• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HT®'s very teh 1337 terrain + NEW SCREENS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
i have to admit the lone vine bothers me. i like the idea of it but i think there would be more than one elongated vine hanging, sort of like a row of them

Level 10
Very nice, I like the cave one, I'll go inside with you:p Mabey we might find bats that look like sh1t o_O

thx for teh comments ;) demonsofdante, u n00b u didnt s33 there is one more vine111 *kidding*
xD there are two of them...
i knew what u meant...
i thought to place more though... but i thought it would look overdetailed then.. anyway im gonna start terraing for playable maps, and soon i will post forest terrain template which shows you how to create good looking PLAYABLE terrain with imported models...

and yes, i owe half the help to you for finding that precious terraing map ;)

EDIT:

Here is my first playable terrain! it is simple forest though, very typical
PLAYABLEFOREST.jpg

Last edited:
Level 10
Im not a expert in terrian, but does that tree building/unit(idk) don't fit in that picture?

Its still a great picture though:)

Level 2
A message about terraining...

Terraining is hard, challenging, fun and rewarding... all at the same time. It's great when people go 'wow' or just when you add that little subtle touch of reality that draws someone deeper into an adventure.

But for those of you who are not active terrainers, or just puts around with it, there is one thing you need to know.

There is a BIG difference between terraining to terrain and what I call 'Functional' terrain.

If you go to wc3campaigns and look up 2-P's terrain you will be mighty impressed, as well you should be, the stuff he does is mind boggling. HOWEVER, I am just as impressed with HT's terrain from the stand point that it is for inclusion in a map. 2-P is quick to point out that he doesn't do maps, only makes terrain. There is a big difference.

When you are terraining for a map you have to take into account lots of different variables. Sometimes you have to vary your tilesets to hit all the areas that will be included in a map therefore limiting your ability to use specific terrains. You have to be aware of doodad count, of import size, of other models that are going to be included (character models, bosses, ect), other graphics that are going to be included (icons, loadscreens, ect...) and of the amount of space you have to leave for coding to get done properly. Its more than just 'lets put more doodads here.'

Terraining is an artform. Terraining for a functional map is the ultimate combination of artform and skill in resource management and if you can make 'functional terrain' look good then you have taken the first step in terraining success.

Great job.

Level 2
Uh, how is praising HT for making 'functional terrain' off topic? Oh wellz...

well, in my terrain you never see more than 200 doodads in one frame so... no worry baut doodcount. And this terrain isnt *too* functional (it is if it is 3rd person map or a cinnie) and yes, ive seen 2-p's ghejs' terrain and all other good terrains on campaigns. Actually my work was rated as low-average, on wc3campaigns, since it is rated by b2m, who models for his own terrain (which then normally looks far better than mine) he is like "Wow look at those models* and then he places them randomly -.-

And K.Oz isnt adversitment, he is just pointing out good terrain.

Level 25
Powerful Advice: Do not rush yourself or try to make a masterpiece less than 10 minutes. It takes me forever terrain stuff and make it look good. Just take this advice because the longer you work on something, the more you notice and fix flaws in the terrain. :)

Level 6
Wow you realy update alot :p

The last one looks nice, its nothing special add some height variation into these uber sharp walls and lower the barrack. I like the idea of the base somwehow.
Maybe you can add some yellow/brown coloured grass doodad or something maybe the river rushes without cattails. In the Background would fit a harbor with water~

Edit: Wow K.Oz youre totall right well done.
And the difference between HT playable and non playable Terrain is epic, but its alot harder to create a good looking playable map, instead of a mere screen.

Wow you realy update alot :p

The last one looks nice, its nothing special add some height variation into these uber sharp walls and lower the barrack. I like the idea of the base somwehow.
Maybe you can add some yellow/brown coloured grass doodad or something maybe the river rushes without cattails. In the Background would fit a harbor with water~

Edit: Wow K.Oz youre totall right well done.
And the difference between HT playable and non playable Terrain is epic, but its alot harder to create a good looking playable map, instead of a mere screen.

totaly right. and oh the last one is playable, VERY playable

Level 2
If i would be in your place i would create a campaign !!! That is some damn good terrains !!! :eek:

Level 5
I agree. The cave is great! I really get that dark, scary, cave feeling. And your first screenshot. It looks great. I really enjoy looking at it. Just...the grass is really green in the lower right corner. But it looks good!

Level 5
Very nice the last one seems like XR in WoW a bit.

But I would like to see more in game terrains they are what really interest me for they are the ones you really see... unless you change camera view for the whole game lol. Most of them probly wouldnt look that great in game.
Depending on the camera it changes to look more then almost anything. I did filmschool thing last summer and thats what they teach us is to always get the camera just perfect and it will look way different then just throwing the camera in saying record.

Level 5
o ok sorry i was going on assumption anyways if they didnt look good with a default in game camera. looking forward to seeing them though. the screenshots would be a cool loading screen. (hint hint maybe an outland, hellfire penninsula themed one for my arena's loading screen.) haha. But what i like is fog effects and all that you use most people dont use them anymore.

Level 6
Reminds me also of wow, but it looks horrible, sorry.

All the hills are so steep and pointy, but eh it has a good wow feeling and so it looks good when you compare it to wow.

Level 25
HappyTauren made all of the doodads himself for Elwyn Forest. They're primarily for the Elwyn Forest in Wc3:WoW but they've been publicly distributed at the Wc3:WoW forum. Thread can be found in the Hosted Projects area.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.