• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #10 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture59947.png

160036-albums4747-picture60696.png

Custom Models/Skins

The contestants were required to create an icon set for a model of their own choice. This included the unit's icon and its abilities' icons.

160036-albums4747-picture59709.png

160036-albums4747-picture59712.png

Apheraz Lucent
72/100

Blizzard Feeling: 12/15
I would actually go that far to say that these icons are very Blizzard-ish. A bit too saturated and colorful to fully get there, but you got the feeling as well as the shading and effects are all fairly similar to Blizzard's icons. Nice job.

Theme: 25/30
I don't really see why a Watcher would use a staff, as she does not even have one, so the passive one kind of confuses me. Apart from that you handle this part good as well, great variety and the icons make sense based on the model you've used.

Creativity: 12/25
Here you're missing out though. I can't see anything that special or creative. It is a generic set of icons. Brings nothing new to the table. I believe you can do better than this. You do, however, have a bit of variation compared to other icons like this, such as the figure in your starfall icon.

Technical Note: 23/30
The staff icon is marvelous, the shading is a bit too subtle on some parts though. Overall you got some anatomical issues, such as thumb, ears, eyes on portrait icon, etc. Ultimate is great, glad to see you got rid of that awful glow around the figure. However, the stars do look a bit like cotton candy. Awesome choice of colors for a night elf model like this.

Fjury
57/100

Blizzard Feeling: 9/15
You’ve managed to get an alright Blizzard feeling, unfortunately it does not really get there. But I have no real problem with seeing them together with other icons of Blizzard either. Your icons look a bit pale, due to dull shading. I would have no problem with replacing an icon such as unholy frenzy with that “eye” icon of yours though, that one is great.

Theme: 18/30
I am not really getting your theme here. The first two icons are kind of a brutal warrior theme, together with the portrait they are all in yellow hue which makes it look like all 5 icons does not even belong to the same hero. And the last two icons are some sort of thunderish god. The model you’ve used though, had two forms, so I would believe that this is the reason for this. But still, you need to follow a set theme, there is nothing stopping you from making them all look alike and coincide more than this. You survive this section by having a good variation between your icons.

Creativity: 10/25
Same with my judging for Apheraz here, I see nothing interesting here to appeal me that much. A sight icon, an axe, a shield bash and whatever the last icon now is.

Technical Note: 19/30
I actually really like your icons for some reason, especially the sight icon. Though the thing is, all of your icons are quite dull when it comes to lightning/shading, especially the axe icon, the shading on that blade is not that good. It looks more like a round rock rather than an axe blade. And your ultimate icon is too dark and doesn’t look “alive”. I have also no idea what is going on at all on that icon, I would guess it is your hero whom achieves power from the storm or something like that? It needs a lot more definition. The hand on the shield bash icon looks very weird.

Marcos DAB
82/100

Blizzard Feeling: 14/15
On this section you perform great! If I didn’t know you did these, I might have thought that Blizzard had released a new icon set. Nothing more to say really. Great shading, choice of colors and effects.

Theme: 26/30
Your icons couldn’t be better themed, great choice of colors, which works with all your icons. Good variation and makes perfect sense. However, the wand doesn’t really follow the looks of the model’s wand. As it is plenty much more “leafy” than your icon, hence the subtract from your score here.

Creativity: 18/25
Now this is more like it. As soon as I saw that heart icon I fell in love with it. It looks great, and it is a really interesting concept. The bark icon is quite influenced by “spiked carapace” I believe, but to make a nature-looking bark icon out of it is something I don’t think I’ve ever come across. The rest is quite generic.

Technical Note: 24/30
Both the heart and the bark looks terrific, not much to criticize at all. Seems to me that you gave those two most thought and dedication. The furthest right fingers on the hand icon suffers from some anatomy faults though. The glow and background on your wand icon makes it look a bit weird. Background is too blurry and the glow looks a bit too solid for being “magical energy”. A good choice of color scheme.

Peekay
89/100

Blizzard Feeling: 12/15
Your icons actually look too good to be perfect Blizzard icons. I am serious. Blizzard icons tend to be quite cartoony and somewhat blurry. But your icons have amazing shading, effects and realism. You do, however, manage to catch the overall feeling of Blizzard’s icons.

Theme: 27/30
Marvelous. Great variety between your icons and they fit perfectly for your model. I do not understand why you chose to make the shield-breaking icon in a red color scheme though, as the model’s sword are enchanted with blue magic. Also, your portrait’s feathers and the feathers on the other icon have different colors, I do not see the reason for this.

