• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #13 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums7436-picture85973.png

icon.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
3.png

results.png

209577-albums5234-picture99923.png

Icons for Director's Cut Models

The contestants are to create 1 unit icon and 3 ability icons for a Director's Cut model of their choice.

contest%20judging.png

Eubz - 46/100

Blizzard Feeling: 3/10

The icons are way too soft and desaturated to feel like Blizzard icons. Blizzard uses vibrant colors and large contrasts to give live to their icons, which are missing here.
Theme: 14/20
The icons fit the demonic beast represented by the model. The icons in the set are pretty varied while still very much feeling like they belong together. The subtle color differences in each icon make sure the set doesn’t look monotomous.
Creativity: 17/35
Overall, I think your icon choice is reasonably creative. Your choice for a bleeding finger for your critical strike ability is weird, but I like that you tried something a little less obvious. The mouth with teeth for a devour ability on the other hand is pretty much the epitome of cliche.
Technical Note: 12/35
Your icons are very blurry, very desaturated and lack contrast. They also lack depth. The mouth doesn’t look 3D at all and apart from the second horn, the hero portrait doesn’t really either. I like the Armor Break icon, but I really can’t see what it is. I understand the top part is breaking armor of some sort, but what are the round things at the bottom? Also, the objects you depict don’t look like they are made from the material they are supposed to be made of. The blood doesn’t look shiny and liquid, the teeth don’t look sharp, the lips don’t look fleshy etc. I suggest looking at, for example, real tusks and trying to draw/paint them so you get a feel for rendering different materials. Your proportions, composition and color tones are pretty nice though.

Heinvers
- 41/100

Blizzard Feeling: 4/10

I’ve thought about this for quite a while but I can’t quite put my finger on it... I just don’t think the icons feel very Blizzard-esque.
Theme: 10/20
The icons obviously fit the model, but I don’t really see the link between your icons and the abilities that go along with them. You do have nice color variety while still managing to make the set look like it belongs together.
Creativity: 13/35
Every ability icon is a body part found on the model. Just because they have to fit a model, doesn’t mean your icons have to be parts of that actual model. I think you could have been much more creative in the way you depicted the spells you chose.
Technical Note: 14/35
Your icons have nice vibrant colors but all seem to suffer from proportion issues. I couldn’t for the live of me figure out what the Skeleton King’s Embrace icon was supposed to depict. After taking a good look at the model I think it’s supposed to be his eye. You should take a look at some real life pictures of skulls or even at the model you chose,
because that is not what a skeleton eye should look like, even if stylized. The lighting on your Necromantic Call icon doesn’t make sense either, why is there a blue glow on the outsides of the hand when the light source is on the inside? On a more positive note, the way you rendered the metal and the icy floor on your Chill Presence icon is really quite good.

Morbent - 72/100

Blizzard Feeling: 6/10

Pretty close, but a bit too blurry, mysterious and abstract for the Blizzard feel.
Theme: 15/20
All icons fit the chosen model(’s theme) very well. I like how you stylized the body in different ways so that even if your 2nd and 4th icons both show the model’s body with hands in the foreground, they still feel very different. I sort of like the unified purple look, and I like how your third icon doesn’t have red as secondary color but white instead. Still, I think the set is a bit too monotomous, so you lost a few points for that.
Creativity: 25/35
I really like the third icon. It has no direct relation to the model but really feels like it belongs with it. The other three are just depictions of (parts of) the body in different positions but like I said above, quite creatively done. I also think you came up with quite a cool solution for the unit icon, which I imagine must have been rather challenging for this particular model.
Technical Note: 26/35
Very solid. The fourth icon stands out the most to me in terms of quality. The other icons could use slightly more definition and a perhaps slightly more realistic proportions; even though I quite like the distortion considering the model it’s based on, the second icon still feels kinda off. The third icon is nice, but simple.

~Nightmare - 59/100

Blizzard Feeling: 7/10

Pretty close on the ability icons, less so on the portrait.
Theme: 12/20
Yes, they fit the character, but all icons are really similair. They feel too unified, the result being slightly boring. A single spell that wasn’t so obviously fire themed would have been nice.
Creativity: 16/35
I see two icons that are almost exactly the same: the darkness lord’s hand wreathed in fire. I like the second icon though. It’s a composition you don’t see on icons very often and the little men on the bottom look really small and insigificant. It gives a great feeling of scale to the character, I think it gives the set a lot of character and creativity-wise is by far the best. Those hand icons cost you a lot of points though.
Technical Note: 24/35
The three ability icons are really good. The first hand icon could use some more depth and more realistic fire. On the third and fourth icon I don’t have that much to critize, expect perhaps that the big eyes in icon 3 could have used some more love. I really don’t thionk the hero portrait is very good at all, though. The proportions are wrong, the beard does not look like it is attached to the head and frankly the hair doesn’t look much like hair. The horns look glued on. In short, the shading is rather nice, but your proportions and rendering of materials could be improved a lot.

