• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HOW WOULD YOU COMPETE WITH DOTA?

Do you like dota?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

:) Im in the middle of my own map to compete with dota called "the plague of the ancients" which will be out by the end of the month but right now i want to know your ideas for comepting with dota. I will not steal them!

:arrow: Also im looking for a skin editer and model editer for the infecting map, and i need a terrain editer for my terror on the seas map.

Level 3
DotA: Allstars is a terrible, terrible map. The map that is slowly catching up to it on Azeroth is EotA: Twilight. They are hosted at WarCraft 3 Mod Forge which you can get to by clicking my signature. EotA is a map that requires team work and thinking to win, DotA is essetionally a horribly unbalanced hero arena.

Level 3
DotA: Allstars is a terrible, terrible map. The map that is slowly catching up to it on Azeroth is EotA: Twilight. They are hosted at WarCraft 3 Mod Forge which you can get to by clicking my signature. EotA is a map that requires team work and thinking to win, DotA is essetionally a horribly unbalanced hero arena.

You frogot its also a poorly made map :roll:

Level 5
i like DotA too..

and i'm making my own map like DotA too.. hehe..
it's titled Reign of Chaos..
based on the third war.. =)

ive got an idea.. after you guyz make ur map.. let's team up and make our own big DotA like project.. =)
the more brains we got the better will it be, right?.. =)

good luck to all of ya then.. =)

Level 6
blademasterEXO said:
Why does people say dota a very bad map. It's not boring and why does Jetpack and The_Prophet say it's a "Hero Arena"? It's totally an AOS.

It is not like an AOS, in which the goal is to destroy as many buildings as possible. Instead, it is like a hero arena as the goal is mainly to kill other heroes and to buff your hero as much as possible so you can accomplish the aforementioned goal. While it still does have elements of an AOS, it does so because it was stolen off Dota Classic (you can find the original versions at thewarcenter.com). Of course, we must remember lots of stuff were stolen and Guinsoo deleted the credits for some of them. IceFrog has given out some credit, but well, some of them are still not recognized.

Another thing. JetPack, your sig leads to wc3modfore, not wc3modforge! Fix the typo! ;)

Level 6
aos for EotA, i think its better made than dota. HOWEVER! dota requires more teamplay than ANY other map i know so far. u guys obviously havent seen a good team at work. or if u have u just called their heroes imba and left :roll: besides its defo not a hero arena. the "not aos coz u dont have to destroy buildings" is totally wrong too: destroy barracks to reduce creepspawm, all barracks for mega creeps, towers for much more gold than a kill would give you... its NOT just focused on kills. many ppl go for that and lose. e.g. i played a game 2 days ago, ending 22:64 but the team with 22 kills won because they focused on push. besides that, the variety of 73 heroes is hardly touchable. the items giving abilities like ww, critical, avatar, chainlightning-on-attack, aoe-heal&bonusarmor etc. etc. are well thought out. and the "imbalance" appears if certain heroes become fed too much. in the end all heroes are about equally strong. each has its unique tactics and itemcombos making them "imba". thats why i always pick random and theres not a SINGLE hero i wouldnt like to play with. best balance ever. if u think a hero is imba its just a good player playing him. theres are so much important details you'll start to notice after like 30 games. till then ur just a free kill for ur opponents.
anyway, that the map features the INVOKER!!! best hero ever made.
bad parts i have to agree with: terrain isnt very exciting, same is for SOME abilities as they are just modified default skills.
as for the community: it sux a bit. many flame or moan around... but i still like the map. :p

Level 4
well... let's not change the subject to DOTA... mainly i think DotA is crap and an insult to other good warcraft maps (please don't bring any off-topic comments , were talking about another persons map). Really i think we should make a contest....first one to make a map to overthrow dota on atleast one channel wins! :)....good luck to your map..and to the others as well that seek to overthrow dota >:). Show us your imagination and talent.

Level 3
Why does people say dota a very bad map. It's not boring and why does Jetpack and The_Prophet say it's a "Hero Arena"? It's totally an AOS.

Its a very poorly made map. The triggering is so inefficient, and the balance is non existant. The Recipes are really what cuase the game to be a "hero Arena" since the heros get so godly with their +200 attack that it no longer becomes a game of wits, but more of a game of who can right click on the other hero the fastest. But thats not the worst part. To me its the lack of hero creativity. Sure some of the newer heros seem to be pretty cool, but the vast majority of heros still have stock skills such as critical strike or storm bolt.

