• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How to hide hit points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click on the unit in the object editor, and then shift-click the hp value and enter a value that is greater than 1000000, or something.

When wc3 can't fit the hp text in the portrait view, it just hides the text.

If you want the unit to have less than a million life but still have the hp hidden, then you could try triggering the unit to die when his hp reaches 1000000 - X (where X is the actual hp you want). The main issue with this is that the unit's health bar won't reflect that (e.g. if you press alt). Maybe someone knows a better way?

Level 11
One warning about huge health/mana values: Wc3 stores these as floats, and if you get too large of numbers, you'll start getting floating point errors. The limits in the world editor are set as they are to try and prevent this.

In one of my maps a unit had a ridiculous amount of mana, but casting spells with ~100 mana costs had really odd behavior (including not actually costing any mana at all). If you don't care about that then everything should be fine.

Level 8
i have question regarding this question,

but just the opposite,

How to "FORCE SHOW" the hit points of a unit?
eventhough it has huge health/mana values?
the hit point is between 500k until 10million, something like that

anyway i am using warcraft old version, 1.26/1.27?

any suggestion guys?

@Dr Super Good

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50

but just the opposite,

any suggestion guys?

@Dr Super Good
No idea. I just thought it was ridiculous to have such high HP values that mapmakers might do better with more reasonable damage/HP.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

but just the opposite,

any suggestion guys?
I guess you could potentially do it by editing UI stuff but that would be a waste of time if you don't intend to have a custom UI overall.

Level 8
What can i do, RF Online based on War Never End, thats their motto,

i try to implement that on my map, this map has unlimited upgrade feature and difficulties, so yes it is possible in this map, that mapmaker, consciously make that much much hp.

anyway i see in dracolich dota, he make such pressing alt on keyboard, the health point number is displayed, something like that..

there is no simplier way for that?

but so far i think its still safe, never occured fatal error due too much hp..
i think i put most 10 million perhaps..

if you really have play RF Online, you must know that the Control Chip has so much hp..haha

yes scaling idea is make sense, but its okey then as long as not fatal error yet..

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Another way to show it would be to put temporary floating text over the unit you are attacking/damaging, But if the number is too big you'd still need to change the system to something like 10x100 or 10³ and dynamically trigger it to change as that unit gets its HP lowered or restored.
You could also spam text messages with this stuff when you damage a specific unit and the text can say the unit's name and its HP. The text should automatically clear when another should appear so you won't have your screen cluttered.

EDIT: yet another way considering the shorter number version text as mentioned above, would be to put this text under the unit's name when you click on it and update it via triggers. Basically, you rename the unit every time it gets damaged or healed.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
thats good idea, eventhoug i never see others do that, because
my case is special i think..
I did the unit name thing for a StarCraft protoss shield-like system:
footmenshields-png.330351

Level 8
yes i like the idea to make the health point below the hero,
and update it periodically, and i need to think such presentation, simple, short
and not cluttered the screen also..

anyway my map updated, you may test it on 1.30.4++, i dont know it is work or not in later version, but you may try

Status
Not open for further replies.