PeeKay - 70/100

Blizzard Feeling: 5/10

The icons are not defined and colorful enough to really fit Blizzard’s style. Thge icons have a certain cartoonyness to them but it still feels like a different sort than blizzard’s cartoonyess.
Hey look at that, different colors! You don’t see that in this contest a lot. Nice variety in subject matter and color while still feeling like they belong to one character. I like how the icons really give you a feel of the character and give him personality.
Creativity: 22/35
Got some minus points for doing an orc head three times. It shouldn’t be to hard to come up with some more interesting spells for a character like Durotan. Otherwise they’re reasonably creative in compostion and color use. I like the coolness of the Spirit Wolf icon next to the fire of the Bloody Rage icon. A nice way of showing the duality in the orc’s character. That axe is just uninspring though.
Technical Note: 29/35
There’s no doubt you’re a pretty capable artist, but I feel that in some of these icons you didn’t give your all. The axe icon just seems so bland compared to the others and the rendition of the blood isn’t all that well done. The composition also feels off, rotating the axe a bit and adding a bit of perspective would have made the icon feel much more powerful. The portrait icon also seems a bit off, in the proportions and lighting. The Spirit Wolf and Bloody Rage icons though, I love them and have nothing to complain about there. (Well, one thing: the orc in the rage icon looks more happy than raging)

Sin’dorei300 - 75/100

Your icons don’t feel stylized (cartoonish if you will) enough to feel like Blizzard icons. On
Soul Devout doesn’t have enough contrast to feel Blizzardy.
Theme: 17/20
Every icon fits the character perfectly, decent variety in subjects and ocmposition. Nice use of little splashes of color among all the purple, as well as using slighly different kinds of purple in the different icons. I personally wouldn’t have objected to a bit more color variety though.
Creativity: 27/35
Decent creativity while staying with the essence of the character. All the icons add to the personality of the character. Just from looking at the icons in game you would get a pretty good idea of what this character is. I love the heart-shape in the Seduction icon, and I really like the expressions on the faces in the Soul Devour icon. Good job getting that in there without us seeing the eyes.
Technical Note: 26/35
Solid overall. The portrait and Lash of Paain feel the most professional. Seduction and Sould Devout feel a bit sketchy. I don’t like the squiggly lines on the Seduction icon. I feel that you should have either chosen to make the body a true silhouet or put a bit more love in it. Now it feels half-arsed. The colors in Soul Devour could have been a bit more vibrant.

stein123 - 48/100

The portrait feels really warcraftish, the rest not so much.
Theme: 13/20
The icons fit the character well. I’m all for color variey, but here the red icon does feel rather out of place. Having a hint of red in one of the othericons might have helped. Three skulls though, could have used a bit more variety there.
Creativity: 20/35
There’s not that much you can do with this model, I think you did a pretty good job making a diverse and interesting icon set. I love that little silhouet man coming out of the man being shot. The red skull icon is conceptually really nice as well.
Technical Note: 11/35
The portrait is much better done than the other icons and is actually quite solid. I like the composition of your second icon, but it is too blurry. The composition on your two skull ability icons is pretty bad. The green skull should have been moved further down, and the red one up and to the right. The red skull, where he’s holding his head is the worst icon of the set, imo. At first, I didn't recognize the hands as hands and it just felt like
a really badly drawn skull with a red stripe thorugh it. Once I looked at the icon more I saw it is in fact a much better icon than it appears at first glance, but in icons first impressions count. Your icons are pretty close to being really good, and I’m convinced with more practice they could become great.

The Silent - 43/100

Your icons have a bit of a Warcraft II feel to them, but not really the contemporary blizzard style.
Icons fit the model. Nice variety in subject, composition and color.
Creativity: 19/35
Man, I love that ricocheting bullet icon. Really nice, creative composition you have there. For a model that’s basically the rifleman I think you did a pretty good job of making interesting ability icons. I must admit though, I have no idea what the second icon is supposed to be, but that could just be my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to guns and related things.
Technical Note: 6/35
Proportion issues, non-rendering of materials, light sources not emitting light and blurriness all contribute to a low score. For the face in particular I suggest you get some reference pictures of real faces - or cartoon faces drawn by other people - while drawing. There’s nothing wrong with cartoonishness, but cartoonish distortion of proportions and bad proportions are not the same thing. You should also work on making things look like
they’re made of the material they’re supposed to be made of. For example the beard of the dwarf, that is the least hairy beard I’ve ever seen.

