1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How to Make Easy Waterfalls

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by RoboHippo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. RoboHippo

RoboHippo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Easy Waterfalls

Do you like waterfalls?
    I sure do, but Warcraft 3's terrain doesn't allow a great deal of complexity. So, we must resort to trickery. You may now be thinking: "omg haxx lol". There will be none of that. This is a quick, easy way of making a waterfall, that won't involve anything complicated.

NOTE:Height adjustment is your friend. It'll be very important in the positioning of doodads. Just press control-pageup/down to move it. For us laptoppers, it's function-control-up/down arrow.

To start with...
    We need to set up the actual terrain upon which we will create our waterfall. For the purpose of this tutorial, I'm going to use a difference of 2 between the two levels of terrain. You can use less, or more distance as you see fit.

So, I'll start with this:
    WaterFall1.jpg

Yes, it's ugly, but that's not the focus, here.

Now, we need rocks.
    Despite its somewhat lacking terrain engine, Warcraft 3 has some very impressive options with its doodads, allowing workarounds such as this (you could make a waterfall upside-down if you wanted to).

But back to the rocks. They'll form pretty much the entire cliff face for our waterfall, eschewing a simple flat wall, with a lump in it. However, we run into a minor problem. The rocks require a certain amount of spacing in between them. This won't do!

So, open the object editor, and in the doodads tab, find the desired rocks, and create a custom version. Select the "Pathing - Pathing Texture" option. We'll need something with no collision, so let's go to "doodads" in the drop down menu, and select "Vines Thorny...".

Now, let's take our new doodad, and apply it liberally to the cliff face (ensure that all the randomness options are on, for best effect).

Here's my result:
    WaterFall2.jpg

But don't waterfalls have water?... Falling?
    An astute observation! The next step is quite simple: placing the waterfall doodads, which can be found in the water tab of the doodads palette. Only having one colour, though, it looks out of place in some tilesets.

Though the basic idea of this step is quite simple, the execution can be the object of your attention for quite a while. Using different sizes, you can get a real sense of flow between the rocks you've placed. You needn't completely cover the cliff!

I think I did a pretty decent job here:
    WaterFall3.jpg

But it's so lifeless!
    Then let there be life! Using all the various plants Blizzard has so kindly left at our disposal, we can add that extra bit of detail to the scene. Be sure to make use of floating plants as well. In mine, I added a couple of rocks near the base of the waterfall for a bit of asymmetry, making it look somewhat more natural.

That ought to do it:
    WaterFall4.jpg

And there we have it!
    That's fairly complete, but you don't have to stop there. If you're going for a bigger, faster waterfall, try using the "Bubbles Steam" water doodad. Its steam effect is very similar to the spray that a waterfall might create. Or, you could add a wrecked boat at the base for a little accent, or some fish. Get creative, and add your own personal touch.

Happy terraining!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  2. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Remove the fixed water level and redo it please.
    You can actually have way better waterfalls then this.

But for the basic it's ok I guess.

3. RoboHippo

RoboHippo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This isn't for the pure terrainers. It's more for a little bit of eyecandy in-game, and as such, isn't super-detailed or complicated.

And, in no way did I imply that this is the very best way to make one. :wink:

4. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow the end result was actually quite impressive, good work.

5. RoboHippo

RoboHippo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks! :smile:

6. Azeroc

Azeroc

Resources:
    Resources:
    You know, you can place doodads on each other with Shift button (You can't place it 100% correctly on each other, but example at least by one pathing tile untouched.)

Also doodads with no pathing are extremely hard for symmetrical purposes (Eg. if you want to make good castle with nice custom doodads and etc. , especially walls).

7. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    Symmetry is ugly anyways, and never occurs naturally.

8. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nice tutorial, I don't find anything wrong with it. I did change the colors of the heading though to match the theme, basically I made it have a bit more contrast for readability. I'll approve it now, good job.

9. doom3607

doom3607

Resources:
    Resources:
    If symmetry is always ugly and never occurs naturally, explain (some) humans, please.

10. Azeroc

Azeroc

Resources:
    Resources:
  11. RoboHippo

RoboHippo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I believe he was referring to symmetry among a group of objects, not symmetry of one object.

It makes sense for animals to have a line of symmetry, for balance. That does not mean that rocks need to occur in perfect rows.

12. flowmic

flowmic

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not bad but there is far less complicated way to creat beter lookin water fall but that might look good with dinamic water levels and using diferint types of scales and coulers

forive the typos

13. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why don't you share these easier ways then?

14. HeheSylvanas

HeheSylvanas

Resources:
    Resources:
    I thought that your waterfall gives a feeling.. It's quite Beautiful.. I would add some birds :*