• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icefrog working for Valve's DotA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
It seems that Icefrog is now the lead Dev for the Valve version of DotA. Personally I like the idea. I just hope that it doesnt kill WC3 Bnet
What does everyone think of DotA having their own servers on steam and no longer taking up every other game on Bnet? Plus what do you expect it to be like.

Level 6
There is League of Legends already, so I don't know why they'd switch Dota over to Steam. Does fine on Wc3 as a "mod" already. I don't play it, but I imagine that those who do would rather it stay on Wc3.

Level 30
I was under the impression IceFrog is developing a brand new game for Valve called Demigod? :)

The game-style is similar to DOTA, however, its not actually the same game. Therefore, the DOTA map on Battle.net is completely unrelated to Valve's new game meaning Valve has no legal grounds to prevent Warcraft players from hosting it :)

EDIT: Yes this is wrong :) But I thought I'd leave it here for everyone to laugh at :)

Last edited:
Level 17
Overrated map. Not all that special. Dota killed wc3, as if it was a parasite that took it over. Most people don't even know about wc3 being a rts or about all the other custom maps. They just think Dota is an other name for wc3...

/rant

Oh steam is nothing more then a DRM that includes a Store. And games on Steam do not have anything in common with Valve for that matter (except for the few that were made by Valve.

Anyway, it becomming it's own game and going byebye from bnet? Good riddance, maybe I'll actually see some other custom maps in the list now.

Level 34
The following could happen:
1 - Valve-Icefrog company release a DotA game on Steam.
2 - Wc3's population decreases, a lot.
3 - 90% of the players torrent the new game.
4 - 90% can't play online since it's torrented.
5 - Some of them are angry, some of them cry, but the majority of them returns to Wc3.
6 - Valve cries while Icefrog faps to his new game.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Has ANYONE here even heard of League of Legends? (http://www.lol-europe.com).

That's the supposed Dota-killer, since it's from the guys that made Dota.

Demigod was going to kill DotA - it was a disgrace. League of Legends was a new game from Guinsoo (one of the original creators of DotA), it's cool, but it's not DotA - even if it is more so than Demigod. Now, Heroes of Newerth is the only one yet that actually feels like DotA (simply because it mostly is the exact same game, with some additions, tweaks and a lot better graphic and match-making system), and even that can't kill WC3-DotA. I can't see why IceFrog would even make another one, now that HoN is so well on it's way, if he's not planning something completely different (LoL is completely different, for reference) and new. Even if it increase modability, and generally everything not in the game itself (everything basically happens in the current match with WC3-DotA, while with match-making systems, stats-tracking and the likes, it creates a more complete environment).

Level 8
Guinsoon wanst the original creator of DotA. He stole the map from a guy called Eul.

Thats how it goes. Only guys who steal popular maps get to work with these big companies.

So, just stop making your maps and become cool map stealers, because thats the way to succes.

Level 30
Guinsoon wanst the original creator of DotA. He stole the map from a guy called Eul.

Thats how it goes. Only guys who steal popular maps get to work with these big companies.

So, just stop making your maps and become cool map stealers, because thats the way to succes.

That was a little harsh to be fair ;)

IceFrog may not have been it's original creator, however, he developed the map far beyond anyone's expectations into something incredibly popular :) You make it sound like he just stole the map and passed it on as his own without making any changes? If you compared the originals to IceFrog's newer versions they just aren't the same game :)

IceFrog put a lot of effort into the map and fully deserves the job opportunity he was given :)

Level 8
DotA was popular even before Guinsoon stole it.

I dont know if they did good or bad work when developing dota further, but there is still no reason to give them credit about stuff they didnt do.

The game was already there. They didnt create the game. They just added more stuff to it.

( There is a difference between adding stuff and designing all the gameplay mechanics and how the shit plays out and stuff, in other words: making a map. )

Guinsoon was pretty good at stealing Heroes from other maps and for example wc3search, btw.

edit. The repice to DotAs popularity was already there. IceFrog didnt invented it. He just cooked more soup by following that repice.

Im not saying that it was a bad thing. He probably did pretty OK & good job, because DotA is today insanely popular.

Its just that the people tend to forget that IceFrog is not the creator of that game.

Level 9
That was a little harsh to be fair ;)

IceFrog may not have been it's original creator, however, he developed the map far beyond anyone's expectations into something incredibly popular :) You make it sound like he just stole the map and passed it on as his own without making any changes? If you compared the originals to IceFrog's newer versions they just aren't the same game :)

IceFrog put a lot of effort into the map and fully deserves the job opportunity he was given :)

Exactly correct, and if Icefrog hadn't come around and helped the map DotA probably would not be as popular as it is today, and lets face it Icefrog did an amazing job with the map even though he didnt "create the map" but he still made it what it is today.