Windrunner29 - 25/100

Blizzard Feeling: 2/10
The compositions are sort of Blizzardy, the rest doesn’t invoke a Blizzard feeling.
Theme: 10/20
All icons fit the model, which makes sense, since all icons depict a part of said model. The icons feel like they belong together and have a decent amount of colors. Since the model itself is restricted to a similair color palette I think the unity works quite well here. Still, a bit more variety would’t have hurt.
Creativity: 11/35
All icons are basically a part of the model zoomed in, not very creative. The scaly skin on a dragon model has been done a thousand times before and the sword and tail smash aren’t exactly original either.
Technical Note: 2/35
All icons suffer major proportion issues. In addition, they’re blurry, undefined, and lack detail. The colors and lighting are rather nice, though. You still need a lot more practice before you’ll be making great icons but I do see potential, so keep drawing!

W.I.S.D.O.M. - 50/100

The icons aren’t defined or detailed enough to fit Blizzard’s style. The aze would
have fitted if it didn’t have the effect on the bottom of the icon (which I don’t dislike
btw)
I’m not familiair with Diablo lore so I cannot comment on how well the icons fit the spefeic character. I can comment on the general ideas though.They fit the archetype and are quite unified while not feeling the same. I like the subtly different hues of yellow, orange and red you used in the different icons. A barbarian is very focused on physical
prowess so I think focusing on the body and weapon of the actual model is actually justified in this case.
Creativity: 13/35
Pretty basic warrior/barbarian icons. I don’t feel like a whole lot of though has been put into these and you’ve just made the first icons that came to mind. The second icon is a pretty creative rendering of the whirlwind ability though, so points for that. I also like the effect on the bottom of your axe icon. All in all, though, I think you could have been a lot more creative, even with a barbarian.
Technical Note: 19/35
The portrait, I have to admit, is rather charming in it’s quirkyness but frankly not of very high quality. The third icon also seems rather basic. Both icons (and the others, to a lesser extent) suffer from blurriness, wrong proportions, basic lighting and absence of detail. I think the compositon of your second icon is really nice though, and the axe is really rather a solid icon. (Only the hilt could have used a bit more work.)

Blizzard feeling: 4/10
- Every icon except Armor Break was too desaturated and flat, and needed greater contrast. Blizzard icons generally have a brightness and crispness to them, which most of your icons lacked.
- The hero icon's side-profile perspective is particularly un-Blizzard-like for a unit icon.

Theme
: 12/20
- Overall, none of the icons save for Armor Break suited the model, owing to a combination of colour incongruences, weak perspectives and poor framing. Below, I'll analyse your hero icon as a reference, but similar reasoning applies to the Devour and Drifting Blood icons.
- The colouring of the hero icon's flesh and beard don't match the model's. The flat perspective & distanced framing does a disservice to the inherent 'personality' of the model. A downward, intimate perspective akin to the Crypt Lord icon's would've much better elicited the intimidating, brutal presence the model has.

Creativity: 16/35
- None of the icons were unique in concept or execution. There seemed to be little creativity in designing the ability icons.
- The icons were acceptably varied, but the colour palette is dull and monotonous. In addition, each of the perspectives used in the icons felt boring, familiar and/or uninteresting.

Technical note: 18/35
- As mentioned in 'Blizzard feeling', all icons except Armor Break need greater contrast (stronger highlights and shadows) and saturation (brighter colours). At first glance, I legitimately thought you mistakenly uploaded a DISBTN for Drifting Blood.
- There are many small lighting inconsistencies; for instance, the bottom-right blood droplet in Drifting Blood shows a bright reflection, yet no rim light appears at bottom of the bone. The blood in general is shaded lazily
- The hero icon and Devour could have used more definition, right now they are a tad too blurry. Both also looked flat due to weak lighting, get some stronger highlights and shadows on them.
- I have no idea what those egg-like spheres are below the cracked armor in Armor break, but the icon itself is well shaded and well defined.

Overall: 50/100

Blizzard feeling: 5/10
- Again, side-profiles generally are very un-Blizzard-like (talking about Leoric and Chill Presence).
- In general, the perspective in every icon seemed too flat to be considered Blizzard-y, though your second and third ability icons were substantially better in this regard.
- The hero icon's glow feels out of place.

Theme: 11/20
- The hero icon represented the look and feel model well, but the ability icons did not. I have no idea what Embrace is meant to be, but the other two icons were too bright and soft. This is in contrast to the angular, dark look of the model. The icons felt like they belonged better on a paladin than Leoric.
- That said, I felt your ability icons maintained cohesion with each other even though they did not fit the model.

Creativity: 21/35
- There were minor elements of creativity; I liked the subtly purple backgrounds in Presence and Call, I felt it made them slightly more interesting by bringing out the foreground better and thus helping to give the icons more depth.
- Conceptually, each icon was pretty uncreative. We have seen glowing appendage spells all too often, and I still cannot work out what Embrace is meant to be.
- I did feel that your icons were well varied in concept and composition. Each icon is framed differently, and there are subtle differences in colour palette between each of them, which is enough to make them distinguishable yet cohesive as a set.

