• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to use Unit Attachments

Level 10
Tutorial on how to use attachments WITHOUT triggers.

If you want to give a unit a weapon, piece of clothing
or anything that would be an attachment without using triggers, this
should help!

Updated: Now with screenshots! - Please comment if they're not working for you.

First, create a passive ability (this is important) and
remove all the effects, change it's "Art - Target" to the model of whatever
you're attaching to the unit, change "Art - Attachment Point 1" to the
attachment point* that you want the thing to be attached to. Give the
ability to an item if you want the unit to have the thing attached to him only
when the item is in the unit's inventory or give it to the unit if you want the
unit to always have the thing attached to it.

*Attachment Points:
Overhead
Head, Chest, Origin, Hand, Foot, Weapon, Sprite, Medium, Large, Right Hand, Left Hand, Right Foot, Left Foot, Front Right Foot (Animals), Front Left Foot (Animals), Back Right Foot (Animals), Back Left Foot (Animals), First Sprite (Buildings), Second Sprite (Buildings), Third Sprite (Buildings), Fourth Sprite (Buildings), Fifth Sprite (Buildings), Sixth Sprite (Buildings), Rallypoint Sprite (Buildings), First Medium (Buildings), Second Medium (Buildings), Third Medium (Buildings), Fourth Medium (Buildings), Fifth, Medium (Buildings), Sixth Medium (Buildings), Rallypoint Medium (Buildings), First Large (Buildings), Second Large (Buildings), Third Large (Buildings), Fourth Large (Buildings), Fifth Large (Buildings), Sixth Large (Buildings)

Screenshots:
Creating the ability
Create%20Ability.jpg

Modifying the ability
Untitled.jpg

Adding the ability
Untitled1.jpg

Testing
2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 19
First of all, this does not belong here, it must be in the "Tutorial Submission" section.
Secondly, its not a tutorial since its violates some of the rules
- Its not explained very well
- Does not have any screenshots
- Its too colored, which should be avoided

Read the rules here before doing such things...
Ask a moderator to move this and make it look like a real tutorial, for example look at the others tutorials...

Level 10
It woulden't be very possible to explain it more without making it sound like cave man talk and have 50 really short steps. I think the steps are clear enough to not require screenshots... "create an ability", pretty obvious, "Art - Target", pretty obvious, I explain almost everything so unless you want a screenshot for every 5 words I don't think it needs any... but whatever -.-

The colors are to sepetate the title, the information and the... other information, the colors help...

Edit: I added screenshots.

Last edited:
Level 6
i think this is a simple but efficient tutorial Easy, Dosnt take 20 Min. to read like 1/2 of the other unit attachment tut. on THW.

+rep for tutorail that gets to the point
-rep for me for fail spelling xD

Last edited:
Level 6
MotAr- This is what the rules say btw

Try to explain yourself with as much detail as possible: include screenshots if needed.

It says if needed NOT you must

As for the colors

avoid using too many colored lines (words wrapped with color tags)

Does not say "you cannot use more than 2 colors" it just says try not to use to many

But i think the other people here can say its has all it needs, just maybe a few mistakes