Level 35
Erm, paying him, providing the team, and taking the risks isn't exactly "riding off his success".

Reds...

Valve will still earn 2000 times the cash Icefrog does, for the guy's idea. Although I am not sure what the concept of the game is, even if the income is just the advertisements (which I highly doubt), it will sure add to some already huge pockets.

valve just bought out one of blizzard's assets :D

World War III is close. D:

Level 8
Exactly correct, and if Icefrog hadn't come around and helped the map DotA probably would not be as popular as it is today...

That is just not true. DotA was already popular, and whatever made it popular was invented long before IceFrog and Guinsoon.

The repice to DotAs popularity was already there. IceFrog didnt invented it. He just cooked more soup by following that repice.

But there is also more than just the map itself behind DotAs popularity. DotA is what it is today, because those guys started to play it competively and did all that clan and league stuff and things like that.

There are many things Guinsoon and IceFrog did, but creating that map is not one of them.

Hell, most of stuff IceFrog has added has been invented by some guys in some DotA forums...

Level 8
If someone started to release new versions of your Diablo 3 map without your permission, what would you call that guy?

Level 30
If someone started to release new versions of your Diablo 3 map without your permission, what would you call that guy?

Diablo III Warcraft is an open-source map :) I take pride in sharing my resources with other people, and openly encourage fellow-mappers to create mods of it :)

If someone took the map and modded it sufficiently to make it better and unique, I'd have no objections :)

Level 40
Diablo III Warcraft is an open-source map :) I take pride in sharing my resources with other people, and openly encourage fellow-mappers to create mods of it :)

If someone took the map and modded it sufficiently to make it better and unique, I'd have no objections :)
What if they made no effort to indicate that you or others had any hand in the making of the map or the resources? I think most people would be rightly annoyed.

It's been years and DotA's credit list is still pathetically lacking (well, last time I checked was almost a year ago now, but even then it had been years).

What if they made no effort to indicate that you or others had any hand in the making of the map or the resources? I think most people would be rightly annoyed.

It's been years and DotA's credit list is still pathetically lacking (well, last time I checked was almost a year ago now, but even then it had been years).
I would sue ppl who would mod my maps badly and mock me XD

Level 13
I don't get the point of credits. No one reads them either way. Put major contributors on the load page, and they might get read by some few players, but no one reads credits in quest log. D:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Dreadnought[dA];1387128 said:
League of Legends involves too much teamwork (currently it's 5 man gank squads/lots of roaming), and less individual skill. DotA requires tons of individual skill. So it's really up to preference. Heroes of Newerth is sortof a joke IMO. It's just DotA with a banlist that works.
I had the opposite impression. Though teamwork is essential in a game like this, DotA is no exception. Though perhaps you need more individual skill in DotA simply because the heroes are more intricate. Without teamwork, it doesn't matter how skillful you are in neither games. Agreed about HoN, but that's one of the things DotA needs - the possibility to actually play public games (some people just don't have the time and devotion to play in a clan)without everyone leaving once they realize they'll lose.

One could argue Eul stole it from everyone else that made AoS' (I honestly don't know who invented it). The point is that both IceFrog and Guinsoo brought a lot of new inventions to DotA, and increased its popularity greatly. Besides, both Eul and Guinsoo are receiving sufficient credit (admittedly, I don't know if that credit has always been there, but I believe it has).

DotA was popular even before Guinsoon stole it.

I dont know if they did good or bad work when developing dota further, but there is still no reason to give them credit about stuff they didnt do.

The game was already there. They didnt create the game. They just added more stuff to it.

( There is a difference between adding stuff and designing all the gameplay mechanics and how the shit plays out and stuff, in other words: making a map. )

Guinsoon was pretty good at stealing Heroes from other maps and for example wc3search, btw.

edit. The repice to DotAs popularity was already there. IceFrog didnt invented it. He just cooked more soup by following that repice.

Im not saying that it was a bad thing. He probably did pretty OK & good job, because DotA is today insanely popular.

Its just that the people tend to forget that IceFrog is not the creator of that game.
Concepts are passed on, get over it. As far as I know Eul did not develop it further, so Guinsoo brought it to the next level, then he gave up on it and IceFrog took over. DotA would not have been where it is today if it wasn't for all three. You make it sound like all Guinsoo and IceFrog did was to add units and items in the Object Manager. They did a whole lot more than that.