Technical note: 19/35
- Form has been pretty terribly handled throughout every icon except for Presence. This is due to a combination of poor lighting and inaccurate perspective (particularly Call - look at the proportion of the thumb for clear evidence).
- You lose big points on the fact that Embrace is completely indiscernible. The shapes are confusing, the lighting seems completely flat and there doesn't seem to be an identifiable light source.
- Presence was your best icon on a technical level. Adequate shading, nicely blended glow, and clearly defined shapes. It's missing occlusive shadows being casted on the ground directly below the foot.
- The central glow of Call is nicely made, and the highlights it casts are appropriately drawn. The rim lighting coming from the back of the hand is far too strong though, especially against a dark, glow-less background.

Overall: 56/100

- The icon set was too dark to appear blizzard-like. Lighter and softer shadows with stronger highlights are needed.
- The first 2 icons were too un-Blizzard-like. The form in your first 2 icons is hard to identify due to a lack of clear lines (and check out the Blizzard Nether Dragon icon if you doubt it's impossible for ethereal models), whilst contrast of light and dark parts is lacking. Blizzard icons use simplistic shapes and strong value differences to construct easily identifiable form.
- Your brushwork for the hero icon is too detailed, creating a grainy texture that goes against Blizzard's smooth, semi-cartoonish look.

Theme
: 16/20
- Each ability icon represented well what they were intended to be, though Sent to the Void could have used greater visual clarity.
- As a set, your icons had good synergy with each other and the chosen model, being similar in look and colour scheme.
- For similar reasons to being 'un-Blizzard-y' the much darker, grainier hero icon does not fit the model as well as it could.
- A tad too much red in the icon set. The model itself lacks any kind of red. Sure, it's artistic licence, but it also detracts from the icons' congruency with the model's visuals.

Creativity
: 27/35
- Each icon was interesting to look at, and contained visual elements which, in the context of Warcraft 3 icons, were sufficiently unique. For example, the blending of red into parts of your icons, as well as the rather dynamic perspectives used to frame each icon. Nothing earth-shattering (well, except literally Black Mass), but small ideas that add to the overall visual creativity within the set.
- The abilities themselves were conceptually unique to an extent. Send to Void and Elder Form are essentially remixes of existing ability ideas (namely, Banish and Metamorphosis), but the visual execution was creative. Black Mass is just cool.
- Variety was lacking due to not only a rather homogenous colour palette across all icons, but similar lighting (or lack thereof).

Technical note: 29/35
- For the most part your icons have fantastic form, perspective, shading and colouring.
- Send to Void is your worst icon, owing to a lack of visual clarity. There is absolutely zero lighting and shading on the figure's body, making it not only a mess, but a flat, dark mess. The hand looks disproportionately larger than the body.
- Additional highlights to better distinguish the Voidwalker's face in the hero icon would have helped.
- Black Mass looks a tad too flat; the rim lighting should spill over more, and the crumbling pieces would benefit from being lighter, since they are not as dense.

Overall: 77/100

Blizzard feeling: 7/10
- Contrast, form, definition, and placement of lighting were Blizzard-esque, however the hero icon's shadows are a tad too dark.
- The hero icon's completely front-on perspective is very un-Blizzard like, despite the face itself being well drawn.
- The hero icon and Grasp have too much 'dead space'. The framing in Blizzard icons is up-close, which these 2 icons did not accomplish.

Theme
: 12/20
- Your hero icon does a good job of representing the model's sinister, cunning look. His face could've been depicted wider.
- The rest of your icons do not match the model. The flames are far too prominent, whilst there is a complete abandonment of the model's dark pink/crimson & bone marrow colour scheme.
- Each icon did convey their intended ideas well, and was cohesive as a set (…too cohesive, but that's for the next criteria).

Creativity: 15/35
- Very poor creativity in both the concept and execution of each icon. The hero icon uses a boring, uninspired perspective and lacks a strong sense of personality, whilst each ability icon looks like an already existing Blizzard icon. The most obvious example is Immolation compared to your Grasp icon.
- Ability icons look far too homogenous, to the point that each of them are incredibly interchangeable. Every single one featured black bodies on fire, with each icon's flames sharing the exact same colour palette. At the very least you could have recoloured one of the icons.

Technical note: 28/35
- Nice shading and definition all around. Everything had excellent visual clarity, and was technically well made.
- The flames and glows are all well drawn. The beam of energy in Enchantment does not cast a glow on the palm.
- The character's form in the hero icon is a tad too flat due to a lack of shading in certain areas like his beard and right tooth. But the white rim lighting on the left side of his face looks awesome.
- For Grasp, the hand could have used a greater range of values to better illustrate its form.