Level 5
I dont know why u guys say dota is stupid. Anyways the recipe does not change anything. Like u said they are "godly" the_prophet. But at the beginning u have to farm a lot to get those "godly" items. That means u'll have to try really hard to get those "godly" items. Makes an AOS map even more fun.

Level 3
Sud from the Helper Technical Support Forums says:

The idiotic masses of battle.net operate under one simple rule - "if I own with it, it's balanced, if it owns me, it's imba"

Dota caters to the newbie mindset by offering a ton of blatantly overpowered heroes (you have to be a Terri Schaivo brand of brain dead to suck with a hero like Leoric, Lion, Rhasta, Lich, Sven, Banshee, Tinker, etc.) mixed up with some not so great ones, and then throw into the mix items that are so horrendously powerful that past the 10 minute mark the game becomes about items and not heroes or teamwork or tactics. Towers are nothing more than speedbumps, there is no downside to running from a fight (other than a little less farming time, but otherwise who cares if the tower falls, we have another inner one and a horribly hard to seige high ground one in the main base). All the heroes feel the same, and there is very little need to think, because all of the abilities are dead simple and autoaim, thus you don't need to be intelligent, skilled, or particularly on the ball to win a game of dota (the other team simply has to be less intelligent than you), and that is a winning recipe for appealing to the masses.

There was a point in time when killing a tower gave that lane a SMALL little bit of damage and hp to the creeps. Boy did the dota newbies cry for a week on that until it got removed. Anything that translates into a tactical advantage (such as attacking towers when heroes are busy doing other things) is called "backdooring" and TDA makes every effort to label those people as bad players for not "charging up a lane with your team until the AoErs spam you back enough that you have to go heal". Of course any hero that can push, like furion, is banworthy (no teleporting to towers allowed) or gets nerfed into uselessness (magnataur shockwave, lucy rain of fire, etc.)

Simply put, Dota is a fisher price mode game that people seem unable to grow out of, and TDA is starting to finally recognize it. Posting anything related to balance on their forum is illegal (ban if you do), and they removed the balance forum (probably because they've finally come to the realization that indeed they don't have a clue what they're doing).

Level 5
Unfortunately 90% of the aos games on Bnet are Dota games (i haven't seen an Eternal Conflict hosted on Bnet for ages, though it's 100000 times better).

I don't know why people like that game so much. I cannot say it's so small (1.5 megs if i remember well - and just because of the few crappy imported skins and WOW icons), though the loading time is fast. Although a DOTA match usually lasts 20 minutes or a half hour, it's much more boring than an EC match that last about 2 hours. And heroes are unballanced, and there are WAY too much of them (i even found some buggy ones, like the tauren earthshaker that simply crashed my whole W3).

And even this small "fun" of dota is runed by LEAVERS. I think they are the main reason why there are no more EC games hosted on bnet. To start a game that loads for several minutes, and would last 2 hours, but because of a stupid a$$hole who leaves 2 minutes after strat because he died you can just create it again and wait...

Level 12
Well as said already, the map is very ineffciient. Ill elaborate.

- Heroes are unbalanced, some r sick/godlike the others are simply a pile of ****.
- Half the spells are NOT custom, just been given a differnet name
- So many heroes have the same spells, how many heroes have stormbolt, vampiric attack, ctritical strike...
- The creeps dont share out the gold, WHY?? its so stupid that you have to try to time the kills so you get them in stead of creeps/allys.
- When you kill the buildings the creeps still spawn..??? Whats the point in killing the buildings.
- You cant upgrade or improve your teams creeps in anyways, e.g. make a 2nd rax for additional units, or research a spell for them to use.
- There are 5 heroes each side but only 3 lanes....??
- If someone leaves the game is generally ruined, sure you get his share of gold, but you no longer can get the gold he would farm were he still in game.

Anyways im sure theres many more things, but I'll just leave it at that.

I know every1 says this :p , but im making a DOTA map based from MTG/magic myself. This map really will set the new "template".

That Aots map, I thought was impressive, very nice descriptions on heroes/abilities.
Overall I think the map is alittle to big, would be better if its smaller.
Im not sure if theres any new versions out, but it needs more content :D

.. I prefer Age of Myths, thats very much the same, only with alot of good custom skins, and nicely done spells.. And I am better in that than DotA..