That is just not true. DotA was already popular, and whatever made it popular was invented long before IceFrog and Guinsoon.

But there is also more than just the map itself behind DotAs popularity. DotA is what it is today, because those guys started to play it competively and did all that clan and league stuff and things like that.

There are many things Guinsoon and IceFrog did, but creating that map is not one of them.

Hell, most of stuff IceFrog has added has been invented by some guys in some DotA forums...
It was not as popular as DotA is now, it was on the same level as everything else (at least in Europe) - various Arenas and TDs were a lot more popular. There's more to a map than the initial idea, further development (bugfixing and expanding) is the larger part of the job. Could compare it to making a drawing - first you sketch it, and it takes a lot of inspiration and creativity to come up with the right idea. Then you work on the sketch to make it into something substantial, perhaps you have to tweak it a bit to make it better. Then you start fleshing out the details, and make the finishing touches. IceFrog is in the tweaking state. Eul made the sketch. Valve and IceFrog will perhaps do the finishing touches.

Level 40
I don't get the point of credits. No one reads them either way. Put major contributors on the load page, and they might get read by some few players, but no one reads credits in quest log. D:
Credits are a way to thank people who directly or indirectly helped with the map. Some people care and it is as much a matter of polity as anything, as people assume that everything was made by you (the map maker) unless you say otherwise.

I had the opposite impression. Though teamwork is essential in a game like this, DotA is no exception. Though perhaps you need more individual skill in DotA simply because the heroes are more intricate. Without teamwork, it doesn't matter how skillful you are in neither games. Agreed about HoN, but that's one of the things DotA needs - the possibility to actually play public games (some people just don't have the time and devotion to play in a clan)without everyone leaving once they realize they'll lose.
Why wouldn't you leave when you realize you've lost? It is hardly fun when it becomes a one-way stomp.

One could argue Eul stole it from everyone else that made AoS' (I honestly don't know who invented it). The point is that both IceFrog and Guinsoo brought a lot of new inventions to DotA, and increased its popularity greatly. Besides, both Eul and Guinsoo are receiving sufficient credit (admittedly, I don't know if that credit has always been there, but I believe it has).
What about all the coders and resource makers, not to mention the people whose implemented ideas (spells mainly) were unceremoniously stolen (without credit)?

It was not as popular as DotA is now, it was on the same level as everything else (at least in Europe) - various Arenas and TDs were a lot more popular. There's more to a map than the initial idea, further development (bugfixing and expanding) is the larger part of the job. Could compare it to making a drawing - first you sketch it, and it takes a lot of inspiration and creativity to come up with the right idea. Then you work on the sketch to make it into something substantial, perhaps you have to tweak it a bit to make it better. Then you start fleshing out the details, and make the finishing touches. IceFrog is in the tweaking state. Eul made the sketch. Valve and IceFrog will perhaps do the finishing touches.
You make the stupid assumption that DotA getting more popular over time is due to the makers and not the fact that everything else is in fact dying off (which seems to be the case). It's not like DotA hosting has greatly increased; rather, hosting of other games has decreased much more so.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Why wouldn't you leave when you realize you've lost? It is hardly fun when it becomes a one-way stomp.
Wouldn't it be just great if the losing team in a football match just left the arena? Seriously, just 'cause it seems your opponents are great, it doesn't mean you can't win (or more importantly, can't have fun). For instance, with a team made of late-game heroes versus a team of early-game heroes. The early-game team will dominate the first 20 minutes, perhaps 30 minutes, and then the late-game team will take over because the early-game heroes can't keep up (unless they already finished the game, which is a possibility). Now, with the current morality of public DotA players, the game would never get to the point where the late-game team wins, because half of that team has already left.

What about all the coders and resource makers, not to mention the people whose implemented ideas (spells mainly) were unceremoniously stolen (without credit)?

I don't know anything about that, I've never tried to find out and I never will. I have heard that IceFrog has been stealing spells without giving credit, but even if he has, I can't see the big problem. When you upload a spell (or any other resource) to a site like wc3sear.ch (or the Hive), you're giving it away. Of course, it's an expected gesture to give some credit to the creator, but it's not really prohibited not to care.

You make the stupid assumption that DotA getting more popular over time is due to the makers and not the fact that everything else is in fact dying off (which seems to be the case). It's not like DotA hosting has greatly increased; rather, hosting of other games has decreased much more so.
The popularity grew because of the map and because of the community, not because some TD is getting less popular. DotA games (especially inhouse) did increase to a certain extent, and that's not because of anything else than DotA itself. If you stop hosting TDs it's not like more people will play DotA. Besides, DotA is on the decline, the core players that have been with it for a long time are getting old (including me), we're just not that passionate about it any more. IceFrog with Valve is a last scream to those players, as well as a stunt to get more new players to the community. There's nearly no DotA games hosted on BNet anymore, it's crowded with Arena this, Zombie that..

