1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HOW WOULD YOU COMPETE WITH DOTA?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by DragonFire, Aug 27, 2005.

?

Do you like dota?

1. Yes

88.7%
  2. No

10.1%
  3. Never played it

1.2%
  1. DragonFire

DragonFire

Resources:
    Resources:
    :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

:) Im in the middle of my own map to compete with dota called "the plague of the ancients" which will be out by the end of the month but right now i want to know your ideas for comepting with dota. I will not steal them!

:arrow: Also im looking for a skin editer and model editer for the infecting map, and i need a terrain editer for my terror on the seas map.

2. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ehmm don't write topics in Caps. And requests go to the requests forum.

-Rui

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  3. JetPack

JetPack

Resources:
    Resources:
    DotA: Allstars is a terrible, terrible map. The map that is slowly catching up to it on Azeroth is EotA: Twilight. They are hosted at WarCraft 3 Mod Forge which you can get to by clicking my signature. EotA is a map that requires team work and thinking to win, DotA is essetionally a horribly unbalanced hero arena.

4. orcfan32

orcfan32

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think that DotA is fun, but I'm a newb at it sooooo much. :) I'm making my own DotA-like map called "Call of the Moon". Good luck with yours, DragonFire!

5. blademasterEXO

blademasterEXO

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, can't believe people are making AOS maps to compete with dota. Same like me, I'm making a map called !War Of Heroes!. I will upload the Beta version sometime in september (I hope). And Good luck to those people who are making their maps.

6. The_Prophet

The_Prophet

Resources:
    Resources:
    You frogot its also a poorly made map :roll:

7. Shadowstalker

Shadowstalker

Resources:
    Resources:
    i like DotA too..

and i'm making my own map like DotA too.. hehe..
    it's titled Reign of Chaos..
    based on the third war.. =)

ive got an idea.. after you guyz make ur map.. let's team up and make our own big DotA like project.. =)
    the more brains we got the better will it be, right?.. =)

good luck to all of ya then.. =)

8. blademasterEXO

blademasterEXO

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Why does people say dota a very bad map. It's not boring and why does Jetpack and The_Prophet say it's a "Hero Arena"? It's totally an AOS.

9. Telefragged

Telefragged

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is not like an AOS, in which the goal is to destroy as many buildings as possible. Instead, it is like a hero arena as the goal is mainly to kill other heroes and to buff your hero as much as possible so you can accomplish the aforementioned goal. While it still does have elements of an AOS, it does so because it was stolen off Dota Classic (you can find the original versions at thewarcenter.com). Of course, we must remember lots of stuff were stolen and Guinsoo deleted the credits for some of them. IceFrog has given out some credit, but well, some of them are still not recognized.

Another thing. JetPack, your sig leads to wc3modfore, not wc3modforge! Fix the typo! ;)

10. N00byStance

N00byStance

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Shit, for Godness sake, it isn't DoTA-style map, but AoS ffs =.="

11. Laosh'Ra

Laosh'Ra

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    aos for EotA, i think its better made than dota. HOWEVER! dota requires more teamplay than ANY other map i know so far. u guys obviously havent seen a good team at work. or if u have u just called their heroes imba and left :roll: besides its defo not a hero arena. the "not aos coz u dont have to destroy buildings" is totally wrong too: destroy barracks to reduce creepspawm, all barracks for mega creeps, towers for much more gold than a kill would give you... its NOT just focused on kills. many ppl go for that and lose. e.g. i played a game 2 days ago, ending 22:64 but the team with 22 kills won because they focused on push. besides that, the variety of 73 heroes is hardly touchable. the items giving abilities like ww, critical, avatar, chainlightning-on-attack, aoe-heal&bonusarmor etc. etc. are well thought out. and the "imbalance" appears if certain heroes become fed too much. in the end all heroes are about equally strong. each has its unique tactics and itemcombos making them "imba". thats why i always pick random and theres not a SINGLE hero i wouldnt like to play with. best balance ever. if u think a hero is imba its just a good player playing him. theres are so much important details you'll start to notice after like 30 games. till then ur just a free kill for ur opponents.
    anyway, that the map features the INVOKER!!! best hero ever made.
    bad parts i have to agree with: terrain isnt very exciting, same is for SOME abilities as they are just modified default skills.
    as for the community: it sux a bit. many flame or moan around... but i still like the map. :p

12. ssj2_Gohan

ssj2_Gohan

Resources:
    Resources:
    well... let's not change the subject to DOTA... mainly i think DotA is crap and an insult to other good warcraft maps (please don't bring any off-topic comments , were talking about another persons map). Really i think we should make a contest....first one to make a map to overthrow dota on atleast one channel wins! :)....good luck to your map..and to the others as well that seek to overthrow dota >:). Show us your imagination and talent.

