textural quality, whther the pic is too grainy or not, got too much details and what not.

Ow, I see. Thanks, will keep these in mind. :)

jesus christ...the calculation was off. sorry about that, guys. i dont know how that even happened. thanks to wraithling for pointing that out.

the results have been recalculated. the only change was that M0rbid became 3rd and Marcos DAB became 4th.

really sorry about that. if it is any consolation, you lost by 1 vote.

Last edited:
notes were not modified. if you can compare, the numbers have not been changed. the calculation was off the first time when i calculated it.

i can even bring up the original scores and calculations if you really must insist. in that one, you came third.

i am very sorry about this. didnt mean to cause you grief but thats just how it turned up

Level 30
Congratulations.
It doesn't matter are you the first or the last one in the scoretables. It's a great sight to spot this many artists and four times more new icons in our resources sections. Your success to get all this through the end, your will and confidence makes you all victorious.

Hail to you, champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.