By not crediting the authors of the resources you use, you clearly show what a thankless disrepectful moronic leeching douchebag you are towards those authors.

Now to be ontopic:
I don't have to worry about this event, since I don't like DotA AllStars anyway.

DotA takes up the majority of wc3's custom game list. Thankfully, we won't see that in Steam.

Level 8
IceFrog and Guinsoon do deserve the credit about that community stuff, but they still didnt create that map. They did update DotA frequently, which is one reason why it lived and could gain more popularity but that still doesnt mean that they created that map.

They just rode with it succes. They used its popularity to make more popularity, just like business man who makes more money with the money he stole from some other guy.

And DotA would still be without IceFrog and Guinsoon, but not without Eul.
The joke is that these guys are still the ones who pull profit out of it.

It might not be what it is today without those guys, yes thats true, but there is still no reason to give them credit from creating that map, because they didnt.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

IceFrog and Guinsoon do deserve the credit about that community stuff, but they still didnt create that map. They did update DotA frequently, which is one reason why it lived and could gain more popularity but that still doesnt mean that they created that map.

They just rode with it succes. They used its popularity to make more popularity, just like business man who makes more money with the money he stole from some other guy.

Except neither of them stole it.
And DotA would still be without IceFrog and Guinsoon, but not without Eul.
The joke is that these guys are still the ones who pull profit out of it.
How do you know Eul doesn't get anything from all of this? He's the one who came up with it, just seeing it's success is a reward.

It might not be what it is today without those guys, yes thats true, but there is still no reason to give them credit from creating that map, because they didnt.

They're not taking credit for creating* the map, they're taking credit for developing it.

*meaning coming up with the original DotA.

Dan van Ohllus said:
DotA takes up the majority of wc3's custom game list. Thankfully, we won't see that in Steam.
I don't know about America or Asia, but in Europe it's not even taking up 10%, it's hard to find a DotA game on BNet.

Level 12
I don't know about America or Asia, but in Europe it's not even taking up 10%, it's hard to find a DotA game on BNet

Where I play in America, we are totally screwed over by Dota and Green TD.I don't know why people like either (especially the horribly leaky Green TD) but the play. I think Vikuna once said:
People play Dota because it is popular.
Dota is popular because people play it.

So it is very redundant. People play it because they can easily get others to join, and get a quick game start. The reason they get a qucik game start is because it is the only map that is played. I mean a few people like it, but many who play it dont. (Like monoploy. Even if you think you like it, you don't =D)

Besides, All Dota players that I meet have:
a) poor grammar such as "U got pwneded by m8"
b) extreme rudeness and need to swear. "Don't f*cking go there! I will kick you b*tchy a*s you son of a f*ck"
c) extreme cockiness "You got no chance playing me noob"
d) no live " I once played Dota for 6 hours"

So, yeah I hate Dota with my heart, soul, mind, and kidney.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

But they did. When Eul left his goodbye post and made map open source, Guinsoon had already stole it from him.

If you dont know what stealing means, find a dictionary.

I'd say the exact same thing to you. I shan't brag I know every little detail about the incident, but the moment Eul hosted the map anywhere, the term stealing his map lost its meaning. So unless Guinsoo hacked his computer and released DotA as his map before Eul did it himself, Guinsoo did not steal the map.

Level 11
Maybe you "own" the idea, custom scripts, custom models/textures etc. But you are not allowed to sell your creation. That is a restriction blizzard made and you agreed to by clicking the accept button after reading the EULA.

Level 11
Blizzard doesn't own the content created without the use of the editor or other resources ownd by Blizzard. Means your models/textures, music, dialogtexts etc are still yours, but due to the fact you combined them using the editor you are not allowed to sell the result.

Level 12
I would say Blizzard owns every custom map. Why? The map wouldn't exist without Blizzard creating WC3.

Now, I doubt anybody read the fine print in those books you got with the battle chest, but Bliz has the right to shut off the servers whenever they feel like it, so if Dota, a very Stupid piece of garbage popular map loses a majority of the players, Bliz would probably flip the switch and cut it. In theory ofc.

But, just imaging what profits Icefrog could get from this, I mean, the the amount of Dotards out there, he'll rack in the $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.