Overall: 62/100

Blizzard feeling: 6/10
- Highlights are apt, but shadows are way too dark and colours are too sharp. In Blizzard icons, shadows are rarely, if ever, pitch black, and are blended far more smoothly.
- Framing and form in the hero icon have a good Blizzard feeling. The hero's face is intimately focused on and has great personality.
- The side profile perspective and distanced framing in Spirit Wolf detract from it being Blizzard-like.

- With the exception of Spirit Wolf, all the icons look far too brutal and savage compared to the model's aesthetic.
- Each icon very clearly communicated what the intended subject of the icon was.
- As a set, the icons were stylistically cohesive, though Spirit Wolf felt disconnected from the rest due to a radically different colour scheme, a much more simplistic and less dynamic perspective, and… actually representing the themes embodied by the model.

Creativity: 30/35
- Every icon's composition contained creative elements. The backgrounds of all the ability icons were creatively chosen to add visual flavour. Savage Axe and Bloody Rage really look dynamic and powerful due to theirs.
- I like the perspective and framing of the hero icon. It's a simple low-angle extreme close-up of the model's face, but you rarely see unit icons framed so intimately. Even if the eye glows are not innovative, they are just neat additions that give personality.
- There is plenty of visual and conceptual variety, with every icon vastly differing in colour palette, perspective, and the subject or action depicted. I think it is safe to say your icons are definitely the most diverse set of all the contestants.

Technical note: 32/35
- The hero icon's fangs are too dark and have too strong highlights, looking somewhat flat and out of form.
- The blood splatter in Savage Axe needs more shading. Right now it lacks any sort of value.
- Bloody Rage is a tad too sharp and detailed. Tone down the hard, high contrast edges and its visual clarity would benefit.
- There is really not much to criticise, for the most part you have nailed every technical element.

Overall: 81/100

- All of your ability icons have an almost pastel-like texture, which though artistically fine does not match the smoother, semi-cartoonish look of Blizzard icons. In addition, their backgrounds are too detailed.
- The hero icon is very well drawn, perfectly defined, and has the right amount of shading and contrast. However, the face is too distantly framed compared to the norm in unit icons.
- Soul Devour looks too realistic, owing to far too detailed brushwork and too softly blended colours.

Theme: 17/20
- Every icon very well represented what they were intended to represent, and had excellent synergy between one another.
- As a set, they embodied the cunning, seductive nature of the model's look and theme very well. The colour palette felt rather restricted, however, as the model is much more bright and colourful than your primarily violet-themed icons.

Creativity: 26/35
- Each icon is not particularly conceptually creative. The ideas behind each ability were pretty predictable, given the model.
- Seduction's usage of a silhouette in the foreground and a vaguely heart-shaped mist in the background creatively expresses the purpose and nature of the ability. Lesser artists would probably have resorted to producing a clone of Silence or Charm.
- The framing of Soul Devour to include both the 'caster' and 'victim' was rather unique, and executed with perfect balance. It creatively reinforces the 'femme fatale' archetype of the model.
- Every icon had good variety in composition and concept, though the colour palette limited the visual diversity of the icon set.

Technical note
: 29/35
- The face of the hero icon has perfect form, shading and definition. Her hair needs more highlights, and I have no idea what that yellow horn thing is in the bottom left corner of the icon.
- Seduction and Lash of Pain look flat due to a lack of value/shading in both foreground and background. The silhouette's form is hardly discernible.
- Soul Devour is practically flawless. If I were really to nit-pick, the shading looks strange and misplaced on the female's nostrils.

Overall: 77/100

- The exaggerated, almost angular shapes you used draw each icon are very Blizzard-like, as are the bright, yet softly blended colours.
- Your hero icon has great form and shading. It truly looks like a piece of official Blizzard concept art. As a Warcraft 3 unit icon, however, the prevalent black lines separating shapes do not fit, and the icon should be more zoomed in on the hero's face.
- The poor, rushed shading on your last 2 icons unfortunately look too flat and cartoonish to have a Blizzard feeling.

- The set as a whole largely aligned with the model and with each other. No qualms about the hero icon for sure.
- Thirst and Insanity were slightly confusing in terms of what they represented, the former because the green saliva resembles more like poison than something unholy, and the latter due to the confusing and messy lines.

Creativity: 23/35
- The icons were all distinguishable from one another, and the set as a whole was acceptably varied. The prevalence of green is a neat and unobtrusive change from the model's visuals that reinforces its evil and unholy visuals.
- Each individual icon possessed creative elements. For example, the bloody fracture dividing Insanity is a unique addition that adds a sense of misalignment and chaos, better representing the theme of the ability. The only icon that is not particularly interesting in design or concept is Unholy Thirst.