I would say that DotA, EotA and AoM is pretty much a AoS, because.. the main ogjective IS to destroy all the enemy buildings, killing heroes is just a sub-objective to earn gold for your hero, so that you can buff it up with equipment. That does not bring it to the state of a Hero Arena, wich mainly consist of buying TOMES to buff up ur hero, and the winner is the team with most Hero kills. I can't see the connection between that and DotA .. :roll:

Level 5
Fulla said:

- Heroes are unbalanced, some r sick/godlike the others are simply a pile of ****.
- So many heroes have the same spells, how many heroes have stormbolt, vampiric attack, ctritical strike...
- The creeps dont share out the gold, WHY?? its so stupid that you have to try to time the kills so you get them in stead of creeps/allys.
- When you kill the buildings the creeps still spawn..??? Whats the point in killing the buildings.
- You cant upgrade or improve your teams creeps in anyways, e.g. make a 2nd rax for additional units, or research a spell for them to use.
- If someone leaves the game is generally ruined, sure you get his share of gold, but you no longer can get the gold he would farm were he still in game.

I know every1 says this :p , but im making a DOTA map based from MTG/magic myself. This map really will set the new "template".

That Aots map, I thought was impressive, very nice descriptions on heroes/abilities.
Heroes UNbalanced? are u playing old dotas or new ones from www.dota-allstars.com? 5 heroes, 3 lanes? whats the matter with that? Killing enemy production building DOES do things. They strengthen ur army in that lane. Destroying all of the enemy's unit production buildings grants ur team Super Creeps. If ur army kills a unit they do give u gold like 10-15.

Level 10
ragingspeedhorn said:
I prefer Eota, Way more fun :)

what he said. the only thing which doesnt attract people to eota is the size map. and the only other thing which doesnt attract noobs is the strategic skill learning.

question: how would you compete with dota?
answet: dota is bad on its own. but just for you, to compete, cooler spells, hero balancing(with towers and units), spell balancing, more useful spells(dont push the units back when the hero is melee), longer-lasting, and finally, nicer terrain(yes the terrain isnt THAT good).

no offense to anyone who is a fanatic over dota. thank you.

Level 7
I truly hope I'll never sink as low as I would have to compete with dota.

It's, in my opinion, a shining example of an unbalanced map, made by a person with an extremely bad fantasy, it's like 204% of it has been in other maps before.

Also I hate the selfproclamed "dota-pros" attitudes, like "yeah, I can play dota, I'm just so freaking good, I got to get a medal for being able to kick everyone who hates the map." (uhm, sorry dota freaks)

I wonder what's the IQ of the average Battle.netter.

Whenever an advanced, funny challenging map is hosted at Battle.net, people says it suck cos they're too dumb to figure out the accursed objective even though it's listed somewhere in the map, usually in the quests menu. But when a pile of junk, like dota, every retarded B.netter gets amazed and drops his entire life to play it. Sorry if I offended anyone, this is just the extreme version of my opinion, offending wasn't my intention.

Level 10
Blade.dk2 said:

It's, in my opinion, a shining example of an unbalanced map, made by a person with an extremely bad fantasy, it's like 204% of it has been in other maps before.

Also I hate the selfproclamed "dota-pros" attitudes, like "yeah, I can play dota, I'm just so freaking good, I got to get a medal for being able to kick everyone who hates the map." (uhm, sorry dota freaks)

Whenever an advanced, funny challenging map is hosted at Battle.net, people says it suck cos they're too dumb to figure out the accursed objective even though it's listed somewhere in the map, usually in the quests menu. But when a pile of junk, like dota, every retarded B.netter gets amazed and drops his entire life to play it. Sorry if I offended anyone, this is just the extreme version of my opinion, offending wasn't my intention.

dont worry. i totally agree with you. i especially hate those dota freaks who go into a good AoS such as EC, EotA and Battle for Icecrown(althought i must admit it gets pretty overpowered during high levels) and start saying "this map is so rigged! dota is so much better!" especially when they start getting killed or cant take the advanced features.

Level 1
I loooooooooooooooove DotA :D and whoever says it suks THEY MAY BURN IN....well u no wats next....

BTW looking for helpers for my DOTA-like map
OMENS OF PANDEMONIUM!! :lol:

Level 1
OH I FORGOT!! if u would like to help me add FuRNaCe_DRaGoN to friends :) or add A_E_I_Own_U or D347H_K1D :D plz plz plz help me!! oyea and i agree with the guy that said that we should all make a map :lol: i think its a great idea.

Level 10
A_E_I_Own_U said:
I loooooooooooooooove DotA :D and whoever says it suks THEY MAY BURN IN....well u no wats next....

have fun making a crude and rigged map

Level 4
A_E_I_Own_U when you said we all suck....i take that as an insult an a clas of very high stupidity...just to show the avarage IQ of a DotA player :/ (sry for all you smart people ...that play DotA and realy have nothing in common wiht this guy) but this is how it make me feel...not to make you relize 2 posting is ilegal in the sites rules , flameing others also and this is a topic in whitch is asked "how would you compete with DotA?" NOT a "Hey Lets Flame Because of DotA topics" witch i remeber well a mod said he will instantly close this kind of topics.