Creativity: 22/25
Original and interesting. A hawk-spirit executed in a great way. Some angelic/spiritual retribution that looks like nothing I’ve ever seen. Good concept of a shield-breaking icon, nothing new there but still done in an interesting way. The feather icon is quite generic though. Portrait is about as creative it can be, by being a portrait. Nice angle.

Technical note: 28/30
Plain fucking awesome. The effects and lights are marvelous, and a terrific choice of colors. The feathers does suffer from what it looks like a bit of lazy-ness as you could have done a better job shading them, they look a bit flat. The individual feathers that is. Also, your hawk spirit icon has a big black space on the top of the background; just some minor, subtle particle would make it not look as odd as it does now.

Kola
71/100

Blizzard Feeling: 9/15
Compared to Peekay’s icons, which looked a bit too realistic, yours looks a bit too cartoonish instead. Especially the first arrow icon. Your icons are overall too saturated to fit right in within Blizzard’s icons. The track and the cross does however look Blizzardy enough.

Theme: 23/30
Well, looks good. You’ve made icons for such skills I myself would believe that hero would use. I don’t really understand what the dance mania icon has to do with vampire tracking though. Good color choice and the icons follow each other on that department. I would say that a vampire tracker should have a darker theme on her icons than you’ve chosen though (more like the portrait you’ve done!). As earlier mentioned, they are a bit too saturated.

Creativity: 17/25
Quite standard icons, however, they are executed in a very interesting way. You even managed to make a regular track icon look interesting. Not much more to say.

Technical Note: 22/30
The ear on the portrait is a bit out of place where it should be. The arrow is too hard shaded and makes it look very cartoony, it does not look realistic (shading wise). The background of it looks very solid. The dance mania icon suffers from anatomical issues, and I think it would look way better with a yellow glow from her body, rather than purple. Also, it looks like a dude, and not a girl. Overall, your icons look great apart from some faults that I mentioned.

Morbent
36/100

Blizzard Feeling: 5/15
It really does not look Blizzard-ish at all. You have way too realistically (as in realism) looking and un-saturated icons. The only thing saving you on this part is that your lightning icon looks like something Blizzard could create; I believe it would fit right in.

Theme: 11/30
So well, you’ve done 2 lightning icons, with a different color scheme, and you got a poison icon, and lastly you got a portrait of some other dude? I don’t see how any of this fits together. You’ve made it hard for yourself by picking Mephisto, as it is not so easy to judge. First of all I barely now what that guy is or does. I don’t think the guy is a enraging warrior with both lightning and decay spells, that seems very odd. To me it seems (and if I remember correctly from playing Diablo 2 myself) he is somewhat of a lighting enchanted demon. And that makes the poison icon, together with the enrage/other dude portrait icon stand out.

Creativity: 6/25
I see nothing interesting here. Plain and boring concepts I’ve seen hundreds of times.

Technical Notes: 14/30
Overall your icons are blurred and dull, they look “dead”. The first lightning icon could just be a bit of snow on the ground, it needs more defining and variation in hue and effect. The poison dude has no detail at all, it does not look like a person rather a doll. Also this icon suffers from zero variation and a blurry look. The lightning icon is good, however they are angled in a weird way, which does not make it look realistic (in a non-realism way). The hatred icon is good enough, though it needs more lights, too dark right now. You’ve succeeded with the portrait icon though. Great looking artistic-wise.

JollyD
61/100

Blizzard Feeling: 4/15
Not at all. Nothing in your icons makes me think of Blizzard. The first icon has some tendencies of Blizzard-looking, and that is the only thing saving you from scoring at all here. Too much realism together with faint colors.

Theme: 26/30
You flourish here. Icons fit your model perfect and the color scheme coincide with each other. You also have a nice variety of different icons. Good job.

Creativity: 14/25
Good enough. Interesting bash icon. The display icon is somewhat original. I see no faults here, but I see nothing interesting enough to give you a higher value either.

Technical note: 17/30
All of your icons are blurry and the shading is undefined and messy. It is hard to make out any details of them. The fire needs more shading as it looks way too bright and without any particular variation of particles. I am having a hard time defining what that display/clock icon is. The first icon does look rather clean and defined though. And the bash icon is easy enough to see what is going on, though the face looks odd. Portrait looks good, a bit dark perhaps.

Sin’dorei300
77/100

Blizzard Feeling: 14/15
Very Blizzard looking. You have really managed to catch the feeling, shading, enough cartoony-looking and everything.

