• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buffs: All about buffs

Buffs: All about buffs

by x-omg-x

Difficulty:
[2/10] Easy

Hi everybody!
Im x-omg-x, maybe you know me, maybe not.
Anyways, i will go try to stay to the topic.
Today, im going to show what buffs does and how to use them.
Below, you can see all the lines in the object editor: buffs and what they do.
Hope you understand, and that its useful. If you have any questions just say me.
~x-omg-x​

Step 1

Art - Effect: Not used by many abillities, but it can show a special effect when using a spell.
Art - Effect attachment point: This is where the effect above is placed on a casting/targeted unit.
Art - Icon: The icon for the buff. Will be shown in the status border on a unit, if it has the buff. None, will make the buff invisible.
Art - Lightning: Not used by many abillities, but spells like chain lightning uses the field to create the lightnings.
Art - Missile arc: The size of the chosen effect below.
Art - Missile art: the fireball spell eg. uses this field for the fireball. Its the effect flying from the caster to a target.
Art - Missile homing enabled: When enabled, it makes the missile come back to the caster after it hitted its target.
Art - Missile speed: The speed of the missile, fired from a spell eg. fireball or hurl stone.
Art - Required spell detail: When high/medium, the special effects wont be shown for users that have their spell detail to low.
Art - Special: The special effect showing up, but only on some spells.
Art - Special attachment point: This is where the effect above is placed on a casting/targeted unit.
Art - Target: The special effect showing up on the target of the abillity. If the spell is no-targeted, it will show up at hitted units.
Art - Target attachment point: This is where the effect above is placed on the targeted unit.
Art - Attachments: The number of attachments used. If you only use 1, just set the field to 1.
Sound - Effect sound: The sound playing when the buff is worn by a unit.
Sound - Effect sound (looping): The sound playing when casting the buff.
Stats - Is an effect: When enabled, it turns the buff into an effect. Effects is used for special abillities such as starfall.
Stats - Race: The race of the buff. Doesnt matter, it only shows up in the world editor.
Text - Editor suffix: An attachment to the buff name, only shows up in the world editor.
Text - Name (editor only): The buffs' name. Also, only shows up in the world editor.
Text - Tooltip: The name of the buff shown ingame.
Text - Extended: This is the text about the tooltip. This text normally contains information about what the buff does.

Step 2

Now, you should know everything about how to make buffs. Now we are going to make our buff.
I will make a buff for a passive divine shield abillity. You can do the step with a different buff, i just want to show you have to do this one.
First of all, i will create the buff, by pressing 'New custom buff/effect' and base it off of divine shield buff.
After i have created it, i change the icon to a fitting icon. In this case i will set it to Lightning Shield.
Then i will create the effect that comes around the hero when turning the shield on.
I set 'Art - Target' to the mana shield effect because it fits the spell better than the real divine shield effect.
Now i have to decide where on the hero the shield should appear. In this case 'origin' fits best. You can try out different attachment points, here are the full list of attachments:

* Overhead
* Head
* Chest
* Origin
* Hand
* Foot
* Weapon
* Sprite
* Medium
* Large
* Right Hand
* Left Hand
* Right Foot
* Left Foot
* Front Right Foot (Animals)
* Front Left Foot (Animals)
* Back Right Foot (Animals)
* Back Left Foot (Animals)
* First Sprite (Buildings)
* Second Sprite (Buildings)
* Third Sprite (Buildings)
* Fourth Sprite (Buildings)
* Fifth Sprite (Buildings)
* Sixth Sprite (Buildings)
* Rallypoint Sprite (Buildings)
* First Medium (Buildings)
* Second Medium (Buildings)
* Third Medium (Buildings)
* Fourth Medium (Buildings)
* Fifth Medium (Buildings)
* Sixth Medium (Buildings)
* Rallypoint Medium (Buildings)
* First Large (Buildings)
* Second Large (Buildings)
* Third Large (Buildings)
* Fourth Large (Buildings)
* Fifth Large (Buildings)
* Sixth Large (Buildings)

Thanks to PurgeandFire111 for the list.

Notice, that not all units uses all the attachments above.
Okay, now we have decided the effect, and its time for the sounds.
I wont use any sounds for my buff, because the spell allready use a sound.
Thats why sounds on buffs isnt used that much, but you are free to add a sound.

Now to the race. My hero is a human, my spell is a human spell and then my buff also is human.
It doesnt really matter, what you set it to, it wont affact anything ingame.
Now, the name of my buff. I will set 'Text - Name (Editor Only)' to Passive Divine Shield.
The tooltip will be set to Passive Divine Shield too, and the extended tooltip wont be changed, because my divine shield did the same as the original divine shield. You can write something short about what the unit's buff does. In my case its set to:

This unit is under the effect of Divine Shield; it is invulnerable for a short amount of time.

Now we have done our buff and its ready to be added to the spell. Go to your spell and set 'Stats - Buffs' to your buff.
You have succefully done a buff and its ready to be shown to the public.
If you arent 100% satisfied with your buff, try to edit some of the effects or attachment points until your result is fine.

If you have any questions about the tutorial just send me a private message
I hope this information helped you and that you enjoyed it
Have fun with your new and customized buff

~x-omg-x

Last edited:
Level 6
This isn't "All about buffs" actually it only shows the lines of the object editor that you MAY have to edit. The lines aren't very well explained, for example "Art - Missile speed: The speed of the missile." Obviously it is the Speed of the missile, but some people don't know what the missile is...

Resuming:
This isn't a tutorial (This isn't telling anyone how to make a buff, is it?).
Overall Score: 3/10

This isn't "All about buffs" actually it only shows the lines of the object editor that you MAY have to edit. The lines aren't very well explained, for example "Art - Missile speed: The speed of the missile." Obviously it is the Speed of the missile, but some people don't know what the missile is...

Resuming:
This isn't a tutorial (This isn't telling anyone how to make a buff, is it?).
Overall Score: 3/10

Okay, fixed the missile thing. Is it better now?
Also, i will try to add something about how to use buffs.

[edit] What do you think about it now?

Last edited:
Level 8
To be honest, I haven't learnt anything. Here is what I would call ALL about buffs:

The Buff Editor - Done
The difference between buffs and effects
How to detect a buff in the trigger editor
What kind of abilities need buffs
How to use buffs in ways besides the traditional way

Level 16
Seas =9

First of all I think it's a very good idea to get a tutorial about it, because buffs are needed in each map and it's good to know everything about them.

But I need to say some things:

1) Don't know but for me it was somehow hard to read. Look at "Step 1" you should get something like headlines "ART" "SOUND" "TEXT" and list everything under it. Same thing with the Step 2 table <-- it's only for a better view.

2) But I agree: If you say "All about buffs" you maybe should add this with trigger and a short comment about the difference between buffs and effects. It's not directly "Buff - All about it" but it belongs to it ( ... )

3) Maybe short tip: If you use for example unholy aura with negative values and for enemies, you should change the buff color of the buff ( from green to red because it's not a "good buff" anymore )

Level 2
How do you make buffs more powerful?
eg.: increase speed is faster or slower

I'm trying to make an abiliy –run– based on the immolation ability, so that it drains mana as it is used. I gave the ability the 'speed bonus' buff, but the unit moves at the same speed as one not using the ability.

Last edited:
The explanations were good but the tutorial is overall a bit short. Generally, "All about buffs" would include triggers for buffs too, eh? =P

Update/notify me about the tutorial within a week else it is off to the graveyard. =)

EDIT:

No updates have been made within a week. Please notify me if you are willing to update again/if I have made a mistake.
~Graveyarded.

Last edited: