1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HOW WOULD YOU COMPETE WITH DOTA?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by DragonFire, Aug 27, 2005.

?

Do you like dota?

1. Yes

88.7%
  2. No

10.1%
  3. Never played it

1.2%
  1. blademasterEXO

blademasterEXO

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Heroes UNbalanced? are u playing old dotas or new ones from www.dota-allstars.com? 5 heroes, 3 lanes? whats the matter with that? Killing enemy production building DOES do things. They strengthen ur army in that lane. Destroying all of the enemy's unit production buildings grants ur team Super Creeps. If ur army kills a unit they do give u gold like 10-15.

2. qwerty

qwerty

Resources:
    Resources:
    what he said. the only thing which doesnt attract people to eota is the size map. and the only other thing which doesnt attract noobs is the strategic skill learning.

question: how would you compete with dota?
    answet: dota is bad on its own. but just for you, to compete, cooler spells, hero balancing(with towers and units), spell balancing, more useful spells(dont push the units back when the hero is melee), longer-lasting, and finally, nicer terrain(yes the terrain isnt THAT good).

no offense to anyone who is a fanatic over dota. thank you.

3. Blade.dk2

Blade.dk2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I truly hope I'll never sink as low as I would have to compete with dota.

It's, in my opinion, a shining example of an unbalanced map, made by a person with an extremely bad fantasy, it's like 204% of it has been in other maps before.

Also I hate the selfproclamed "dota-pros" attitudes, like "yeah, I can play dota, I'm just so freaking good, I got to get a medal for being able to kick everyone who hates the map." (uhm, sorry dota freaks)

I wonder what's the IQ of the average Battle.netter.

Whenever an advanced, funny challenging map is hosted at Battle.net, people says it suck cos they're too dumb to figure out the accursed objective even though it's listed somewhere in the map, usually in the quests menu. But when a pile of junk, like dota, every retarded B.netter gets amazed and drops his entire life to play it. Sorry if I offended anyone, this is just the extreme version of my opinion, offending wasn't my intention.

4. qwerty

qwerty

Resources:
    Resources:
    dont worry. i totally agree with you. i especially hate those dota freaks who go into a good AoS such as EC, EotA and Battle for Icecrown(althought i must admit it gets pretty overpowered during high levels) and start saying "this map is so rigged! dota is so much better!" especially when they start getting killed or cant take the advanced features.

5. A_E_I_Own_U

A_E_I_Own_U

Resources:
    Resources:
    I loooooooooooooooove DotA :D and whoever says it suks THEY MAY BURN IN....well u no wats next....

BTW looking for helpers for my DOTA-like map
    OMENS OF PANDEMONIUM!! :lol:

6. A_E_I_Own_U

A_E_I_Own_U

Resources:
    Resources:
    OH I FORGOT!! if u would like to help me add FuRNaCe_DRaGoN to friends :) or add A_E_I_Own_U or D347H_K1D :D plz plz plz help me!! oyea and i agree with the guy that said that we should all make a map :lol: i think its a great idea.

7. qwerty

qwerty

Resources:
    Resources:
    have fun making a crude and rigged map

8. ssj2_Gohan

ssj2_Gohan

Resources:
    Resources:
    A_E_I_Own_U when you said we all suck....i take that as an insult an a clas of very high stupidity...just to show the avarage IQ of a DotA player :/ (sry for all you smart people ...that play DotA and realy have nothing in common wiht this guy) but this is how it make me feel...not to make you relize 2 posting is ilegal in the sites rules , flameing others also and this is a topic in whitch is asked "how would you compete with DotA?" NOT a "Hey Lets Flame Because of DotA topics" witch i remeber well a mod said he will instantly close this kind of topics.

9. JetPack

JetPack

Resources:
    Resources:
    *sigh* You double-posted...

Really, I didn't seem to notice after the fourth o, why don't you just add some more in for good measure?

Argh, sucks, damnit, sucks, add the extra c, I might have let you get away with this one if it weren't for the appaling useage of the english language that was to follow.

Burn in...bunnies? Honestly I don't know what's next, if you're going to flame people just go out and swear, you're already going to be an outcast, just complete it. Perhapes if I typed with caps lock on people would think I was yelling, no, it just makes you look dumb. I'd go into the rest of that sentance but it's beyond hope.

By the way! No one is going to help you when you talk like that. For the last time, it's not a DotA, a DotA-like map, or any other combination that includes DotA in some way!

10. ssj2_Gohan

ssj2_Gohan

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's an AoS (but more arena then aos :/) type of map.

11. Laosh'Ra

Laosh'Ra

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i think the best way to create a competitive aos is the invention of some unique concepts/ideas which change gameplay dramaticly. e.g. tgs and eota have very interesting ideas which increase the fun a lot :roll:

12. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    nonono LaoshRa, tgs is shit :p

13. Solid_Snake

Solid_Snake

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's real simple if you want to compete with Dota.

Just don't play the damn map...

14. U8er_L33t

U8er_L33t

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't really get how the map gets hosted so much, it sucks balls, and the guys who host it are terribly addicted to it.

15. Bobhellbringer

Bobhellbringer

Resources:
    Resources:
    the worst part about DOTA is the community, also if you notice most of the people who said the liked dota spoke with horrible spelling, grammar and their speech was awful. I'm tempted to make a new version of DOTA with f***'d up features and host it on bnet.

16. Solid_Snake

Solid_Snake

Resources:
    Resources:
    My opinion

In my opinion, it's not the game that is horrible, its the people who play it. Yesterday, one of my friends played a DOTA game trying it for the first time. After the game this punk comes into our clan channel and starts cussing and presenting racist comments to my friend. This kid would not stop. I swear, it was as if the world had come to an end. My friend and I were practically stunned. My best friend was being put down and spoken poorly to, just because he thought, it was my friend's fault that their team lost... Come on folks, its just a game. That's probably why so many dislike Dawn of the Ancients.

17. StealthFox

StealthFox

Resources:
    Resources:
    DotA is only good because its been around for so long. The original DotA was good back in the day because it was one of the first to use working custom skins and models in Reign of Chaos. The new DotA kinda sucks but people play it because its the only updated version of DotA.

The only way to compete with DotA is to stop making AoS so complicated and improve gameplay, not models and spells.

18. N00byStance

N00byStance

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Old DotA? You really think these who play Allstars even know about RoC one?

19. spiceant

spiceant

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i remember playig RoC dota for the first time, i think i got that doom guard character somehow, anyway at some point i didnt know everyone but me had left the game and i didnt have a clue, this was in the time my heart would beat faster every time my DH reached lv 6 in single player vs an AI (on a 6 player map, 1v1). looking back at it, leavers have always been a part of dota (nothing new here).

after reading this thread i am afraid to say that i enjoy to play Dota (in non-local banlist games).
    in order to try to sympathize with the majority of the posters in this thread, my experience with public dota games (including the ones with local banlists) is that there is usually atleast 1 person who dies early and leaves, there is almost no communication inbetween the teams themselves and everyone generally attack moves untill they can oooobviously own another hero. in local-banlist games i usually get bad ping and the host usually whispers me with u have been banned (After leaving a 3v5-ish game). i have insulted a few of them by saying that i dont want to look at them wank over their kill ratio or godlike streak.

what puts me off pub dota games is:
    • that i am usually the only one that will play to win and put my back into it, keeping 2 hands at the keyboard and carefully timing my attacks for that +45 ish gold from creeps (in addition to killing my creeps to force the other player to leave in frustration).
    • if i dont however manage to win, for whichever bad excuse i sometimes face a situation where i keep playing with a grudge because it is a banlist game (and i cant be sure if he bans me for leaving a 3v5).
    • the "u noob" attitude, the need to insult others for doing something wrong, the :p =D :D emotes from your opponents each time they manage to kill your hero
    • the phenomena of players that stop playing seriously and generally put up a worse performance after they think (according to what they say) their team sucks but that they cant leave because tey'll be banned.
    • the lazy attitude, specificly shown by the selling of leaver items, when a player leaves, items get sold and people will even insult you for using the leaver (not the items).
    • bad banlist-hosts, both pingwise and in the way they ban. pingwise as in they (from what i see) "need" banlist to get people to play under their 800+ ping and in the way they ban as in, banning people on a 3 player versus 5. (refer to the wanking insult)
    • a lot of the fun potential is wasted by a "bad" community, refer to no communication, insults and other bad details.
    • sore loosers (my team sucks, they really do)
    however the statement of "DOTASUCKS!!!!" is just wrong in atleast 25 different ways:
    • Dota has a (relatively) worldwise popularity rating that is greater then any other custom map of today
    • many aspects revolving around dota have evolved and been invented, namely Banlist.
    • dota has been around since roc (at some point) and more and more people follow it each day
    • a dota game is the least frustrating to get started, now before you disagree on this compare it to a map that isnt popular but still good, it will fill up but most of the people dont stay for longer then 5 minutes.
    • dota doesnt need a tutorial, most of the players already know how to play
    • dota doesnt cause splits or disconnects (yet)
    • dota(allstars) is supported continually, many obviously bad issues are corrected within weeks.
    • the scale of skill of dota players is mostly favored toward the midle of it, this means that certain overpowered heros dont get recognized as such because people dont know how to play them, this results in varied and thus fun play.
    • dota has an active community, i dont think anyone can argument against this one.

20. Lord Nightbringer

Lord Nightbringer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, people certainly are...opinionated about Defence of the Ancients.

As has been said, DotA has some balance problems. As has also been said, DotA has a vast and devoted following. Therefore any map that would 'compete' with DotA cannot simply be a fix or rebalance or reterrain, or even replace all of the heroes and abilities. It needs some new hook or innovative concept that draws people in. Just being a better DotA than DotA won't dent the map's popularity.