Level 3
A_E_I_Own_U said:

*sigh* You double-posted...

A_E_I_Own_U said:
I loooooooooooooooove DotA
Really, I didn't seem to notice after the fourth o, why don't you just add some more in for good measure?

A_E_I_Own_U said:
and whoever says it suks
Argh, sucks, damnit, sucks, add the extra c, I might have let you get away with this one if it weren't for the appaling useage of the english language that was to follow.

A_E_I_Own_U said:
THEY MAY BURN IN....well u no wats next....
Burn in...bunnies? Honestly I don't know what's next, if you're going to flame people just go out and swear, you're already going to be an outcast, just complete it. Perhapes if I typed with caps lock on people would think I was yelling, no, it just makes you look dumb. I'd go into the rest of that sentance but it's beyond hope.

A_E_I_Own_U said:
By the way! No one is going to help you when you talk like that. For the last time, it's not a DotA, a DotA-like map, or any other combination that includes DotA in some way!

Level 3
the worst part about DOTA is the community, also if you notice most of the people who said the liked dota spoke with horrible spelling, grammar and their speech was awful. I'm tempted to make a new version of DOTA with f***'d up features and host it on bnet.

Level 4
My opinion

In my opinion, it's not the game that is horrible, its the people who play it. Yesterday, one of my friends played a DOTA game trying it for the first time. After the game this punk comes into our clan channel and starts cussing and presenting racist comments to my friend. This kid would not stop. I swear, it was as if the world had come to an end. My friend and I were practically stunned. My best friend was being put down and spoken poorly to, just because he thought, it was my friend's fault that their team lost... Come on folks, its just a game. That's probably why so many dislike Dawn of the Ancients.

Level 3
DotA is only good because its been around for so long. The original DotA was good back in the day because it was one of the first to use working custom skins and models in Reign of Chaos. The new DotA kinda sucks but people play it because its the only updated version of DotA.

The only way to compete with DotA is to stop making AoS so complicated and improve gameplay, not models and spells.

Level 4
i remember playig RoC dota for the first time, i think i got that doom guard character somehow, anyway at some point i didnt know everyone but me had left the game and i didnt have a clue, this was in the time my heart would beat faster every time my DH reached lv 6 in single player vs an AI (on a 6 player map, 1v1). looking back at it, leavers have always been a part of dota (nothing new here).

after reading this thread i am afraid to say that i enjoy to play Dota (in non-local banlist games).
in order to try to sympathize with the majority of the posters in this thread, my experience with public dota games (including the ones with local banlists) is that there is usually atleast 1 person who dies early and leaves, there is almost no communication inbetween the teams themselves and everyone generally attack moves untill they can oooobviously own another hero. in local-banlist games i usually get bad ping and the host usually whispers me with u have been banned (After leaving a 3v5-ish game). i have insulted a few of them by saying that i dont want to look at them wank over their kill ratio or godlike streak.

what puts me off pub dota games is:
  • that i am usually the only one that will play to win and put my back into it, keeping 2 hands at the keyboard and carefully timing my attacks for that +45 ish gold from creeps (in addition to killing my creeps to force the other player to leave in frustration).
  • if i dont however manage to win, for whichever bad excuse i sometimes face a situation where i keep playing with a grudge because it is a banlist game (and i cant be sure if he bans me for leaving a 3v5).
  • the "u noob" attitude, the need to insult others for doing something wrong, the :p =D :D emotes from your opponents each time they manage to kill your hero
  • the phenomena of players that stop playing seriously and generally put up a worse performance after they think (according to what they say) their team sucks but that they cant leave because tey'll be banned.
  • the lazy attitude, specificly shown by the selling of leaver items, when a player leaves, items get sold and people will even insult you for using the leaver (not the items).
  • bad banlist-hosts, both pingwise and in the way they ban. pingwise as in they (from what i see) "need" banlist to get people to play under their 800+ ping and in the way they ban as in, banning people on a 3 player versus 5. (refer to the wanking insult)
  • a lot of the fun potential is wasted by a "bad" community, refer to no communication, insults and other bad details.
  • sore loosers (my team sucks, they really do)
however the statement of "DOTASUCKS!!!!" is just wrong in atleast 25 different ways:
  • Dota has a (relatively) worldwise popularity rating that is greater then any other custom map of today
  • many aspects revolving around dota have evolved and been invented, namely Banlist.
  • dota has been around since roc (at some point) and more and more people follow it each day
  • a dota game is the least frustrating to get started, now before you disagree on this compare it to a map that isnt popular but still good, it will fill up but most of the people dont stay for longer then 5 minutes.
  • dota doesnt need a tutorial, most of the players already know how to play
  • dota doesnt cause splits or disconnects (yet)
  • dota(allstars) is supported continually, many obviously bad issues are corrected within weeks.
  • the scale of skill of dota players is mostly favored toward the midle of it, this means that certain overpowered heros dont get recognized as such because people dont know how to play them, this results in varied and thus fun play.
  • dota has an active community, i dont think anyone can argument against this one.