13. The_Prophet

The_Prophet

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its a very poorly made map. The triggering is so inefficient, and the balance is non existant. The Recipes are really what cuase the game to be a "hero Arena" since the heros get so godly with their +200 attack that it no longer becomes a game of wits, but more of a game of who can right click on the other hero the fastest. But thats not the worst part. To me its the lack of hero creativity. Sure some of the newer heros seem to be pretty cool, but the vast majority of heros still have stock skills such as critical strike or storm bolt.

14. blademasterEXO

blademasterEXO

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I dont know why u guys say dota is stupid. Anyways the recipe does not change anything. Like u said they are "godly" the_prophet. But at the beginning u have to farm a lot to get those "godly" items. That means u'll have to try really hard to get those "godly" items. Makes an AOS map even more fun.

15. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I prefer Eota, Way more fun :)

16. Crazynutter

Crazynutter

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hmmmm let me think about this :

Step 1 : Get a Cyber-Flamethrower
    Step 2 : Enter Everyones Wc3 Map Database
    Step 3 : Burn every single c**p copy of it, leaving only originals
    Step 4 : Go to an Ale House and have a Toast to Dota

4 Steps to how I would compete with Dota

17. The_Prophet

The_Prophet

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sud from the Helper Technical Support Forums says:

18. Pyrodactyl

Pyrodactyl

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately 90% of the aos games on Bnet are Dota games (i haven't seen an Eternal Conflict hosted on Bnet for ages, though it's 100000 times better).

I don't know why people like that game so much. I cannot say it's so small (1.5 megs if i remember well - and just because of the few crappy imported skins and WOW icons), though the loading time is fast. Although a DOTA match usually lasts 20 minutes or a half hour, it's much more boring than an EC match that last about 2 hours. And heroes are unballanced, and there are WAY too much of them (i even found some buggy ones, like the tauren earthshaker that simply crashed my whole W3).

And even this small "fun" of dota is runed by LEAVERS. I think they are the main reason why there are no more EC games hosted on bnet. To start a game that loads for several minutes, and would last 2 hours, but because of a stupid a$$hole who leaves 2 minutes after strat because he died you can just create it again and wait...

19. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well as said already, the map is very ineffciient. Ill elaborate.

- Heroes are unbalanced, some r sick/godlike the others are simply a pile of ****.
    - Half the spells are NOT custom, just been given a differnet name
    - So many heroes have the same spells, how many heroes have stormbolt, vampiric attack, ctritical strike...
    - The creeps dont share out the gold, WHY?? its so stupid that you have to try to time the kills so you get them in stead of creeps/allys.
    - When you kill the buildings the creeps still spawn..??? Whats the point in killing the buildings.
    - You cant upgrade or improve your teams creeps in anyways, e.g. make a 2nd rax for additional units, or research a spell for them to use.
    - There are 5 heroes each side but only 3 lanes....??
    - If someone leaves the game is generally ruined, sure you get his share of gold, but you no longer can get the gold he would farm were he still in game.

Anyways im sure theres many more things, but I'll just leave it at that.

I know every1 says this :p , but im making a DOTA map based from MTG/magic myself. This map really will set the new "template".

That Aots map, I thought was impressive, very nice descriptions on heroes/abilities.
    Overall I think the map is alittle to big, would be better if its smaller.
    Im not sure if theres any new versions out, but it needs more content :D

20. Goliath the God

Goliath the God

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    .. I prefer Age of Myths, thats very much the same, only with alot of good custom skins, and nicely done spells.. And I am better in that than DotA..

I would say that DotA, EotA and AoM is pretty much a AoS, because.. the main ogjective IS to destroy all the enemy buildings, killing heroes is just a sub-objective to earn gold for your hero, so that you can buff it up with equipment. That does not bring it to the state of a Hero Arena, wich mainly consist of buying TOMES to buff up ur hero, and the winner is the team with most Hero kills. I can't see the connection between that and DotA .. :roll: