• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to replace the splash screen of Warcraft III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
sry this might be stupid, but if you cannot find a way to change the screen, you could run a splash screen yourself, that is exactly overlapping the blizzard one to hide it.. I know it would be probably ugly ...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The splat screen should not even show anymore on modern computers. It only appears if loading takes more than a few seconds, which given how simple WC3 is can only happen if the program is not in the file cache and if a modern mechanical drive is under heavy I/O strain.

The reason the splat screen existed was as a liveliness prompt while the CD protection was run, which took considerable time due to the slow speed of CD drives. As that was removed in a patch and computers are considerably faster today its existence is limited to appearances in extreme cases only.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In my case, the screen flashes for some very short time before wc3 starts, but I can still see it. Loading takes less then a second but I can still see the screen come up
Yeh, but it should flash so quickly that no one really cares about it anyway. As I said, it only exists as a liveliness prompt for the now removed CD protection. Far better to use the standard executable when possible, this is better for future compatibility since when updates are released you do not need to worry about the executable changing.

Level 26
If anyone is interested in this: I wrote a Qt application which starts my .exe file as process and creates a QSplashScreen on top which overlays Warcraft's splash screen. So I don't have to modify the .exe file. Unfortunately the flag Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint does not always work, so I asked on Stack Overflow: Hiding the splash screen of another process with a custom splash screen

Apparently they immediately thought I would do plagiarism etc. -.-

If I find the propery flags in Qt everything should work fine. Most of the time it works but sometimes Warcraft's splash screen is still on top. Of course I will add Blizzards Copyright to the splash screen :/
Here you can find the source code: gitweb.wc3lib.org Git - dmdf.git/tree - splash/TPoFSplash/

If anyone is interested in this: I wrote a Qt application which starts my .exe file as process and creates a QSplashScreen on top which overlays Warcraft's splash screen. So I don't have to modify the .exe file. Unfortunately the flag Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint does not always work, so I asked on Stack Overflow: Hiding the splash screen of another process with a custom splash screen

Apparently they immediately thought I would do plagiarism etc. -.-

If I find the propery flags in Qt everything should work fine. Most of the time it works but sometimes Warcraft's splash screen is still on top. Of course I will add Blizzards Copyright to the splash screen :/
Here you can find the source code: gitweb.wc3lib.org Git - dmdf.git/tree - splash/TPoFSplash/

You don't have to create one on top of the old one. Run "War3.exe" directly and it will show no splash screen.

Hm then I will have to use war3.exe with MPQDraft. But when I select the path customly it says that the filename and path must exactly match the file name AND path I have entered. Isn't that a problem when I distribute my custom .exe file.

You will be able to rename your .exe later on.

Level 26
Okay, I hope it finds the path for other uses in the registry. Thanks!

edit:
Using a direct path to war3.exe does not work with MPQDraft. It won't use the registy path of Warcraft and therefore it won't find Warcraft at other player's computers.

Therfore I still use my splash screen overlay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.