Theme: 24/30
Your icons fits great. All of them are holy themed and fits a monk just fine. I do not think a monk/pilgrim would have a skill to get wasted though, but as it is a dwarf, I guess I will have to let that one pass ;)

Creativity: 16/25
As with Jolly’s icons I see nothing in particular new or interesting. But your icons are still enough different from other similar icons so it doesn’t feels like I’ve seen icons like yours a dozen times. Though the axe is really boring and generic.

Technical Note: 23/30
Great looking icons. As I’ve stated earlier, the mace-strike icon is absolutely stunning. The other icons have good shading and lighting, good executed effects and proportions and angles all turn out well. I do not like the glows around the model at ale icon as well as on the ultimate though. You should be able to make him stand out more without taking a shortcut by using a glow like that. It makes him look out of place. There is also something not feeling right about the blade of the axe, however, I am not able to figure out what the problem is, so can’t really detract any points from you there.

ARMY-OF-PANDAS
JUDGING

Blizzard Feeling
Your icons had a strong blizzard feeling due to the colors and just how the icons look overall. Color schemes also match well.13%

Theme
All the given icons went well with your theme or model choice. Each icon represented spells that model does greatly20%

Creativity
The creativity of these icons are pretty good due to the fact that they match perfectly with the overall aspect of it. But, some are lacking in detail and originality.19%

Technical Note
Some of these icons did have alot of crowed space and things that shouldn't be there and/or removed. Also, the icon with the hand, the pinky is quite small and the proportion of the hand it quite weird itself.19%

Blizzard Feeling
Some of the icons here have a good blizzard feeling and some lack that aspect. The blessing and the strike icons need some work on them with this.9%

Theme
You did very well capturing the theme of the model you chosen. Each icon represents a given spell for the chosen model.20%

Creativity
The creativity given was good, although the color sceme doesn't really match too well. Also, the blessing icon needs alot of work.19%

Technical Note
The quality of these icons are great and clean, there are some spots that are pixeled or blurry but for the most part they are nice.19%

Blizzard Feeling
Overall your icons gave a awesome blizzard feeling, the execution is perfect15%

Theme
Your theme was a treant, overall dominated it at the best.. Im not sure what else to say about this!20%

Creativity
The originality is good, some of the spell ability icons are confusing, like the heart one for example. Still a nice icon, but very confusing.25%

Technical Note
You did not put so much stuff nor elements in the icons to make it jammed or crowed, nice job on this. But, some spots may need tweaked.. overall amazing job.26%
Total 86/100

PeeKay

Blizzard Feeling
Ok, no questions asked.. blizzard feeling 100%15%

Theme
The theme was overall good, but some icons did lack color sceme and therefore they seem mismatched. Even though color sceme doesn't matter too too much, it adds a nice touch to the heros abilities and they makes them all match up together.28%

Creativity
Very unquie indeed, each icon contributes with the model itself, also each icon repersents something on the model, for example.. the shield smash and the wing icon. The model has wings and a sword, so they go together well.25%

Technical Note
Overall quality of these icons is outstanding. Need i say more? 30%
Total 98/100

Kola

Blizzard Feeling
Great blizzard feeling overall, All of them follow this theme well.15%

Theme
The theme is good with the model/hero but i would have chosen another color for the background of the images, lets say redish? or purplish? Just because hes a vampire hunter it just goes together well. The greenish background color just throws it off a bit.20%

Creativity
These icons are quite original and match the model well, each icon represents the said spell of the model. None of the icons have flaws that i see for the creativity aspect.25%

Technical Note
The quality is wonderful at best, none have pixels nor blurry parts too it. I still think the background colors should be addjusted to another color,other than the green.24%

Blizzard Feeling
These are a nice bunch of icons, but are lacking blizzard feel tremendously. They need alot more work and tweaks. 5%

Theme
You picked Mephisto, some of the icons don't really match the theme with him, 2 lighting icons are kinda weird and don't seem to match Mephisto's ways at all.10%

Creativity
Your creativity was a good try but, again some of the icons don't match Mephistos aspects at all, which defeat the purpose of them.12%

Technical Note
The quality of these are quite blurry and pixeled. Also, some of them have messy shading in places that need to be re-done.10%

Blizzard Feeling
The blizzard feeling is alright at best, but chould be better, 1 or 2 of the icons are nice but the rest seem to not follow the blizzard feeling.9%

Theme
It seems you follow the theme of your model well but, some of the icons are confusing and i have no idea what is going on in them. I would define some of the icons so people know whats going on and it matches the model your using.18%