Technical note: 19/35
- The hero icon and Soulstealer are both well drawn icons, with good shading, colouring, and definition, though neither are without flaws. The thick black lines in the hero icon look too cartoonish, whilst the 'spirit' in Soulstealer was hard to discern and visually lackluster due to a lack of detail and its messy outline.
- Your last two ability icons are disappointing. Very poor shading that results in a flat and cartoonish form, messy and uncontrolled colouring, and a lack of detail are just some of the reasons as to why they are technically flawed. There is little visual clarity due to the messiness of the icons.

Overall: 63/100

Blizzard feeling: 8/10
- The soft colours, exaggerated shapes, dynamic perspectives and appropriate contrast all contribute to give the set a great Blizzard feeling.
- However, the hero icon's face has inappropriate form and shading, looking too flat and curved compared to Blizzard icons.
- The skeletons in Bouncing Bullet looked messy and flat. Blizzard rarely includes so many figures or shapes in an icon.

- Every icon looked dull and unsaturated compared to the bright, pristine look of the model. Nonetheless, the icons were a cohesive set, and each ability icon clearly represented their intended purpose.
- The icons thematically conform with the model, but, with the exception of Bouncing Bullet, do not visually embody the expertise or superiority embodied in the model. They look more suited to the much more 'ordinary' Warcraft 3 Rifleman model.

- None of the icons were conceptually or structurally creative. The last two ability icons in particular resemble existing Warcraft 3 abilities too much, whilst the hero icon was a poor rehash of the existing Rifleman unit icon.
- The design of the ammo pouch in Special Ammo has an interesting look, but otherwise the icon is pretty visually uncreative.
- The icons were diverse in concept and composition, however, using differing perspectives, subtle differences in colour, and spacing.

Technical note: 21/35
- Form in the hero icon's face looks distorted, and does not conform with the perspective correctly. Shading is poor, and completely missing on the hero's facial hair. Altogether, the icon is too flat and misshapen.
- There is a tad too much detail and not enough difference in value to give Special Ammo any visual clarity. This makes it hard to discern the actual shapes within in the centre, even if the shapes are well drawn. Highlights seemed to be missing from the icon.
- Exploding Shot looks good, though the blast of the gun should have cast light onto the bullet-hole's rim. The barrel of the gun is also a bit blurry and needs greater definition.
- As mentioned before, the skeletons in Bouncing Bullet look too flat. The bullet trail itself looks fine, though the icon feels like it is in desperate need of an interesting background to add more visual flavour.

Overall: 61/100

- Colouring, definition and form are drawn in a very Blizzard-like manner across all icons, as are the perspectives and framing used.
- Poor shading makes the icons look flatter than they should, rendering them too cartoonish.

- The hero icon suits the model, though the ability icons all lack the jagged and imposing feel of the model. This is due to the colours being too bright, a slight lack of definition at parts, and lines drawn too curvy. The theme looks more aquatic than crystalline.
- Good synergy within the set, and each icon appropriately depicted their meaning for the most part.
- Bash is a tad confusing, looking more like the hero casting a spell than slamming into something.

- Bash and Improved Shell are rehashes of existing icons in both concept and execution.
- The idea behind Last Hope is somewhat broad, but more creative than your other two ability icons. A sword falling from the sky is not particularly original, but fits the icon's purpose in a unique manner.
- There was variety in the perspectives used for each icon, and no overlap of concepts. Although each icon is very distinguishable, the limited colour palette nonetheless is an uncreative design choice.

Technical note: 15/35
- Every icon looked flat due to a lack of shading. The hero icon is even worse in this regard, as it also suffers from flatter form as a result of the lines and shapes disobeying perspective. There is also a lack of definition around the neck in the hero icon.
- Bash could use more contrast to make it look sharper and more defined. It needs slightly darker shadows to make the arm look more three-dimensional.
- Last Hope's glow looked good, but needed to be blended more smoothly into the background. The blade itself is completely devoid of shading and detail, and therefore looking very poorly made.

Overall: 54/100

Blizzard feeling: 4/10
- Too much saturation and contrast, combined with flat perspectives and form makes the icon look way more cartoonish than the typical Blizzard icon.
- The hero icon is framed well, but lacks appropriate shading and detail. This is most apparent in how his nose and eyes are drawn.

Theme: 11/20
- I felt the set lacked cohesion, with Whirlwind looking far better drawn and shaded than the other icons, whilst Empower and Axe Slam featured more block colours that detracted from their coherence with the rest of the icons.
- The fiery colour palette did not match the model's sepia look and themes of earthiness and barbarianism. Anyone that plays D3 knows that rage is central to the character's personality, but your representation takes it to the point that he looks literally ablaze.
- The incredibly bright and virtually unblended red effects in Empower and Axe Slam confound how each icon is interpreted. Empower looks more violent than its name suggests, whilst the Axe seems more like it is on fire than smashing the ground.