Level 3
Well, people certainly are...opinionated about Defence of the Ancients.

As has been said, DotA has some balance problems. As has also been said, DotA has a vast and devoted following. Therefore any map that would 'compete' with DotA cannot simply be a fix or rebalance or reterrain, or even replace all of the heroes and abilities. It needs some new hook or innovative concept that draws people in. Just being a better DotA than DotA won't dent the map's popularity.

Level 1
Blade.dk2 said:

You offended me, saying you weren't trying to offend someone is like a white man going up to a black man and saying "Yo negro, i don;t mean to offend you, but you can't get this job because your black"

You'r acting like DotA is an 'evil' force thats 'brain washing' people, do you want to know why DotA is so populary?

Its fun.

Not only that, the number of heroes makes a long lasting game, i used to hate DotA, think that the heroes were 'rigged' as i remember one of the first times i played, Zeus with one item, (it was the staff thing that makes the sepcter, sold all my other items to buy it) i was suck a NOOB.

Ok, on to the next quote

Fulla said:

1:The 'riggarded' heroes happen 90% of the time because someone is feeding them ruthlessly, probably you >_>

2:And? it doesn't make it any less fun, so stfu

3:Look at 2 only with noob added at the end

4:FINALY, A VALID REASON, of course its so small it doesn't really matter at all, still, theres hope here!

5:Have you even got to an end of a DotA game!??! (Doubt it, you probably feed Clinkz then scream inbal and leave) when you kill both things your creeps get like 40+ dmg and some hp and armor, if you kill them all it can win the game for you

6:Because this is how it works, creeps are even, plus they upgrade over time and as said in 5 they get improved when you killed the barracks

7: Because that is how it works

8:Not true, me and my friend got in a 2v5 game, at the end it was 2v2 and we were part of the begining 5, i was Lion and i forgot who my friend was, so a leaver can't 'ruin' the game.

Level 5
Ok to compete with dota this is what you need.

A good dota still map with anything orignal or inventive (world of warcraft battlegrounds has been the best contender by far and could of topped dota if crazyfrog uploaded it here because it took forever to dl off someone and you would normally bee kicked. plus game is horribly slow at start.) changing of skins, terrain objectives mini missions etc etc.

then all you have to do is host it as often as you can and put it up on the site. and give it a cool name.

Level 1
In some way I like dota,and for now I found only one map thath I like more blademasterEXO's WoH:Battle for Kalimdor v0.8b...So far You did it great.:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 5
hah, i've been developing a map to counter dota for 2 years now. and in March this year it will enter in alpha stage and i'm assuming it will enter beta stage in octomber-2007, the final version should be out somewhere in Q2 2008.

Level 12
Guys the truth is, DotA is a good map, they do smart techniques even to the level of hard core industries which is based on consumer psychology. The problem with it is that it gets so addictive and competitive that it ruins every other map products that are good or shall we say better than DotA. It's up for the players to realize that playing DotA is risky and blinding. I polled no because DotA had destroyed the fame of my Eternity Calls maps... RoAR!!! lol

Level 4
I tried going against DotA a couple years ago. I attempted to make my own DotA at the time with some friends, it was called DotA Magma. Sadly, Allstars came along and shot it out of the sky so after that I just gave up reviving it. On a lighter note, even if a map isn't designed like DotA, it can still compete with it. Not to sound like I'm bragging but I'll use my footmen war as an example, both maps have about the same amount of heros, are around the same size and are highly addictive once you get into playing. The major difference is, I don't have a whole site, cash prize tournaments, cup holders, soda cans, taco shell wrappers, trading cards, t-shirts, underwear and stickers for my map. (Yea I know that was overkill but atleast its kinda funny). So my point is, its possible to compete with DotA even if your not trying along the lines of an AoS setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.