1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll has begun! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icefrog working for Valve's DotA

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Lil_Scubby, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Lil_Scubby

Lil_Scubby

Resources:
    Resources:
    It seems that Icefrog is now the lead Dev for the Valve version of DotA. Personally I like the idea. I just hope that it doesnt kill WC3 Bnet
    What does everyone think of DotA having their own servers on steam and no longer taking up every other game on Bnet? Plus what do you expect it to be like.

2. xXxTWiST3DxXx

xXxTWiST3DxXx

Resources:
    Resources:
    undefined

Lol,i personally think that Dota should remain the way it is.

3. Carrigage

Carrigage

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is League of Legends already, so I don't know why they'd switch Dota over to Steam. Does fine on Wc3 as a "mod" already. I don't play it, but I imagine that those who do would rather it stay on Wc3.

4. crawdaddy029

crawdaddy029

Resources:
    Resources:
    which way does blizzard swing on this decision? and would it kill off DOTA entirly on Bnet as its now going to have copyright laws for another company?

5. CloudWolf

CloudWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was under the impression IceFrog is developing a brand new game for Valve called Demigod? :)

The game-style is similar to DOTA, however, its not actually the same game. Therefore, the DOTA map on Battle.net is completely unrelated to Valve's new game meaning Valve has no legal grounds to prevent Warcraft players from hosting it :)

EDIT: Yes this is wrong :) But I thought I'd leave it here for everyone to laugh at :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Overrated map. Not all that special. Dota killed wc3, as if it was a parasite that took it over. Most people don't even know about wc3 being a rts or about all the other custom maps. They just think Dota is an other name for wc3...

/rant

Oh steam is nothing more then a DRM that includes a Store. And games on Steam do not have anything in common with Valve for that matter (except for the few that were made by Valve.

Anyway, it becomming it's own game and going byebye from bnet? Good riddance, maybe I'll actually see some other custom maps in the list now.

7. TheDivineBoss

TheDivineBoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    The following could happen:
    1 - Valve-Icefrog company release a DotA game on Steam.
    2 - Wc3's population decreases, a lot.
    3 - 90% of the players torrent the new game.
    4 - 90% can't play online since it's torrented.
    5 - Some of them are angry, some of them cry, but the majority of them returns to Wc3.
    6 - Valve cries while Icefrog faps to his new game.

8. Lil_Scubby

Lil_Scubby

Resources:
    Resources:
  9. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    So what? It would be nice if DOTA would appear in steam;) Cuz there is nothing negative XD and i think warcraft is getting old, i guess in 2011 it won't have alot of players and there won't be any tournaments etc.

10. CloudWolf

CloudWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    oh, by the way, completely disregard what I said before :) My sources LIE ;)

11. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, it will be an interesting test to see whether IceFrog is a competent game designer and not just someone who rides off others' success.

12. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    And Valve rides off IceFrog's success.

Capitalists...

13. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hopefully this will end DotA's rain on wc3!

14. Carrigage

Carrigage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Has ANYONE here even heard of League of Legends? (http://www.lol-europe.com).

That's the supposed Dota-killer, since it's from the guys that made Dota.

15. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    How can people play a game called LoL? D:

16. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Erm, paying him, providing the team, and taking the risks isn't exactly "riding off his success".

Reds...

17. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Demigod was going to kill DotA - it was a disgrace. League of Legends was a new game from Guinsoo (one of the original creators of DotA), it's cool, but it's not DotA - even if it is more so than Demigod. Now, Heroes of Newerth is the only one yet that actually feels like DotA (simply because it mostly is the exact same game, with some additions, tweaks and a lot better graphic and match-making system), and even that can't kill WC3-DotA. I can't see why IceFrog would even make another one, now that HoN is so well on it's way, if he's not planning something completely different (LoL is completely different, for reference) and new. Even if it increase modability, and generally everything not in the game itself (everything basically happens in the current match with WC3-DotA, while with match-making systems, stats-tracking and the likes, it creates a more complete environment).

18. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    League of Legends involves too much teamwork (currently it's 5 man gank squads/lots of roaming), and less individual skill. DotA requires tons of individual skill. So it's really up to preference. Heroes of Newerth is sortof a joke IMO. It's just DotA with a banlist that works.

19. Viikuna

Viikuna

Resources:
    Resources:
    Guinsoon wanst the original creator of DotA. He stole the map from a guy called Eul.

Thats how it goes. Only guys who steal popular maps get to work with these big companies.

So, just stop making your maps and become cool map stealers, because thats the way to succes.

20. CloudWolf

CloudWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That was a little harsh to be fair ;)

IceFrog may not have been it's original creator, however, he developed the map far beyond anyone's expectations into something incredibly popular :) You make it sound like he just stole the map and passed it on as his own without making any changes? If you compared the originals to IceFrog's newer versions they just aren't the same game :)

IceFrog put a lot of effort into the map and fully deserves the job opportunity he was given :)