Creativity
Again the creativity is good, but some of these icons dont match your model you picked, or some you cant recognize what is going on in the icon itself.18%

Technical Note
The quality of these icons is lacking at best, you use to much dark shading, there is alot of black areas around the shading. I would stay away from using really dark shading like that, it makes everything look bad.19%

Blizzard Feeling
Some of these icons follow the blizzard feeling well, some are lacking on this aspect alot, for example the Holy Call is lacking at the moment.13%

Theme
The theme is overall really good, they all match the model very well, the axe icon and the flail match the model overall. Some other icons lack that aspect.25%

Creativity
The uniqueness of these icons is good due to they match the model well and overall they have matching background colors. This is also a nice touch.20%

Technical Note
The flail icon has some spots that have pixels and such, also, the background color on the flail icon is soo bright and the execution is quite hard to see, your eye is focusing on the flail but then focus on the background because the brightness of it. You also chould of used less background color, some black space is nice to have around the background, full color backgrounds are just messy and ugly. But, the other icons seem to fit well and have a good feeling too them.20%
Total 78/100

Calculation Formula: (((Judge1 + Judge2)/200) * 75) + ((Votes/Total Votes) * 25))

Apheraz Lucent: [[(72+71)/200]*75] + [(18/96)*25]] = 53,625 + 4,6875 = 58,3125
Fjury: [[(57+67)/200]*75] + [(7/96)*25]] = 46,5 + 1,822 = 48,32
JollyD: [[(61+64)/200]*75] + [(2/96)*25]] = 46,875 + 0,52 = 47,4
kola: [[(71+84)/200]*75] + [(7/96)*25]] = 58,125 + 1,822 = 59,947
Marcos DAB: [[(82+86)/200]*75] + [(22/96)*25]] = 63 + 5,73 = 68,73
morbent: [[(36+37)/200]*75] + [(3/96)*25]] = 27,375 + 0,78125 = 28,156
PeeKay: [[(89+98)/200]*75] + [(25/96)*25]] = 70,125 + 6,51 = 76,635
Sin'dorei300: [[(77+78)/200]*75] + [(12/96)*25]] = 58,125 + 3,125 = 61,25

1. PeeKay
  2. Marcos DAB
  3. Sin'dorei300
  4. kola
  5. Apheraz Lucent
  6. Fjury
  7. JollyD
  8. morbent

160036-albums4747-picture60692.png
160036-albums4747-picture60693.png
160036-albums4747-picture60694.png

Contest | Poll

Level 49
Nya! :p
Thanks Elaniel and multi-Panda for judging.
Congratulations everyone and personaly thanks Marcos for intresting poll-duel and good entry which i like for creativity (heart - my respect). :)

The only moment about judging i wanted to comment - the "flatness" on wings and portrait was my way to define feathers correctly. Well, i accept opinion that they're flat and this is not, mhm, correct but is way to make clear sense that its feathers, without overdarkened highlines :)

I'm very happy.

But I disagree with the early end of the poll.
Maybe, If the end of the poll was before, when I had the absolute leadership of the poll, the ending could have been different.

Only the 1st place will gain an icon award?

I don't really understand what you're saying there. The poll ended today. ;p

The first entry gets the award displayed under their avatar, while you get it displayed in your profile.

I'm very happy.

But I disagree with the early end of the poll.
Maybe, If the end of the poll was before, when I had the absolute leadership of the poll, the ending could have been different.

Only the 1st place will gain an icon award?

The poll ended too soon? What? It ran for several weeks, plus the amount of votes is something like 300% of what they were for the LAST icon contest. >_>

Also, it's childish to think: "Oh, I am leading a poll, it's better ending soon!".
Joining contests for the sole motivation of winning is sad. You once again showed us what you are capable of, you once again had the chance to compete with many other skilled users. You managed to take the 2nd place. That is a very good result, but you shouldn't give that too much meaning...

Also, what Phar said. There once was a discussion about only winners getting an award, but the host decides and sets the rules.

@I3lackDeath

For me the meaning is of immeasurable dimensions. I had contact with HWS many years. Only years later I decided to create an account. My first contact with HWS was in 2007~2008. I love this site.

I just like things exactly as planned. I hadn't much free time to access the HWS. Whenever I get time to get here is a big surprise. For me it was a great disappointment the output of NFWar.

I am extremely pleased with 2nd place. Mainly because I was overcome by one of the greatest creators of icons here.

For me Peekay, NFWar and CRAZYRUSSIAN, are and always will be the best.

The only thing that really makes me unhappy, is not having an icon award under my avatar =X

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.