Creativity: 18/35
- Your icon set lacked in creativity. The concept and execution of each icon are rather predictable.
- With the exception of Whirlwind, the straightforward perspectives you used on the ability icons made them uninteresting to look at.
- In contrast, I felt that the side-profile perspective on Whirlwind looked great and showed off your unique drawing style.
- There was acceptable variety between icons. The prominent red hues, whilst certainly overwhelming, did not in my opinion impeded on the distinguishability of any of the icons.

Technical note: 17/35
- Most of the flaws associated with your icons' lack of Blizzard feeling are also compositional flaws, namely the overtly cartoonish look due to poor shading, usage of highly saturated block colours, and very high contrast.
- The hero icon's form looks far too flat. Shapes are separated with very visible and rather unsightly black lines.
- The glows in Whirlwind and Empower should blended more softly. In fact, your colours need to be more softly blended in general to not look as messy.
- Axe Slam's sidewards perspective rob the icons of any sense of movement or power. It also suffers the most from high contrast.

Overall: 50/100

eubz

Blizzard Feeling
Your icons give off a nice blizzard feeling, looking at the original blizzard icons and then looking at yours i see a resemblance! Great job.5/10

Theme
I like how you kept the same color scheme here, accept for the teeth icon its very bland and doesn’t pop very much.. As for the rest of the icons they seem too match up great! 14/20

Creativity
Some of the icons presented could of been a bit more creative in my oppion..Maybe a spell icon or something that is unique in a way. 14/35

Technical Note
As i said above about the teeth icon, it seems very blown out and random to me. The avatar icon itself seems alright.. some of the unused black space is kinda annoying. Also, the bloody bone icon could have more splatter too it.10/35

Total 43/100

Heinvers

Blizzard Feeling
I don’t really see a blizzard feeling here, only on the hero icon, that one has the most blizzard feeling out of the 4 together. The rest need some work, because some are quite random and the frost hand icon seems very out of proportion.4/10

Theme
You followed the theme good but, i wish you could of make all the icons the same color so everything can match up perfectly for the hero.13/20

Creativity
I gotta give it too you on this one, because you got creative with these abilities. I like the boots how they have that aura around them, also the frosty hand, even though it could use some work.15/35

Technical Note
Some icons here could use some cleaning up, the frosty hand icon seems like it has double fingers in places. Also, I’m not sure what that second icon is representing and its very confusing.10/35

Total 42/100

morbent

Blizzard Feeling
The blizzard feeling towards your icons is incredible to be honest, each one of your icons here is very high on the blizzard scale.10/10

Theme
You followed the theme correctly and i love how you made each icon the same color scheme so everything matches up perfectly.15/20

Creativity
Each ability is very creative in there own way, i love the last icon the best, looks very unique and the colors pop out good. The hero icon itself is very creative and scary! 30/35
Technical NoteI can’t seem too figure out if theres anything wrong in these, all the icons presented seem very well made and put together.25/35

Total 80/100

~Nightmare

Blizzard Feeling
The hero icon itself doesn’t really give off that blizzard feeling too me. As for the rest of the icons presented i do see some resemblance here.5/10

Theme
You followed the theme really nice here, considering you made the color scheme the same in each icon, i would of loved too see a flame aura around the hero icon itself.14/20

Creativity
I don’t really see any creativity here, each icon is basically the same with using fire/flame maybe it would of been nice too add some magic ability or something different from the others.16/35

Technical Note
Some fire/flame effects in these icons seems very blown up in a way, some of the glows could of been a lot lower contrast and not too crazy color blends but that is also fine.14/35
Total 49/100

PeeKay

Blizzard Feeling
Each icon presented here seems too follow the blizzard feeling catagory very good. Great job as always.10/10

Theme
You followed the theme greatly, but i would of liked too see the same color scheme here, I’m not saying every heros ability has too be same color but for the contest it would of been nice too add maybe that light blue effect too each icon.12/20

Creativity
These icons are pretty creative, i like the axe smash icon with the blood, that one is really nice, as for all the rest in my opinion.. nice work here.18/35

Technical Note
I don’t really like the jaw on the last icon where the orc is getting enraged by something, it looks really out of place or it may be just me? I’m not too sure there. Other than that they all seem very good.15/35

Total 55/100

Sin'dorei300

Blizzard Feeling
I honestly think all these icons here have a blizzard feeling accept for the 3rd one, its kinda hard too make out at first glance and its kinda random and confusing.9/10

Theme
You followed the theme greatly because the colors match up which makes everything flow good, plus each icon goes with the heros status and how she is presented.15/20

Creativity
I love the whip icon, and also the last icon which looks like a siphon mana of some kind? As for the 3rd icon like i said before it is kinda confusing and hard too make out sadly.20/35
Technical NoteI really don’t seem a lot going on in these accept for the 3rd icon that has a lot of small details, i would of liked to see this zoomed in a bit so we can see whats happening here.15/35
Total 59/100

stein123

Blizzard Feeling
Some icons you have here seem too have a blizzard feeling and some really don’t have none at all, for example the 2 last icons don’t really have a blizzard feeling towards them and the first 2 do.7/10

Theme
I like the lime green color you did on these, its very nice.. But, i would of liked too see it more on the last icon you made with the red cracked skull, it throws everything off with the red.14/20

Creativity
Very creative icons, i like the bow and arrow one the most in this pack of icons, also the hero icon is unique too, the others could use more work and more thinking towards them.21/35
Technical NoteI think the 3rd icon could use more updating and maybe less green goo coming off it, because thats really confusing as too whats happening there.. Also the 4th icon could use a tad bit more details on the skull.18/35
Total 60/100

The Silent

Blizzard Feeling
The only icon i see here that gives off a blizzard type feeling is the hero icon itself, the rest are kinda random and cartoony in there own way. These need too be fixed up.4/10

Theme
You followed the theme greatly here because each ability goes with your selected hero, although some abilitys are hard too make out and are quite confusing.13/20

Creativity
Some icons here are very creative indeed, but maybe if they were made differently and they don’t look very cartoony because that isn’t blizzard made nor helps your score out in the long run! 13/35

Technical Note
The 2nd icon looks very random and i can’t make out what is in the gloves hand, also with the 4th icon at first glance i can’t tell that is a bullet that bounced from target to target, these need to make presented better.14/35
Total 44/100

Windrunner29

Blizzard Feeling
Your hero icon obviously has the blizzard touch too it, also the 3rd icon seems too have it also, as for the others it has a little bit of that blizzard touch but they seem very pixeled.5/10

Theme
Followed the theme good, each icon has the same color scheme like always, and the abilitys look like they match up with the hero itself.15/20

Creativity
I would of liked too see more creativity here for this hero, maybe some armor magic or something very different and something someone wouldn’t have guessed too make.14/35
Technical NoteAlot of unused black space in areas creating random spots, id like see these spots made up with maybe an aura of some kind or something too fill in the space so everything flows better. Also, the 3rd icon with the scales, they seems misshaped in some of them.13/35
Total 47/100

W.I.S.D.O.M.

Blizzard Feeling
I like these icons because of the colors and how each icon is presented, they all have a blizzard feeling which i like. I love the 2nd icon where he’s swinging the blade, thats my favorite.8/10

Theme
You followed the theme pretty good, color scheme, the abilitys match up with the hero himself. And, also each icon shows something different in what the hero can do.15/20

Creativity
I like these icons because i can tell you thought about each one and how you wanna make it look like your hero means business! The 4th icon pops out so much and catches my eye which is good.19/35

Technical Note
The 3rd icons colors could of been a lot better, i see some pink and green which doesn’t really go with the overall color scheme here. As for the rest they are really nice great job.20/35
Total 62/100

results.png

The calculations are as follows, in descending order.

morbent
(72/100 + 77/100 + 80/100)/3 * 75 + (22/66) * 25 = 65,583

Sin'dorei300
(75/100 + 77/100 + 59/100)/3 * 75 + (13/66) * 25 = 57,674

PeeKay
(70/100 + 81/100 + 55/100)/3 * 75 + ( 9/66) * 25 = 54,909

~Nightmare
(59/100 + 62/100 + 49/100)/3 * 75 + (12/66) * 25 = 47,045

stein123
(48/100 + 63/100 + 60/100)/3 * 75 + ( 1/66) * 25 = 43,128

W.I.S.D.O.M
(50/100 + 50/100 + 62/100)/3 * 75 + ( 4/66) * 25 = 42,015

The Silent
(43/100 + 61/100 + 44/100)/3 * 75 + ( 2/66) * 25 = 37,757

Heinvers
(41/100 + 56/100 + 42/100)/3 * 75 + ( 2/66) * 25 = 35,507

eubz
(46/100 + 50/100 + 43/100)/3 * 75 + ( 0/66) * 25 = 34,750

Windrunner29
(25/100 + 54/100 + 47/100)/3 * 75 + ( 1/66) * 25 = 31,878

209577-albums5234-picture102142.png

Congratulations to all participants!
Special thanks to the jury.

Contest l Poll

Level 28
Wow well this feels... strange. Didn't expect it. It's an.. honor.

Great job to everyone on this contest :cgrin:! I just wish all people could have made it to the end, there were some great icons that got left behind there...

On a side note, BlazeKraze, when did you get disqualified? I did not follow that.. Late entry I'm assuming or something?

Hmm... well I have a question as to why voting for yourself is possible and why that disqualifies you instead of just removing your vote and asking you nicely not to do it but.. I'm guessing I have an idea of what you're going to say and this would be rather off-topic, if we start a conversation about it here.

That is what happened the first time he did it. But he did it again.

Roland

R

Roland

PZp6WJX.gif

Congratulations Morbent Moooseee!
Big hug for the participants too C:

Status
Not open for further replies.